Monitor this thread via RSS [?]

Pages: [1] 2 :: one page
Author Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s)
Dallenn
Dallenn

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2004.04.19 18:28:00 - [1]

By implementing crew for the ships, CCP can achieve various goals.

The number of battleships - and in extreme cases, cruisers - could be decreased. Say a BS needs a crew of 3000, a cruiser 1000. And a pilot will have a personal limit of 5000 crew members assigned to her. The limit could vary based on skills and standings. This pool of crew could take from a day to a full week to replace.

Make faction standings more important and have more people working for valid RP goals (free slaves, make money for your megacorp, control more space for the empire). Factions/large corporations could provide pilots for their favourite players or PC corporations, based on their standings.

You could get crew from other sources - your corp, the market, as a mission reward, or have a recruiting skill... but these would have variable efficiency (low).

There would be some RP/immersion effect, how would your character feel about the loss of 3000 lives, all irreplaceable? Now most players seem to forget their ships have crew...

We seek the Chosen ones
/ Roleplaying in Eve /
Idea Lab favourites

I am Paratwa / Of the Ash Ock
A Guardian of time / The firestorm / That purifies
Dallenn
Dallenn
Minmatar
Jericho Fraction
The Star Fraction

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2004.04.19 18:28:00 - [2]

By implementing crew for the ships, CCP can achieve various goals.

The number of battleships - and in extreme cases, cruisers - could be decreased. Say a BS needs a crew of 3000, a cruiser 1000. And a pilot will have a personal limit of 5000 crew members assigned to her. The limit could vary based on skills and standings. This pool of crew could take from a day to a full week to replace.

Make faction standings more important and have more people working for valid RP goals (free slaves, make money for your megacorp, control more space for the empire). Factions/large corporations could provide pilots for their favourite players or PC corporations, based on their standings.

You could get crew from other sources - your corp, the market, as a mission reward, or have a recruiting skill... but these would have variable efficiency (low).

There would be some RP/immersion effect, how would your character feel about the loss of 3000 lives, all irreplaceable? Now most players seem to forget their ships have crew...

Roleplaying in Eve
Caleb Ayrania
Caleb Ayrania

Posted - 2004.04.19 19:36:00 - [3]

Crews for All ships is really more than just wanted..

ITs seriously needed...

CCP could fix 75% of the current areas causing problems by fixing their finite state machine..

Adding crew and occupants of stations would solve so many things..

BS pilots would need to keep supply of crew for the BS, continuing to Waste crew would depopulate the availability of these from "market" thus raising the price for them. This would work as if the crews asked higher payment to work for these reckless captains..

Also Stations and even planets with such FINITE STATE MACHINES.. would change everything in EVE to work much more on dynamics of the players and their attitude..

I dont think the game will develop into what it really is supposed to be.. When the dynamics of the NPC side gets more work preferably using some sort of AI like the FSMs EVE will blow away all competition in the game market imho..

Similar grief topic here... Linkage

Caleb Ayrania
Caleb Ayrania
Gallente
TarNec

Posted - 2004.04.19 19:36:00 - [4]

Crews for All ships is really more than just wanted..

ITs seriously needed...

CCP could fix 75% of the current areas causing problems by fixing their finite state machine..

Adding crew and occupants of stations would solve so many things..

BS pilots would need to keep supply of crew for the BS, continuing to Waste crew would depopulate the availability of these from "market" thus raising the price for them. This would work as if the crews asked higher payment to work for these reckless captains..

Also Stations and even planets with such FINITE STATE MACHINES.. would change everything in EVE to work much more on dynamics of the players and their attitude..

I dont think the game will develop into what it really is supposed to be.. When the dynamics of the NPC side gets more work preferably using some sort of AI like the FSMs EVE will blow away all competition in the game market imho..

Similar grief topic here... Linkage

- Money is Love -
Sometimes it just gets bend the wrong ways.

Feed your Brain:

Innovation Thread
Vangelis
Vangelis

Posted - 2004.04.19 19:43:00 - [5]

crew on ships would be a good idea i think. But instead of your theory of capping the amount of crew u can have as a captain i think that there should be no cap only that u have to buy crew. Diffrent types of crews can be purchased in diffrent grades say from MInmatar slaves which are the worst type b/c they lack motivation but are super cheap all the way to elite crews trained by the best military schools in the diffrent empires. Say elite gallante crews give bonuses to hybrid gun operations on yoru ships and caldari give better missle operation speeds etc etc..
Crews also have an upkeep say "wages" which has to be paid..without a crew ships can not be undocked except for frigates which require no crew.

Also once your ship gets into structure damage u start loosing crew.

Also perhaps robot crew could be created which require less upkeep or no upkeep at all but they require blueprints an dminerals to be created and are more expensive to purchase initialy then human crews...

just some food for thought
Vangelis
Vangelis
The Scope

Posted - 2004.04.19 19:43:00 - [6]

crew on ships would be a good idea i think. But instead of your theory of capping the amount of crew u can have as a captain i think that there should be no cap only that u have to buy crew. Diffrent types of crews can be purchased in diffrent grades say from MInmatar slaves which are the worst type b/c they lack motivation but are super cheap all the way to elite crews trained by the best military schools in the diffrent empires. Say elite gallante crews give bonuses to hybrid gun operations on yoru ships and caldari give better missle operation speeds etc etc..
Crews also have an upkeep say "wages" which has to be paid..without a crew ships can not be undocked except for frigates which require no crew.

Also once your ship gets into structure damage u start loosing crew.

Also perhaps robot crew could be created which require less upkeep or no upkeep at all but they require blueprints an dminerals to be created and are more expensive to purchase initialy then human crews...

just some food for thought
Dallenn
Dallenn

Posted - 2004.04.19 19:45:00 - [7]

One more aspect is "fixing" out-of race ships (eg. an Amarr navy pilot flying a Minmatar BS).

One would need to recruit crew with the skills to run the ships of a given race. This could require getting good standings with other races/nations.

Mentioned in the RP chat.

We seek the Chosen ones
/ Roleplaying in Eve /
Idea Lab favourites

Dallenn
Dallenn
Minmatar
Jericho Fraction
The Star Fraction

Posted - 2004.04.19 19:45:00 - [8]

One more aspect is "fixing" out-of race ships (eg. an Amarr navy pilot flying a Minmatar BS).

One would need to recruit crew with the skills to run the ships of a given race. This could require getting good standings with other races/nations.

Mentioned in the RP chat.

Roleplaying in Eve
Aleeta
Aleeta

Posted - 2004.04.19 20:37:00 - [9]

I want them to fix this, and a lot of other things, into the game by tommorow :))
"Shoot for The Moon... ...If You Miss, You're Bound For The Stars..."
Aleeta
Aleeta
Lunar Dawn

Posted - 2004.04.19 20:37:00 - [10]

I want them to fix this, and a lot of other things, into the game by tommorow :))

"Pirates Are Doody Heads"

Etoile Chercheur
Etoile Chercheur

Posted - 2004.04.19 22:54:00 - [11]

this was a feature on another space exploration/battle game called Star Control 2 (played it for the 3DO game system, still have it).

when your ship got "damaged", you were actually loosing crew. loose all your crew, and your ship blows up. really, the crew were just a way of defining the damage-state of your ship.

in EVE, i think a deminished crew would manifest itself in reduced ship performance regarding speed and maneuverability. even if you get away and make repairs to the structure via nano-assemblers, you still have to limp home due to a lack of crew.

this would also raise questions about whether a Minmitar pilot deep in Amarr space could get crew at an Amarrian station, however. i think this idea has promise, but needs more work to make it plausible.

Midshipman Etoile Chercheur - Logistics Division (M&T) | Hadean Drive Yards
Etoile Chercheur
Etoile Chercheur
Gallente
Phoenix Propulsion Labs
Firmus Ixion

Posted - 2004.04.19 22:54:00 - [12]

this was a feature on another space exploration/battle game called Star Control 2 (played it for the 3DO game system, still have it).

when your ship got "damaged", you were actually loosing crew. loose all your crew, and your ship blows up. really, the crew were just a way of defining the damage-state of your ship.

in EVE, i think a deminished crew would manifest itself in reduced ship performance regarding speed and maneuverability. even if you get away and make repairs to the structure via nano-assemblers, you still have to limp home due to a lack of crew.

this would also raise questions about whether a Minmitar pilot deep in Amarr space could get crew at an Amarrian station, however. i think this idea has promise, but needs more work to make it plausible.

Midshipman Etoile Chercheur - Logistics Division (M&T) | Hadean Drive Yards
Telnen Kahfir
Telnen Kahfir

Posted - 2004.04.20 06:49:00 - [13]

I like the idea as it was originally proposed, except I think crew availability should be based on leadership or a subskill thereof. I don't think it unreasonable to expect players to both pay for hiring crew and have the skill capacity to actually manage them. I also think that having a racial limit on crew is appropo. You may have the skill to pilot a Gallente battleship even if you're Amarr, but you have to find yourself a Gallente crew.

"Fly beyond the reaches of your own expectations. There you gain a measure of satisfaction." -- Jacques Altron, Gallente Philosopher
Telnen Kahfir
Telnen Kahfir
Gallente
Triple Crystal Miners

Posted - 2004.04.20 06:49:00 - [14]

I like the idea as it was originally proposed, except I think crew availability should be based on leadership or a subskill thereof. I don't think it unreasonable to expect players to both pay for hiring crew and have the skill capacity to actually manage them. I also think that having a racial limit on crew is appropo. You may have the skill to pilot a Gallente battleship even if you're Amarr, but you have to find yourself a Gallente crew.

"Fly beyond the reaches of your own expectations. There you gain a measure of satisfaction." -- Jacques Altron, Gallente Philosopher
NightDragon
NightDragon

Posted - 2004.04.20 07:34:00 - [15]

i want to be able to "capture" ships, as it is there is no way to do it, and that would spawn a group of skills and ships
NightDragon
NightDragon
Minmatar

Posted - 2004.04.20 07:34:00 - [16]

i want to be able to "capture" ships, as it is there is no way to do it, and that would spawn a group of skills and ships
Vangelis
Vangelis

Posted - 2004.04.20 07:48:00 - [17]

Telnen thats not right The Ammarr use Mimnatar slaves to crew there ships in the EVE chronicles so u dotn need race specific crews for race specific ships. I think its called education :)
Vangelis
Vangelis
The Scope

Posted - 2004.04.20 07:48:00 - [18]

Telnen thats not right The Ammarr use Mimnatar slaves to crew there ships in the EVE chronicles so u dotn need race specific crews for race specific ships. I think its called education :)
Vel Kyri
Vel Kyri

Posted - 2004.04.20 11:15:00 - [19]

Vangelis..

the Amarr use Manmatar slaves on some ships.. it never said all.

but having different races, and types of crew would be great - and having to hire these crews (from stations for x days/weeks) and have the skills to manage the crews (i think that would just be the pilot skills, + ethnic relations maybe) would be great.

-----
Vel Kyri
Vel Kyri
Carebears need to die

Posted - 2004.04.20 11:15:00 - [20]

Vangelis..

the Amarr use Manmatar slaves on some ships.. it never said all.

but having different races, and types of crew would be great - and having to hire these crews (from stations for x days/weeks) and have the skills to manage the crews (i think that would just be the pilot skills, + ethnic relations maybe) would be great.

Haratu
Haratu

Posted - 2004.04.20 11:44:00 - [21]

An idea like this was raised only a few days ago...

I roleplay... there is this computer game called "Earth - The First Genesis" where i play a character in the early 21st century.
Haratu
Haratu
Shinie Stuff Salvagers

Posted - 2004.04.20 11:44:00 - [22]

An idea like this was raised only a few days ago...

I roleplay... there is this computer game called "Earth - The First Genesis" where i play a character in the early 21st century.
Ronin Hybonashi
Ronin Hybonashi

Posted - 2004.04.20 11:54:00 - [23]

I have mentioned this type of idea several times and I believe it to be a good one. The most recent one and only one remaining I believe is here. I think crews can add alot more dynamics to the game. Thank you for posting the idea as well.
Ronin Hybonashi
Ronin Hybonashi
Caldari
Spectral Wolves

Posted - 2004.04.20 11:54:00 - [24]

I have mentioned this type of idea several times and I believe it to be a good one. The most recent one and only one remaining I believe is here. I think crews can add alot more dynamics to the game. Thank you for posting the idea as well.
------------
Zap Rowsdower
Zap Rowsdower

Posted - 2004.04.21 08:16:00 - [25]

I love this idea.

You could add in maybe, the longer a crew stays on your ship and the more combat or mining it does their ability to do things quick and more efficently goes up.
The Wahoo Shock Project
Zap Rowsdower
Zap Rowsdower
Sebiestor tribe

Posted - 2004.04.21 08:16:00 - [26]

I love this idea.

You could add in maybe, the longer a crew stays on your ship and the more combat or mining it does their ability to do things quick and more efficently goes up.
The Wahoo Shock Project
Zylatis
Zylatis

Posted - 2004.04.21 09:48:00 - [27]

make it better. make the inside of the ship avaliable to walk around in and have a player crew ;)
Zylatis
Zylatis
Lacedaemon.
Sparta Alliance

Posted - 2004.04.21 09:48:00 - [28]

make it better. make the inside of the ship avaliable to walk around in and have a player crew ;)
Your signature image exceeds the maximum allowed filesize of 24000 bytes -Sahwoolo Etoophie ([email protected])
Dallenn
Dallenn

Posted - 2004.07.05 12:42:00 - [29]

Continued discussion: specific officers as crew instead of crew that is counted, details on bonuses and such.

http://oldforums.eveonline.com/?a=topic&threadID=91607

We seek the Chosen ones
/ Roleplaying in Eve /
Idea Lab favourites

Dallenn
Dallenn

Posted - 2004.07.05 12:42:00 - [30]

Continued discussion: specific officers as crew instead of crew that is counted, details on bonuses and such.

http://oldforums.eveonline.com/?a=topic&threadID=91607

We seek the Chosen ones
/ Roleplaying in Eve /
Idea Lab favourites

Pages: [1] 2 :: one page
First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page

Copyright © 2006-2024, Chribba - OMG Labs. All Rights Reserved. - perf 0,06s, ref 20240419/1512
EVE-Online™ and Eve imagery © CCP.

bitcoin: 1CHRiBBArqpw5Yz7x5KS2RRtN5ubEn5gF

COPYRIGHT NOTICE
EVE Online, the EVE logo, EVE and all associated logos and designs are the intellectual property of CCP hf. All artwork, screenshots, characters, vehicles, storylines, world facts or other recognizable features of the intellectual property relating to these trademarks are likewise the intellectual property of CCP hf. EVE Online and the EVE logo are the registered trademarks of CCP hf. All rights are reserved worldwide. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. CCP hf. has granted permission to EVE-Search.com to use EVE Online and all associated logos and designs for promotional and information purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not in any way affiliated with, EVE-Search.com. CCP is in no way responsible for the content on or functioning of this website, nor can it be liable for any damage arising from the use of this website.