Monitor this thread via RSS [?]

Pages: [1] :: one page
Author Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s)
Nikolai Ivanov
Nikolai Ivanov

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2004.08.08 21:33:00 - [1]

I've been playing this game for a few days, and I absolutely cannot decipher the map. Is there a good tutorial FAQ on using it? For the moment I just input where I want to go on the find places tab.
Nikolai Ivanov
Nikolai Ivanov

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2004.08.08 21:33:00 - [2]

I've been playing this game for a few days, and I absolutely cannot decipher the map. Is there a good tutorial FAQ on using it? For the moment I just input where I want to go on the find places tab.
Nikolai Ivanov
Nikolai Ivanov

Posted - 2004.08.08 21:33:00 - [3]

Vistilantus
Vistilantus

Posted - 2004.08.08 21:47:00 - [4]

to be honest, setting waypoints using people and places is probably the best way to do it. it's a lot easier, imho than using the map.

if your plotting a course near where you are, you could try the mini-map (f11). The main map can give a lot of information, sometimes too much information. zooming in also helps alot (using the scroll wheel or holding both mouse buttons + pushing / pulling)

hope this helps.

~Vistilantus

~I don't Have an attitude problem, YOU have a perception problem.
Vistilantus
Vistilantus

Posted - 2004.08.08 21:47:00 - [5]

to be honest, setting waypoints using people and places is probably the best way to do it. it's a lot easier, imho than using the map.

if your plotting a course near where you are, you could try the mini-map (f11). The main map can give a lot of information, sometimes too much information. zooming in also helps alot (using the scroll wheel or holding both mouse buttons + pushing / pulling)

hope this helps.

~Vistilantus

~I don't Have an attitude problem, YOU have a perception problem.
Vistilantus
Vistilantus
Caldari
Salvaging and Exploration Co.

Posted - 2004.08.08 21:47:00 - [6]

hope this helps.

Posted - 2004.08.09 03:04:00 - [7]

I know of no guide. I assume you are talking about the star map (the blue thing) as opposed to the map browser.

It is hard to read it because there are so many systems.

Here are some tips:

(1) use the map option in the market; this will give you plain 2D graphs of the current region that are much easier to understand

(2) set your destination to various points to see paths through the map

(3) use the map browser (F11)

(4) make your own map sketches from the map browser and market maps; record only key systems

Posted - 2004.08.09 03:04:00 - [8]

I know of no guide. I assume you are talking about the star map (the blue thing) as opposed to the map browser.

Here are some tips:

(1) use the map option in the market; this will give you plain 2D graphs of the current region that are much easier to understand

(4) make your own map sketches from the map browser and market maps; record only key systems

Posted - 2004.08.09 03:04:00 - [9]

Here are some tips:

Posted - 2004.08.09 14:07:00 - [10]

There is an option in the map settings screen that lets you view the map 2D.

There is another that lets you reset the camera position.

However I would reccomend getting used to the 3D map.

There are options to colour the stars by many different filters.

I got used to the map by colouring the stars by which empire they belong, and by constantly resetting the camera.

This gives you a frame of referance to get used to the placement of the different empires.

However I find it more useful to colour the stars by security status, as this lets you navigate more safely. Or at least allows you to be aware of wherre there is risk.

When looking at a route on the map I like to hold the mouse button down and keep the map moving a little to let you see the perspective. It helps you to get a 3D mental image of the area.

Holding the left mouse button down on the map allows you to rotate it.

Holding the right MB down lets you move the map without rotating it.

Holding both mb down lets you zoom in and out.

The map is very complex and can give you loads of information that can help you navigate safely. I always preview my route using the main map.

I find the minimap frustrating as I am used to 3D. but it is very useful for plotting short routes.

But you will quickly find there are some routes you use more than others, and when you are used to these parts of space you can just set your course using "people and places" bookmarks.

------------------------------
"Burn the land and boil the sea, you cant take the sky from me"

Fenris.
Fenris
Fenris

Posted - 2004.08.09 14:07:00 - [11]

I got used to the map by colouring the stars by which empire they belong, and by constantly resetting the camera.

This gives you a frame of referance to get used to the placement of the different empires.

However I find it more useful to colour the stars by security status, as this lets you navigate more safely. Or at least allows you to be aware of wherre there is risk.

When looking at a route on the map I like to hold the mouse button down and keep the map moving a little to let you see the perspective. It helps you to get a 3D mental image of the area.

The map is very complex and can give you loads of information that can help you navigate safely. I always preview my route using the main map.

I find the minimap frustrating as I am used to 3D. but it is very useful for plotting short routes.

But you will quickly find there are some routes you use more than others, and when you are used to these parts of space you can just set your course using "people and places" bookmarks.

Fenris.
Fenris
Fenris
Caldari
Deep Core Mining Inc.

Posted - 2004.08.09 14:07:00 - [12]

Fenris.
Toshiro Hasegawa
Toshiro Hasegawa

Posted - 2004.08.09 18:16:00 - [13]

the only thing that will truly help, is spending the time poking around, and trying all the various features.

I turn on all the labels, all the lines, set the line to jump type (diff colours of jump lines refer to whether its region to region, constelation to constelation, or within a constelation.), set the autopilot to shortest route (cause i take care of the safety issue by being vigilant in local).

The main use of the map is to show information about systems. You can show actual colour (which has no value whatsoever so far as i can tell ((as of yet))). You can see the security level. You can see pilots in space, how many kills in space, how many stations in space, and what types of facilities are offered at the stations. etc.. Play with the all, learn your environment.

It usualy best to keep the frame of reference the same. You can manipulate the map, and right click in a blank area of the map to "reset camera". You can right click on systems and show info on them to get a detailed listing of information about the system.

practice makes perfect.
-

History is the Study of Change
Toshiro Hasegawa
Toshiro Hasegawa

Posted - 2004.08.09 18:16:00 - [14]

the only thing that will truly help, is spending the time poking around, and trying all the various features.

I turn on all the labels, all the lines, set the line to jump type (diff colours of jump lines refer to whether its region to region, constelation to constelation, or within a constelation.), set the autopilot to shortest route (cause i take care of the safety issue by being vigilant in local).

The main use of the map is to show information about systems. You can show actual colour (which has no value whatsoever so far as i can tell ((as of yet))). You can see the security level. You can see pilots in space, how many kills in space, how many stations in space, and what types of facilities are offered at the stations. etc.. Play with the all, learn your environment.

It usualy best to keep the frame of reference the same. You can manipulate the map, and right click in a blank area of the map to "reset camera". You can right click on systems and show info on them to get a detailed listing of information about the system.

practice makes perfect.
-

Toshiro Hasegawa
Toshiro Hasegawa
Caldari
23rd Armor

Posted - 2004.08.09 18:16:00 - [15]

practice makes perfect.
-

Nomhad
Nomhad

Posted - 2007.07.08 21:11:00 - [16]

I've been trying to do the tutorial part about how to work with the Map and how to find agents using the map menu.
Worthless. All it does is giving you a headache : (
I asked in the Rookie Help chatchannel but without any luck.
Vincenzo Delloro
Vincenzo Delloro
Amarr
Lux et Veritas

Posted - 2007.07.08 22:21:00 - [17]

Originally by: Nomhad
I've been trying to do the tutorial part about how to work with the Map and how to find agents using the map menu.
Worthless. All it does is giving you a headache : (
I asked in the Rookie Help chatchannel but without any luck.

To see your Agent Statistics you need to select "My Agents" under "My Assets" in the star map settings tab. The bigger green a blob the star is, the more agents you have there.

When you're first staring out, the map won't be much use finding agents as you don't have access to very many anyway. You're better off looking at the info of a corporation you want to work for, clicking the "Agents" tab and looking through all the ones that are "Available to You" to find one (or preferrably more) based in a station you'd like to base yourself out of.
Hammer Judge
Hammer Judge
Southern Cross Incorporated
Rule of Three

Posted - 2007.07.08 23:30:00 - [18]

I agree the star map in-game is not well documented nor particularly intuitive.

You do get the hang of it though.

Alternatively, for out-of-game maps which you might print, this page of my guide links to three sources including Ombey's complete maps.
Tiberyya Za
Tiberyya Za
Gallente
Bellum Aeternus
The Makhai

Posted - 2007.07.09 01:14:00 - [19]

I recommend
* labels: none
* lines: current region
* line color: jump type
* color stars by: security status
Oriella Trikassi
Oriella Trikassi
Trikassi Enterprises

Posted - 2007.07.09 05:08:00 - [20]

Originally by: Nikolai Ivanov

I'm afraid it's a matter of persevering until the patterns become fixed in memory. Rotate until the map is the 'right' way up, as in the Alliance Map.

Jump lines help, set them to 'region only' to get a feel for local connections.

Colors are up to you, I use 'Assets' but then I'm a Trader. Very Happy

---
Trikassi Enterprises, oiling the jumpgates of commerce since 2004
Nomhad
Nomhad

Posted - 2007.07.09 15:56:00 - [21]

Thanks guys. That was usefull information Very Happy

Pages: [1] :: one page
First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page

Copyright © 2006-2024, Chribba - OMG Labs. All Rights Reserved. - perf 0,06s, ref 20240606/0448
EVE-Online™ and Eve imagery © CCP.

bitcoin: 1CHRiBBArqpw5Yz7x5KS2RRtN5ubEn5gF

COPYRIGHT NOTICE
EVE Online, the EVE logo, EVE and all associated logos and designs are the intellectual property of CCP hf. All artwork, screenshots, characters, vehicles, storylines, world facts or other recognizable features of the intellectual property relating to these trademarks are likewise the intellectual property of CCP hf. EVE Online and the EVE logo are the registered trademarks of CCP hf. All rights are reserved worldwide. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. CCP hf. has granted permission to EVE-Search.com to use EVE Online and all associated logos and designs for promotional and information purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not in any way affiliated with, EVE-Search.com. CCP is in no way responsible for the content on or functioning of this website, nor can it be liable for any damage arising from the use of this website.