Monitor this thread via RSS [?]

sepopen EVE General Discussion
    sepopen Announcement:Mass Disconnect - 16:35 12/04/2015

» Click here to find additional results for this topic using Google
 Monitor this thread via RSS [?]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 :: one page
Author Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 4 post(s)
Nat Silverguard
Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2015.04.14 14:58:17 - [151] - Quote

Ecklectrix wrote:
They got paid for a service that was not provided. Yes they did.

And if CCP suffered damages, they are within their right to persue the party that caused the DDOS attacks and seek damages from them, that however, is not my problem.

true you paid them, still no proof that they benefited from this, for all we know you are the one who chose not to avail their services. Smile

how can they be sure that you are indeed trying to log-in for real? after all their servers are fine. maybe you are just riding the wave and just want to seize the oppurtunity to take an advantage?

again, the burden of proof is on you, try again. Lol

Just Add Water

Ecklectrix
Ecklectrix
Interstellar Nuclear Penguins
DARKNESS.

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2015.04.14 15:01:00 - [152] - Quote

Nat Silverguard wrote:
Ecklectrix wrote:

And if CCP suffered damages, they are within their right to persue the party that caused the DDOS attacks and seek damages from them, that however, is not my problem.

true you paid them, still no proof that they benefited from this, for all we know you are the one who chose not to avail their services. Smile

how can they be sure that you are indeed trying to log-in for real? after all their servers are fine. maybe you are just riding the wave and just want to seize the oppurtunity to take an advantage?

do you even know how a contract works?
Lan Wang
Lan Wang
Stillwater Corporation
That Escalated Quickly.

Posted - 2015.04.14 15:03:41 - [153] - Quote

its hardly a contract, you are merely agreeing to some terms which state they dont guarantee the service to be active 100% of the time

EVEALON Creative - Logo Design & Branding | Digital Design

Dersen Lowery
Dersen Lowery
Drinking in Station

Posted - 2015.04.14 15:03:49 - [154] - Quote

Ecklectrix wrote:

Tranquility has been up the whole time, thanks to a considerable effort on their part. EVE Online is not the Internet.

Ecklectrix wrote:

One of the major appeals of DDOS attacks is that they are nearly impossible to trace to anyone. So what you are effectively asking is for CCP to take the blame and the financial hit on behalf of a party hostile to them.

All because you're losing your **** over access to a game.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Jenshae Chiroptera
Jenshae Chiroptera

Posted - 2015.04.14 15:06:16 - [155] - Quote

I am getting more and more angry! X
Why won't people rage with me? Evil
I know I am special enough to start a mob! Cry

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

High Sec needs a stepping stone to other areas of space, where they can grow

Fozzie is treating a symptom.

Ecklectrix
Ecklectrix
DARKNESS.

Posted - 2015.04.14 15:07:29 - [156] - Quote

Dersen Lowery wrote:
Ecklectrix wrote:

Tranquility has been up the whole time, thanks to a considerable effort on their part. EVE Online is not the Internet.

Ecklectrix wrote:

One of the major appeals of DDOS attacks is that they are nearly impossible to trace to anyone. So what you are effectively asking is for CCP to take the blame and the financial hit on behalf of a party hostile to them.

All because you're losing your **** over access to a game.

So I should bear the cost of it? All of the people affected should collectively bear the cost? CCP has insurance for that sort of thing, the consumer does not.

And tranquility was NOT up the whole time, tranquility was the target of the DDOS attacks.
War Kitten
War Kitten
Panda McLegion

Posted - 2015.04.14 15:09:01 - [157] - Quote

Ecklectrix wrote:

I don't need to understand how the interwebs works, so if you wish to insult me knowledge of how it does work go ahead, it is quite plainly irrelevant.
I also know that if I went around screwing my customers out of 4 days of work every quarter, I'd be out of business in a hurry.

Yawn.

It is simple.
Service paid for in advance. Service not recieved.
It doesn't get any simpler.

Tranquility was the target not "the general interwebs" nor, my "personal internet connection."

I knew it! Your expertise is contracts, but not the internet. You have no idea how the internet works, but believe that to be irrelevant to your case. You are wrong.

CCP does not provide the internet, they provide Tranquility. Tranquility was available. The internet between you and CCP was the broken part.

A good analogy would help here, and several were provided earlier, but you ignored them, so I'll stick to this case.

The service CCP provides does not include the internet. They provide game servers and game data and an account for you to login to and play on their servers, and they connect it to the internet to make it accessible to you. Their liability and ability to provide service ends at their connection to the internet.

If you knew a little more about how the internet worked, you might see things differently.

I find that without a good mob to provide one for them, most people would have no mentality at all.

Soldarius
Soldarius
Naliao Inc.
Test Alliance Please Ignore

Posted - 2015.04.14 15:10:47 - [158] - Quote

Iam The Flash wrote:
Yeh u gonna tell us all is fine again falcon

clearly it's not, 4th day in a row

but yeh

all is fine no?

Because its CCP's fault that some random got pissed off at his alliance leader's decision to drop sov, or evac, or whatever. Maybe mommy took away his credit card because he spent too much money on purple-fit Navy Ravens.

http://youtu.be/YVkUvmDQ3HY

Nat Silverguard
Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics

Posted - 2015.04.14 15:12:48 - [159] - Quote

Ecklectrix wrote:
Nat Silverguard wrote:
Ecklectrix wrote:

do you even know how a contract works?

I actually don't need to prove anything to you, your dis-Honor.

sure i do, but i am the one usually giving the service. Cool

so i won't let some wierdo to have my way with me. i asked you a couple of times which obligation CCP didn't fullfill that you think violated your right?

you keep saying that, "i paid therefore i'll receive". well honey, it ain't that easy. you can give all your money to CCP, if what you're asking is beyond their obligation, you won't get *******.

Just Add Water

Ecklectrix
Ecklectrix
DARKNESS.

Posted - 2015.04.14 15:13:34 - [160] - Quote

Lan Wang wrote:
its hardly a contract, you are merely agreeing to some terms which state they dont guarantee the service to be active 100% of the time

yeah, thats called a contract bud.

And saying "you will pay us for a service that we don't gaurantee we can provide" is unfair terms which unduly benefit the offeror (which are always ammended in the favor of the consumer)
Dersen Lowery
Dersen Lowery
Drinking in Station

Posted - 2015.04.14 15:22:26 - [161] - Quote

Ecklectrix wrote:
So I should bear the cost of it? All of the people affected should collectively bear the cost? CCP has insurance for that sort of thing, the consumer does not.

And tranquility was NOT up the whole time, tranquility was the target of the DDOS attacks.

You need to understand that Tranquility can be up and humming along nicely, but you still can't access it because something else on the Internet, which may or may not be a third-party service directly attached to Tranquility, is down or under attack. This used to happen more frequently: I still remember regular amounts of rage when Amazon's mass emails would knock over some poor little server that they happened to get routed through. In this case, CCP is in your position only much more so, where they're paying a large amount of money for bandwidth for Tranquility, and it's being denied to them by the DDOS attack.

There are links in this thread showing how DDOS attacks work. You should really take some time to educate yourself. The client's communication with the server is NOT a direct transaction between you and CCP.

You don't have insurance on your payment, incidentally, because it's not worth insuring $10/month. For what CCP pays for hosting and bandwidth, insurance makes perfect sense.

And that's essentially what you're doing. You're freaking out over a temporary loss of access to a cheap entertainment service. You know what? I don't have a terribly good connection to Tranquility either, so I'm playing Elder Scrolls Online. The amount of money I'm "losing" to the interruption of service wouldn't even get me a coffee.

I voted in CSM X!

Lan Wang
Lan Wang
Stillwater Corporation
That Escalated Quickly.

Posted - 2015.04.14 15:22:38 - [162] - Quote

Ecklectrix wrote:
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
Ecklectrix wrote:
I don't need to understand how the interwebs works, .
"I am trying to stand on two feet but one is in quicksand."

Ignorance confessed.
Operation successful.

With your history of misquoting that's interesting.
However, show me where I need to understand how the internet works to know that when I pay for a service its either supplied or money back? Consumer rights bud, has absolutely JACK to do with the interwebs, so sue me, I don't NEED to know how it works, thats why I pay people to do that work for me...you know like CCP gets paid to provide me with 4 days of air...oh wait, that wasn't what I paid for.

i would hate to work for your internet company godforbid your internet going down for 5 minutes

War Kitten
War Kitten
Panda McLegion

Posted - 2015.04.14 15:23:29 - [163] - Quote

Ecklectrix wrote:

Tranquility was most certainly up the whole time. 2 of my characters lost connection, but one stayed connected.

When CCP Falcon said that Tranquility was the target, he was simplifying things for laymen like yourself. Tranquility does not respond to these pings and discards DDoS traffic. Tranquility was just fine and kept on simulating spaceships.

What happened was the network, a collection of computers that route internet traffic from place to place, became congested with too much traffic, and some of it was unable to get through in a timely fashion. This is what a DDoS attack does - flood the network with traffic so that legitimate traffic has trouble getting through. Different points on this network can be targeted, and the target here was apparently the front door to Tranquility. Hundreds of thousands of network packets arrived on Tranquility's front door, and asked to come in and play, and Tranquility politely ignored those improper requests and allowed the proper requests that reached the front door to come right in.

But network packets are a fickle bunch, and they don't have a lot of patience. This is because they live very short lives. When the front door to CCP becomes so clogged with packets trying to get in, some of the packets just wont live long enough to make it to the front door. If network packets were allowed to have long lives, the internet would be absolutely filled with packets and clogged to the brim and nothing would ever get anywhere.

But at no time did Tranquility go down, become non-functional, or even get rebooted. Your packets just couldn't get in because of all the jerks trying to flood the front door. That's not CCP's fault or yours. It's just a fact of life on the internet.

Hopefully now you know a little more about how the internet works.

I find that without a good mob to provide one for them, most people would have no mentality at all.

Ecklectrix
Ecklectrix
DARKNESS.

Posted - 2015.04.14 15:26:12 - [164] - Quote

Lan Wang wrote:
Ecklectrix wrote:
Lan Wang wrote:

And saying "you will pay us for a service that we don't gaurantee we can provide" is unfair terms which unduly benefit the offeror (which are always ammended in the favor of the consumer)

do you realise how silly your argument actually sounds?

Contract
1) n. an agreement with specific terms between two or more persons or entities in which there is a promise to do something in return for a valuable benefit known as consideration. Since the law of contracts is at the heart of most business dealings, it is one of the three or four most significant areas of legal concern and can involve variations on circumstances and complexities. The existence of a contract requires finding the following factual elements: a) an offer; b) an acceptance of that offer which results in a meeting of the minds; c) a promise to perform; d) a valuable consideration (which can be a promise or payment in some form); e) a time or event when performance must be made (meet commitments); f) terms and conditions for performance, including fulfilling promises; g) performance.

Learn it, you'll use it every day of your life.

Jenn aSide
Jenn aSide
Smokin Aces.

Posted - 2015.04.14 15:26:43 - [165] - Quote

Ecklectrix wrote:

This is what you agree to when you pay your sub. Allow me to introduce you to the CONTRACT you signed.

http://community.eveonline.com/support/policies/eve-eula/?_ga=1.119401097.1006405533.1429024243

Quote:

NO WARRANTIES

The Software, System, Game and all Game Content, and all other services and material provided in connection therewith, are provided "AS IS," with all faults, and without warranty of any kind. You assume all risk of use and all risk associated with accessing the System and playing the Game.

CCP disclaims all warranties, whether express or implied, including without limitation the warranties of merchantability, fitness for particular purpose and non-infringement. There is no warranty against interference with your enjoyment of the Game. CCP does not warrant that the operation of the System or your access to the System, or that your use of the Software, will be uninterrupted or error-free, nor that the System or Software will be compatible with your hardware and software.

While CCP attempts to have the System available at most times, CCP does not guarantee that the System will always be available, or that the System will not become unavailable during Game play. The System may become unavailable for a number of reasons, including without limitation during the performance of maintenance to the System, for the implementation of new software, for emergency situations and due to equipment or telecommunications failures.
Jenn aSide
Jenn aSide
Smokin Aces.

Posted - 2015.04.14 15:29:02 - [166] - Quote

Ecklectrix wrote:
Lan Wang wrote:
Ecklectrix wrote:
Lan Wang wrote:

do you realise how silly your argument actually sounds?

Contract
1) n. an agreement with specific terms between two or more persons or entities in which there is a promise to do something in return for a valuable benefit known as consideration. Since the law of contracts is at the heart of most business dealings, it is one of the three or four most significant areas of legal concern and can involve variations on circumstances and complexities. The existence of a contract requires finding the following factual elements: a) an offer; b) an acceptance of that offer which results in a meeting of the minds; c) a promise to perform; d) a valuable consideration (which can be a promise or payment in some form); e) a time or event when performance must be made (meet commitments); f) terms and conditions for performance, including fulfilling promises; g) performance.

Learn it, you'll use it every day of your life.

Learn the contract you signed.
Dersen Lowery
Dersen Lowery
Drinking in Station

Posted - 2015.04.14 15:30:03 - [167] - Quote

Ecklectrix wrote:
Contract
1) n. an agreement with specific terms between two or more persons or entities in which there is a promise to do something in return for a valuable benefit known as consideration.

I believe that you'll find that CCP's contract takes into account the fact that there's a famously uncontrollable and occasionally unreliable medium connecting the client to the server, and that CCP is not liable for what happens in that medium.

Tranquility's been up, and it's been hooked up to the Internet on a fat, expensive pipe. That is the extent of CCP's responsibility, because they cannot possibly be responsible for anything beyond that. You can shout "CONTRACTS!" until you're blue in the face, and it simply can't change anything about that simple reality.

Go for a walk in a park or something.

I voted in CSM X!

Ecklectrix
Ecklectrix
DARKNESS.

Posted - 2015.04.14 15:31:15 - [168] - Quote

War Kitten wrote:

Wow, a civil response, thanks for the education on it.
It still does not mean CCP didn't get unjustly enriched by the attacks, unjust enrichment does not require it to be their fault, simply for them to recieve a payment for a service they were unable, at the time, to provide.
Jenn aSide
Jenn aSide
Smokin Aces.

Posted - 2015.04.14 15:36:59 - [169] - Quote

Ecklectrix wrote:
War Kitten wrote:

It still does not mean CCP didn't get unjustly enriched by the attacks, unjust enrichment does not require it to be their fault, simply for them to recieve a payment for a service they were unable, at the time, to provide.

"Unjustly enriched" means they received money (or some other kind of consideration) while not providing the service in the way they said they would.

In the contract you signed, they covered that, and you you STILL decided to give them money even though they told you "we don't guarantee you will have access to the system when you want".

The problem is that you didn't read the contract you signed, not that CCP did anything wrong.
Jenshae Chiroptera
Jenshae Chiroptera

Posted - 2015.04.14 15:38:06 - [170] - Quote

Thread summary added to the fourth post.
Hopefully it will save some people from wasting their time on this thread. Blink

Lan Wang
Lan Wang
Stillwater Corporation
That Escalated Quickly.

Posted - 2015.04.14 15:38:10 - [171] - Quote

Ecklectrix wrote:
War Kitten wrote:

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/sony-psn-hacking-lawsuit-thrown-out-by-judge-1106766

Key Points:

A California district judge threw out the charges, saying "there is no such thing as perfect security."

But Battaglia ruled that the data was stolen by a "criminal intrusion of Sony's Network. Plaintiffs do not allege that Sony was in any way involved with the data breach."

Battaglia added: "There is no such thing as perfect security. We cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information transmitted to us."

you are expecting to be provided with perfect service which is not possible and ccp have highlighted this in the eula everyone knows that sometimes internety things go down for reasons nobody really understands or cares to understand you just want some free stuff which would cost more than the probable $1 disruption it actually cost you

War Kitten
War Kitten
Panda McLegion

Posted - 2015.04.14 15:43:18 - [172] - Quote

Ecklectrix wrote:
War Kitten wrote:

A simple Googling of "Unjust Enrichment" has educated me as well, and I find another way in which you may be wrong:

"Recovery on a theory of unjust enrichment typically occurs where there was no contract between the parties, or a contract turns out to be invalid."

You've got a contract that is quite valid with CCP. And they kept their end of the bargain as described in said contract.

Nat Silverguard
Nat Silverguard
Aideron Robotics

Posted - 2015.04.14 15:47:47 - [173] - Quote

Ecklectrix wrote:
War Kitten wrote:

again, they did not benefited from this. yes you paid, but it is also you who chose NOT to avail of their services because somebody is DDoSing your network. Cool

Just Add Water

Jenshae Chiroptera
Jenshae Chiroptera

Posted - 2015.04.14 16:11:47 - [174] - Quote

Anyone else getting a load of mails from Ecklectrix that they just keep clicking "Delete" upon receiving?

Ecklectrix
Ecklectrix
DARKNESS.

Posted - 2015.04.14 16:14:04 - [175] - Quote

Jenn aSide wrote:

The problem is that you didn't read the contract you signed, not that CCP did anything wrong.

Oh I read it, however they can not then sell a 30 day game card, if they can not guarantee 30 days of continual play - or in the case where 30 days of continual play can not be achieved, they are still required to provide the equivalent of 30 days of availability. If the server was unavailable, as it was to a freaking truck load of people, then there is no continual play, no continual 30 days. Pay for 30 days, get 30 days, you keep trying to complicate it. If its not a big deal to you, then pay the 4 days for me.
Ecklectrix
Ecklectrix
DARKNESS.

Posted - 2015.04.14 16:19:20 - [176] - Quote

Dersen Lowery wrote:
The amount of money I'm "losing" to the interruption of service wouldn't even get me a coffee.

Yes but 1/3rd of a coffee times thousands of players with the same problem = a lot of money
If other people want to forfeit their money to CCP they are welcome to, I feel that if I pay for something, I should get what was promised. I keep my end of the bargain by paying on time, they simply need to keep theirs. It's a very simple contract, and no matter how much people keep trying to say it, they can not put terms in their contract that absolve them of all responsibility and liability, it just doesn't work that way - EULA's are rarely worth the virtual ink they are printed on.
Jenn aSide
Jenn aSide
Smokin Aces.

Posted - 2015.04.14 16:21:44 - [177] - Quote

Ecklectrix wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

Oh I read it, however they can not then sell a 30 day game card, if they can not guarantee 30 days of continual play - or in the case where 30 days of continual play can not be achieved, they are still required to provide the equivalent of 30 days of availability. If the server was unavailable, as it was to a freaking truck load of people, then there is no continual play, no continual 30 days. Pay for 30 days, get 30 days, you keep trying to complicate it. If its not a big deal to you, then pay the 4 days for me.

You are experiencing this right now.. The contract you signed is clear, CCP doesn't owe you or me or anyone anything, period.

If you disagree, the contract you signed also assigns any such disagreements to this place where you can take it up:
Quote:
The sole and exclusive forum for resolving any controversy, dispute or claim arising out of or relating to the EULA, or otherwise relating to any rights in, access to or use of the Software, System, Game, Game Content, User Content and/or the rights and obligations of the parties hereto, shall be the District Court of Reykjav+”k, Iceland, (H+¬ra+¦sd+¦mur Reykjav+”kur).

So go file a case with them. That way (since you don't want to understand what mutiple people and the contract you signed says) a judge can tell you (in Icelandic or whatever the hell they speak) that no one owes you so much as a single a dime, and you signed the contract that says no one owes you a dime.

Good luck with your U.S. $2 law suit. That's how much 'money' you lost.
Nicolai Serkanner
Nicolai Serkanner
Jebediah Kerman's Junkyard and Spaceship Parts Co.
Brave Collective

Posted - 2015.04.14 16:22:42 - [178] - Quote

Iam The Flash wrote:
How is it not their fault?

Nothing else stopped working for me.

Three server conenctions to work stayed up, 2 x FTP clients working fine, teamspeak working fine, skype working fine. No issue with youtube or ctrlaltdel online either.

Yeh three eve accounts shut down n refuse to connect

And it's not their fault?

lol much m8

Miner calm down!
Dersen Lowery
Dersen Lowery
Drinking in Station

Posted - 2015.04.14 16:25:52 - [179] - Quote

Ecklectrix wrote:
Dersen Lowery wrote:
The amount of money I'm "losing" to the interruption of service wouldn't even get me a coffee.

Yes but 1/3rd of a coffee times thousands of players with the same problem = a lot of money
If other people want to forfeit their money to CCP they are welcome to, I feel that if I pay for something, I should get what was promised. .

And for the last time, you are getting what you paid for. CCP has supplied you with a client and a server. The client launches. The server is up.

You're welcome to continue to see the plain truth as uncivil, I suppose, but it doesn't change the plain truth.

Stop blaming CCP for an anonymous assault that's costing them a whole hell of a lot more than it's costing you.

I voted in CSM X!

Ecklectrix
Ecklectrix
DARKNESS.

Posted - 2015.04.14 16:28:05 - [180] - Quote

Jenn aSide wrote:
The contract you signed is clear, CCP doesn't owe you or me or anyone anything, period.

Oh really, so if you say, go to McDonalds, order and pay for a burger and they stare blankly at you and say "oops sorry our grill isn't working, but we're keeping your money" You'd say that would be ok right?

Jenn aSide wrote:
If you disagree, the contract you signed also assigns any such disagreements to this place where you can take it up:
Quote:
The sole and exclusive forum for resolving any controversy, dispute or claim arising out of or relating to the EULA, or otherwise relating to any rights in, access to or use of the Software, System, Game, Game Content, User Content and/or the rights and obligations of the parties hereto, shall be the District Court of Reykjav+”k, Iceland, (H+¬ra+¦sd+¦mur Reykjav+”kur).

So go file a case with them. That way (since you don't want to understand what mutiple people and the contract you signed says) a judge can tell you (in Icelandic or whatever the hell they speak) that no one owes you so much as a single a dime, and you signed the contract that says no one owes you a dime.

Didn't say they owed me a dime either, just said they owed me what I paid them for, the terms of my subscription = 30 days. Simples.

1. Never signed a contract, There is no wet signiature, if I did, I rescind it now. I "accepted" the offer symbolically by clicking accept and paying money (in return for service).
2. Contracts can not contain terms absolving the oferror of all of their obligations for the service they were contracted to engage in. (This would be an awesome world you live in, you pay your mechanic to fix your brakes, only he doesn't bother because well he wrote that he doesn't have to)
3. Performance is a sepcific part of the contract, and they were unable to.
4. I already know where to take my complaint, I read the EULA thoroughly, and you've misinterpreted what it states.
5. All complaints must first be attempted to be resolved with the party BEFORE going to a court of law (if you knew something about it, you would already know that) Otherwise the judge will just recommend mediation FIRST.

So, CCP...lets communicate. I've sent you support tickets (no answer), It's been a good few days of discussion on here (no answer).

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 :: one page
First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page

Copyright © 2006-2024, Chribba - OMG Labs. All Rights Reserved. - perf 0,08s, ref 20240416/1221
EVE-Online™ and Eve imagery © CCP.

bitcoin: 1CHRiBBArqpw5Yz7x5KS2RRtN5ubEn5gF

COPYRIGHT NOTICE
EVE Online, the EVE logo, EVE and all associated logos and designs are the intellectual property of CCP hf. All artwork, screenshots, characters, vehicles, storylines, world facts or other recognizable features of the intellectual property relating to these trademarks are likewise the intellectual property of CCP hf. EVE Online and the EVE logo are the registered trademarks of CCP hf. All rights are reserved worldwide. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. CCP hf. has granted permission to EVE-Search.com to use EVE Online and all associated logos and designs for promotional and information purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not in any way affiliated with, EVE-Search.com. CCP is in no way responsible for the content on or functioning of this website, nor can it be liable for any damage arising from the use of this website.