| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

HawkBlade
Minmatar The Higher Standard Virtue of Selfishness
|
Posted - 2009.04.09 17:01:00 -
[1]
TL:DRThis is a story, a story that demonstrates why freeform contracts need to die. It is also a story about how to make scammers lose.
While I was in Jita looking at prices and blocking the 999,999,999 ( no billion marker CCP!) crowd there came the usual double/triple/steal your isk group. A variant, new to me, introduce himself in local and said, "Security via contract provided, check my bio." What I found was: Originally by: Everybruce I'm leaving EVE due to rl issues. I have just sold my main char and I gave the bigger part of my asset to my ex corp. Now i'm giving few bils away to random ppl. Convo me, tell me how much you have and i'll make you a contract that double your money.
Curious, but of course, I opened a dialogue with him. Sadly I missed a golden opportunity when quickly delivered to me was a free form contract doubling my imaginary 498m (collateral) with a 1 billion isk reward. What's sad is not that I feel for it (I didn't) or not that the scan us lame (it is) but that I didn't make the guy put more effort into is work. How can anyone have pride if their job is disgustingly easy? So I proceeded to give the next guy tons of pride. Shortly after Everybruce logged off, almost immediately, another kind doubler came along: Originally by: Polaris Rome Recently i have made 32.5 bill. I am giving away 10 bill in isk. If you send em isk i will double it. Any isk sent to me can be done via contract or via wallet it is your choice. This is a one time offer and you only get one chance.
Convo if interested.
What follows was interesting for me... ... |

HawkBlade
Minmatar The Higher Standard Virtue of Selfishness
|
Posted - 2009.04.09 17:28:00 -
[2]
Sorry about the wait. Trying to figure out best way to post rest of this and well here it is. (Chat log was to large for posting and might violate forum rules too). The moral of the story is: No one is going to sit in Jita and repeatedly beg you to take something from them for free. Find anyone that does this, take them along for a ride. Oh, and can we finally see the death of useless freeform contracts?
|

Khan Brian
|
Posted - 2009.04.09 17:34:00 -
[3]
Edited by: Khan Brian on 09/04/2009 17:33:43 I am the best:
http://img7.imageshack.us/my.php?image=20090402172547t.jpg
|

trelish
|
Posted - 2009.04.09 17:46:00 -
[4]
very nice to see someone do a bit of scambaiting in eve :)
www.419eater.com if you are looking for some more inspiration or a few laughs
|

LaVista Vista
Conservative Shenanigans Party
|
Posted - 2009.04.09 17:55:00 -
[5]
I have experienced quite the opposite.
I was sitting in Jita one day. I saw a person spamming local saying something along the now of "My wife is threatening to leave if if I don't quit EVE, and she will take the dog with her! Thus I'm giving away my ISK. Send me ISK and I'll double it". You know the drill.
I found the whole dog thing so funny that I send him like whatever I had in order to round off my wallet a bit better. I be damned if he didn't actually send the double back.
Still, I think he was a scammer. But that was an interesting experience at very least! 
|

SencneS
Amarr Rebellion Against Big Irreversible Dinks
|
Posted - 2009.04.09 17:57:00 -
[6]
I can't wait for CCP to remove Local from Jita... You know one day it'll happen. 80% of the Local Chatter is Scammers. While the only scam that got me was for 105mil it was a real contract and it wasn't because I fell for it. I saw the scam, saw what he was trying to do, but when I clicked reject I somehow clicked accept instead... No idea why brain fart or something. However 105mil is hardly worth whining about, props to the scammer that just happen to get one up on me the day I dyslexia was strong...
The following day I made 200mil profit in 5 minutes selling on the market over price mods. This has always lead me to believe the amount of time and effort required to scam HAS to be more consuming then just a simple market transaction..
It isn't laziness on their part, although they are getting lazy regurgitating the same trashy scams that stopped working 6 months ago. The effort required to use learn how to use the mechanics in order to scam has to be higher then just normal marketing.
They are clearly intelligent and good social manipulators, applying the same skills, time, effort, to general marketing can get you more and get it consistently. They often use the "This is easy money?" Is it? I don't think so not for the level of complexity you have to invent just to trick someone.
I've often thought about the amount of effort to the reward.. I make about 500mil a week with what I consider little effort. I spend maybe an hour a day setting up the orders, making some product, moving it to the market (2 Warps in my freighter, one there one back same system) Then I spend 2-3 hours a day running around, playing FW, exploring, doing stupid stuff with my friend, low sec greifing.
1/3 of my 3 hours a day gets me 500mil a week. Does a scammer get 500mil a week for literally 7 hours of dedication? Probably not...
Amarr for Life |

Dzil
Caldari Elamous Industries
|
Posted - 2009.04.09 21:15:00 -
[7]
Originally by: SencneS
1/3 of my 3 hours a day gets me 500mil a week. Does a scammer get 500mil a week for literally 7 hours of dedication? Probably not...
I have to imagine that people do this for the entertainment/grief factor, where the occasional large chunk of money is an added bonus. Kinda like low-sec gate "piracy".
|

Lt Angus
Caldari End Game. Dead End.
|
Posted - 2009.04.09 23:18:00 -
[8]
Originally by: LaVista Vista I have experienced quite the opposite.
I was sitting in Jita one day. I saw a person spamming local saying something along the now of "My wife is threatening to leave if if I don't quit EVE, and she will take the dog with her! Thus I'm giving away my ISK. Send me ISK and I'll double it". You know the drill.
I found the whole dog thing so funny that I send him like whatever I had in order to round off my wallet a bit better. I be damned if he didn't actually send the double back.
Still, I think he was a scammer. But that was an interesting experience at very least! 
they usually double up the first lot hopeing you will go all in next time  please resize your signature to the maximum allowed file size of 24000 bytes. Navigator Shhhh, Im hunting Badgers |

Dani SP
|
Posted - 2009.04.09 23:49:00 -
[9]
Morons who fall in these deserve to lose their isk.
A random guy wants to give out isk, nice, do it. Why the hecks we need to do a contract or whatever. **** send the isk or stfu.
I suggest add a posting fee on Jita and other HUBS local channels, like 2950isk per post. 90% of scams will be erased, not to talk about spambots.
|

Power Sauce
Kenzzoku
|
Posted - 2009.04.10 00:48:00 -
[10]
The best part of scamming in public channels is all the people who moan about it, and complain in an otherwise perfectly good thread.
It's like they're suggesting that CCP provide a block option.
|

g0ggalor
|
Posted - 2009.04.10 01:38:00 -
[11]
You know, Everybruce has contacted me a couple of times. I've gotten a couple million out of him by pretending to be wary of the contract. Of course I knew it was a scam, so I ask for some iskies so I can trust him.
The last time I had a decent conversation with him aftwerward. It seems the only people who really fall for it are the n00bs who buy characters and isk and don't know the ways of eve.
I wish him luck every time he passes though. Most of the people recognize him immediatly as a scammer. But if someone is stupid enough to fall for it, then they will learn there lesson and not repeat their mistake.
|
| |
|
| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |