Monitor this thread via RSS [?]

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 :: one page
Author Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 3 post(s)
Verone
Verone

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2005.09.09 10:01:00 - [1]

MY NAME IS VERONE OF SNIGG, AND I'M GOING TO KILL YOU TILL YOU DIE FROM IT!
Verone
Verone

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2005.09.09 10:01:00 - [2]

Edited by: Verone on 09/09/2005 10:04:15
(I realise that someone has already brought this topic up before, but i've made this post to be linked to in the "new pirates" sticky at the top of this forum)

So, you've got your newest piece of kit, and you've been practicing your "YARRR!11!!!!" on all your friends. What next? How do you survive on the income of a pirate? How does a pirate actually make isk??? What the hell does that button do anyway???Surprised

Here's a few tips to get you started:

Starting Out:

You'll find out that getting used to pirating, and making it work as a source of income is a difficult thing to do, and can drain your wallet fast if you don't pirate sensibly.

Piracy occurs on many different levels, and in many different forms, from small to large scale belt raids, to sentry tanking-gate camping mass mayhem. Your choice of ship depends entirely on the type of piracy you want to engage in.

Choosing A Ship:

I'd advise you to do what I did. At first, think small. Use disposable ships, like tech1 frigates and cruisers. The ideal t1 frigate for pirating is a Rifter or a Punisher, and i've seen some of our new guys run around sucessfully in an Incursus too.

You need to accept the fact that you're going to lose a lot of ships, and probably get podded a few times to start out with, so keep your losses to a minimum till you get the hang of it.

When you're confident with flying frigates, and effectively ransoming or killing people, try moving up to a cruiser. A close range fitted platerax, a close range, tanked rupture or a Dura-Maller usually works well. I've also seen some sucess from rookie pirates in Moa's and blackbirds too. Your ship needs to be fast, and needs to have enough midlots to run at least a MWD and a Scrambler.

Like I said, try to think small at first, and never underestimate those you're fighting. Even if it's some guy mining solo in a thorax in a belt, and you attack him in a frigate, or weakly tanked cruiser, there's nothing to say he doesn't have a webber/disruptor and some heavy drones waiting for you.

Ransom Prices :

The easiest way to make cash I've found is to ransom ships, people are willing to pay more to preserve their ship and fitting, than they are to see it go up in smoke and end up in an egg with you demanding ISK. You'll find that if you just go around blowing people up, a lot of people won't trust your word to let them go after a ransom, and won't pay up. You'll also find that if you don't ransom, the returns from actually killing someone are pretty low, and you can't survive on that forever.

To ransom a ship I generally start the price off at half the market value of the vessel, and then depending on character age, and possible fitting, the price can decrease or increase as I see fit.

Everyone's price is different, depending on their age and employment history, and how they behave in convo can also have an effect on the direction the price goes, so remember customers, be nice Wink.

Most people i've found are happy to pay the ransom to survive intact. Things you should watch out for though, are pretty apparent when you start to pirate:

> Your customer stalling for time. (His friends are probably trying to organise a rescue mission)

> Wrong size payments. (You ask for 15m, he gives you 1.5m, an old trick, and it can catch you out at a quick glance)

> Numbers in Local Swelling. (Probably a good idea to tell him to hurry up)

If he can't pay the ransom there are several steps you can take to get a positive outcome on your front.

> Shoot. Kill that sucker, and watch his bits spill into space, ripe for the picking. Then ransom the pod if you catch it. Twisted Evil

> If he doesn't have the ISK, ask him to eject, and you'll spare his life, and he can leave in a pod (This may sound dumb but it works, i've gotten several free ships out of this, including a megathron and a scorpion).

YARRRR!!

Verone
Verone
Veto Corp

Posted - 2005.09.09 10:01:00 - [3]

So, you've got your newest piece of kit, and you've been practicing your "YARRR!11!!!!" on all your friends. What next? How do you survive on the income of a pirate? How does a pirate actually make isk??? What the hell does that button do anyway???Surprised

Here's a few tips to get you started:

Starting Out:

You'll find out that getting used to pirating, and making it work as a source of income is a difficult thing to do, and can drain your wallet fast if you don't pirate sensibly.

Piracy occurs on many different levels, and in many different forms, from small to large scale belt raids, to sentry tanking-gate camping mass mayhem. Your choice of ship depends entirely on the type of piracy you want to engage in.

Choosing A Ship:

I'd advise you to do what I did. At first, think small. Use disposable ships, like tech1 frigates and cruisers. The ideal t1 frigate for pirating is a Rifter or a Punisher, and i've seen some of our new guys run around sucessfully in an Incursus too.

You need to accept the fact that you're going to lose a lot of ships, and probably get podded a few times to start out with, so keep your losses to a minimum till you get the hang of it.

When you're confident with flying frigates, and effectively ransoming or killing people, try moving up to a cruiser. A close range fitted platerax, a close range, tanked rupture or a Dura-Maller usually works well. I've also seen some sucess from rookie pirates in Moa's and blackbirds too. Your ship needs to be fast, and needs to have enough midlots to run at least a MWD and a Scrambler.

Like I said, try to think small at first, and never underestimate those you're fighting. Even if it's some guy mining solo in a thorax in a belt, and you attack him in a frigate, or weakly tanked cruiser, there's nothing to say he doesn't have a webber/disruptor and some heavy drones waiting for you.

Ransom Prices :

The easiest way to make cash I've found is to ransom ships, people are willing to pay more to preserve their ship and fitting, than they are to see it go up in smoke and end up in an egg with you demanding ISK. You'll find that if you just go around blowing people up, a lot of people won't trust your word to let them go after a ransom, and won't pay up. You'll also find that if you don't ransom, the returns from actually killing someone are pretty low, and you can't survive on that forever.

To ransom a ship I generally start the price off at half the market value of the vessel, and then depending on character age, and possible fitting, the price can decrease or increase as I see fit.

Everyone's price is different, depending on their age and employment history, and how they behave in convo can also have an effect on the direction the price goes, so remember customers, be nice Wink.

Most people i've found are happy to pay the ransom to survive intact. Things you should watch out for though, are pretty apparent when you start to pirate:

> Your customer stalling for time. (His friends are probably trying to organise a rescue mission)

> Wrong size payments. (You ask for 15m, he gives you 1.5m, an old trick, and it can catch you out at a quick glance)

> Numbers in Local Swelling. (Probably a good idea to tell him to hurry up)

If he can't pay the ransom there are several steps you can take to get a positive outcome on your front.

> Shoot. Kill that sucker, and watch his bits spill into space, ripe for the picking. Then ransom the pod if you catch it. Twisted Evil

> If he doesn't have the ISK, ask him to eject, and you'll spare his life, and he can leave in a pod (This may sound dumb but it works, i've gotten several free ships out of this, including a megathron and a scorpion).

YARRRR!!

>>> THE BEAUTY OF NEW EDEN <<<

Verone
Verone
Veto Corp

Posted - 2005.09.09 10:01:00 - [4]

Pod Ransom Prices :

Well basically, this is to your discression. If you catch and egg early in your career, then you're off to a good start, they're pesky little buggers to snag.

Basically, when ransoming a pod, take a few things into consideration:

> Character age - if he's young, his clone is cheap, and he prolly doesn't have implants, if he's old, raise the stakes, he can probably afford it. YARRRR!!)

> Corp and history - If he's an alliance member, or part of a large corp, chances are he'll have a bulging wallet, and will be packed to the gills with implants, so, again, raise the stakes, and make him pay for what he's worth.

> Attitude - Smacktalk is bad, we know people get mad about losing ships, but it's not nice to abuse someone verbally. so... Drop another few mil on per insult YARRRR!!.

Pod ransom prices are varied, so use common sense to get the best deal, and let your victim bargain with you. The key here is not to beleive him when he says "OMG you scoundrel! I have no implants!", hike the price up, and see how he reacts.

The Unexpected :

From time to time, crazy things will happen, it's wise to keep a cool head to avoid losing your ship or getting confused (and no, i don't mean by waring an ice pack).

Basically, here are a few things that have happened to me in the past:

> Overview lightup : You're sat happily ransoming someone, and lots of red flashing squares appear on your overview. Oh Dear. It's time to leave, his friends have arrived. Think about this logically, if you feel confident fighting them, then go right ahead, but use common sense, and don't engage three HAC's in a cruiser or you'll go home in an Egg or a Vat.

> Log outs : Yes, it happens, if it does, kill him. It shouldn't be tolerated. If he logs back in before he dies however, you can use this to your advantage. Myself and a wingman managed to get 40 million isk out of a caracal pilot who logged out on us, by adding ISK to his ransom every time he did so (a total of 4 times), it happens now and again, so stay on your guard.

> Stabs : Yes, the pirate's worst enemy. WCS help a victim escape, if he escapes, and you've agressed him, don't follow him to a gate/station, it's not good for your heath, and you'll lose your ship to sentries. This may seem to go without saying, but i've had people say "Oh crap, what did i just do?" on teamspeak as they're hurled into warp, and they realise actually how silly they are. Laughing

> Fighting back : The best part of piracy, when your victim fights back. If you're winning, open a convo and ask him if he wats to live, to shops shooting and negotiate a price. If not, I beleve an infuential member of the community one said "End of Descushun, Deth to all", you die, or he dies, and that settles it, jsut try to get your egg out, if you pop, because it's kind of embarassing being sat in a pod and being asked by your intended victin for a release price Laughing (It's happened to me once before Embarassed, and no, i didn't pay Very Happy)

In effect, just stay on your toes, don't fly anything you can't afford to replace, and you should be set for a life of rum, prosperity and gallente wenches YARRRR!!

Use your head, and evaluate a situation before running in screaming "YARRR!!!111!" in local.

Another thing to remeber, is keep it clean, to the point and factual when ransoming, take no crap, and give a time limit for payment. I usually give one minute, which is more than enough to type all those lovely 0's Very Happy

Verone
Verone

Posted - 2005.09.09 10:02:00 - [5]

Edited by: Verone on 09/09/2005 10:01:54

UNDER CONSTRUCTION YARRRR!!

Verone
Verone
Veto Corp

Posted - 2005.09.09 10:02:00 - [6]

In short, Keep your head on your shoulders, and think about all the possible outcomes of a situation before heading into it.

Don't be too hesitant, but at the same time be as fast as you can, because your target will twig that you're in local eventually, and looking to mine the plating off his hull YARRRR!!

Honor your word, be polite and use good judgement, and you'll suceed as a true pirate.

And remember, steal cake from teh fridge whenever you get the chance YARRRR!!.

Any questions, or further detailing you need after reading this, drop me an eve-mail in game, and I'll be happy to help.

Good luck, and don't die too much while you're learning. Very Happy

Dark Shikari13
Dark Shikari13

Posted - 2005.09.09 10:09:00 - [7]

\o/
--
Lame, lame, lame. This is Dark Shikari, but I forgot to renew my account (LOL). Be back on my main in a day or two.
Dark Shikari13
Dark Shikari13

Posted - 2005.09.09 10:09:00 - [8]

\o/
--
Lame, lame, lame. This is Dark Shikari, but I forgot to renew my account (LOL). Be back on my main in a day or two.
Seleene
Seleene

Posted - 2005.09.09 10:31:00 - [9]

Verone, you should have been in Space Invaders.... Cool
-

We're outnumbered! That simplifies the problem!
Seleene
Seleene
Body Count Inc.
Mercenary Coalition

Posted - 2005.09.09 10:31:00 - [10]

-

THIS FLEET FOR RENT!
PsyBoRG
PsyBoRG

Posted - 2005.09.09 10:33:00 - [11]

or "cough" get random low level research agent "cough" do nothing and get a t2 bpo Rolling Eyes
Verone
Verone

Posted - 2005.09.09 10:33:00 - [12]

Originally by: Seleene

I'm a nub in comparison Embarassed

Verone
Verone
Veto Corp

Posted - 2005.09.09 10:33:00 - [13]

Originally by: Seleene

I'm a nub in comparison Embarassed

PsyBoRG
PsyBoRG

Posted - 2005.09.09 10:33:00 - [14]

or "cough" get random low level research agent "cough" do nothing and get a t2 bpo Rolling Eyes
Verone
Verone

Posted - 2005.09.09 10:37:00 - [15]

Originally by: PsyBoRG

Yeah, you could do that too Very Happy

Verone
Verone
Veto Corp

Posted - 2005.09.09 10:37:00 - [16]

Originally by: PsyBoRG

Yeah, you could do that too Very Happy

PsyBoRG
PsyBoRG

Posted - 2005.09.09 10:41:00 - [17]

i hate u Evil or Very Mad
PsyBoRG
PsyBoRG

Posted - 2005.09.09 10:41:00 - [18]

i hate u Evil or Very Mad
FireFoxx80
FireFoxx80

Posted - 2005.09.09 10:42:00 - [19]

But in a small ship, incapable of tanking sentries. Doesn't that rule out any piracy in 0.1-0.4, except for around belts/planets?

Possibly one of the 23 # ex: P-TMC | USAC
FireFoxx80
FireFoxx80
Caldari
E X O D U S
Imperial Republic Of the North

Posted - 2005.09.09 10:42:00 - [20]

But in a small ship, incapable of tanking sentries. Doesn't that rule out any piracy in 0.1-0.4, except for around belts/planets?

What I do the rest of the time - Vote for a Jita bypass!
PsyBoRG
PsyBoRG

Posted - 2005.09.09 11:00:00 - [21]

Originally by: FireFoxx80

we do our pirating in belts and our ganking/sniping at gate's

u cant really ransom ppl solo at gate's thus they must be killed its possible to ransom if u got 5-6 ppl tanking sentry guns though and we have done it in the past but its alot more tricky
PsyBoRG
PsyBoRG

Posted - 2005.09.09 11:00:00 - [22]

Originally by: FireFoxx80

we do our pirating in belts and our ganking/sniping at gate's

u cant really ransom ppl solo at gate's thus they must be killed its possible to ransom if u got 5-6 ppl tanking sentry guns though and we have done it in the past but its alot more tricky
Lythor Onus
Lythor Onus

Posted - 2005.09.09 11:03:00 - [23]

Good post! Nuff said.
Lythor Onus
Lythor Onus

Posted - 2005.09.09 11:03:00 - [24]

Good post! Nuff said.
Jonkai
Jonkai

Posted - 2005.09.09 11:07:00 - [25]

Umm where do you guys hang out, I'd like to see you in action for erm umm training purposes RazzLaughing

Jonkai
Jonkai
Caldari
3B Legio IX
Freelancer Alliance

Posted - 2005.09.09 11:07:00 - [26]

Edited by: Jonkai on 09/09/2005 11:07:06
Umm where do you guys hang out, I'd like to see you in action for erm umm training purposes RazzLaughing

ffs always press send before I finish :)

Nice post :)
Rasitiln
Rasitiln

Posted - 2005.09.09 11:11:00 - [27]

belt piracy has been very profitable for myself, and I use only frigs and now cruisers. The most important thing is know your ship and understand when your goona go down how long it takes to warp etc
Rasitiln
Rasitiln
Minmatar
Sniggerdly
Pandemic Legion

Posted - 2005.09.09 11:11:00 - [28]

belt piracy has been very profitable for myself, and I use only frigs and now cruisers. The most important thing is know your ship and understand when your goona go down how long it takes to warp etc
----------
Xoria Krint
Xoria Krint

Posted - 2005.09.09 11:23:00 - [29]

Great post :)

Space Invader | Shadow Of The Ghost | Xoria Krint
Xoria Krint
Xoria Krint
5th Avenue

Posted - 2005.09.09 11:23:00 - [30]

Great post :)
Your signature image exceeds the maximum allowed filesize of 24000 bytes -Sahwoolo Etoophie
Now Recruiting - Forums[/RIGHT]

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 :: one page
First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page

Copyright © 2006-2024, Chribba - OMG Labs. All Rights Reserved. - perf 0,06s, ref 20240418/0904
EVE-Online™ and Eve imagery © CCP.

bitcoin: 1CHRiBBArqpw5Yz7x5KS2RRtN5ubEn5gF

COPYRIGHT NOTICE
EVE Online, the EVE logo, EVE and all associated logos and designs are the intellectual property of CCP hf. All artwork, screenshots, characters, vehicles, storylines, world facts or other recognizable features of the intellectual property relating to these trademarks are likewise the intellectual property of CCP hf. EVE Online and the EVE logo are the registered trademarks of CCP hf. All rights are reserved worldwide. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. CCP hf. has granted permission to EVE-Search.com to use EVE Online and all associated logos and designs for promotional and information purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not in any way affiliated with, EVE-Search.com. CCP is in no way responsible for the content on or functioning of this website, nor can it be liable for any damage arising from the use of this website.