| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Cyn Scrapie
Caldari Abandoned Can Removal Inc.
|
Posted - 2006.08.13 12:59:00 -
[1]
Destroying the unarmed industrial with a battleship, or the industrial evading the situation with logging out?
|

Brisi
Sniggerdly
|
Posted - 2006.08.13 13:01:00 -
[2]
Originally by: Cyn Scrapie Destroying the unarmed industrial with a battleship, or the industrial evading the situation with logging out?
The one exploiting game mechanics in order to be succesfull, guess which one?
I am Brisi, I am as One. Resistance is fertile.
|

TuRtLe HeAd
Apocalypse Enterprises
|
Posted - 2006.08.13 13:05:00 -
[3]
They both involve Surviving.
Theres a PvP log off timer, so if the BS had scan probes the indy would still be dead.
Neither is more Admirable than the other. |

Awox
Awox Inc.
|
Posted - 2006.08.13 13:48:00 -
[4]
How about people who logoff before you even have a chance to find them? Or people who log off before you lock + agress them?
No chance of getting these ships if they logoff before you can attack them, here's today's routine:
1. Scan down 30 belt system, find Scythe: 2. Warp to belt Scythe is mining in 3. Watch Scythe disappear as guy leaves local 4. Wait for him to log back in for an hour... 5. only for him to be 400km away from the belt and logged off before my inty can catch him 6. Wait for him to log back in for another hour.. 7. Almost put 2 points on him before he disappears after logging off again
Yeah EVE risk vs reward is really working. - nerf 0.5+ |

Mazare Mircea
|
Posted - 2006.08.13 14:42:00 -
[5]
I don't find the similarity between the situation in the first post and that described by you Awox.
The industrial has no defence, is slow moving and should stay there and take it ? Not all ppl have tech 2 indy's and well armored friends. That is his only lifeline and i could certainly understand why he logged off, even if in that BS were me.
In you're case Awox ... I'd have given up from the start, that carebear is simply not worth losing 2hs, you will probably get him eventually. :)
|

Sonlatur
Minmatar Matari Raiders
|
Posted - 2006.08.13 14:49:00 -
[6]
Originally by: Cyn Scrapie Destroying the unarmed industrial with a battleship, or the industrial evading the situation with logging out?
I dont understand how anyone could reasonably think that the first situation is in any way not tolerable... Its the game.
The second situation is exploiting.
-- "Greetings fellow pod pilot. I am Sonlatur of the Sebiestor tribe and you have become a target in my war against the Evil Amarr Empire. Ransom negotiations are possible." |

Serious Bob
|
Posted - 2006.08.13 15:07:00 -
[7]
Originally by: Awox How about people who logoff before you even have a chance to find them? Or people who log off before you lock + agress them?
No chance of getting these ships if they logoff before you can attack them, here's today's routine:
1. Scan down 30 belt system, find Scythe: 2. Warp to belt Scythe is mining in 3. Watch Scythe disappear as guy leaves local 4. Wait for him to log back in for an hour... 5. only for him to be 400km away from the belt and logged off before my inty can catch him 6. Wait for him to log back in for another hour.. 7. Almost put 2 points on him before he disappears after logging off again
Yeah EVE risk vs reward is really working.
Yeah OMG I can imagine the isk he must've been making. No risk whilst not playing nor earning anything, nerf nerf nerf!
|

Athanasios Anastasiou
Elite Storm Enterprises Storm Armada
|
Posted - 2006.08.13 15:33:00 -
[8]
Originally by: Serious Bob
Originally by: Awox How about people who logoff before you even have a chance to find them? Or people who log off before you lock + agress them?
No chance of getting these ships if they logoff before you can attack them, here's today's routine:
1. Scan down 30 belt system, find Scythe: 2. Warp to belt Scythe is mining in 3. Watch Scythe disappear as guy leaves local 4. Wait for him to log back in for an hour... 5. only for him to be 400km away from the belt and logged off before my inty can catch him 6. Wait for him to log back in for another hour.. 7. Almost put 2 points on him before he disappears after logging off again
Yeah EVE risk vs reward is really working.
Yeah OMG I can imagine the isk he must've been making. No risk whilst not playing nor earning anything, nerf nerf nerf!
I think you are missing the point.
|

Serious Bob
|
Posted - 2006.08.13 17:22:00 -
[9]
Originally by: Athanasios Anastasiou
I think you are missing the point.
In what way? He was talking about risk vs reward. What would the difference be versus just being aligned and warping to a safespot?
If he thinks waiting for several hours for someone to come back online, then uh, sure. Whatever works for him. But that's his choice, he can't really complain about other people choosing not to play?
Btw, maybe next time you can just explain which point I'm missing so I don't have to guess in my reply. ^^
|

Too Kind
|
Posted - 2006.08.13 17:23:00 -
[10]
Edited by: Too Kind on 13/08/2006 17:24:03 Non-consensual pvp is an intended part of the game world, also if it's 10 combat ships against a single hauler. It's playing the game, not meta-gaming. On the other hand, logging off to avoid consequences is neither an intended feature, nor does it make sense in the game world.
I mean, I've never seen Captain Kirk logging off with his Enterprise to avoid a danger. 
People are allowed to leave the game world without staying in space, because people can't play 23/7. THey've got a real-life. Besides that we have unreliable connections, cdts etc. That's what logging off is meant for and why the log-off timer is only one minute, if you log-off unaggressed. But people use it to cheat around their otherwise inevitable death. No more no less.  -------------------------- Post with your main !!!111 |

Thoris Levithar
|
Posted - 2006.08.13 19:01:00 -
[11]
Quote: I mean, I've never seen Captain Kirk logging off with his Enterprise to avoid a danger. 
Kirk admits in one of the movies that he changed the rules of a simulation to win an otherwise "not-possible-to-win" situation. If Kirk is allowed to do something like that, I don't see why EVE players shouldn't be :)
|

Serious Bob
|
Posted - 2006.08.13 19:38:00 -
[12]
Originally by: Thoris Levithar
Quote: I mean, I've never seen Captain Kirk logging off with his Enterprise to avoid a danger. 
Kirk admits in one of the movies that he changed the rules of a simulation to win an otherwise "not-possible-to-win" situation. If Kirk is allowed to do something like that, I don't see why EVE players shouldn't be :)
Heh, never quote star trek unless you're really sure. 
|

Wild Rho
Amarr Imperial Shipment
|
Posted - 2006.08.14 10:25:00 -
[13]
Edited by: Wild Rho on 14/08/2006 10:26:11 The battleship pilot is playing within the game mechanics. You may not approve or like how he is doing it but that doesn't matter. The indy pilot is abusing the game mechanics to avoid the consequences of his actions (i.e. jumping a lone industrial ship into dangerous space without protection or even a simple scout).
If you're going to play the game it should be played as intended and at least have the balls to live with the consequences of your actions.
WE ARE DYSLEXIC OF BORG. Refutance is systile. Your ass will be laminated. - Jennie Marlboro
|

Handon Guild
Exotic Dancers Club
|
Posted - 2006.08.14 10:32:00 -
[14]
Logging off in combat, and stabs on pvp-setups are the 2 worst things in eve!
|

DarkElf
Caldari Arcana Imperii Ltd.
|
Posted - 2006.08.16 09:59:00 -
[15]
Industrials logging is lame but understandable. i had a raven pilot, combat fitted log off on me before he de-cloaked at a stargate because i was chasing him in a mega. i was tanking sentry guns as well and still he logged like a pansy, and 30 seconds isn't really enough time to blast a raven without a gank setup. now that's the worst of all. Pilot was from vertigo coalition i think it was. that's the ultimate in lame.
with indy's it's still lame but understandable. killing an indy in a bs? nothing wrong with that. kill em all! 
DE
|

Belhorn Battlebeard
Turbulent
|
Posted - 2006.08.16 10:09:00 -
[16]
Logging is just blatantly cowardly, or depending on the circumstances it could be classed as a last-hitch attempt to cover the pilot's own stupidity.
E.g. if the attacker is a Pirate and currently in local, the Indy pilot should not be sat in a belt in a hauler, that's asking for trouble. So once they get scrammed, it's their own stupid mistake for being careless and the only way out is to exploit - not acceptable imo.
Ganking haulers 4TW - YARRRRRR
|

Jah'Ret Khan
Minmatar StateCorp Veritas Immortalis
|
Posted - 2006.08.16 10:34:00 -
[17]
The first situation is a little lame, but part of the game and totally acceptable. I don't do that because I like interesting fights, and that's not interesting. But it is a profit turner.
The second situation is a very lame game exploit. ************************** We go ZOOM-ZOOM! You go BOOM-BOOM!
|

Tremain
|
Posted - 2006.08.16 12:08:00 -
[18]
Can't you kill him before he emergency warps? Camn't you scramble him and kill him before he dissapears (not that long without pvp timer but still..).
I'm presuming the pvp timer will only kick in if he logs off after you've shot him? Perhaps CCP could have the pvp flag be double checked just before it dissapears - that way it *would* stay around long enough for you to do your worst.
|

Velsharoon
Gallente Corsets and Carebears Whips and Chains
|
Posted - 2006.08.16 12:15:00 -
[19]
Originally by: Wild Rho Edited by: Wild Rho on 14/08/2006 10:26:11 The battleship pilot is playing within the game mechanics. You may not approve or like how he is doing it but that doesn't matter. The indy pilot is abusing the game mechanics to avoid the consequences of his actions (i.e. jumping a lone industrial ship into dangerous space without protection or even a simple scout).
If you're going to play the game it should be played as intended and at least have the balls to live with the consequences of your actions.
Nothing more needs to be said on the matter tbh :/
|

Acerus Malum
Encina Technologies Namtz'aar k'in
|
Posted - 2006.08.16 17:06:00 -
[20]
Edited by: Acerus Malum on 16/08/2006 17:06:41
Originally by: Too Kind I mean, I've never seen Captain Kirk logging off with his Enterprise to avoid a danger. 
Of course he doesn't just log off... a Star Trek buff would know: real starship captains self-destruct their ships when in mortal peril. (I'm pretty certain it's written down somewhere in the starship's operator's manual.) 
|

xenodia
Gallente Trinity Nova
|
Posted - 2006.08.16 17:51:00 -
[21]
Originally by: Serious Bob
Originally by: Thoris Levithar
Quote: I mean, I've never seen Captain Kirk logging off with his Enterprise to avoid a danger. 
Kirk admits in one of the movies that he changed the rules of a simulation to win an otherwise "not-possible-to-win" situation. If Kirk is allowed to do something like that, I don't see why EVE players shouldn't be :)
Heh, never quote star trek unless you're really sure. 
Never slam someone for quoting unless youre sure they are wrong. In this case, he was correct. The quote hes referring to is from Star Trek II (the Wrath of Khan). Kirk admitted to having changed the rules on the "Kobayashi Maru" simulation in his academy days, to make the engagement winnable (when it was supposed to be an unwinnable test of character). His reason was that "he didnt believe in a no-win scenario".
Please visit our website here |

Ms Muneca
AYDS
|
Posted - 2006.08.16 18:38:00 -
[22]
The logging off is dumb.
Although, I don't even think about attacking haulers, they are my only supply line :( -----
|

Akhual
1st Royal Marines
|
Posted - 2006.08.17 04:52:00 -
[23]
Edited by: Akhual on 17/08/2006 04:54:38
I have killed the same guy two night in a row. The first time, he logged off the second I blew his ship so his pod insta warped away, then logged back on blaming lag and client freeze (for both the reason he died and the reason he logged ).
He then went on to preach about honour in local for over half an hour, saying how it's not left in the eve world yarda yarda yarda.
Last night I killed him again, and once more he logs to save his pod. This time when he logs on I point out the irony of preaching in local about honour then using an out of game mechanic to escape death.
His response?
Apparently, he had every right to do that as I had turned up at the fight in a ship more dangerous than his (pilgrim V vexxor), therefore he was using a valid tactic. Nothing I said (even pointing out the obvious - hello? pirate!? ) would make him understand the difference between using in game mechanics compared to out of game mechanics. In the end I gave up!
I thought about naming and shaming here, but meh, what's the use? He was firmly opinionated that he was doing a valid thing. I'll just get a sensor boosted arazu out with me next time, or use my smartbombing raven.

|
| |
|
| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |