| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Umyar
|
Posted - 2009.05.27 15:26:00 -
[1]
Dumb question.
Omnis increase a drones tracking and max range. For reference I run a sentry domi.
Does this mean the falloff is increased with the multiplier, or the optimal, or both?
Am a bit lost as to why I use 3 of them y'see.
|

Halle 9000
|
Posted - 2009.05.27 15:38:00 -
[2]
AFAIK, just the optimal and tracking. Falloff is constant (?)... |

Umyar
|
Posted - 2009.05.27 15:41:00 -
[3]
So (and please, forgive my stupidity here, I am just maximum carebear and currently fit 3 omnis, because I was told by the powers that be, that I should and it would make be better) why do I fit 3 of them?
If it increases my optimal surely my drones then start to struggle earlier than without - as things get inside their optimal sooner?
|

Mog Carns
Southern Crossfire Cartel Syndicate
|
Posted - 2009.05.27 15:45:00 -
[4]
Edited by: Mog Carns on 27/05/2009 15:47:10 Warden II Range 60km Falloff 30km
After skills (not maxed) range 72km falloff 30km
with 5 Omnis range 180km falloff 30km
Thus, affects Range, not falloff.
5 omnis also increases tracking from 0.012 to ~0.03
Your friends tell you to fit omnis for the tracking bonus with sentries.
|

Umyar
|
Posted - 2009.05.27 15:49:00 -
[5]
Okay, so it means that anything within 180 starts to bleed into my optimal? Assuming something is 80km from me the drone can no longer track properly? Or does the tracking modifier just mean it can track better within this new optimal? I'm sorry, I'm not normally this dense.
|

Halle 9000
|
Posted - 2009.05.27 15:49:00 -
[6]
Edited by: Halle 9000 on 27/05/2009 15:56:05 Edited by: Halle 9000 on 27/05/2009 15:54:30 ^ beat me to it.... :)
EDIT: at twice the falloff (30km x2) you can't hit a barn door in either direction (up or down), so at 180km optimal, 210km has half (?) hit chance, 240km forget it... I would say it is a trade off between how much extra tracking you want and how much extra range... I wouldn't fit more than 3 personally, saying that I never use more than one as that usually sufficient for most situations...
That's off top of head so forgive me if chances are wrong... |

bubbly bird
|
Posted - 2009.05.27 15:51:00 -
[7]
Originally by: Umyar So (and please, forgive my stupidity here, I am just maximum carebear and currently fit 3 omnis, because I was told by the powers that be, that I should and it would make be better) why do I fit 3 of them?
If it increases my optimal surely my drones then start to struggle earlier than without - as things get inside their optimal sooner?

Optimal is the MAX range a weapon system has the ability to hit for its max dps, so if you have a optimal of 50km your weapons will hit a stationary target for their max dps from 0km-50km (less ithe targets resists).
You do not get a reduction of DPS (due to range) for being closer to a target than your max optimal you only get a reduction (due to range) if the ship is outside you max optimal.
Obviously a fast orbiting target may reduce incoming DPS because of transversal but a 50km optimal does not mean you only do max dmg at EXACTLY 50km it means from 0km-50km your weapons will will get no dmg reduction due to range.
|

Umyar
|
Posted - 2009.05.27 15:54:00 -
[8]
Oh, duh. Thanks for all the replies. I get it now.
Not only will tracking bonus mean they are much more effective at close range, but they deal max damage at a further range too.
I geddit I geddit.
I have seen the light, and the light is the EVEO forums. Thanks guys!
|

Mog Carns
Southern Crossfire Cartel Syndicate
|
Posted - 2009.05.27 15:54:00 -
[9]
All turrets in EVE have an "optimal range" - within this range, the gun theoretically has a 100% probability of scoring a hit, though this is inevitably altered by other factors. Turrets then have a falloff range - between the optimal range and the falloff range, turrets have a respectable (though decreasing) chance of hitting, at optimal plus falloff range they have a 50% chance of hitting, and beyond the falloff range, the chance of scoring a hit dwindle to 0% at about optimal plus two times the falloff range.
Turrets also have a targeting radius, which reflects the size of target they are best at hitting. A Battleship's large turrets are designed to hit large, slow-moving ships like battleships and capital ships, and tend to suffer against smaller cruisers and frigates. On the other hand, the small and medium-sized turrets employed by frigates and cruisers have little difficulty striking the battleship, though their lesser potential for damage makes it more difficult for them to have significant impact. See above section for more details.
Finally, turrets have a tracking speed, measured in radians per second, which reflects how fast they can track a moving target. A target with a high transversal velocity (such as an interceptor orbiting at close range) can be very difficult for a turret with a slow tracking speed to target effectively.
EVE players are tasked with discovering where the best balance between falloff and tracking lie in order to improve their chances of hitting - at closer ranges, the base chance of hitting is improved, but the relative velocities involved are higher.
Copied from http://strategywiki.org/wiki/EVE_Online/Weapons
|

bubbly bird
|
Posted - 2009.05.27 16:00:00 -
[10]
Originally by: Umyar Okay, so it means that anything within 180 starts to bleed into my optimal?.
Yes and no, as i explained a optimal of 180km is actually 0-180km if it is written correctly.
Originally by: Umyar Assuming something is 80km from me the drone can no longer track properly?
If your turret/drone has 0.03 tracking and 180km range and the target is at 80km you will hit it the same as if your turret/drone had 0.03 tracking and 80km optimal.
Originally by: Umyar Or does the tracking modifier just mean it can track better within this new optimal?
As i said above, having a longer optimal will not effect how you track a ship at a closer range IE:-
If your turret/drone has 0.03 tracking and 180km range and the target is at 80km you will hit it the same as if your turret/drone had 0.03 tracking and 80km optimal. But obviously the 180km optimal turret will do its max dmg out to 180km while the 80km turret will be into falloff and get a dmg reduction if the target moves past 80km.
Also the 180km turret will track uber well at 180km due to how longer range reduces the transversal effect of the target ship.
|

Daishi Kurita
Illicit Technologies
|
Posted - 2009.05.27 16:44:00 -
[11]
Lets put it this way....
I have 2 Omni's on my Ishtar setup and use Wardens vs. Gurista Rats.
The wardens can still hit and kill things only 3km away from my ship... with ease.
I don't think falloff hurts you if its INSIDE the optimal. Well, not nearly as much anyways.
|

Letifer Deus
Balls Deep Inc.
|
Posted - 2009.05.28 14:35:00 -
[12]
Edited by: Letifer Deus on 28/05/2009 14:39:33
The real question in this thread should be: why are there no T2 omni links/link augmentors/nav computers? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Brought to you by the letter ARRR!" |

Umyar
|
Posted - 2009.05.28 14:39:00 -
[13]
Because CCP hate drones and all who use them. Duh.
|

Gavin DeVries
|
Posted - 2009.05.28 14:42:00 -
[14]
An optimal range of 180 km will do you no good if the ship can't lock onto a target beyond 90 km. There's not much point in having an optimal range way beyond your ship's targeting range. ______________________________________________________ Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you? |

Ezekiel Sulastin
Gallente Shiva Morsus Mihi
|
Posted - 2009.05.28 15:17:00 -
[15]
Originally by: Daishi Kurita Lets put it this way....
I have 2 Omni's on my Ishtar setup and use Wardens vs. Gurista Rats.
The wardens can still hit and kill things only 3km away from my ship... with ease.
I don't think falloff hurts you if its INSIDE the optimal. Well, not nearly as much anyways.
If you're using Wardens over Gardes at closer than 40 km with two tracking links (maybe 50 if you trust falloff) you're doing it wrong. ----
|

Contralto
GCHQ
|
Posted - 2009.05.28 20:10:00 -
[16]
Originally by: Gavin DeVries An optimal range of 180 km will do you no good if the ship can't lock onto a target beyond 90 km. There's not much point in having an optimal range way beyond your ship's targeting range.
Or beyond your drone control range :)
Corporation standings transfer service for Hisec Pos, 9.99 to Gallente, 9.64 to Minmatar
|
| |
|
| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |