| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Joshua Calvert
|
Posted - 2004.09.28 18:54:00 -
[1]
We've all come to realise that the forums are v. slow when there are lots of people logged into the game.
My question is this:
Is the game performance affected by forum activity? I know there's some connection between the game database and the forum database (avatar's, corp. info, etc etc) because that's the excuse that has beeb bandied around for difficulty creating a proper search function.
Perhaps it is time to seperate the Forum/Eve Insider from the games servers/database or, at the very least, minimize the crossover.
LEEEEERRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! |

Joshua Calvert
|
Posted - 2004.09.28 18:54:00 -
[2]
We've all come to realise that the forums are v. slow when there are lots of people logged into the game.
My question is this:
Is the game performance affected by forum activity? I know there's some connection between the game database and the forum database (avatar's, corp. info, etc etc) because that's the excuse that has beeb bandied around for difficulty creating a proper search function.
Perhaps it is time to seperate the Forum/Eve Insider from the games servers/database or, at the very least, minimize the crossover.
LEEEEERRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! |

Atez
|
Posted - 2004.09.28 18:58:00 -
[3]
Agreed. Gets a bit tiresome when the forum crawls etc.
|

Atez
|
Posted - 2004.09.28 18:58:00 -
[4]
Agreed. Gets a bit tiresome when the forum crawls etc.
|

agrizla
|
Posted - 2004.09.28 19:08:00 -
[5]
Some of us have been saying this for over a year Josh Nothing happens and I don't see that changing 
To be quite honest I don't think Shiva matters now - I think it'll be the catalyst but not the cause if you see what I mean. Like me you must know lots of people who have seriously just had it with the lag and instability but are hanging on for Shiva "just to see". Shiva isn't going to fix the cluster. It's patently obvious the cluster can't cope and hasn't been coping since the much vaunted hardware "upgrade". Oveur can say what he likes about server load but to be quite frank we all know it's rubbish when it comes to the user experience.
It's awful. It needs fixed. I don't think they have a clue how to do that. Sad but true 
|

agrizla
|
Posted - 2004.09.28 19:08:00 -
[6]
Some of us have been saying this for over a year Josh Nothing happens and I don't see that changing 
To be quite honest I don't think Shiva matters now - I think it'll be the catalyst but not the cause if you see what I mean. Like me you must know lots of people who have seriously just had it with the lag and instability but are hanging on for Shiva "just to see". Shiva isn't going to fix the cluster. It's patently obvious the cluster can't cope and hasn't been coping since the much vaunted hardware "upgrade". Oveur can say what he likes about server load but to be quite frank we all know it's rubbish when it comes to the user experience.
It's awful. It needs fixed. I don't think they have a clue how to do that. Sad but true 
|

The Sloth
|
Posted - 2004.09.28 19:12:00 -
[7]
Agreed.
It is a sad state of affairs when I have to resort to using the forums belonging to Fan Sites of the game to get my forum fix, as these forums load faster than the forums of the game itself.
The Sloth.
|

The Sloth
|
Posted - 2004.09.28 19:12:00 -
[8]
Agreed.
It is a sad state of affairs when I have to resort to using the forums belonging to Fan Sites of the game to get my forum fix, as these forums load faster than the forums of the game itself.
The Sloth.
|

Joshua Calvert
|
Posted - 2004.09.28 19:15:00 -
[9]
agrizla,
I'm in exactly that situation; I'm hanging on to see what Shiva brings but I'm not giving much hope for network performance.
Shiva might be the shiny new thing but if the server can't cope, the shine will soon wear off.
LEEEEERRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! |

Joshua Calvert
|
Posted - 2004.09.28 19:15:00 -
[10]
agrizla,
I'm in exactly that situation; I'm hanging on to see what Shiva brings but I'm not giving much hope for network performance.
Shiva might be the shiny new thing but if the server can't cope, the shine will soon wear off.
LEEEEERRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! |

Joshua Calvert
|
Posted - 2004.09.28 20:28:00 -
[11]
Character Sheet function has been disabled and now the forum is moving along a fair bit faster than usual.
LEEEEERRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! |

Joshua Calvert
|
Posted - 2004.09.28 20:28:00 -
[12]
Character Sheet function has been disabled and now the forum is moving along a fair bit faster than usual.
LEEEEERRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! |

Nalias
|
Posted - 2004.09.28 20:38:00 -
[13]
I've run 1,200 active users on a phpBB forum off of Linux, a K6/2 333mHz and a residential DSL connection much faster and more stably than these forums.
That says what?
|

Nalias
|
Posted - 2004.09.28 20:38:00 -
[14]
I've run 1,200 active users on a phpBB forum off of Linux, a K6/2 333mHz and a residential DSL connection much faster and more stably than these forums.
That says what?
|

Joshua Calvert
|
Posted - 2004.09.28 20:50:00 -
[15]
Originally by: Nalias I've run 1,200 active users on a phpBB forum off of Linux, a K6/2 333mHz and a residential DSL connection much faster and more stably than these forums.
That says what?
Yeah, I wouldn't care if they used phpBB.
I'm not a technical geek-type person but I'm sure if no. of players ingame affects the forum, the number of users using forum must affect the game server in a detrimental way.
LEEEEERRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! |

Joshua Calvert
|
Posted - 2004.09.28 20:50:00 -
[16]
Originally by: Nalias I've run 1,200 active users on a phpBB forum off of Linux, a K6/2 333mHz and a residential DSL connection much faster and more stably than these forums.
That says what?
Yeah, I wouldn't care if they used phpBB.
I'm not a technical geek-type person but I'm sure if no. of players ingame affects the forum, the number of users using forum must affect the game server in a detrimental way.
LEEEEERRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! |

Excavation Svcs
|
Posted - 2004.09.28 21:13:00 -
[17]
Remove signature pictures, remove Avatars, remove signatures, remove the incessant censorship, bring in the search function.
Sensible policies for a happier forum.
|

Excavation Svcs
|
Posted - 2004.09.28 21:13:00 -
[18]
Remove signature pictures, remove Avatars, remove signatures, remove the incessant censorship, bring in the search function.
Sensible policies for a happier forum.
|
| |
|
| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |