| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 3 post(s) |

Jenn aSide
STK Scientific Initiative Mercenaries
4648
|
Posted - 2014.02.10 14:43:00 -
[1] - Quote
Veronica Felix wrote:We often see people in EVE who defensively claim to be good, decent folk in real life, yet play vicious psychotics in EVE. But can they really separate the two? Does one's EVE persona reflect who and what people are in real life despite all their denials? A new study claims that playing the villain makes you a bad person in real life: ' Gamers that adopted villainous Voldemort as an avatar, were more likely to dish out a punishment in the experiment .
'University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign researchers found that people who played games as a heroic character were more likely to reward others.
'They warned that how gamers represent themselves in the virtual world of video games may affect how they behave toward others in the real world.' http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2555752/Playing-villain-video-games-makes-MEAN-Avatar-role-play-replicated-real-world-claims-study.html#ixzz2svavZ1lj
I went back and read the whole thing, the only conclusion I can come to is that Walking in Stations aka avatar play is a bad idea..... Spaceships are neutral.

|

Jenn aSide
STK Scientific Initiative Mercenaries
4648
|
Posted - 2014.02.10 18:52:00 -
[2] - Quote
Muestereate wrote:The random chaos, violence reward and punishment of this game and many others are prerequisites to brainwashing. Physical emotional and physical stress are used to weaken the mind. The belief that it is normal is the next goal. Peer reinforcement is both evidence of and a tool of the operant and become increasingly harder to mentally escape. That means many of the people in this thread are literally tools. no troll intended. We are of course also employed as violent and chaotic elements,So also could the constant changing of rules and "balancing". Once these are met influence becomes a soft sell with the victims embracing their captors as benefactors. All hail beneficent and wonderful CCP. Continued development of multiple personalities allows a lot of hidden values and motivations. WE of course MUST have alts, even if its only on one account.
The most obvious goals of this company are to sell subscriptions, and plex but could it be more nefarious. I originally thought of this as a possible economic experiment on free market capitalism but with the fall of Icelands economic system, coud the social data be of value to controlled socialist, communist governments?
With a name like Crowd Control Productions and supercomputer modeling and data crunching capabilities one has to ask... What is the nature of their production?
Many will of course guffaw this post, it is the nature of your programming. But the question must stand, who are they grooming and for what? Sure as hell isn't anything of social or moral value.
Christ, just when you thought nothing could make Dinsdale look sane....this.
|

Jenn aSide
STK Scientific Initiative Mercenaries
4650
|
Posted - 2014.02.10 20:49:00 -
[3] - Quote
Eram Fidard wrote:
It's so ridiculous, the only way I can justify such a viewpoint existing is as a defense mechanism to assure oneself that whatever one did wrong, it is only the fault of the other, for being a psychopath.
:roll:
You know, when i read that I remember something i once read and spent 5 minutes (an eternity in geekdom) looking for it.
http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp02142004.shtml Just strikes me as the same kind of people who look outward with the problem is on the inside lol.
|

Jenn aSide
STK Scientific Initiative Mercenaries
4653
|
Posted - 2014.02.11 13:23:00 -
[4] - Quote
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:I wasn't planning to post again so quickly, but then I saw this nonsense. Quote:Is EVE about blowing up spaceships for you? Why must EVE be about getting my spaceship blown up, for me, just because it is about blowing up spaceships for you? EVE is about blowing up spaceships for everyone, whether they realize it or not, and whether they accept it or not. It's about predator and prey. You chose to be the prey(by failing to defend yourself, by, you know, warping out when 5 neg tens enter local), and you wonder why you're being hunted for the sport, amusement, or profit of others?
I'll bet that Mayhow Morgan guy plays soccer but refuses to kick the ball, both out of an aversion to make the other team feel bad if he scores and because kicking a ball in a BALLgame is mean and upsetting to the ball.
|

Jenn aSide
STK Scientific Initiative Mercenaries
4659
|
Posted - 2014.02.11 17:14:00 -
[5] - Quote
Galen Darksmith wrote:Dersen Lowery wrote:It's all true: the Ishtar has become my vehicle of choice in RL, and I've started eschewing roads in favor of wormholes. My commute is now hugely variable in length, but it's also much more exciting. "Sorry I'm late boss, got stuck in an endless C4 chain."
Boss: "Faster than light SPACE ship and you still can't get here on time? Might as well have kept that 1989 honda Civic you were drivng".
|

Jenn aSide
STK Scientific Initiative Mercenaries
4660
|
Posted - 2014.02.11 20:31:00 -
[6] - Quote
Gilyan Cayrn wrote:
Killing miners isn't exactly what I was talking about, that's just part of the game. Lets say you help a newbie learn the game for a while, talk to him on a voicechat and become somewhat friendly only to later scam him. That's what I'm talking about.
That's a part of the game. One I wouldn't partake in (I don't personally see the fun in it) but that doesn't change facts. |

Jenn aSide
STK Scientific Initiative Mercenaries
4661
|
Posted - 2014.02.11 20:38:00 -
[7] - Quote
Winchester Steele wrote:Gilyan Cayrn wrote:I think people who scam has a pretty high chance of being douchebags IRL too. The entire "it's just a game so treating people like **** in it is completely fine"-thing just stinks of ignorance, it's the same kind of people that generally acts like assholes on the internet because "lulz its just teh internets", not like there's other people out there that could take offense or be hurt by **** you say right? If you are being "hurt" by actions taken in a Role Playing fantasy game, especially one whose central theme is a dark and heartless dystopian future, might I suggest the problem lies with YOU and not the community? Take a break. Go fishing, go smoke a fattie, whatever. Come back when you realize that its not real. Or don't come back. Maybe Eve isn't the game for you. Just last weekend a miner told me that he hoped i would die of cancer after I violenced his spaceship without his consent. I shot his spaceship in a game about shooting spaceships and he wished death upon me. But I'm the ignorant psycho right? Right?  Get bent dude. Also, HTFU.
There are loads of people who shouldn't be gaming at all in any way, least of all something intentionally nasty like EVE. They get upset when you tell them this lol.
I personally don't get it. If someone beating me at a game or cheating me out of something in a game notorious for cheats, I'd be able to recognize my lack of suitability for that activity.
I've got a cousin who is younger than me (he's 35) who has been married 6 times (every marriage ending due to his actions) who is engaged again and haven't figured out it's not for him (and lucky as hell he doesn't live in a real "alimony" state lol). love him to death but he's 'special', always has a get rich scheme to and always needs to 'borrow' money lol. Knows better than to ask m
Every time I see someone complain about some well advertised aspect of EVE (like a scam or a gank or losing alll te stuff they had because they put it all in/on one ship)) I think about that cousin and shake my head....
|

Jenn aSide
STK Scientific Initiative Mercenaries
4680
|
Posted - 2014.02.12 20:12:00 -
[8] - Quote
Kristalll wrote:In EVE I gank people for their own good, and awox for fun and profit. I also am CEO of a corporation and would give everything for my members and love helping out blues. For some reason people call me a psychopath and anti-social in game. Most of them are miners who have talked to a whole 3 people before I showed up to kill them, so take that with a grain of salt.
In real life I'm a Marine who does the job because I want to help people, and I'm also a registered EMT for that same reason.
What does this make me?
The same thing it makes you out of game: a person dependent on (navy) ships to get anywhere.
-signed, the gandson of a retired USN MCPO who loved to talk trash to marines, especially 2 of his own sons lol

|
| |
|