Monitor this thread via RSS [?]

sepopen EVE General Discussion
    sepopen Announcement:EVE Online Gamers to Join in Exoplanet Search

» Click here to find additional results for this topic using Google
 Monitor this thread via RSS [?]

Pages: [1] 2 3 :: one page
Author Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s)
ISD Max Trix
ISD Max Trix
ISD Community Communications Liaisons

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2017.02.22 18:11:22 - [1] - Quote

https://www.ccpgames.com/news/2017/eve-online-gamers-to-join-in-exoplanet-search-through-scientific-collaboration/

22 February 2017 GÇô Reykjavik, Iceland - CCP Games today announced that the search for planets outside our solar system (AKA exoplanets) will come to their massively multiplayer online game EVE Online. This unique scientific crowdsourcing effort represents a collaboration between CCP developers, Massively Multiplayer Online Science (MMOS), University of Reykjavik, and the University of Geneva and its honorary professor Michel Mayor, winner of the prestigious 2017 Wolf Prize for Physics and discoverer of the first exoplanet.

Within EVEGÇÖs virtual universe, players will interact with real-world astronomical data provided by the University of Geneva through a fully integrated part of the EVE Online game experience called Project Discovery. Once enough players reach comparative consensus on classification of the data, it will be sent back to the University of Geneva for use in refining the search for exoplanets.

GÇ£We were thrilled to see the successes of our first foray into citizen science, in which EVE players have been voracious contributors to the database of the Human Protein Atlas,GÇ¥ said Andie Nordgren, EVEGÇÖs Executive Producer. GÇ£In searching for the next dataset for our massive player community to tackle, the stars aligned for players to have the opportunity to directly contribute to the search for new planets with a world-renowned scientific team. Real people around the world collaborating in a virtual universe to explore the real universe is the stuff science fiction, and soon science fact, is made of.GÇ¥

The previous iteration of Project Discovery yielded incredible results in a short amount of time, with players submitting over 25 million classifications of human cells back to the Human Protein Atlas. It proved EVEGÇÖs legendary communityGÇÖs massive support for real science efforts as players formed one of the largest collectives of citizen science contributors in the world.

The search for exoplanets will come to EVE in 2017, with a full presentation by Michel Mayor scheduled for April 6-8 at EVE Fanfest 2017 in Reykjavik, Iceland.

ISD Max Trix

Lieutenant

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Matthias Ancaladron
Matthias Ancaladron
Wrath of Angels

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2017.02.23 18:37:20 - [2] - Quote

Not sure if were allowed to post in here but I wonder if this means a new batch of vanity items to unlock.
ISD Max Trix
ISD Max Trix

Posted - 2017.02.23 18:43:11 - [3] - Quote

It would make sense but I have not been informed of any. Maybe someone can ask at Fanfest after the presentation.

ISD Max Trix

Lieutenant

hmu-smh
hmu-smh
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation

Posted - 2017.02.23 19:00:40 - [4] - Quote

So instead of paying to someone to do it, they implement it in video games and players do it FOR FREE what should be a paid salaried person doing.

Great job.. correct me if Im wrong.
ISD Max Trix
ISD Max Trix

Posted - 2017.02.23 19:45:19 - [5] - Quote

Instead of paying one team x amount to do the work over x years they ask a large group of people if they will volunteer some time to look at it

ISD Max Trix

Lieutenant

Soel Reit
Soel Reit
Dambusters 617 Sq

Posted - 2017.02.23 19:56:04 - [6] - Quote

INB4

EVE player FIND LIFE on another planet
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE DID IT BOIZ
Lothar Mandrake
Lothar Mandrake
Min Wei Corporation

Posted - 2017.02.23 19:57:34 - [7] - Quote

This new Exoplanet search could end up being my favorite reason to log into EVE every day. Thank you!

Big smile

-

mkint
mkint

Posted - 2017.02.23 19:57:43 - [8] - Quote

hmu-smh wrote:
So instead of paying to someone to do it, they implement it in video games and players do it FOR FREE what should be a paid salaried person doing.

Great job.. correct me if Im wrong.

The good news is that the nobel prize won't go to those who do the work! The system works!

Maxim 6. If violence wasnGÇÖt your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Nana Skalski
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei

Posted - 2017.02.23 20:09:56 - [9] - Quote

It fits EVE theme more than anything.

At last we will have aportunity to discover some new planets. \o/

Under the patronage of CONCORD?

Every part of a game helps to tell a story =ƒôò

Where is Angry CONCORD guy when you need him

Osprey =ƒÜÇ

GëíGïüGëí GÖÑ

Soel Reit
Soel Reit
Dambusters 617 Sq

Posted - 2017.02.23 20:47:14 - [10] - Quote

Nana Skalski wrote:
It fits EVE theme more than anything.

At last we will have aportunity to discover some new planets. \o/

Under the patronage of CONCORD?

under spacepope patronage i would say Idea
Thomas Lot
Thomas Lot
Astrocomical
Warped Intentions

Posted - 2017.02.23 22:38:46 - [11] - Quote

As a physical scientist (mathematics), I am very excited for this feature.
Hir Miriel
Hir Miriel
Elves In Space

Posted - 2017.02.24 07:28:42 - [12] - Quote

So, the search for Jita begins...

~ ~~ Thinking inside Schrodinger's sandbox. ~~ ~

Eternus8lux8lucis
Eternus8lux8lucis
Primus Inc.
LEGIO ASTARTES ARCANUM

Posted - 2017.02.24 11:01:16 - [13] - Quote

This is awesome!! And crowdsourcing information of this magnitude is something I have wished for for years ever since I used to run the SETI program on my computers when they werent in use years ago. And I am glad that CCP rewards us with some things worth isk to the masses for it and highly encourage CCP to talk to more companies, like SpaceX, and other spacial entrepreneurs to help crunch numbers and values for the future. It would be an excellent way to move humanity forward into the stars.

Gaming will be the new way of working if its done right.Blink

Have you heard anything I've said?

You said it's all circling the drain, the whole universe. Right?

That's right.

Had to end sometime.

Veine Miromme
Veine Miromme
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation

Posted - 2017.02.24 17:11:36 - [14] - Quote

https://twitter.com/SPACEdotcom/status/834735841918332928
More
Exoplanet Discovery at TRAPPIST-1 Celebrated in Google Doodle http://dlvr.it/NSGtK1

https://twitter.com/iEuno
Feb 23

Ship Type : Out of pod (for now)

Drago Shouna
Drago Shouna
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire

Posted - 2017.02.24 19:02:21 - [15] - Quote

Eternus8lux8lucis wrote:
This is awesome!! And crowdsourcing information of this magnitude is something I have wished for for years ever since I used to run the SETI program on my computers when they werent in use years ago. And I am glad that CCP rewards us with some things worth isk to the masses for it and highly encourage CCP to talk to more companies, like SpaceX, and other spacial entrepreneurs to help crunch numbers and values for the future. It would be an excellent way to move humanity forward into the stars.

Gaming will be the new way of working if its done right.Blink

I still run seti :)

Solecist Project...." They refuse to play by the rules and laws of the game and use it as excuse ..." " They don't care about how you play as long as they get to play how they want."

Welcome to EVE.

Nana Skalski
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei

Posted - 2017.02.25 12:53:58 - [16] - Quote

So, will we get some sets of photos and we would have to determine if something is going on on those?

Like a timeline of luminosity of a ster or something?

Osprey =ƒÜÇ

GëíGïüGëí GÖÑ

Eternus8lux8lucis
Eternus8lux8lucis
Primus Inc.
LEGIO ASTARTES ARCANUM

Posted - 2017.03.02 07:33:17 - [17] - Quote

I think the entire idea of comet mining would work well if integrated with some data mining of real world applications and might actually make mining, or at least a portion of it, very very interesting. Blink

Have you heard anything I've said?

You said it's all circling the drain, the whole universe. Right?

That's right.

Had to end sometime.

Vincent Athena
Vincent Athena
V.I.C.E.

Posted - 2017.03.02 16:01:27 - [18] - Quote

CCP; every time we find a new planet, add a new planet to the game.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Duchess Amarrian
Duchess Amarrian
Tesla Aerospace Industries

Posted - 2017.03.03 06:37:13 - [19] - Quote

I always love the candy news that CCP post and not the news under the hood. You say that project discovery was a huge success. What i would like to know is:

1 - how much money did CCP make from this.
2 - How many human hours were involved in the success
3 - How much real cash it costs for the above point in real life or would have taken.
4 - Most importantly were the players compensated back properly or is this the new world order of work more for less pay.

Amazing,
Veine Miromme
Veine Miromme
Gallente Federation

Posted - 2017.03.08 22:39:09 - [20] - Quote

The Race to a Habitable Exoplanet - Time Warp Challenge | Space Time
PBS Space Time

Published on Mar 8, 2017
YouGÇÖve discovered a habitable exoplanet, but so has an an evil interplanetary mining corporation. Can you get to the planet before they strip it bare and leave it unsuitable for life?

Get your own Space Time t-¡shirt at http://bit.ly/1QlzoBi
Tweet at us! @pbsspacetime

Help translate our videos! https://www.youtube.com/timedtext_cs_panel?tab=2&c=UC7_gcs09iThXybpVgjHZ_7g

Tengu spaceship image and ExoPlanet world Credit CCCP: Eve Online
[Credit (C)CCP: EVE Online... Since when CCCP owns CCP: Eve Online, or is it EVE Online, not to confuse with Only one?)
And yes, this is a contest, and you have 2 weeks to submit to be in the running and they want some graphs to prove it, and you can win it.

Lorentz Transformation
In physics, the Lorentz transformation (or transformations) are coordinate transformations between two coordinate frames that move at constant velocity relative to each other.

Wait Equation
The Wait Calculation was introduced by Andrew Kennedy in his paper "Interstellar Travel: The Wait Calculation and the Incentive Trap of Progress",[1] published in the Journal of the British Interplanetary Society (JBIS).

Meras en Daire
Meras en Daire
R3d Crown

Posted - 2017.03.09 00:04:00 - [21] - Quote

Okay, bit of a tangent here.

PLEX is currently worth 19.95 USD, and is selling for 1,030,000,000 ISK minimum at this time.
Therefore, 1 ISK = 1.9368932e-8 USD, or 1.9368932e-6 cents.

That's 0.0000019 cents/ISK

If you earn 1,000,000 ISK per hour, you are earning 1.9 cents/hour, or $0.02 USD.

If you earn 1,000,000 ISK/hour, then a PLEX at today's market will cost you 1030 hours.

If you worked for $0.02 USD/hour, you would have earned $10.30.

The USA minimum wage is $7.25/hour.

If you had worked at $7.25/hour, you would have earned $7467.50USD.

$7475.50USD will purchase 373 PLEX.

Those PLEX will lower the market value of PLEX if sold at once,
however they would be worth over 373,000,000,000 ISK.
Veine Miromme
Veine Miromme
Gallente Federation

Posted - 2017.03.09 00:46:45 - [22] - Quote

Meras en Daire wrote:
Okay, bit of a tangent here.

PLEX is currently worth 19.95 USD, and is selling for 1,030,000,000 ISK minimum at this time.
Therefore, 1 ISK = 1.9368932e-8 USD, or 1.9368932e-6 cents.

That's 0.0000019 cents/ISK

If you earn 1,000,000 ISK per hour, you are earning 1.9 cents/hour, or $0.02 USD.

If you earn 1,000,000 ISK/hour, then a PLEX at today's market will cost you 1030 hours.

If you worked for $0.02 USD/hour, you would have earned $10.30.

The USA minimum wage is $7.25/hour.

If you had worked at $7.25/hour, you would have earned $7467.50USD.

$7475.50USD will purchase 373 PLEX.

Those PLEX will lower the market value of PLEX if sold at once,
however they would be worth over 373,000,000,000 ISK.

At that rate, it would take you over 100 billion years to start to go back in time.
That is, if it doesn't take you 100 times longer than the existence of the Universe going off on a tangent in relation to the Wait Equation.

Samuel Triptee
Samuel Triptee
Aliastra
Gallente Federation

Posted - 2017.03.14 00:50:26 - [23] - Quote

It seems some of the posters here don't acknowledge that it is a voluntary part of the game. If you don't want to contribute then don't click the icon.

Have You Hugged Your Frigate Today?

William Ormono
William Ormono
Regional Rat Control Ltd.

Posted - 2017.03.14 14:31:37 - [24] - Quote

Samuel Triptee wrote:
It seems some of the posters here don't acknowledge that it is a voluntary part of the game. If you don't want to contribute then don't click the icon.

I was thinking this same thing. Add to that the fact that participation nets you an ISK reward and you get a voluntary activity that compensates you for your time and may help advance real world research... If people have an issue with this being an in game feature then I just don't understand.

And to those who cry "But how much money did CCP make on this endeavor?" I would answer, hopefully lots. They are a business after all. If they can provide a service to the scientific community and add some content to their game all while making a little money on the side, then good for them.

My hat is off to you CCP. Well done.
Trevorr Stjohnsmythe
Trevorr Stjohnsmythe
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde

Posted - 2017.03.21 16:51:17 - [25] - Quote

I think this is a perfect fit for EVE and if people want to donate their time to help all the better. I will be all over this!
Wolfino
Wolfino
The Institution.
Did he say Jump

Posted - 2017.03.22 11:20:23 - [26] - Quote

Everyone knows that eve has ship spinning down time in the game, waiting for fleet, getting camped in station etc...
This is genius it gives players something to do that can have real impact in the real world. And I may be mistaken but it sounds like they are linking this with the discovery of new systems my guess the addon of the jove systems. Which means it also has an affect the on the game universe too.

Things like this are some of the biggest reasons I always come back to play eve!
Wolfino
Wolfino
The Institution.
Did he say Jump

Posted - 2017.03.22 11:29:22 - [27] - Quote

Duchess Amarrian wrote:
I always love the candy news that CCP post and not the news under the hood. You say that project discovery was a huge success. What i would like to know is:

1 - how much money did CCP make from this.
2 - How many human hours were involved in the success
3 - How much real cash it costs for the above point in real life or would have taken.
4 - Most importantly were the players compensated back properly or is this the new world order of work more for less pay.

Amazing,

You got a little isk but the main point is its a volunteer thing to do in your free time. I would love to see a little more isk or vanity items for it but due to it being volunteer and in a game that has lots of down time it gives content for the down time and for people like me who are very interested in the progress of space exploration and understanding I will have a chance to help affect real life space discovery.
Nana Skalski
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei

Posted - 2017.03.23 09:06:00 - [28] - Quote

I suppose they could get some financing from the government, for science projects.

Osprey =ƒÜÇ

GëíGïüGëí GÖÑ

DrysonBennington
DrysonBennington
Eagle's Talon's

Posted - 2017.03.25 11:00:14 - [29] - Quote

It's more like using the network of available computers to process the data a faster rate than the astronomers are able to.

If you think about it Eve Online covers pretty much all of the time zones and has around 20,000 members on at any time. The University of Geneva hardly has 20,000 members who are able to compile and process the large amount of data that the mainframe of Eve Online is able to compile and process.

People want to be part of something that is meaningful if not prophetic.

Being part of Exo Planet Hunting will be meaningful as well as prophetic as no other environment other than Eve Online has immersed its Capsuleer's in the reality of space exploration.

Some in-game rewards though are in order such as:

Exo Planet Hunting attire
Exo Planet Hunting skins
Exo Planet Hunting ships and modules

Out of game rewards:

Exo Planet Hunters Jacket
Exo Planet Hunters Mens underwear
Exo Planet Hunters Woman's brazier
Exo Planet Hunters Watch Cap and Ball Cap
Exo Planet Hunters Patch

I have been part of few exo planet hunting programs that are really fun and interesting.

I think I even found a black hole as there was an area of space about the size of a half dollar coin with light all around it. A normal sun would appear in the same manner but with the circle of the sun appearing in the center of it.
Terminal Insanity
Terminal Insanity
Mosquito Squadron
The-Culture

Posted - 2017.03.26 01:23:03 - [30] - Quote

tried to visit the site linked on the first post but got this error in Chrome:
Quote:
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.ccpgames.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

This server could not prove that it is www.ccpgames.com; its security certificate expired yesterday. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection. Your computer's clock is currently set to Saturday, March 25, 2017. Does that look right? If not, you should correct your system's clock and then refresh this page.

I had HTTPS Everywhere plugin enabled. i tried disabling it and using http but it would redirect to https and give the same error

"War declarations are never officially considered griefing and are not a bannable offense, and it has been repeatedly stated by the developers that the possibility for non-consensual PvP is an intended feature." - CCP

Pages: [1] 2 3 :: one page
First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page

Copyright © 2006-2024, Chribba - OMG Labs. All Rights Reserved. - perf 0,06s, ref 20240418/1717
EVE-Online™ and Eve imagery © CCP.

bitcoin: 1CHRiBBArqpw5Yz7x5KS2RRtN5ubEn5gF

COPYRIGHT NOTICE
EVE Online, the EVE logo, EVE and all associated logos and designs are the intellectual property of CCP hf. All artwork, screenshots, characters, vehicles, storylines, world facts or other recognizable features of the intellectual property relating to these trademarks are likewise the intellectual property of CCP hf. EVE Online and the EVE logo are the registered trademarks of CCP hf. All rights are reserved worldwide. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. CCP hf. has granted permission to EVE-Search.com to use EVE Online and all associated logos and designs for promotional and information purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not in any way affiliated with, EVE-Search.com. CCP is in no way responsible for the content on or functioning of this website, nor can it be liable for any damage arising from the use of this website.