| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Marne'us Calgar
|
Posted - 2004.09.18 23:18:00 -
[1]
Edited by: Marne'us Calgar on 18/09/2004 23:31:24 After much research and deliberation. Seeking and finding, seeking and finding. (I do appreaciate the help and feed back you all have given by the way.)
I have decided on a couple of arrangements, but I might be at a cross roads here...maybe not .
Maybe I just have to figure it out on my own , or just keep being a good student and listen.
HIGH
125mm Gatling AC 2 (armed w/ Tit. Sabot)
125mm Gatling AC 2 (armed w/ Tit. Sabot)
Rocket Launcher (armed w/ EMP and/or Explosive)
Cloaking Device
MEDIUM
1mn MWD 2 or 1mn Afterburner (I honestly don't know the difference or advantages/weakness of one or the other, I was simply told either is a must have...for combat, but I want to be a smuggler. Not a fighter. I will fight if I have to, but would prefer not to. Can someone explain?)
Empty
LOW
Power Diagnostic System 2
Empty
As you can see I have a couple empty slots to fill. I am trying to go for a fast, stealthy, smuggling/blockade running ship.
Any other advice? Am I missing something?
Thanks!
|

Marne'us Calgar
|
Posted - 2004.09.18 23:18:00 -
[2]
Edited by: Marne'us Calgar on 18/09/2004 23:31:24 After much research and deliberation. Seeking and finding, seeking and finding. (I do appreaciate the help and feed back you all have given by the way.)
I have decided on a couple of arrangements, but I might be at a cross roads here...maybe not .
Maybe I just have to figure it out on my own , or just keep being a good student and listen.
HIGH
125mm Gatling AC 2 (armed w/ Tit. Sabot)
125mm Gatling AC 2 (armed w/ Tit. Sabot)
Rocket Launcher (armed w/ EMP and/or Explosive)
Cloaking Device
MEDIUM
1mn MWD 2 or 1mn Afterburner (I honestly don't know the difference or advantages/weakness of one or the other, I was simply told either is a must have...for combat, but I want to be a smuggler. Not a fighter. I will fight if I have to, but would prefer not to. Can someone explain?)
Empty
LOW
Power Diagnostic System 2
Empty
As you can see I have a couple empty slots to fill. I am trying to go for a fast, stealthy, smuggling/blockade running ship.
Any other advice? Am I missing something?
Thanks!
|

Jogyn
|
Posted - 2004.09.19 00:08:00 -
[3]
PvP or PvE?
"Tere is no spoone" -The Matricks |

Jogyn
|
Posted - 2004.09.19 00:08:00 -
[4]
PvP or PvE?
"Tere is no spoone" -The Matricks |

Istvaan Shogaatsu
|
Posted - 2004.09.19 00:22:00 -
[5]
I think he wanted it to be a smuggling ship. I'd go with a Cheetah.
|

Istvaan Shogaatsu
|
Posted - 2004.09.19 00:22:00 -
[6]
I think he wanted it to be a smuggling ship. I'd go with a Cheetah.
|

Griskin Thor
|
Posted - 2004.09.19 00:26:00 -
[7]
I'm not a loadout expert, being mostly a non-combatant myself, but I've garnered a few things looking at stats and reading the forums:
Unless you've already got the skills, tech 2 turrets aren't worth it currently. You're better off spending the money on good named guns. As soon as the ammo is readily available they'll rock tech 1s world, though.
AB vs. MWD: ABs boost your speed from 25-45% (IIRC) depending on the AB you use. MWDs boost your speed to 500%. Problem is MWDs reduce your cap and shields by 25% when fitted and increase your signature radius to nearly that of a cruiser, making you much easier to target and hit with large guns.
As for smuggling setups.. if you're going PvE, you're not going to get a lead on good setups until contraband is in and there's actually something to smuggle and someone to hide it from. PvP smuggling I'll leave to other posters more familiar with fighting it out in alliance space.
Griskin Thor Chief Operations Officer >Lightwave Enterprises<
- "Oh yeah? Well, back in my day we had to mine omber with our teeth! And walk back to the station to sell it. Up the gravity well. Both ways!" |

Griskin Thor
|
Posted - 2004.09.19 00:26:00 -
[8]
I'm not a loadout expert, being mostly a non-combatant myself, but I've garnered a few things looking at stats and reading the forums:
Unless you've already got the skills, tech 2 turrets aren't worth it currently. You're better off spending the money on good named guns. As soon as the ammo is readily available they'll rock tech 1s world, though.
AB vs. MWD: ABs boost your speed from 25-45% (IIRC) depending on the AB you use. MWDs boost your speed to 500%. Problem is MWDs reduce your cap and shields by 25% when fitted and increase your signature radius to nearly that of a cruiser, making you much easier to target and hit with large guns.
As for smuggling setups.. if you're going PvE, you're not going to get a lead on good setups until contraband is in and there's actually something to smuggle and someone to hide it from. PvP smuggling I'll leave to other posters more familiar with fighting it out in alliance space.
Griskin Thor Chief Operations Officer >Lightwave Enterprises<
- "Oh yeah? Well, back in my day we had to mine omber with our teeth! And walk back to the station to sell it. Up the gravity well. Both ways!" |

Zev xev
|
Posted - 2004.09.19 01:47:00 -
[9]
If all your doing is blockade running i would just fit 2 mwds or a 10mn ab + 1mn ab so you can run past the pirates fast. The 2 mwds will let you get to the gate good and fast even if you get webed you should still go very fast  If you use the 2 Afterburners you will go faster than 1 mwd and be harder to lock and hit by any battle ship that may be at the gate and yes thay can lock and hit you in the time it takes to get to the gate  And when thay talk about afterburners or mwds thay mean over sized afterburners like a 10mn one on a frigate 
|

Zev xev
|
Posted - 2004.09.19 01:47:00 -
[10]
If all your doing is blockade running i would just fit 2 mwds or a 10mn ab + 1mn ab so you can run past the pirates fast. The 2 mwds will let you get to the gate good and fast even if you get webed you should still go very fast  If you use the 2 Afterburners you will go faster than 1 mwd and be harder to lock and hit by any battle ship that may be at the gate and yes thay can lock and hit you in the time it takes to get to the gate  And when thay talk about afterburners or mwds thay mean over sized afterburners like a 10mn one on a frigate 
|

Claire Scott
|
Posted - 2004.09.19 03:10:00 -
[11]
Edited by: Claire Scott on 19/09/2004 03:19:33 Edited by: Claire Scott on 19/09/2004 03:13:40
Here's what I've found to be best. I have two set-ups, a running one and a mission one. When one set-up is loaded the other is in the cargo hold wherever I go.
Running:
High: Nothing (Well, weapons are there but they're offline). Medium: 1MN Afterburner I, 10MN Afterburner I Low: 2x Reactor Control Unit I
Missions:
High: 2x 200mm Autocannon I, 2x Standard Missile Launcher I Medium: Small Capacitor Battery I, Magnetic Scattering Amplifier I Low: Small Armor Repairer I, 200mm Reinforced Steel Plates I
Those are pretty much the only set-ups I ever need though I do keep some cargo expanders with me just in case and a cargo scanner for when I get bored. It doesn't take a lot of skills to fit all this and the combat strategy is simple. Armor tank and orbit close. Missile's used can vary but usually 1 is loaded with EM and the other to a damage type that works best against whoever I'm fighting.
If I ever need to do some PvP I figure all I would need to switch out is the Magnetic Scattering Amplifier I for a Webifier to lock them down and stay in under thier weapon range. Not having Afterburners helps me not to swing out as far when I orbit a cruiser so I can stay under his guns. Unless the cruiser mounted some frigate weapons.
I'm still vulnerable to certain things but no set-in in a Rifter is going to let you do everything you want so you need to specialize. It's also important to have friends and to let them know how your ship is designed to fight so they'll have an idea of how best to work with you and your set-up.
Tow more Rifters set up exactly like this yet one with a Warp Scrambler and one with a Target Disruptor would be a dangerous opponent against most Cruiser Pilots.
The 1MN/10MN combo takes my Rifter up to speeds of over 2,000 m/s and be able to actually maintain it for a good amount or time. On long trips I hit the gates faster than battleships and some cruisers can lock onto me. I can be caught, it just hasn't happen yet.
At least that's the idea I've been testing out lately.
I'm still deciding on the Jaguar and the Wolf. The Wolf is more of a ddamage dealer while with the Jag I'd be able to plug some holes in my current set-up. Maybe a Webifier and a Tracking Disruptor. And an extra low for a damage mod. I can't wait to get one.
Anyone care to donate to my scientific Research?
-E
If you're not running with the pack, you're prey . . . |

Claire Scott
|
Posted - 2004.09.19 03:10:00 -
[12]
Edited by: Claire Scott on 19/09/2004 03:19:33 Edited by: Claire Scott on 19/09/2004 03:13:40
Here's what I've found to be best. I have two set-ups, a running one and a mission one. When one set-up is loaded the other is in the cargo hold wherever I go.
Running:
High: Nothing (Well, weapons are there but they're offline). Medium: 1MN Afterburner I, 10MN Afterburner I Low: 2x Reactor Control Unit I
Missions:
High: 2x 200mm Autocannon I, 2x Standard Missile Launcher I Medium: Small Capacitor Battery I, Magnetic Scattering Amplifier I Low: Small Armor Repairer I, 200mm Reinforced Steel Plates I
Those are pretty much the only set-ups I ever need though I do keep some cargo expanders with me just in case and a cargo scanner for when I get bored. It doesn't take a lot of skills to fit all this and the combat strategy is simple. Armor tank and orbit close. Missile's used can vary but usually 1 is loaded with EM and the other to a damage type that works best against whoever I'm fighting.
If I ever need to do some PvP I figure all I would need to switch out is the Magnetic Scattering Amplifier I for a Webifier to lock them down and stay in under thier weapon range. Not having Afterburners helps me not to swing out as far when I orbit a cruiser so I can stay under his guns. Unless the cruiser mounted some frigate weapons.
I'm still vulnerable to certain things but no set-in in a Rifter is going to let you do everything you want so you need to specialize. It's also important to have friends and to let them know how your ship is designed to fight so they'll have an idea of how best to work with you and your set-up.
Tow more Rifters set up exactly like this yet one with a Warp Scrambler and one with a Target Disruptor would be a dangerous opponent against most Cruiser Pilots.
The 1MN/10MN combo takes my Rifter up to speeds of over 2,000 m/s and be able to actually maintain it for a good amount or time. On long trips I hit the gates faster than battleships and some cruisers can lock onto me. I can be caught, it just hasn't happen yet.
At least that's the idea I've been testing out lately.
I'm still deciding on the Jaguar and the Wolf. The Wolf is more of a ddamage dealer while with the Jag I'd be able to plug some holes in my current set-up. Maybe a Webifier and a Tracking Disruptor. And an extra low for a damage mod. I can't wait to get one.
Anyone care to donate to my scientific Research?
-E
If you're not running with the pack, you're prey . . . |

Marne'us Calgar
|
Posted - 2004.09.19 03:18:00 -
[13]
Well, I guess I want to do more PvP stuff.
See my goal was to become a freelancer, my skills to the highest bidder sort of thing. I transport this for you through your enemies territory you pay me half now...half when I drop the package off. That sort of thing.
So, as you see, combat maybe necessary, but I almost want to play as a sci-fi 'ninja-smuggler' for PC Corps and things of that nature.
I need weapons. I need speed. I need stealth. I need the ability to get the transporting done under any circumstance.
I guess this is more for a RP experience than anything else, but what the heck. It'll make the game fun.
|

Marne'us Calgar
|
Posted - 2004.09.19 03:18:00 -
[14]
Well, I guess I want to do more PvP stuff.
See my goal was to become a freelancer, my skills to the highest bidder sort of thing. I transport this for you through your enemies territory you pay me half now...half when I drop the package off. That sort of thing.
So, as you see, combat maybe necessary, but I almost want to play as a sci-fi 'ninja-smuggler' for PC Corps and things of that nature.
I need weapons. I need speed. I need stealth. I need the ability to get the transporting done under any circumstance.
I guess this is more for a RP experience than anything else, but what the heck. It'll make the game fun.
|

Claire Scott
|
Posted - 2004.09.19 03:50:00 -
[15]
Originally by: Marne'us Calgar I need weapons. I need speed. I need stealth. I need the ability to get the transporting done under any circumstance.
Problem is you can't do all that at once in a Frigate. Just go for the speed. 2 RCU's, 1x1MN, 1x10MN. You'll avoid 90% or more of all engagements.
-E
If you're not running with the pack, you're prey . . . |

Claire Scott
|
Posted - 2004.09.19 03:50:00 -
[16]
Originally by: Marne'us Calgar I need weapons. I need speed. I need stealth. I need the ability to get the transporting done under any circumstance.
Problem is you can't do all that at once in a Frigate. Just go for the speed. 2 RCU's, 1x1MN, 1x10MN. You'll avoid 90% or more of all engagements.
-E
If you're not running with the pack, you're prey . . . |

Marne'us Calgar
|
Posted - 2004.09.19 03:56:00 -
[17]
What is an RCU?
|

Marne'us Calgar
|
Posted - 2004.09.19 03:56:00 -
[18]
What is an RCU?
|

Claire Scott
|
Posted - 2004.09.19 04:05:00 -
[19]
Reactor Control Unit.
-E
If you're not running with the pack, you're prey . . . |

Claire Scott
|
Posted - 2004.09.19 04:05:00 -
[20]
Reactor Control Unit.
-E
If you're not running with the pack, you're prey . . . |

Marne'us Calgar
|
Posted - 2004.09.19 09:30:00 -
[21]
Okay, So since I want to be stealthy I will avoid the MWD and go with a 10mn Afterburner.
What is a good sollution to jamming people from locking on to me?
|

Marne'us Calgar
|
Posted - 2004.09.19 09:30:00 -
[22]
Okay, So since I want to be stealthy I will avoid the MWD and go with a 10mn Afterburner.
What is a good sollution to jamming people from locking on to me?
|

Bror Jace
|
Posted - 2004.09.19 10:02:00 -
[23]
Edited by: Bror Jace on 19/09/2004 10:04:52 As you will only have one midslot left after fitting the AB, there is no way that you can fit enough jamming gear to sucessfully jam anyone trying to lock you unless they are in a tier 1/2 frigate (which is unlikely...). I would maybe try an ECM burst, as you might get lucky and break the lock of a tackler frigate before they can web and scramble you. Or just put in another speedboost module  If you want a blockade runner that can also do limited ECM, try a vigil, 3 mids and 3 lows means that you can get a lot more pg/evasive/defensive boosting modules than on than the rifter. /edit for poor grammer
|

Bror Jace
|
Posted - 2004.09.19 10:02:00 -
[24]
Edited by: Bror Jace on 19/09/2004 10:04:52 As you will only have one midslot left after fitting the AB, there is no way that you can fit enough jamming gear to sucessfully jam anyone trying to lock you unless they are in a tier 1/2 frigate (which is unlikely...). I would maybe try an ECM burst, as you might get lucky and break the lock of a tackler frigate before they can web and scramble you. Or just put in another speedboost module  If you want a blockade runner that can also do limited ECM, try a vigil, 3 mids and 3 lows means that you can get a lot more pg/evasive/defensive boosting modules than on than the rifter. /edit for poor grammer
|

Funkee MunKee
|
Posted - 2004.10.02 13:18:00 -
[25]
If you can get the skills up just use a twin MWD setup you dont have to be stealthy with that speed. Nothing has ever locked me down even gate campers. You fly right through em, if you spend time and create instawarps you are literally untouchable. But if you really want stealth then the Cheeta is the way to go. At 18mill plus 80mill typeII cloaking device its a big investment, but stealth you will have, the question you need to ask is.... will the return on investment be worth it? Given Cargo space you will be limited to what you can carry.
|

Funkee MunKee
|
Posted - 2004.10.02 13:18:00 -
[26]
If you can get the skills up just use a twin MWD setup you dont have to be stealthy with that speed. Nothing has ever locked me down even gate campers. You fly right through em, if you spend time and create instawarps you are literally untouchable. But if you really want stealth then the Cheeta is the way to go. At 18mill plus 80mill typeII cloaking device its a big investment, but stealth you will have, the question you need to ask is.... will the return on investment be worth it? Given Cargo space you will be limited to what you can carry.
|
| |
|
| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |