Monitor this thread via RSS [?]

Pages: [1] 2 :: one page
Author Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s)
Lorth
Lorth

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2005.03.14 00:30:00 - [1]

First some background.
Before coming into eve, I played battlefield 1942 religously. I joined a clan, who had its own server, and we had some strict rules. Lots of admin on at all times, and our server was always filled to the brim with players.

Now as the game grew there were more and more posts on inciedances of cheating. Or at least accusations of it, as no one in the clan new of any cheats them selves. So I went on a mission to see what was what in the world of cheating.

After some google searches I came across a forum, all about cheating. Not knowing exactly what to expect I read and read. Needless to say I was surprised. These cheats didn't give you an advantage they were god mode 6.1. Map, no fog, aim bots etc.

So I downloaded the cheats and installed them on my computer, as we were looking to catch said cheaters on our sever. Late one night we closed the server to the public and I enabled the cheats and went to work. Needless to say I owned everyone and thier brother 16 times over. I was a one man army, literally, 8vs1 no problem, I was a god.

We played like that for an hour or two. And then it got boreing really boreing. Not only was I winning all the time, but I had no challage at all. Ya it was fun for a few minutes, at most, but in the end the 'I win button' sucked.

A few days later we began to notice many people that could actually be cheating. Map hacks, no fog, they were easy to spot now that we knew what to look for. I began to wonder how many people were actually consitantly using these cheats.

Then punkbuster came with the new patch. And suddenly it was a whole new game. People who played consitantly with high scores now struggled to finish in the top 50%. Clans which had dominated the ladder fell like a brick. The game seemed to change over night, once the at least the more common cheats had been taken away.

Lorth
Lorth
Body Count Inc.
Mercenary Coalition

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2005.03.14 00:30:00 - [2]

First some background.
Before coming into eve, I played battlefield 1942 religously. I joined a clan, who had its own server, and we had some strict rules. Lots of admin on at all times, and our server was always filled to the brim with players.

Now as the game grew there were more and more posts on inciedances of cheating. Or at least accusations of it, as no one in the clan new of any cheats them selves. So I went on a mission to see what was what in the world of cheating.

After some google searches I came across a forum, all about cheating. Not knowing exactly what to expect I read and read. Needless to say I was surprised. These cheats didn't give you an advantage they were god mode 6.1. Map, no fog, aim bots etc.

So I downloaded the cheats and installed them on my computer, as we were looking to catch said cheaters on our sever. Late one night we closed the server to the public and I enabled the cheats and went to work. Needless to say I owned everyone and thier brother 16 times over. I was a one man army, literally, 8vs1 no problem, I was a god.

We played like that for an hour or two. And then it got boreing really boreing. Not only was I winning all the time, but I had no challage at all. Ya it was fun for a few minutes, at most, but in the end the 'I win button' sucked.

A few days later we began to notice many people that could actually be cheating. Map hacks, no fog, they were easy to spot now that we knew what to look for. I began to wonder how many people were actually consitantly using these cheats.

Then punkbuster came with the new patch. And suddenly it was a whole new game. People who played consitantly with high scores now struggled to finish in the top 50%. Clans which had dominated the ladder fell like a brick. The game seemed to change over night, once the at least the more common cheats had been taken away.

Lorth
Lorth

Posted - 2005.03.14 00:40:00 - [3]

Then I went back to the cheater bored, because I knew that soon a new cheat would emerge, that was for the momment undetectable. And sure enough there was.

But what really surprised me, was the whining that was all over the bored since punkbuster came in. these boreds where almost as active as the offical boreds were. It became apperant that a seemily large chunk of people used the cheats, felt it they were ok, and that it was a legitament way to play.

My point, which I have taken a while to get to I know, its this. How can you justify cheating? And how in the world can you have fun being tottaly god like.

It boggles my mind, and still does why someone whould consider it fun. I have never enjoyed being tottaly uber, especially when it has nothing to do with my abblities. Yet it would seem that a large percentage of BF1942 population felt as though it was ok to cheat. And that anything they could do to enhance thier score was ok.

Why does this lameness continue? Am I in the minority when I think that the challange is the fun, and not the end score? Uber god mode is boreing after about 16 seconds. Yet many people seem to enjoy it, and care only about thier score at the present time.

I would honestly love to hear someone elses view point. Do yo think cheating is ok? And why? Where does your enjoyment come from when useing these cheats?

Lorth
Lorth
Body Count Inc.
Mercenary Coalition

Posted - 2005.03.14 00:40:00 - [4]

Then I went back to the cheater bored, because I knew that soon a new cheat would emerge, that was for the momment undetectable. And sure enough there was.

But what really surprised me, was the whining that was all over the bored since punkbuster came in. these boreds where almost as active as the offical boreds were. It became apperant that a seemily large chunk of people used the cheats, felt it they were ok, and that it was a legitament way to play.

My point, which I have taken a while to get to I know, its this. How can you justify cheating? And how in the world can you have fun being tottaly god like.

It boggles my mind, and still does why someone whould consider it fun. I have never enjoyed being tottaly uber, especially when it has nothing to do with my abblities. Yet it would seem that a large percentage of BF1942 population felt as though it was ok to cheat. And that anything they could do to enhance thier score was ok.

Why does this lameness continue? Am I in the minority when I think that the challange is the fun, and not the end score? Uber god mode is boreing after about 16 seconds. Yet many people seem to enjoy it, and care only about thier score at the present time.

I would honestly love to hear someone elses view point. Do yo think cheating is ok? And why? Where does your enjoyment come from when useing these cheats?

Safaomae
Safaomae

Posted - 2005.03.14 01:05:00 - [5]

cheating in multiplayer games is rather lame.

cheating in single player games can be fun, for example, you've finished HL2 and want to play again using a strider...

I dont think cheating is in any way acceptable in multiplayer games, except maybe when you're only playing against your housemates, and you want to kick their asses just for the hell of it Laughing. but of course, they would know you're cheating.

so in general, on the net, cheating = sucks.
Safaomae
Safaomae
Amarr
Viziam

Posted - 2005.03.14 01:05:00 - [6]

cheating in multiplayer games is rather lame.

cheating in single player games can be fun, for example, you've finished HL2 and want to play again using a strider...

I dont think cheating is in any way acceptable in multiplayer games, except maybe when you're only playing against your housemates, and you want to kick their asses just for the hell of it Laughing. but of course, they would know you're cheating.

so in general, on the net, cheating = sucks.
Wendell
Wendell

Posted - 2005.03.14 08:58:00 - [7]

Cheaters never win and winners never cheat.

No true but cheating is lame
Wendell
Wendell

Posted - 2005.03.14 08:58:00 - [8]

Cheaters never win and winners never cheat.

No true but cheating is lame
Joshua Calvert
Joshua Calvert

Posted - 2005.03.14 09:53:00 - [9]

My brother looks to see if PS2 games have cheats available before he buys a game ugh

I'd rather not spend ú30 on a game only to activate god mode, all ammo, all weapons, and activate super sexy Sara in the bikini.

I still haven't completed Far Cry because I cannot complete the oenultimate level. I've never used a cheat and neither have I used a guide. One day I'll ***** it Twisted Evil

LEEEEERRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
Joshua Calvert
Joshua Calvert
Caldari
Celestial Horizon Corp.

Posted - 2005.03.14 09:53:00 - [10]

My brother looks to see if PS2 games have cheats available before he buys a game ugh

I'd rather not spend ú30 on a game only to activate god mode, all ammo, all weapons, and activate super sexy Sara in the bikini.

I still haven't completed Far Cry because I cannot complete the oenultimate level. I've never used a cheat and neither have I used a guide. One day I'll ***** it Twisted Evil
MadGaz
MadGaz

Posted - 2005.03.14 13:55:00 - [11]

I dont see why people cheat on the net, whats the fun in beating everybody with no challenge??
------------------------------------------

MadGaz
MadGaz
Temptation inc.

Posted - 2005.03.14 13:55:00 - [12]

I dont see why people cheat on the net, whats the fun in beating everybody with no challenge??
Mods griefed me, evil ****s!
Gun Kata
Gun Kata

Posted - 2005.03.14 15:31:00 - [13]

Edited by: Gun Kata on 14/03/2005 15:31:06
Originally by: MadGaz

Maybe because they get a kick out of winding people up. Repetitive kills would get boring but reading constructive cursing directed at the cheater could be a bit more interesting.

"I have seen everything now."
"Yeah? Have you seen a man eat his own head?"
Gun Kata
Gun Kata
F.R.E.E. Explorer
EVE Animal Control

Posted - 2005.03.14 15:31:00 - [14]

Edited by: Gun Kata on 14/03/2005 15:31:06
Originally by: MadGaz

Maybe because they get a kick out of winding people up. Repetitive kills would get boring but reading constructive cursing directed at the cheater could be a bit more interesting.

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a f*** how crazy they are."
Cmdr Patrick
Cmdr Patrick

Posted - 2005.03.14 17:32:00 - [15]

I hear ya dude, on the dod servers i play on(which i mostly play outside eve)you using your "skill" to get like a reasonably respectable +8 score then some prack come along with his wall hAx's and aim bot, camping the church or allies building like a god knowning you are coming round corners, and just pressing fire randomly and hitting head shots with an un-prone mg or bar every time.it defeats the purpose of skill

(Also watch out on snierp lvls for seemly uber snipers, most of them change the crosshair to 45degrees so they can aim from round corners, guys in a caln were doing this and wtfpwning all in there way(and talking over gamespeak about it))Evil or Very Mad
Cmdr Patrick
Cmdr Patrick
In The Face Productions

Posted - 2005.03.14 17:32:00 - [16]

I hear ya dude, on the dod servers i play on(which i mostly play outside eve)you using your "skill" to get like a reasonably respectable +8 score then some prack come along with his wall hAx's and aim bot, camping the church or allies building like a god knowning you are coming round corners, and just pressing fire randomly and hitting head shots with an un-prone mg or bar every time.it defeats the purpose of skill

(Also watch out on snierp lvls for seemly uber snipers, most of them change the crosshair to 45degrees so they can aim from round corners, guys in a caln were doing this and wtfpwning all in there way(and talking over gamespeak about it))Evil or Very Mad
EVENFLOW
EVENFLOW

Posted - 2005.03.14 18:16:00 - [17]

People can do it for xbox live now. I find a decent amnt of them in Halo 2, and its INSANELY blatent. Like flying across the map with a sword and butchering everyone. or causing characters to switch weapons, giving the cheater the best of everything.

I agree w/ ya, i don't see how that could be fun at all. Confused
EVENFLOW
EVENFLOW
Fury Corporation
Anarchy Empire

Posted - 2005.03.14 18:16:00 - [18]

People can do it for xbox live now. I find a decent amnt of them in Halo 2, and its INSANELY blatent. Like flying across the map with a sword and butchering everyone. or causing characters to switch weapons, giving the cheater the best of everything.

I agree w/ ya, i don't see how that could be fun at all. Confused

Honor > Death

Plim
Plim

Posted - 2005.03.14 18:54:00 - [19]

My problem is that I never cheat on any multiplayer games, but I play CS:S all the time, and now I get accused of cheating almost everyday, and sometimes kicked and banned from servers Neutral

Gets a bit irritating sometimes, when some tard is shouting "PLIM SPLOITS!!!11" everytime I get a head shot on them.
-----------------

Plim
Plim
Gallente
Celestial Apocalypse
Insurgency

Posted - 2005.03.14 18:54:00 - [20]

My problem is that I never cheat on any multiplayer games, but I play CS:S all the time, and now I get accused of cheating almost everyday, and sometimes kicked and banned from servers Neutral

Gets a bit irritating sometimes, when some tard is shouting "PLIM SPLOITS!!!11" everytime I get a head shot on them.

Rudolf: "I was sworn to absolute secrecy by Santa Claus."
Lok Ta'car
Lok Ta'car

Posted - 2005.03.14 19:41:00 - [21]

I used to cheat to every game i played but then i got bored with every game i played... Warcraft I&II, Red Alert, Age of Empires the whole lot. Then i tryed the campaigns 2 years later and without cheats. The games where twice the fun and now i never cheat.

Never cheated in Multiplayer games though i found that generally wrong even when i was 8 years old.

010011000110111101101011 001000000101010001100001011000110110000101110010
Lok Ta'car
Lok Ta'car
Gallente
Digital Foundry
X-PACT

Posted - 2005.03.14 19:41:00 - [22]

I used to cheat to every game i played but then i got bored with every game i played... Warcraft I&II, Red Alert, Age of Empires the whole lot. Then i tryed the campaigns 2 years later and without cheats. The games where twice the fun and now i never cheat.

Never cheated in Multiplayer games though i found that generally wrong even when i was 8 years old.
KingsGambit
KingsGambit

Posted - 2005.03.14 20:11:00 - [23]

Agree wholeheartedly with the original poster, it does defeat the object. Like another poster above, in single player games it can be a fun way to get some replayability from the game (remember Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, where completing a mission without cheats perfectly unlocked others?), like with Hitman 3 and so on. I have had to refer to walkthroughs/guides on occasion when stuck in a single player and either had no idea what do next, or was completely incapable of meeting a particular challenge after hours/thousands of attempts, whichever came first. But for multiplayer, it doesn't make sense.

The whole point of playing the game is to pit yourself against others, and get better as you learn from your mistakes, learn new tips, tricks and tactics and make friends. Cheating on those games serves no real purpose, except for ruining to various extents the experience of other players. I used to play a lot of UT (insta-dom Very Happy) and when someone came on with aimbot it was obvious and killed everyone's enjoyment of that map...there's nothing you can about it except enter into a l337 conersation with them and persuade them leave, or if not, leave yourself. Unless you ran the server of course!

-------------

BYOC Crow Interceptor Deals
KingsGambit
KingsGambit
Caldari Knights

Posted - 2005.03.14 20:11:00 - [24]

Agree wholeheartedly with the original poster, it does defeat the object. Like another poster above, in single player games it can be a fun way to get some replayability from the game (remember Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, where completing a mission without cheats perfectly unlocked others?), like with Hitman 3 and so on. I have had to refer to walkthroughs/guides on occasion when stuck in a single player and either had no idea what do next, or was completely incapable of meeting a particular challenge after hours/thousands of attempts, whichever came first. But for multiplayer, it doesn't make sense.

The whole point of playing the game is to pit yourself against others, and get better as you learn from your mistakes, learn new tips, tricks and tactics and make friends. Cheating on those games serves no real purpose, except for ruining to various extents the experience of other players. I used to play a lot of UT (insta-dom Very Happy) and when someone came on with aimbot it was obvious and killed everyone's enjoyment of that map...there's nothing you can about it except enter into a l337 conersation with them and persuade them leave, or if not, leave yourself. Unless you ran the server of course!
-------------

My T2 Shop
Eyeshadow
Eyeshadow

Posted - 2005.03.15 16:05:00 - [25]

Originally by: Plim

i hear ya m8. it actually put me off playing CS:S anymore. I would count myself as an above average FPS player, and when playing CS on jolt servers i get a sub 30 ping, usually under 20 too. I have had scores as high as 67-2 etc and that sort of thing. I got kick banned from 3 clan servers in 1 night for beating their members. Its seriously frustrating.

I have never, and will never cheat (i have actually petitioned some of my own actions in EVE to make sure they werent exploits). I have tried an aimbot on a closed server for about 5 minutes when i played UT and it just seemed totally pointless

Forums: Sharks - MC
Eyeshadow
Eyeshadow
Caldari
The xDEATHx Squadron

Posted - 2005.03.15 16:05:00 - [26]

i hear ya m8. it actually put me off playing CS:S anymore. I would count myself as an above average FPS player, and when playing CS on jolt servers i get a sub 30 ping, usually under 20 too. I have had scores as high as 67-2 etc and that sort of thing. I got kick banned from 3 clan servers in 1 night for beating their members. Its seriously frustrating.

I have never, and will never cheat (i have actually petitioned some of my own actions in EVE to make sure they werent exploits). I have tried an aimbot on a closed server for about 5 minutes when i played UT and it just seemed totally pointless

Plim
Plim

Posted - 2005.03.15 16:09:00 - [27]

Originally by: Eyeshadow

lol Yeah its always clans thats do it. If you own them for more than say 3 rounds in a row, you can be pretty certain that they will kick and ban you, sometimes without even a warning, or accusation.
-----------------

Plim
Plim
Gallente
Celestial Apocalypse
Insurgency

Posted - 2005.03.15 16:09:00 - [28]

lol Yeah its always clans thats do it. If you own them for more than say 3 rounds in a row, you can be pretty certain that they will kick and ban you, sometimes without even a warning, or accusation.

Rudolf: "I was sworn to absolute secrecy by Santa Claus."
Cmdr Patrick
Cmdr Patrick

Posted - 2005.03.15 18:33:00 - [29]

Happened to me like 24hrs agoSad my clan has roughly the same tag as the server i was playing on with a corp mate+fellow clan member. After palying kk getting like a +12 when stopped mesin about, they start going on about hax's and stealing their clan tag: cos i was doing better than them started to tk and then kicked me. No point in having skill and being accused of cheating just cos they are sore losers.Resulting in a permanent ip ban cos i told them were to go for tk'ingEvil or Very Mad
Cmdr Patrick
Cmdr Patrick
In The Face Productions

Posted - 2005.03.15 18:33:00 - [30]

Happened to me like 24hrs agoSad my clan has roughly the same tag as the server i was playing on with a corp mate+fellow clan member. After palying kk getting like a +12 when stopped mesin about, they start going on about hax's and stealing their clan tag: cos i was doing better than them started to tk and then kicked me. No point in having skill and being accused of cheating just cos they are sore losers.Resulting in a permanent ip ban cos i told them were to go for tk'ingEvil or Very Mad

Pages: [1] 2 :: one page
First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page

Copyright © 2006-2024, Chribba - OMG Labs. All Rights Reserved. - perf 0,05s, ref 20240424/0557
EVE-Online™ and Eve imagery © CCP.

bitcoin: 1CHRiBBArqpw5Yz7x5KS2RRtN5ubEn5gF

COPYRIGHT NOTICE
EVE Online, the EVE logo, EVE and all associated logos and designs are the intellectual property of CCP hf. All artwork, screenshots, characters, vehicles, storylines, world facts or other recognizable features of the intellectual property relating to these trademarks are likewise the intellectual property of CCP hf. EVE Online and the EVE logo are the registered trademarks of CCP hf. All rights are reserved worldwide. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. CCP hf. has granted permission to EVE-Search.com to use EVE Online and all associated logos and designs for promotional and information purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not in any way affiliated with, EVE-Search.com. CCP is in no way responsible for the content on or functioning of this website, nor can it be liable for any damage arising from the use of this website.