| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Phul
|
Posted - 2006.09.13 01:06:00 -
[1]
I'm new to the game and I've been reading a lot about how BM's lag the game etc. *I know I'm treading hostile waters here* Can somebody explain it to me? Thanks.
|

Goliath Scorpion
The Buggers
|
Posted - 2006.09.13 01:18:00 -
[2]
It's not so much bookmarks as it is copying them en mass.
|

Rumbaar
Solitary Forsaken
|
Posted - 2006.09.13 02:31:00 -
[3]
It's the server side item ID's and table entries that have to be created each time a BM is created as an item and then proceed which creates the server lag. Also whenever a person opens up their list of 10,000+ BM's accessing the same table. etc. ___________________
Custom banner? Click above or EVEmail |

Daz Sampson
|
Posted - 2006.09.13 10:16:00 -
[4]
server has to access all someones bookmarks when they change system, this can be a lot of bookmarks being accessed quite regulary
|

Belladonna Nightshade
|
Posted - 2006.09.13 10:21:00 -
[5]
Badly...thats how.
|

Miss Overlord
Gallente Garoun Investment Bank
|
Posted - 2006.09.13 10:22:00 -
[6]
in a bad way current restrictions are good start
|

Slevin Kalebra
|
Posted - 2006.09.13 11:05:00 -
[7]
I don't know why they don't just change BMs to be stored on the client (in an encrypted format so you can't just make a BM for fake / inaccessible locations) then send the single 'activated' BM coordinates to the server as required. Having said that, I'm not a big fan of them in their current form and I'm looking forward to seeing their replacement ...soon(tm)
|

Emily Spankratchet
Minmatar Pragmatics
|
Posted - 2006.09.13 11:06:00 -
[8]
One good explanation I've seen is from Valar, the Dev who works magic on the database when it falls over. It's here: linky
|

ToxicFire
Warlords Corp The Core Collective
|
Posted - 2006.09.13 11:17:00 -
[9]
Edited by: ToxicFire on 13/09/2006 11:20:51
Originally by: Slevin Kalebra I don't know why they don't just change BMs to be stored on the client (in an encrypted format so you can't just make a BM for fake / inaccessible locations) then send the single 'activated' BM coordinates to the server as required. Having said that, I'm not a big fan of them in their current form and I'm looking forward to seeing their replacement ...soon(tm)
Because there will always be someone that gets around to breaking the encryption / finding a way to access them.
Plus i get the destinct feeling that the dev's don't want the bookmarks out of their hands unless they've got a tamper proof system as the ammount of flack that may come from someone getting 1000au bookmarks out there seeing as it, would be near impossible to trace them all down once they started getting copied around the game.
To be honest my opion remains the same file with bookmarks in client side with encryption, then take the checksum of that file compare it with the copy of that checksum server any difference insta kick from server and notification of gm's
Of course you could easily work in a way deal with corrupt data or reinstalls, namely if the data's corrupt or missing a server side duplicate is downloaded to the client, based on the last viable bookmark data ie last login. Would reduce the load dramatically
|

TwoShoes
|
Posted - 2006.09.13 13:39:00 -
[10]
Agreed, opening bookmarks is a huge source of lag for me and I don't even have instas for the region I live in. Looks to me that the whole bookmark system needs streamlining.
|
| |
|
| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |