|Posted - 2006.08.23 12:08:00 -
Instas are just the syndrome, not the disease. I think here is something wrong with the way that piracy takes place in EVE. I mean, what's the fun jumping at 15kms away from a gate, only to see a gang of 40+ people waiting for you with a huge smile on their faces? What are your chances of escaping that? ZERO... That's why everyone is using bookmarks... Carebears hate pirates and love bookmarks. Pirates hate bookmarks and love carebears. But pirates also use bookmarks in order to fly safely themselves.. The way i see it bookmarks is not the real problem. The problem is DEATH. That's why everyone is using bookmarks (other than faster traveling of course).
So, why not make the PvP system more fair to everyone? What i propose is this: Noone can be attacked by a gang numbering x3 the number of ships (any type of ships)... Say if one jumps to a gate, then a gang may attack him if it counts 3 or less ships... During the engagement no other ship may agro the defender (the first gang attack, first served). To avoid getting chain-ganged buy another 3-ship gang, there should be a time interval of 5-6 minutes before
next attack can occure (something like the 15 minutes aggresion thing). A 2 ship gang jumping to a gate may be attacked by a gang of max 6 ships, or two different gangs numbering max 3 ships each etc etc... I am sure there can be some variation to this, to allow large scale battles, like as when a gang is 4 or more ships large, then any amount of attackers may attack...
Before flaming me think of some impacts this may have:
1) EVE will become ONE game (the way it is now it's more like two games running at the same time)
2) The experienced carebears may actually take their chances and try PvP for a change... they may like it.
3) Piracy will gain some respect and honor (unless you think that a 40 Cruisers gang against a velator is ok. If you believe it's ok, go back to impact No 1). And you call me a griefer...
4) The warp to 15kms option will remain. Pirates will still have all the time they want to do their job.
5) There will be no more excuse to request for a "Warp me straight to the middle of the darn gate Level V" skill.
6) AFK travellers will still be needing the same time to travell and will still be exposed to the same danger (they should know better).
7) Either a carabear or a pirate, you won't have to wait for the whole family to come back from school and work just to make that one single jump to the 0,4 system right next to you.
8) Small gangs of 2-3 people will have all the chance they want to play and enjoy their selves in eve in contrary to waiting for a gang of 30+ people to deside what exactly they want to do next.
9) If you wonder how could you stop a fleet of 300 ships jumping to the gate, in small gangs of three ships eatch, stop wondering... you would be dead anyway... BUT this way you still have a chance to survive...
10) Everyone who likes bookmarks may keep using them, and everyone who doesn't may keep using them too. But gradually the hyge demand for bookmarks will decrease.
11) It may prove to be benefitial for the economy of eve... more ship kills, more money spent, more modules bought, more insurance payed...
I don't know if anyone else unstestands PvP to be direrctly connected to bookmarks, but i think it is...