| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Kim Telkin
Love for You
4
|
Posted - 2011.10.15 23:09:00 -
[1] - Quote
So about 4 pitchers of beer into our traditional CERN-saturday-slosh-op (we are a corp of particle physics grad students and post-docs) , we podded someone in a newbie ship out in 0.0 space. Someone who certainly seemed way way out of their depth.
This got us to thinking that the most awesome newbie tutorial mission ever would be one where they gave you a newbie ship and told you to fly into a specific 0.0 system deep into sovereign space.
Call it a "scouting mission". Your job, to get as close as possible to your target system. You are rewarded with 2,000,000/X isk where X is the number of jumps away you end up when you podded. To make this more fun, the game should put a 1Mill bounty on the head of the newbie pilot as well.
With some proper instruction warning the player they will get podded (and showing them how to check a clone), it could be fun. I know I was terrified of sov 0.0 space for months when I started the game.
Probably, though, I need to drink less beer before thinking random crazy thoughts.  |

Sara XIII
Deep Core Mining Inc. Caldari State
12
|
Posted - 2011.10.15 23:11:00 -
[2] - Quote
I like it. +1 |

KaarBaak
90
|
Posted - 2011.10.15 23:14:00 -
[3] - Quote
Kim Telkin wrote:So about 4 pitchers of beer into our traditional CERN-saturday-slosh-op (we are a corp of particle physics grad students and post-docs) , we podded someone in a newbie ship out in 0.0 space. Someone who certainly seemed way way out of their depth. This got us to thinking that the most awesome newbie tutorial mission ever would be one where they gave you a newbie ship and told you to fly into a specific 0.0 system deep into sovereign space. Call it a "scouting mission". Your job, to get as close as possible to your target system. You are rewarded with 2,000,000/X isk where X is the number of jumps away you end up when you podded. To make this more fun, the game should put a 1Mill bounty on the head of the newbie pilot as well. With some proper instruction warning the player they will get podded (and showing them how to check a clone), it could be fun. I know I was terrified of sov 0.0 space for months when I started the game. Probably, though, I need to drink less beer before thinking random crazy thoughts. 
If they get to the target system, they will be "0 jumps" away and your formula will cause the servers to melt (again).
Other than that, seems like a great idea.
|

Lyrrashae
Crushed Ambitions Universal Consortium
20
|
Posted - 2011.10.16 06:08:00 -
[4] - Quote
Drunk boffins = best boffins I A/F/K cloak in Jita. Does that count? |

ACE McFACE
Blue Republic RvB - BLUE Republic
19
|
Posted - 2011.10.16 06:23:00 -
[5] - Quote
This idea gets the ACE McFACE seal of approval ZE GOGGLES, ZEY DO NOTHING! (Not wearing them so don't waste your time reading this sig) |

draconothese
Independant Celestial Enterprises Pink Fluffy Pussycats
0
|
Posted - 2011.10.16 07:08:00 -
[6] - Quote
i like it make it repetable as well cough so i can farm it in my tech 3 XD |

Xercodo
Xovoni Directorate Not Usually Killing Everyone.
97
|
Posted - 2011.10.16 07:12:00 -
[7] - Quote
KaarBaak wrote:
If they get to the target system, they will be "0 jumps" away and your formula will cause the servers to melt (again).
Other than that, seems like a great idea.
Now get back to work and make a black hole and take this whole worthless planet out of existance.
2,000,000 * 0 = 0 2,000,000 ++ 0 = NaN
++ =/= * The Drake is a Lie |

Iwillbuystuff
Deck of Cards
0
|
Posted - 2011.10.16 07:22:00 -
[8] - Quote
Xercodo wrote:KaarBaak wrote:
If they get to the target system, they will be "0 jumps" away and your formula will cause the servers to melt (again).
Other than that, seems like a great idea.
Now get back to work and make a black hole and take this whole worthless planet out of existance.
2,000,000 * 0 = 0 2,000,000 ++ 0 = NaN ++ =/= *
((jumps == 0) ? 2000000 : 2000000/jumps)
Dividing by zero is easy to avoid... |

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
92
|
Posted - 2011.10.16 07:45:00 -
[9] - Quote
I like it. Not only does it get newbies familiar with the concept of "you're gonna lose yer ship and pod at some point" but it encourages them to be a bit ballsy... it will also give some older players "something to do" (for better or worse).
One little detail I'd like to add to your idea though... restrict it to accounts that have just been activated (with a limit of ~30 days to claim the mission)... otherwise you might get quite a few people already in null alliances abusing your system with trial accounts. "Just because I seem like an idiot, doesn't mean I am one." ~Unknown |

Kim Telkin
Love for You
8
|
Posted - 2011.10.16 08:58:00 -
[10] - Quote
Beer makes math hard. Don't worry, I don't divide by 0 when I'm smashing particles. The world is safe. Sorry KaarBaak. I was, mentally thinking 2,000,000/(N+1), or at least thats the excuse I'm going to go with.
As far as exploiting it, as long as the reward/hour is on par with a lvl 3 mission, I can't see it being too game breaking.
Now back to work. I have a boson to find (sadly, not the Helicity type). o/ |

Cerisia
Lone Star enterprises
94
|
Posted - 2011.10.16 10:46:00 -
[11] - Quote
ShahFluffers wrote:I like it. Not only does it get newbies familiar with the concept of "you're gonna lose yer ship and pod at some point" but it encourages them to be a bit ballsy... it will also give some older players "something to do" (for better or worse).
One little detail I'd like to add to your idea though... restrict it to accounts that have just been activated (with a limit of ~30 days to claim the mission)... otherwise you might get quite a few people already in null alliances abusing your system with trial accounts.
Damn , that's my idea out the window then.... I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. |

ThisIsntMyMain
Republic University Minmatar Republic
31
|
Posted - 2011.10.16 11:32:00 -
[12] - Quote
reward = 2000000/(jumps+1)
fixed your bug (and the OP's calc). You only get the full reward if you reach the target system, not 1 jump away. There is no need for a zero check |

Nonnori Ikkala
Love for You
2
|
Posted - 2011.10.16 14:14:00 -
[13] - Quote
The genius of the plan is that it explicitly gets the new player interacting with other players, which is the point of Eve and not something the current new player experience introduces you to, and into null sec, which is a large part of the point of Eve and not something the current new player experience introduces you to well.
I can imagine Goons or Test having a standing invite, "You're good enough at running null sec gate camps that you made it all the way to our home system in a noobie ship!? Automatic invitation to corp!" |

Jessie Isagar
Catocalypse Meow ZOMBIE KITTY FORCE
0
|
Posted - 2011.10.16 14:30:00 -
[14] - Quote
I like it, I am only like two weeks if that into the game and I would be all over that like white on rice. if for no other reason than to show up, my **** all shot up and on fire, bloodied and beaten, only say " gemme my goddamned isk" then proceed to lock orbit your ubership in my ****** slasher and plink away with my civilian cannons, why? Because I can, and **** you for dragging me out into the boonies.
But yea..I like the idea |

The Old Chap
Imperial Academy Amarr Empire
19
|
Posted - 2011.10.16 15:22:00 -
[15] - Quote
Do I get a civilian covops module to run this mission as well?
Which makes me think that an AFK cloaking mission might also be a good idea.
 Look into my eyes...-á-á and tighten that sphincter, kid. |
| |
|
| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |