Monitor this thread via RSS [?]

Author Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s)
GardenerOfEden
GardenerOfEden

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2004.04.27 12:43:00 - [1]

The fundamental problem with bounty hunting atm is that it is illegal - if you accept that the only legal jurisdiction in the EVEverse is empire space policed by CONCORD then you cannot pod kill a pilot to claim a bounty in that jurisdiction without that act of bounty hunting being treated as a crime resulting in a security status hit / CONCORD response. Sure you can pod kill a -5, or worse, sec status pilot but that is because the pilot is classified as an outlaw not because the pilot has a bounty.

It is absolutely ridiculous that you can fly passed a billboard proclaiming the fact that pilot X has a bounty running into the tens of millions of isk, is wanted for crimes against humanity, and see that pilot X right there in space before you and be unable to take any action because pilot XÆs security status is something like -1.7 or is even positive.

What is required is a Bounty Hunter Licence that you can acquire from CONCORD at a set price for a set period of time (just like ship insurance) if you have, and maintain, a certain positive security status / standing with CONCORD. You would then be flagged (just like those with bounties) as a licensed bounty hunter legally entitled to pod kill pilots with bounties no matter what the sec status of the solar system or the pilot. The bounty pilot would be able to fight back in non-empire and empire space as they would not be the aggressor and CONCORD would not get involved (just like a corp war). Obviously itÆs a one-off kill if successful since it wipes the bounty.

I agree that there is also an issue regarding the practicalities of tracking down pilots and forcing PvP but inherent in what you are saying is the issue of how easy it should be for an individual pilot to bounty hunt as compared to a corp / network. Obviously the rewards need to be larger to attract corp / networks and I like the idea of being able to restrict (or pay a bonus to) such groups û players would then be more inclined to place larger bounties if they can be confident that the pirate not be able to claim the bounty with an effective suicide. Personally I donÆt think it should be as easy to bounty hunt solo as what has been suggested in this thread but it should not be impossible and I note in that context that CCP has already flagged the use of tracking beacons in the story Prey Miner.

EVE is a massive social experiment of human interaction facilitated by computer technology
GardenerOfEden
GardenerOfEden
Deep Space Fishing

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2004.04.27 12:43:00 - [2]

The fundamental problem with bounty hunting atm is that it is illegal - if you accept that the only legal jurisdiction in the EVEverse is empire space policed by CONCORD then you cannot pod kill a pilot to claim a bounty in that jurisdiction without that act of bounty hunting being treated as a crime resulting in a security status hit / CONCORD response. Sure you can pod kill a -5, or worse, sec status pilot but that is because the pilot is classified as an outlaw not because the pilot has a bounty.

It is absolutely ridiculous that you can fly passed a billboard proclaiming the fact that pilot X has a bounty running into the tens of millions of isk, is wanted for crimes against humanity, and see that pilot X right there in space before you and be unable to take any action because pilot XÆs security status is something like -1.7 or is even positive.

What is required is a Bounty Hunter Licence that you can acquire from CONCORD at a set price for a set period of time (just like ship insurance) if you have, and maintain, a certain positive security status / standing with CONCORD. You would then be flagged (just like those with bounties) as a licensed bounty hunter legally entitled to pod kill pilots with bounties no matter what the sec status of the solar system or the pilot. The bounty pilot would be able to fight back in non-empire and empire space as they would not be the aggressor and CONCORD would not get involved (just like a corp war). Obviously itÆs a one-off kill if successful since it wipes the bounty.

I agree that there is also an issue regarding the practicalities of tracking down pilots and forcing PvP but inherent in what you are saying is the issue of how easy it should be for an individual pilot to bounty hunt as compared to a corp / network. Obviously the rewards need to be larger to attract corp / networks and I like the idea of being able to restrict (or pay a bonus to) such groups û players would then be more inclined to place larger bounties if they can be confident that the pirate not be able to claim the bounty with an effective suicide. Personally I donÆt think it should be as easy to bounty hunt solo as what has been suggested in this thread but it should not be impossible and I note in that context that CCP has already flagged the use of tracking beacons in the story Prey Miner.

EVE is a massive social experiment of human interaction facilitated by computer technology
GardenerOfEden
GardenerOfEden

Posted - 2004.04.27 13:06:00 - [3]

Originally by: Viceroy
Bounty hunting should be illegal imo. Bounty hunters arent "good-guys". They're ambitious fighters that kill people for money. I'm a pirate and I bounty hunt too. So bounty hunting should still be partially illegal imo.

And allowing bounty hunters to kill people in secure systems even if they have a 5k bounty wouldnt be right.

1. It is not about the bounty hunter it is about the pilot who has the bounty - the bounty has only been able to be placed because the pilot has been bad, probably more than once, and therefore deserves to receive justice regardless of whether it is delivered by a bad bald guy like you or a good bald guy like me Wink

2. The size of the bounty is self balancing - a bounty hunter is less likely to attack a pirate if the bounty was only 5,000 isk, when killing a npc frigate for the same bounty would be easier, but more likely if the bounty was 20,000,000 isk. Those with big bounties should be harder to kill in recognition of the difficulty, risk and the transgression.

3. Under the system I discussed it may be appropriate to change the threshold for placing a bounty if the consequences are more severe but that is a tuning matter only.

GardenerOfEden
GardenerOfEden
Deep Space Fishing

Posted - 2004.04.27 13:06:00 - [4]

Originally by: Viceroy
Bounty hunting should be illegal imo. Bounty hunters arent "good-guys". They're ambitious fighters that kill people for money. I'm a pirate and I bounty hunt too. So bounty hunting should still be partially illegal imo.

And allowing bounty hunters to kill people in secure systems even if they have a 5k bounty wouldnt be right.

1. It is not about the bounty hunter it is about the pilot who has the bounty - the bounty has only been able to be placed because the pilot has been bad, probably more than once, and therefore deserves to receive justice regardless of whether it is delivered by a bad bald guy like you or a good bald guy like me Wink

2. The size of the bounty is self balancing - a bounty hunter is less likely to attack a pirate if the bounty was only 5,000 isk, when killing a npc frigate for the same bounty would be easier, but more likely if the bounty was 20,000,000 isk. Those with big bounties should be harder to kill in recognition of the difficulty, risk and the transgression.

3. Under the system I discussed it may be appropriate to change the threshold for placing a bounty if the consequences are more severe but that is a tuning matter only.

GardenerOfEden
GardenerOfEden

Posted - 2004.04.27 21:09:00 - [5]

With respect to empire bounty hunting:

1.1. Currently a pilot with a bounty who is not also an outlaw is safer in empire space than in non-empire space because the pilot is protected by CONCORD sentries and ships, and by the fact that goodie-to-shoes pilots wonÆt take the sec status hit for an unprovoked attack. This is absurd. The pilot only has the bounty because the pilot has broken the laws of the empires within their jurisdiction, which laws then allow the placing of a bounty for the killing of the pilot. It is nonsensical to effectively have a CONCORD sanctioned death penalty on the one hand and on the other hand make it a crime to enforce that penalty. It is, however, realistic for the enforcement to be regulated, and effectively taxed, under a licence scheme.

1.2. A pilot with a bounty should be on the run and should not be able to live it up large in empire space. It would be more realistic to encounter such a pilot in deep space sheltering in pirate alliance or faction territory than, say, flying an industrial ship through Yulai! Bounty hunters may find it too risky to stalk their marks in pirate territory but they should surely be able to do so in empire space.

With respect to who should be able to hold a licence and who should have bounties:

2.1. The point you make is the reason for not being able to place a bounty on someone just because they have a negative sec status but rather requiring it to be -2 or worse, so we are talking more of Jack the Ripper than Jack the Carebear. Further, after receiving justice the pilot with relatively good sec status, by which I mean they have climbed above the bounty threshold, can then carry on as a good clone û it is only the true criminal that need fear perpetual killing but how is that unfair when such a person is likely to be a serial killer?

2.2. You should need good standing with CONCORD to get a bounty hunting licence û after all it would constitute a privileged exemption from CONCORDÆs general policing of aggressive acts against other pilots. The requirement for positive security status is really a requirement for experience since you can only get positive security status from killing pirates who co-incidentally have bounties and it provides a tangible benefit for having positive sec status beyond bragging rights and intimidation.

GardenerOfEden
GardenerOfEden
Deep Space Fishing

Posted - 2004.04.27 21:09:00 - [6]

With respect to empire bounty hunting:

1.1. Currently a pilot with a bounty who is not also an outlaw is safer in empire space than in non-empire space because the pilot is protected by CONCORD sentries and ships, and by the fact that goodie-to-shoes pilots wonÆt take the sec status hit for an unprovoked attack. This is absurd. The pilot only has the bounty because the pilot has broken the laws of the empires within their jurisdiction, which laws then allow the placing of a bounty for the killing of the pilot. It is nonsensical to effectively have a CONCORD sanctioned death penalty on the one hand and on the other hand make it a crime to enforce that penalty. It is, however, realistic for the enforcement to be regulated, and effectively taxed, under a licence scheme.

1.2. A pilot with a bounty should be on the run and should not be able to live it up large in empire space. It would be more realistic to encounter such a pilot in deep space sheltering in pirate alliance or faction territory than, say, flying an industrial ship through Yulai! Bounty hunters may find it too risky to stalk their marks in pirate territory but they should surely be able to do so in empire space.

With respect to who should be able to hold a licence and who should have bounties:

2.1. The point you make is the reason for not being able to place a bounty on someone just because they have a negative sec status but rather requiring it to be -2 or worse, so we are talking more of Jack the Ripper than Jack the Carebear. Further, after receiving justice the pilot with relatively good sec status, by which I mean they have climbed above the bounty threshold, can then carry on as a good clone û it is only the true criminal that need fear perpetual killing but how is that unfair when such a person is likely to be a serial killer?

2.2. You should need good standing with CONCORD to get a bounty hunting licence û after all it would constitute a privileged exemption from CONCORDÆs general policing of aggressive acts against other pilots. The requirement for positive security status is really a requirement for experience since you can only get positive security status from killing pirates who co-incidentally have bounties and it provides a tangible benefit for having positive sec status beyond bragging rights and intimidation.

Copyright © 2006-2024, Chribba - OMG Labs. All Rights Reserved. - perf 0,05s, ref 20240420/0215
EVE-Online™ and Eve imagery © CCP.

bitcoin: 1CHRiBBArqpw5Yz7x5KS2RRtN5ubEn5gF

COPYRIGHT NOTICE
EVE Online, the EVE logo, EVE and all associated logos and designs are the intellectual property of CCP hf. All artwork, screenshots, characters, vehicles, storylines, world facts or other recognizable features of the intellectual property relating to these trademarks are likewise the intellectual property of CCP hf. EVE Online and the EVE logo are the registered trademarks of CCP hf. All rights are reserved worldwide. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. CCP hf. has granted permission to EVE-Search.com to use EVE Online and all associated logos and designs for promotional and information purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not in any way affiliated with, EVE-Search.com. CCP is in no way responsible for the content on or functioning of this website, nor can it be liable for any damage arising from the use of this website.