| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

SubQuark
|
Posted - 2009.05.09 11:08:00 -
[1]
Top of the day to ya, Ive just created an alt and I am looking forward to do some trading with it and messing with the market in general. I started training for Charon but I read couple of threads in here in which people advice to get an Orca instead as it is better/cheaper choice. I am also part of a cooperation whic would welcome Orca amongs its people as well but the decision between 30,000+m^3 and 750,000+m^3 is a tough one. Could anyone lay it out for me and help me with my decision? I am still at the stage of getting learning skills so I still have a time to choose. Cheers.
|

Ryoko Yoshida
Amarr
|
Posted - 2009.05.09 13:47:00 -
[2]
I suggest you get the Orca if your corp would also be happy with it, and use it as a micro freighter, trading high value, medium volume goods to different hubs, if you are able to spot good deals.
Other than this, the only thing the Charon has the orca doesnt is the ability to relocate vast amounts of materials, which you seem to lack the funds for if you buy the Charon (hence the 'choice').
Good luck. -------------------- This is where my sig is meant to begin... |

Samroski
|
Posted - 2009.05.09 16:40:00 -
[3]
With higher level of freighter skill the Charon will give nearly 1 mil m3 cargo. The Orca also has a corp hanger 40k m3 (I believe) giving a total cargo about 1/10th cargo of the Charon. Orca also has a ship hanger in which you can carry fitted ships, and which may be a consideration for some.
A number of people are against freighters, as they feel that the 1 bil. investment may not give sufficient returns soon enough. I went through this dilemma (Charon vs. Orca) 3 months ago, and trained and bought the Charon. I love it, and cannot imagine how I lived without it. Personally I do not care whether I get returns in a month or 5 years. I love having the facility/ability to cart large amounts around. Invaluable for trade and industry.
For me the decision to go for the Charon first was certainly the right one, though I will certainly also get the Orca, as soon as I have the time to train the skills.
Also: I ran out of cargo space in the Charon twice earlier today! No amount of cargo is too much.
|

Bloody Rabbit
|
Posted - 2009.05.09 16:58:00 -
[4]
Only problem I have is that the Charon is too small, I need more room to move around the minerals. I wish I had a freighter that would hold over 1 million 
|

omgitssoloudguys
|
Posted - 2009.05.09 18:46:00 -
[5]
Why not just get a bustard, it can hold more than the orca and costs less.
Boosh.
|

Ronaldo Carrare
|
Posted - 2009.05.09 18:52:00 -
[6]
if you trade mods, rigs etc get an orca. Also bustard can't match orca.
|

Illectroculus Defined
|
Posted - 2009.05.09 20:53:00 -
[7]
30,000 m^3 base cargo on an orca doesn't include the 40,000m^3 corp hangar which can be used for hauling, or the 400,000 m^3 ship maintenance bay that can hold fitted ships. Cargo rigs are also pretty common on orcas and raise your total hauling ability to over 100,000m^3
|

Joshamee Gibbs
Gallente Dark-Rising
|
Posted - 2009.05.09 21:03:00 -
[8]
Also, if you use an orca, you can use a high ME ammunition BPO to fill the ship maintainance bay with industrials chock full of ammunition, to haul around minerals. I've not researched any further details on what industrial/precise ammunition type to use, but with the right BP it should be a cost-effective means of hauling.
|

Petyr Baelich
Taggart Transdimensional Virtue of Selfishness
|
Posted - 2009.05.09 21:06:00 -
[9]
Originally by: Joshamee Gibbs Also, if you use an orca, you can use a high ME ammunition BPO to fill the ship maintainance bay with industrials chock full of ammunition, to haul around minerals. I've not researched any further details on what industrial/precise ammunition type to use, but with the right BP it should be a cost-effective means of hauling.
Citadel Torps.
|

Kylar Renpurs
Dusk Blade
|
Posted - 2009.05.10 02:11:00 -
[10]
Originally by: omgitssoloudguys Why not just get a bustard, it can hold more than the orca and costs less. Boosh.
What? Even disregarding the 40km3 Corp Hangar for a moment, my orca cargohold sits at about 53km3. Most I've seen a bustard at is 40k...
|

Clair Bear
Perkone
|
Posted - 2009.05.11 18:57:00 -
[11]
Takes about 2 weeks to train an alt to fly a freighter (SC V, Industrial V). All the useless mining-related skills required for an orca (SC V, Barge V, Industry V, Mining foreman V) take about 4x that and are spread around all your stats, not just per/wil.
|

Kazzac Elentria
|
Posted - 2009.05.11 19:02:00 -
[12]
The orca has one key benefit that might make it better depending on what you haul.
The corporate hanger bay which cannot be scanned. |

Saehta
|
Posted - 2009.05.11 20:14:00 -
[13]
Edited by: Saehta on 11/05/2009 20:14:49
Originally by: Clair Bear Takes about 2 weeks to train an alt to fly a freighter (SC V, Industrial V). All the useless mining-related skills required for an orca (SC V, Barge V, Industry V, Mining foreman V) take about 4x that and are spread around all your stats, not just per/wil.
Useless mining skills! I take offense to that ma'am regardless of how much your pic makes me want to reroll my toon. On topic though I suppose a pure freighter might see this burdon but I find that many freighter pilots are or have been miners so the jump isnt too much for a (imo) better ship. Love the hangers
|

Tasko Pal
THE IRIS
|
Posted - 2009.05.12 04:59:00 -
[14]
Originally by: Kazzac Elentria The orca has one key benefit that might make it better depending on what you haul.
The corporate hanger bay which cannot be scanned.
Is it still the case that items in the corp hangar don't drop when the Orca is popped?
|

Kazzac Elentria
|
Posted - 2009.05.12 12:16:00 -
[15]
Originally by: Tasko Pal
Originally by: Kazzac Elentria The orca has one key benefit that might make it better depending on what you haul.
The corporate hanger bay which cannot be scanned.
Is it still the case that items in the corp hangar don't drop when the Orca is popped?
Yep, everything vanishes into thin air.
Not sure if they fixed the issue of it not represented on the kill mail last i checked on the test server though. |
| |
|
| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |