Monitor this thread via RSS [?]

Pages: [1] :: one page
Author Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s)
Demangel
Demangel

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2003.07.10 12:06:00 - [1]

Many of you may have noticed this, but I haven't seen any posts about it yet, and I strongly feel this is an area of the game that needs addressing by CCP.

Is it really too much work for each NPC faction and NPC corp to have a short paragraph long blurb explaining to us the players what the public standing of the corp is in general?

Does the corp manufacture stuff? Are they working to free slaves? Are they slavers? Are they just another megacorp doing whatever it takes to make another buck? do they have an agenda? A goal? a purpose? what motivates it?

I mean come on in real life you wouldn't take a job working for a company without knowing what they produce or what kind of business they are in would you?

Sure the names sometimes give us little hints... But thats not enough...

So PLEASE CCP PLEASE put in a short paragraph long blurb or more telling us what the faction or Corporations role in the universe is.

I know some dingbat will come along and remind me of the oh so obvious fact that a corp might have ulterior motives, but they should at LEAST have a public front.

Something to attract workers ETC.

We know what interbus is... But what exactly is O.R.E all about? Are they simply explorers? Miners? Why do they seem to hate pirate corps so much? (your faction with ORE rises very quickly from killing any pirate).

Freedom Extensions something or other, are they a corp that tries to free minnimatar slaves?

Fedmart storage, are they just a governement beuracracy?

Khanid Kingdom, one of the royal amrr bloodlines?

If I join one of these will I be doing good oriented missions? lawful missions? Evil oriented missions? illegal missions? Both good and Evil lwfull and illegal?

I don't even have the vaguest clue!

tonight I got a mission frommy Khanid level one agent to drop off some super deadly virus to a nearby station. for all I know it's for medical research to help sick Amarr children suffering from a rare disease... Or maybe it's a plague the Amarr empire is about to release into free minnimatar populations!?

I have no idea, not that I should be told all these details, but I should be allowed to guess based on the general info available on the corp publically visible.

So come on CCP please this is pretty important, ESPECIALY iof your going to be using agents to effect the storyline.

It would really be nice to be able to choose what side I can work for besides just a name.

For all I know the slaver foundation (fictional corp), which sounds like a corp for slavers, might in fact be a freedom fighting corp. and I might miss a chance to role play that aspect of my characters personality in a way that influences the game forever!

I know some of you will tell me I'm nuts, that RP is for kids, or That it's too much work for CCP to put into the game for whatever reason, but all of you should seriously grow up...

It's NOT that much work to write a paragraph about maybe 2-3 dozen factions, and possible 4-5 Dozen NPC corporations is it? It would give us all a clue of what side we are on, and the agents themselves don't really tell you Jack or S***, and if they do it's probably in the initial greeting dialogue, and that is invariably quickly forgotten and ignored.

So come on CCP give the NPC factions some personality, some soul, it would add a LOT to the games ambiance, and is really so little effort I could cry...

your lead storywriter or whatever should be able to do this in a few weeks if not less, I mean he/she/they designed the darn factions and corps right? surely they have an idea of what they are all about! :)

anyway till then I'll be enjoying the other fruits of your work on this game, which is one of the best games I have ever played... oh well, I'll be waiting! :)

Galaxion > If you drove a car shaped like a thorax women would call you
Demangel > Dude... I would call..
Demangel > wait that sounded g@y I bet.
Galaxion > Just a bit.
Demangel
Demangel
Gallente

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2003.07.10 12:06:00 - [2]

Many of you may have noticed this, but I haven't seen any posts about it yet, and I strongly feel this is an area of the game that needs addressing by CCP.

Is it really too much work for each NPC faction and NPC corp to have a short paragraph long blurb explaining to us the players what the public standing of the corp is in general?

Does the corp manufacture stuff? Are they working to free slaves? Are they slavers? Are they just another megacorp doing whatever it takes to make another buck? do they have an agenda? A goal? a purpose? what motivates it?

I mean come on in real life you wouldn't take a job working for a company without knowing what they produce or what kind of business they are in would you?

Sure the names sometimes give us little hints... But thats not enough...

So PLEASE CCP PLEASE put in a short paragraph long blurb or more telling us what the faction or Corporations role in the universe is.

I know some dingbat will come along and remind me of the oh so obvious fact that a corp might have ulterior motives, but they should at LEAST have a public front.

Something to attract workers ETC.

We know what interbus is... But what exactly is O.R.E all about? Are they simply explorers? Miners? Why do they seem to hate pirate corps so much? (your faction with ORE rises very quickly from killing any pirate).

Freedom Extensions something or other, are they a corp that tries to free minnimatar slaves?

Fedmart storage, are they just a governement beuracracy?

Khanid Kingdom, one of the royal amrr bloodlines?

If I join one of these will I be doing good oriented missions? lawful missions? Evil oriented missions? illegal missions? Both good and Evil lwfull and illegal?

I don't even have the vaguest clue!

tonight I got a mission frommy Khanid level one agent to drop off some super deadly virus to a nearby station. for all I know it's for medical research to help sick Amarr children suffering from a rare disease... Or maybe it's a plague the Amarr empire is about to release into free minnimatar populations!?

I have no idea, not that I should be told all these details, but I should be allowed to guess based on the general info available on the corp publically visible.

So come on CCP please this is pretty important, ESPECIALY iof your going to be using agents to effect the storyline.

It would really be nice to be able to choose what side I can work for besides just a name.

For all I know the slaver foundation (fictional corp), which sounds like a corp for slavers, might in fact be a freedom fighting corp. and I might miss a chance to role play that aspect of my characters personality in a way that influences the game forever!

I know some of you will tell me I'm nuts, that RP is for kids, or That it's too much work for CCP to put into the game for whatever reason, but all of you should seriously grow up...

It's NOT that much work to write a paragraph about maybe 2-3 dozen factions, and possible 4-5 Dozen NPC corporations is it? It would give us all a clue of what side we are on, and the agents themselves don't really tell you Jack or S***, and if they do it's probably in the initial greeting dialogue, and that is invariably quickly forgotten and ignored.

So come on CCP give the NPC factions some personality, some soul, it would add a LOT to the games ambiance, and is really so little effort I could cry...

your lead storywriter or whatever should be able to do this in a few weeks if not less, I mean he/she/they designed the darn factions and corps right? surely they have an idea of what they are all about! :)

anyway till then I'll be enjoying the other fruits of your work on this game, which is one of the best games I have ever played... oh well, I'll be waiting! :)

Galaxion > Just a bit.
Raem Civrie
Raem Civrie

Posted - 2003.07.10 12:15:00 - [3]

Fedmart is a Fedo Preservation Society. That should be obvious...
Raem Civrie
Raem Civrie
Umbra Congregatio
Interstellar Alcohol Conglomerate

Posted - 2003.07.10 12:15:00 - [4]

Fedmart is a Fedo Preservation Society. That should be obvious...
Demangel
Demangel

Posted - 2003.07.10 12:32:00 - [5]

LOL

even if you where being serious, in a video game even the obvious sometimes need to be explained indetail...

I KNOW what concord does... but what about O.R.E.? short of looking up a dusty old POTW I would never know...

Interbus? same thing...

Please cCP PRETYTY PLEASE!!!! Get Papa smurf back from his vacation heheh or better yet he can spend it here with me and I'll wait on him hand and foot while he writes the descriptive blurbs on my own PC :)

Galaxion > Just a bit.
Demangel
Demangel
Gallente

Posted - 2003.07.10 12:32:00 - [6]

LOL

even if you where being serious, in a video game even the obvious sometimes need to be explained indetail...

I KNOW what concord does... but what about O.R.E.? short of looking up a dusty old POTW I would never know...

Interbus? same thing...

Please cCP PRETYTY PLEASE!!!! Get Papa smurf back from his vacation heheh or better yet he can spend it here with me and I'll wait on him hand and foot while he writes the descriptive blurbs on my own PC :)

Galaxion > Just a bit.
Ralimenua
Ralimenua

Posted - 2003.07.10 13:32:00 - [7]

A copy / precis of some of the P.o.t.W. data into the Megacorp and faction descriptions would be nice.
--------------=o0O+O0o=--------------
Grand Vizier and General Factotum

Hazara Khan's Haphazard Bazaar
The Finest Camels in all EVE!
O0o=------------------+------------------=o0O
Ralimenua
Ralimenua

Posted - 2003.07.10 13:32:00 - [8]

A copy / precis of some of the P.o.t.W. data into the Megacorp and faction descriptions would be nice.
--------------=o0O+O0o=--------------
Grand Vizier and General Factotum

The Finest Camels in all EVE!
O0o=------------------+------------------=o0O
Azhraell
Azhraell

Posted - 2003.07.10 15:01:00 - [9]

I agree here - the whole NPC thing needs to be imbued with life. Aside from these bare bones that Demangel suggests (which are quite easy to implement), I'd also like to see some more NPC activity around - for example, say, Ishukone is one of the most powerful galactic corporations. Where are the heavily guarded Ishukone convoys transporting minerals to their factories? where are Ishukone mining teams working away at roid fields (yes, I know megacorps own planets, but I'd expect some space mining)? Where are the news of Ishukone researching this new BP or that, or of the Ishukone CEO meeting with an important functionary to discuss some important matter that might affect, say, major jump routes, or a market segment?
...etc...yes, I know I'm hopelessly optimistic...
_______

Azhraell
Azhraell
Gallente
Draconis Heavy Industries

Posted - 2003.07.10 15:01:00 - [10]

I agree here - the whole NPC thing needs to be imbued with life. Aside from these bare bones that Demangel suggests (which are quite easy to implement), I'd also like to see some more NPC activity around - for example, say, Ishukone is one of the most powerful galactic corporations. Where are the heavily guarded Ishukone convoys transporting minerals to their factories? where are Ishukone mining teams working away at roid fields (yes, I know megacorps own planets, but I'd expect some space mining)? Where are the news of Ishukone researching this new BP or that, or of the Ishukone CEO meeting with an important functionary to discuss some important matter that might affect, say, major jump routes, or a market segment?
...etc...yes, I know I'm hopelessly optimistic...
_______

Mardren
Mardren

Posted - 2003.07.10 15:56:00 - [11]

I also agree - right now the various NPC corps are little more than icons... only slightly more interesting than a number ("you are now doing an agent mission for NPC Corp 34034056").

This thread should be shifted to the idea lab!
Mardren
Mardren
Amarr
Tribunal for Greater Order

Posted - 2003.07.10 15:56:00 - [12]

I also agree - right now the various NPC corps are little more than icons... only slightly more interesting than a number ("you are now doing an agent mission for NPC Corp 34034056").

This thread should be shifted to the idea lab!
Azhraell
Azhraell

Posted - 2003.07.11 04:11:00 - [13]

No, then it would be shafted...
_______

Azhraell
Azhraell
Gallente

Posted - 2003.07.11 04:11:00 - [14]

No, then it would be shafted...
_______

Demangel
Demangel

Posted - 2003.07.11 06:42:00 - [15]

No the Idea lab area while a good idea in principle, is a virtual graveyard with very little input from the devs whatsoever that I have seen...

Also since we just got our new shiney billboards near jumpgates this IS in many ways potentialy relevant to that aspect of the patch.

Not sure if this changed over the course of the day, but we right now have 2 images cycling over and over through the billboards in my area:

Tank CEO bounty
Quafe.

And the news itself stinks (same news you see when you log in).

Now I know the current news is just a placeholder for in game news items about the games story ETC (some polaris folks told me this, and I also know CCP is considering letting players corps buy advertising space.), but we'll have to wait a while for much of that, possibly till Papa smurf comes back from his long vacation.

But the corporation data I would imagine could be put in soon, at least for the agents "show info" tab, since I'm sure there must be some notes and guidelines around the CCP office outlining the Faction/Corps purposes ETC, otherwise how could they have one corp effect another corp logically already? some bare bones info MUST be there somewhere in the office LOL.

Anyway the reason I asked for such a barebones addition is because there is still a LOT of work to be done on other features.

And rather than cause more whining by asking CCP to spend an entire patch on Agents, while other important things are still missing (AHEM RESEARCHING BPS FOR BETTER/competitive ITEMS!?).

this way we can all get a taste of things to come :)

I know in my heart of Hearts that CCP probably intends to put in a lot of things the way we have been asking, but we still need to wait, and thats the hardest part.

In the mean time lets encourage them to take baby steps on things like this till the headache of balancing and freature inclusion is over :)

Galaxion > Just a bit.
Demangel
Demangel
Gallente

Posted - 2003.07.11 06:42:00 - [16]

No the Idea lab area while a good idea in principle, is a virtual graveyard with very little input from the devs whatsoever that I have seen...

Also since we just got our new shiney billboards near jumpgates this IS in many ways potentialy relevant to that aspect of the patch.

Not sure if this changed over the course of the day, but we right now have 2 images cycling over and over through the billboards in my area:

Tank CEO bounty
Quafe.

And the news itself stinks (same news you see when you log in).

Now I know the current news is just a placeholder for in game news items about the games story ETC (some polaris folks told me this, and I also know CCP is considering letting players corps buy advertising space.), but we'll have to wait a while for much of that, possibly till Papa smurf comes back from his long vacation.

But the corporation data I would imagine could be put in soon, at least for the agents "show info" tab, since I'm sure there must be some notes and guidelines around the CCP office outlining the Faction/Corps purposes ETC, otherwise how could they have one corp effect another corp logically already? some bare bones info MUST be there somewhere in the office LOL.

Anyway the reason I asked for such a barebones addition is because there is still a LOT of work to be done on other features.

And rather than cause more whining by asking CCP to spend an entire patch on Agents, while other important things are still missing (AHEM RESEARCHING BPS FOR BETTER/competitive ITEMS!?).

this way we can all get a taste of things to come :)

I know in my heart of Hearts that CCP probably intends to put in a lot of things the way we have been asking, but we still need to wait, and thats the hardest part.

In the mean time lets encourage them to take baby steps on things like this till the headache of balancing and freature inclusion is over :)

Galaxion > Just a bit.
Azhraell
Azhraell

Posted - 2003.07.11 11:50:00 - [17]

Tank CEO bounty? I see Lord Zap bounty and Quafe everywhere, nice to have diversity. :)
_______

Azhraell
Azhraell
Gallente

Posted - 2003.07.11 11:50:00 - [18]

Tank CEO bounty? I see Lord Zap bounty and Quafe everywhere, nice to have diversity. :)
_______

Antwari
Antwari

Posted - 2006.12.08 16:52:00 - [19]

As I was just looking for Information on "Freedom Extensions" I happened to find this post. I absolutely agree that some more Information on the various NPC Corporations would be great! Not anyone cares about ingame RPG and thelike but it would deffinitely be of Interrest for a lot of players and give the world of EVE another push into game depth.

I am looking forward to read about one or another corporation some time (soon?) ^^
Joshua Foiritain
Joshua Foiritain
Gallente
Coreli Corporation
Corelum Syndicate

Posted - 2006.12.08 21:37:00 - [20]

Originally by: Antwari
As I was just looking for Information on "Freedom Extensions" I happened to find this post. I absolutely agree that some more Information on the various NPC Corporations would be great! Not anyone cares about ingame RPG and thelike but it would deffinitely be of Interrest for a lot of players and give the world of EVE another push into game depth.

I am looking forward to read about one or another corporation some time (soon?) ^^

This post was made years ago... plenty of info was added to the NPC corporations... all you have to do is show info them...
-----

[Coreli Corporation Mainframe]

Pages: [1] :: one page
First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page

Copyright © 2006-2024, Chribba - OMG Labs. All Rights Reserved. - perf 0,05s, ref 20240425/0831
EVE-Online™ and Eve imagery © CCP.

bitcoin: 1CHRiBBArqpw5Yz7x5KS2RRtN5ubEn5gF

COPYRIGHT NOTICE
EVE Online, the EVE logo, EVE and all associated logos and designs are the intellectual property of CCP hf. All artwork, screenshots, characters, vehicles, storylines, world facts or other recognizable features of the intellectual property relating to these trademarks are likewise the intellectual property of CCP hf. EVE Online and the EVE logo are the registered trademarks of CCP hf. All rights are reserved worldwide. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. CCP hf. has granted permission to EVE-Search.com to use EVE Online and all associated logos and designs for promotional and information purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not in any way affiliated with, EVE-Search.com. CCP is in no way responsible for the content on or functioning of this website, nor can it be liable for any damage arising from the use of this website.