| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

OverKill
|
Posted - 2003.07.16 13:40:00 -
[1]
Anyone out there using the ATI 9800 Pro and EVE together?
I'm putting together a new system and am debating on whether to go with the NVIDIA FX (which I heard kinda sucks) or the ATI 9800 Pro (256mb version).
Regards, OK [email protected] - http://www.hadean.org
Chief Executive Officer - Hadean Drive Yards |

OverKill
|
Posted - 2003.07.16 15:09:00 -
[2]
Wow, after having read through this section at length I can see that ATI wasn't really taken into consideration when EVE was being coded.
Either that or the nVidia and ATI cards are so disimilar that you almost require an nVidia card to play.
Now I think I will order the graphics card on the new machine last and see what develops over the next little while.
Regards, OK [email protected] - http://www.hadean.org
Chief Executive Officer - Hadean Drive Yards |

Threads
|
Posted - 2003.07.16 16:28:00 -
[3]
The only FX's that I hear stink are the 5200 and 5600. They don't make the 5800 anymore and the 5900's are very expensive. I just picked up a 5900 (eVGA) and since eVGA posted new unreleased drivers (44.67), Eve works great, otherwise, any other driver for it will lock up the game.
Also, the 5900 is made up of different architecture than the 5200 and 5600. Read this review at Tom's Hardware:
http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030512/index.html
Also, since I upgraded my mobo (Intel 845), my ATI 9700 Pro works great with Eve. Catalyst 3.5 drivers. Otherwise, it would crash on mugshot-loading, etc.
Edited by: Threads on 16/07/2003 16:29:56
|

OverKill
|
Posted - 2003.07.16 21:22:00 -
[4]
So you are saying you have both cards and they are both working fine with no problems at all?
Im not sure if I will have to upgrade to another MB since I will be purchasing a brand new MB with AMD processor within the next month or so.
Yes, the 5900 Ultra would be the way I would want to go except for the damn price of the thing.
I also like the looks of the Hercules 9800 Pro and own a Hercules Prophet III right now which works with no problems.
If CCP could make some form of statement as to the compatibility issues that EVE may or may not have with ATI cards I would much appreciate the information.
Regards, OK
Edited by: OverKill on 16/07/2003 21:26:55 [email protected] - http://www.hadean.org
Chief Executive Officer - Hadean Drive Yards |

Sabercat
|
Posted - 2003.07.16 22:05:00 -
[5]
I'm using the 9700 pro with the latest drivers and haven't had one problem with Eve. Could be something else causing all the problems peeps are seeing. My 2 cents :)
|

Maggot
|
Posted - 2003.07.16 22:23:00 -
[6]
I am using a 9800 pro with Eve and have not had a single problem.
|

Threads
|
Posted - 2003.07.17 02:44:00 -
[7]
Overkill -
Yes, I have both cards but the ATI 9700 Pro would crash all of the time with my ABIT TH9II-Raid motherboard with RDRAM (Rambus) but I didn't know this until I swapped the ATI out into a newer system with an Intel 845 board. Then it worked perfectly (Catalyst 3.5 drivers).
So hardware setup *is* a big factor in Eve crashes, unfortunately. Meaning, troubleshooting is much more difficult.
But, my 5900 Ultra had the same problems as the ATI and I was pretty saddened by this. Luckily, eVGA made available new detonator drivers (44.67) which fixed all problems.
Hardware and drivers. Drivers and hardware. :(
|

OverKill
|
Posted - 2003.07.18 02:17:00 -
[8]
Excellent!
Well then I will take a risk and get the Hercules 9800 Pro and go from there.
They only make a 128mb version but the 256s from what I've seen only offer another 4-5 FPS for a bundle more of cash.
I'll look around for these catalyst 3.5's as well.
Regards, OK [email protected] - http://www.hadean.org
Chief Executive Officer - Hadean Drive Yards |

Silmaril
|
Posted - 2003.07.18 09:19:00 -
[9]
Just to warn you,I have an ATI 9800 pro 256Mb, and its beautiful, except for some problems with objects at a distance. I think its Z buffer problems. It can't decide which part of a structure is in front so you get the back and front sort of morphing through each other as you get closer.
Up close there's no problem, and it doesn't effect gameplay. Its just annoying.
If anyone knows how to fix it tho....
"Do not waste your tears. I was not born to watch the world grow dim. Life is not measured in years, but by the deeds of men." |

Stonyvision
|
Posted - 2003.07.18 14:13:00 -
[10]
I have 2 systems running eve. The one with the Radeon 9700 PRO runs smooth ... the one with the Geforce not. :)
The Z problem with the texture problem at distance occurs on both systems. It's not ATIs fault. It's bad coding of CCP and still not fixed. Go for the ATI or you will be sorry. If you can't afford the FX 5900 ULTRA that is. And i read a lot of bad things about it. It's fast yes, but it's a typical problem card like the old ATIs were.
Just for your information: I read all them ATI problem threads. It's all about people who can't handle their systems. 90% of them have either messed up their drivers (I recommend you use the latest omegas btw) or have stability issuse. These stability issues happen when you use incompatible hardware like canterwood and old revision 9700 PRO, or heat issues becaue thew systems are badly cooled.
Also be sure you need a quality 400 Watts power supply to be on the safe side.
|

OverKill
|
Posted - 2003.07.19 00:59:00 -
[11]
I don't think there will be fear of improper cooling...
I just picked this up on Wednesday.
http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=7227CASE&Category_Code=360
My next trick will be the card and an AMD processor with suitable 8x mb.
Any links to the latest drivers for ATI cards? I'll check those out as well so I can install properly the first time around.
Regards, OK [email protected] - http://www.hadean.org
Chief Executive Officer - Hadean Drive Yards |

Sealance
|
Posted - 2003.07.19 13:05:00 -
[12]
I'm using a Radeon 9000 Mobility on my laptop, and I have no problems at all (except when trying to use two screens).. my Geforce 3 ti200 in my stationary pc is the one causing all the problems.. -------------------------------------------- What shall we do with the podded sailor? What shall we do with the podded sailor? What shall we do with the podded sailor.. early in the mornin'. |

John Blackthrone
|
Posted - 2003.07.19 13:39:00 -
[13]
i got an older Raedon 8500 but EvE is running smooth and I dont got any prolems.... (Nvidia stinks...)
I also testet EvE on an FX5200 where it crashed all the time i want to start...
Edited by: John Blackthrone on 19/07/2003 13:39:10
Edited by: John Blackthrone on 19/07/2003 13:40:15
|

Morleidr
|
Posted - 2003.07.19 20:47:00 -
[14]
Overkill you're in Toronto too, eh?
Anyway -- that shimmering Z buffer texture thing occurs on both Nvidia and ATI, I have a laptop so I play using both. ......
|

OverKill
|
Posted - 2003.07.20 02:11:00 -
[15]
Morl,
I'm close... a little south actually, near Oakville area but I shop at Bigfoot since they seem to have decent pricing and some items that other stores don't carry.
Regards, OK
Edited by: OverKill on 20/07/2003 02:12:16 [email protected] - http://www.hadean.org
Chief Executive Officer - Hadean Drive Yards |
| |
|
| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |