Monitor this thread via RSS [?]

Pages: [1] :: one page
Author Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 1 post(s)
zukuroo
zukuroo

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2003.08.24 05:08:00 - [1]

having just taken part in an unsucessful operation to hunt down a lone (player) pirate (flying a battleship) in a system with only one exit i thought that some things were amiss:

- it is next to impossible to actively track someone down, even with large groups (i thought 12 v 1 should give us a good chance, but no). this concerns in-system searches, hunting within the range of a few systems works fairly well.

- if you do manage to track someone down (or rather: stumble upon them by accident) there it is extremely difficult to harm them (those searching have to split up, hence donŠt have enough EW capabilites, even if they manage to get a lock before the hunted person warps away again). warping away is so easy (due to the lock-on protection when coming out of warp) that even a ship outnumbered ten to one can warp away easily.

-partial warps donŠt help either.

- some of the gates warp-in points are still too close (making instant jumping possible), hence eliminating every possibility of battles occurring at that gate.

Since all of those factors pretty much take the fun out of actively hunting down known player pirates a fix is needed, unless it is the intention to reduce PvP to

1) battles with mutual consent
2) pirates vs. unlucky or slow people who didnŠt manage to warp away.

Pirate stop rates arenŠt so hot these days, but the bounty hunter success rates are by far lower. since eventually this will lead to many of the PvP interested people to turn to pirating careers it will create a gap in the player equilibrium (right now the best thing you can hope for is to chase pirates away from a gate for a brief time).

So what can be done to balance this? Pirates need a fair chance to get away, but the Hunters need a fair chance to nail them.

giving the gatecamper more power might be a fix in some situation, but i think that the fix will have to focus on allowing people to attack a target moving through a system - maybe a module that allows one to follow a target into warp immediately, maybe the scrambler missiles mentioned in another thread, maybe even stationary scramblers that prohibit warp depending on their range to the target. modules that have to be used on several ships at once might also be a possible solution.

since EVE is at such a late stage in its development radical fixes will be difficult to implement, but since PvP is advertised to be a main selling point it will probably be necessary sooner or later to address this issue.
zukuroo
zukuroo

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2003.08.24 05:08:00 - [2]

having just taken part in an unsucessful operation to hunt down a lone (player) pirate (flying a battleship) in a system with only one exit i thought that some things were amiss:

- it is next to impossible to actively track someone down, even with large groups (i thought 12 v 1 should give us a good chance, but no). this concerns in-system searches, hunting within the range of a few systems works fairly well.

- if you do manage to track someone down (or rather: stumble upon them by accident) there it is extremely difficult to harm them (those searching have to split up, hence donŠt have enough EW capabilites, even if they manage to get a lock before the hunted person warps away again). warping away is so easy (due to the lock-on protection when coming out of warp) that even a ship outnumbered ten to one can warp away easily.

-partial warps donŠt help either.

- some of the gates warp-in points are still too close (making instant jumping possible), hence eliminating every possibility of battles occurring at that gate.

Since all of those factors pretty much take the fun out of actively hunting down known player pirates a fix is needed, unless it is the intention to reduce PvP to

1) battles with mutual consent
2) pirates vs. unlucky or slow people who didnŠt manage to warp away.

Pirate stop rates arenŠt so hot these days, but the bounty hunter success rates are by far lower. since eventually this will lead to many of the PvP interested people to turn to pirating careers it will create a gap in the player equilibrium (right now the best thing you can hope for is to chase pirates away from a gate for a brief time).

So what can be done to balance this? Pirates need a fair chance to get away, but the Hunters need a fair chance to nail them.

giving the gatecamper more power might be a fix in some situation, but i think that the fix will have to focus on allowing people to attack a target moving through a system - maybe a module that allows one to follow a target into warp immediately, maybe the scrambler missiles mentioned in another thread, maybe even stationary scramblers that prohibit warp depending on their range to the target. modules that have to be used on several ships at once might also be a possible solution.

since EVE is at such a late stage in its development radical fixes will be difficult to implement, but since PvP is advertised to be a main selling point it will probably be necessary sooner or later to address this issue.
Malus NalJa'ka
Malus NalJa'ka

Posted - 2003.08.24 07:56:00 - [3]

well, that sounds like an idea, but to stop them from jumping, you could set up a blocade at the gate ( 3 battleships ), yet, this is impossible to do in a system with many Jumpie holes. This idea should be worked out !!Very Happy
--------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------
Malus NalJa'ka
Malus NalJa'ka
Amarr
Imperial Dreams
Curatores Veritatis Alliance

Posted - 2003.08.24 07:56:00 - [4]

well, that sounds like an idea, but to stop them from jumping, you could set up a blocade at the gate ( 3 battleships ), yet, this is impossible to do in a system with many Jumpie holes. This idea should be worked out !!Very Happy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: Any spelling or grammatical errors are none of your business and/or made on purpose
marketcchecher
marketcchecher

Posted - 2003.08.24 09:59:00 - [5]

Yea I know what you mean people just make b-line for the gate and there out of system. Or as soon as they see you jump in they engage warp and are out of there before you get a chance to attack.

Seeing as some stuff is kinda coding into game and set it would be very hard to change. Hence your comment bout it be late in development. Which means you kinda have to make an in game work around somehow.

One thing I think they should/could add which would be a GREAT Module to add to them game would be something kinda like the warp scrabbler, Which I've never used but I hear is target specific so you have to lock on to them and it's got kinda a limited range. Is like a Warp Interdictor, it would have like a 50K radias and resonate out from the active ship. So that NO SHIPS friend or foe could warp out. This would help even the playing field in that if you attack some guy and are starting to get your ass kicked you now can't run either ;). This of course would be like smartbombs in that the empire don't like them being used in there space and you'd get the cops on your real quick. But out in 0 space it'd be open game.

I figure something like that might not be to hard to code in. Just us the smart bombs settings for radius place and instead of doing damage it does the warp scrabler thing :). Of course if someone has a warp stabilizer it would also allow them to break away to warp just like it does against the scrabblers.
marketcchecher
marketcchecher

Posted - 2003.08.24 09:59:00 - [6]

Yea I know what you mean people just make b-line for the gate and there out of system. Or as soon as they see you jump in they engage warp and are out of there before you get a chance to attack.

Seeing as some stuff is kinda coding into game and set it would be very hard to change. Hence your comment bout it be late in development. Which means you kinda have to make an in game work around somehow.

One thing I think they should/could add which would be a GREAT Module to add to them game would be something kinda like the warp scrabbler, Which I've never used but I hear is target specific so you have to lock on to them and it's got kinda a limited range. Is like a Warp Interdictor, it would have like a 50K radias and resonate out from the active ship. So that NO SHIPS friend or foe could warp out. This would help even the playing field in that if you attack some guy and are starting to get your ass kicked you now can't run either ;). This of course would be like smartbombs in that the empire don't like them being used in there space and you'd get the cops on your real quick. But out in 0 space it'd be open game.

I figure something like that might not be to hard to code in. Just us the smart bombs settings for radius place and instead of doing damage it does the warp scrabler thing :). Of course if someone has a warp stabilizer it would also allow them to break away to warp just like it does against the scrabblers.
zukuroo
zukuroo

Posted - 2003.08.24 12:06:00 - [7]

the thing making this so tough is incorporating a system that will give bounty hunters an advantage, but not pirates.

the key is probably to find a mode of play that is available to bounty hunters (maybe even create a guild of registered bounty hunters who alone can use these features) but not to pirates. linking it to sec rating would be a possibility.

what i am saying is that bounty hunters need their own, supported methods. pirates usually gatecamp, itŠs how they do it.
bounty hunters should have the option of tracking down a target wherever they are.

hereŠs the discussion with the bounty guy btw:

http://oldforums.eveonline.com/?a=topic&threadID=28005
zukuroo
zukuroo

Posted - 2003.08.24 12:06:00 - [8]

the thing making this so tough is incorporating a system that will give bounty hunters an advantage, but not pirates.

the key is probably to find a mode of play that is available to bounty hunters (maybe even create a guild of registered bounty hunters who alone can use these features) but not to pirates. linking it to sec rating would be a possibility.

what i am saying is that bounty hunters need their own, supported methods. pirates usually gatecamp, itŠs how they do it.
bounty hunters should have the option of tracking down a target wherever they are.

hereŠs the discussion with the bounty guy btw:

http://oldforums.eveonline.com/?a=topic&threadID=28005
Klydor
Klydor

Posted - 2003.08.24 13:41:00 - [9]

Linking it to sec rating wouldn't work in all cases as many pirates have positive clearence.

But I do agree with the reasoning behind your posts. It makes it very difficulty if not virtually impossible to catch a player unless both players warp in and are determined to slug it out.

The interdictor idea sounds pretty good. Everyone could do with getting together in irc or something to thrash out the best ideas they can and work out all the problems, advantages, disadvantages potential exploits. Then post a comprehensive idea for the devs.
Klydor
Klydor
Minmatar

Posted - 2003.08.24 13:41:00 - [10]

Linking it to sec rating wouldn't work in all cases as many pirates have positive clearence.

But I do agree with the reasoning behind your posts. It makes it very difficulty if not virtually impossible to catch a player unless both players warp in and are determined to slug it out.

The interdictor idea sounds pretty good. Everyone could do with getting together in irc or something to thrash out the best ideas they can and work out all the problems, advantages, disadvantages potential exploits. Then post a comprehensive idea for the devs.
CPT KRAT0S
CPT KRAT0S

Posted - 2007.08.18 19:49:00 - [11]

bounty hunting
Wachtmeister
Wachtmeister
Forum Moderator
Interstellar Services Department

Posted - 2007.08.18 20:59:00 - [12]

Please do not resurrect dead threads.

Contrary to popular belief he actually has a body -Eldo
My body is well trained and I have a sixpack.... in the fridge. -Wachty

Pages: [1] :: one page
First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page

Copyright © 2006-2024, Chribba - OMG Labs. All Rights Reserved. - perf 0,06s, ref 20240425/0657
EVE-Online™ and Eve imagery © CCP.

bitcoin: 1CHRiBBArqpw5Yz7x5KS2RRtN5ubEn5gF

COPYRIGHT NOTICE
EVE Online, the EVE logo, EVE and all associated logos and designs are the intellectual property of CCP hf. All artwork, screenshots, characters, vehicles, storylines, world facts or other recognizable features of the intellectual property relating to these trademarks are likewise the intellectual property of CCP hf. EVE Online and the EVE logo are the registered trademarks of CCP hf. All rights are reserved worldwide. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. CCP hf. has granted permission to EVE-Search.com to use EVE Online and all associated logos and designs for promotional and information purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not in any way affiliated with, EVE-Search.com. CCP is in no way responsible for the content on or functioning of this website, nor can it be liable for any damage arising from the use of this website.