| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 2 post(s) |

Malus NalJa'ka
Amarr Imperial Dreams Curatores Veritatis Alliance
|
Posted - 2006.10.18 08:37:00 -
[1]
As the title says, I'm buying a macbook. My question is, can EVE be played on a mac? Not counting boot camp. Fear not, I still have my trusty PC to play EVE if the ****y hits the fan .
I guess this question has already been asked, but yeh, couldn't find anything :).
Cheers
Disclaimer: Any spelling or grammatical errors are none of your business and/or made on purpose |

Directive
|
Posted - 2006.10.18 11:20:00 -
[2]
No native OSX client. Possibly with Parallel or some other virtualization engine that allows you to run XP/2k inside OSX.
|

Malus NalJa'ka
Amarr Imperial Dreams Curatores Veritatis Alliance
|
Posted - 2006.10.18 12:03:00 -
[3]
Originally by: Directive No native OSX client. Possibly with Parallel or some other virtualization engine that allows you to run XP/2k inside OSX.
aka installing boot camp ... meh, I'll stick to my PC for EVEing then :P
Disclaimer: Any spelling or grammatical errors are none of your business and/or made on purpose |

Taedrin
Gallente Mercatoris Technologies
|
Posted - 2006.10.22 04:48:00 -
[4]
You have a couple of choices:
a) Use a PC b) Use a windows Emulator c) Bootcamp d) purchase a Mac implementation of the Windows API (An OS X equivalent of wine)
|

Redrig Bayer
Art of War
|
Posted - 2006.10.26 11:28:00 -
[5]
Parallels doesn't support D3D, so that's a no-go. However Crossover is working on it - It's got things like Halflife2 etc. running (albeit under Dx7 but I believe that DX9 is something being worked on atm). Transgaming also have a dev tool called Cider (similar to wine) that allows PC games to be recompiled natively as a Mac version with no change to the source code (from what I've picked up) - But that's very much in the developer's hands, rather than an API wrapper such as Crossover.
So - Without dual-booting into Windows using bootcamp there's no way to run Eve on a Mac... Yet.
|

Nick Badwey
|
Posted - 2006.12.03 21:51:00 -
[6]
You have to use botocamp. None of the emulators, parallels included, will do 3D gfx. Bootcamp is a snap to install though and EVE *screams* on the MBP. In fact I am playing eve right now on my MBP :) Its the sole reason I gave bootcamp a try. Hopefully it will support Vista when it's out so those that want the DX10 gfx can use them.
P.S. DX sucks OGL++
Nick
|

Yarod Cool
Team JAVELIN The Cyrene Initiative
|
Posted - 2006.12.03 23:44:00 -
[7]
http://oldforums.eveonline.com/?a=topic&threadID=426637
|

Horatio Nately
Caldari 808 Enterprises
|
Posted - 2006.12.06 05:12:00 -
[8]
running an emulator would be like jumping in quicksand and asking for lead weights to be thrown to you for about a week untill you die (kill your comp) --------------------------------------- Operations Officer, 808 Enterprises Yes Eight Oh Eight, Not Bee Oh Bee My Opinions pretty much represent my corp. Boo fkin hoo. |

Mr Horizontal
|
Posted - 2006.12.06 16:20:00 -
[9]
I have a Core (1) Duo WhiteBook, fully maxed out with 2GB RAM and 120GB HD (which I'll upgrade to a 200GB 7200rpm when Seagate or Hitachi get their new HDDs out). Don't bother with the BlackBook, it costs ú150 more and doesn't look as nice for exactly the same machine. There are some issues with shadows in the integrated Graphics, but Eve runs OK - even with 2 window-mode clients, EveMon and about 200 browser windows open in a typical Eve session!
I have both Parallels and Boot Camp on it. Eve won't run in Parallels, but runs OK under Boot Camp. Remember, the Macbook has integrated graphics, but I'm surprised that the GMA950 can handle Eve OK - about the same subjective performance as a Matrox Parhelia. Frame rates will drop when there are lots of objects in view, but strangely it's spacejunk in missions like buildings and pirate hangouts, not ships, asteroids or stars that affect the framerate.
There are some texture and shadow issues with the GMA950 and Eve, but this doesn't detract from gameplay, and you can certainly fight without any issues!
For Mac OS X, you *must* have at least 1GB RAM. In fact, without the maxed out RAM, this machine is an absolute dog. So make sure you max it out to the full 2GB, otherwise you will suffer very badly.
Current Macbooks obviously have the Core 2 Duo, but even the normal Core Duo works fine.
Havig said that, a Macbook Pro is only about ú300 more when you're maxing them both out...
But I'll stress again, as I can't stress it enough: MAX OUT THE RAM!!!
|

Lady Absenthe
|
Posted - 2007.06.19 06:14:00 -
[10]
I am looking for the same solution, and have been playing EVE on my Boot Camp partition. However, I tried to find the thread but couldn't, I read somewhere that an OS X client is coming out -- hopefully with Rev 2.]
|
| |
|
| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |