| Pages: 1 :: [one page] |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Thera Aiestor
|
Posted - 2004.12.16 07:37:00 -
[1]
Having just finished the tutorial missions, I decided to contact the agent as suggested from the tutorial. Taking the first mission I discovered this mission involved a pickup that was 57 jumps away, to be delivered to a destination that was 'unreachable'.
Seemed a little tricky for a first mission but I decided to attempt it. It took 2 hours on autopilot to reach the pickup, which made it a little tricky to meet the bonus condition of completion within an hour. However, I eventually got there and picked up the cargo.
Since the destination was 'unreachable' I decided to jump back to my home station (strangely it only took 54 jumps on the return journey) - around another 2 hours.
Once I got back I discovered that this 'unreachable' system was, in fact, only 2 jumps away - so I was able to determine a path manually and actually deliver the cargo within the time allocated.
Needless to say this seemed a lot of work for 15,000isk and my first non-tutorial mission.
Being a newcomer to eve I am wondering:
1. Are the beginner missions (or the mapping system) buggy and did something go horribly wrong?
2. Are the missions always like this and mining is a much more effective way of making money (I can make about 10,000 in the rookie ship without even leaving the system)?
3. Am I lacking the relevant skills / equipment to do these missions properly? i.e. Do I need a better ship / skills so that I can travel these distances in less jumps - after all, 2 hours on autopilot to reach a destination is not much fun...
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,
T.
|

Thera Aiestor
|
Posted - 2004.12.16 07:37:00 -
[2]
Having just finished the tutorial missions, I decided to contact the agent as suggested from the tutorial. Taking the first mission I discovered this mission involved a pickup that was 57 jumps away, to be delivered to a destination that was 'unreachable'.
Seemed a little tricky for a first mission but I decided to attempt it. It took 2 hours on autopilot to reach the pickup, which made it a little tricky to meet the bonus condition of completion within an hour. However, I eventually got there and picked up the cargo.
Since the destination was 'unreachable' I decided to jump back to my home station (strangely it only took 54 jumps on the return journey) - around another 2 hours.
Once I got back I discovered that this 'unreachable' system was, in fact, only 2 jumps away - so I was able to determine a path manually and actually deliver the cargo within the time allocated.
Needless to say this seemed a lot of work for 15,000isk and my first non-tutorial mission.
Being a newcomer to eve I am wondering:
1. Are the beginner missions (or the mapping system) buggy and did something go horribly wrong?
2. Are the missions always like this and mining is a much more effective way of making money (I can make about 10,000 in the rookie ship without even leaving the system)?
3. Am I lacking the relevant skills / equipment to do these missions properly? i.e. Do I need a better ship / skills so that I can travel these distances in less jumps - after all, 2 hours on autopilot to reach a destination is not much fun...
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,
T.
|

Thorin Bladeflash
|
Posted - 2004.12.16 08:36:00 -
[3]
open the map screen and check your autopilot settings. Your autopilot can be set to avoid low security space and space where podkills have occured. Avoiding low security is not a bad thing but avoiding pod kill areas can lead to problems. A lot of pod kills can happen in SAFE space when player corps are at war. As a result your autopilot will try to avoid these areas which can result in places being unreachable or very far away. The other reason could be the mission was just simply bugged.
|

Thorin Bladeflash
|
Posted - 2004.12.16 08:36:00 -
[4]
open the map screen and check your autopilot settings. Your autopilot can be set to avoid low security space and space where podkills have occured. Avoiding low security is not a bad thing but avoiding pod kill areas can lead to problems. A lot of pod kills can happen in SAFE space when player corps are at war. As a result your autopilot will try to avoid these areas which can result in places being unreachable or very far away. The other reason could be the mission was just simply bugged.
|

Mesiree
|
Posted - 2004.12.16 08:42:00 -
[5]
Hi Ms. Aiestor,
Sounds a bit like a bug. I've been working my way up to lvl3 agents, and have never experienced anything like that.
1. Must have been a buggy mission. 2. In my opinion mining is a better way of making money. But agents hand out some pretty nifty equipment later on. 3. If you wanna do agent missions you should get skills like social, negotiation, diplomacy. Other than that you should be fine. A better ship might come in handy down the line. Especially when doing kill missions.
One thing you should check is that you, on the "starmap" under "autopilot settings" have chosen "pick shortest route".
Oh, and Thera. Should you have any questions concerning whatever, feel free to contact me or anyone else from KarWal Corp. We are a group of individual specialist co-operating. Feel free to stop by the chat-channel "KaWa".
------------------------------------------ Take care, Mesiree
"Life is like a chair being pulled away - just as you are about to sit" Wally Lamb http://www.karwal.dk/eve |

Mesiree
|
Posted - 2004.12.16 08:42:00 -
[6]
Hi Ms. Aiestor,
Sounds a bit like a bug. I've been working my way up to lvl3 agents, and have never experienced anything like that.
1. Must have been a buggy mission. 2. In my opinion mining is a better way of making money. But agents hand out some pretty nifty equipment later on. 3. If you wanna do agent missions you should get skills like social, negotiation, diplomacy. Other than that you should be fine. A better ship might come in handy down the line. Especially when doing kill missions.
One thing you should check is that you, on the "starmap" under "autopilot settings" have chosen "pick shortest route".
Oh, and Thera. Should you have any questions concerning whatever, feel free to contact me or anyone else from KarWal Corp. We are a group of individual specialist co-operating. Feel free to stop by the chat-channel "KaWa".
------------------------------------------ Take care, Mesiree
"Life is like a chair being pulled away - just as you are about to sit" Wally Lamb http://www.karwal.dk/eve |

Thera Aiestor
|
Posted - 2004.12.16 11:15:00 -
[7]
It looks like it may have been a glitch with my navigation system...
I had already tried tweaking the security space settings but hadn't thought to switch off the setting to avoid areas with pod kills - as soon as I tried that the 'unreachable' destinations appeared (and only a few jumps away).
Switching it back on didn't make things unreachable again so I'm wondering if it may have been some weird initialisation bug. Either way, now I know.
Thanks both for your advice,
T.
|

Thera Aiestor
|
Posted - 2004.12.16 11:15:00 -
[8]
It looks like it may have been a glitch with my navigation system...
I had already tried tweaking the security space settings but hadn't thought to switch off the setting to avoid areas with pod kills - as soon as I tried that the 'unreachable' destinations appeared (and only a few jumps away).
Switching it back on didn't make things unreachable again so I'm wondering if it may have been some weird initialisation bug. Either way, now I know.
Thanks both for your advice,
T.
|

Jalia Kovac
|
Posted - 2004.12.16 14:31:00 -
[9]
Hi Thera. Just reading over the patch notes recently and this seems to have been a known bug that should be fixed in the current update. Best of luck on your mission running! 
|

Jalia Kovac
|
Posted - 2004.12.16 14:31:00 -
[10]
Hi Thera. Just reading over the patch notes recently and this seems to have been a known bug that should be fixed in the current update. Best of luck on your mission running! 
|
| |
|
| Pages: 1 :: [one page] |