| Pages: 1 2 3 :: [one page] |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Malikon
|
Posted - 2003.12.11 18:55:00 -
[1]
Its that time again. I ran out of reading material...need new suggestions...no ian banks please...best series i've read recently was the reality dysfunction...something along those lines would be much appreciated. thanks.
|

Lord Azraiel
|
Posted - 2003.12.11 18:58:00 -
[2]
For a bit of commical reading, I suggest the EVE manual. It's funny to read all the lies they are feeding the new players and to see how different the game is now from then . "I'm comin' for ya, and Hell's comin' with me!" |

Atandros
|
Posted - 2003.12.11 19:09:00 -
[3]
Hyperion, by Dan Simmons.
|

Fearigus Alba
|
Posted - 2003.12.11 20:11:00 -
[4]
Edited by: Fearigus Alba on 11/12/2003 20:25:52 Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson. I am still reading it, so far one of the best books I have read in a LONG time.
|

Malikon
|
Posted - 2003.12.11 21:24:00 -
[5]
bump... i know you people read more than just these forums
|

GM Abraxas
|
Posted - 2003.12.11 21:37:00 -
[6]
Check out the "SF Masterworks" series, published by Orion/Gollancz. Link to Orion's page for the series. Not every book may be to your taste, but there's plenty to choose from. Matheson's I am Legend is a personal favourite of mine, but then I'm a horror buff.
|

Zarthan
|
Posted - 2003.12.11 22:34:00 -
[7]
Go read the Cat in the hat followed by green eggs and ham . Seriously though i find most stephen king books worth reading if your into taht sorta thing. The art of war is long but interesting at times. happy reading. _______________________________________________________ Get custom sigs and graphics done here Unforgivn Website
|

Veruna Caseti
|
Posted - 2003.12.11 22:40:00 -
[8]
Chuck Palahniuk pwns contemporary literature.
Veruna Caseti Ishukone |

Brom
|
Posted - 2003.12.11 22:47:00 -
[9]
Ring, by Stephen Baxter.
|

Mischief
|
Posted - 2003.12.11 23:21:00 -
[10]
If you enjoyed the "Nightsdawn" trilogy by Hamilton then have a look at Stephen Donaldson's "Gap" series. It's 4 books and I thought it was excellent, make sure you read them in the right sequence tho.
One that I am just starting is another SF series, this is by Alatair Reynolds. The first book is called "Revelation SPace and the second book is "Chasm City". The third is out early next year. |

Capt Smolowitz
|
Posted - 2003.12.11 23:31:00 -
[11]
"Red Storm Rising" by Tom Clancy
|

Mr Vapor
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 00:00:00 -
[12]
coyote by allan steele
"Fear me like you fear God." |

Omber Zombie
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 00:34:00 -
[13]
hmm lets see,
Only Forward - Michael Marshall Smith Spares - Michael Marshall Smith
Vurt - Jeff Noon Automated Alice - Jeff Noon Pollen - Jeff Noon
The Lensman Series: Triplanetary First Lensman Galactic Patrol Gray Lensman Second Stage Lensman Children of the Lens Masters of the Vortex
by EE Doc Smith ----------- "Remember people: Omber is the biggest evil ever created, DO NOT let it get to you!" Waagaa Ktlehr, BDCI
I have a blog
|

Paniq
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 01:16:00 -
[14]
The Godfather by Mario Puzo The Dark Tower I-V by Stephen King
'best of the best' 
|

Araviel
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 01:31:00 -
[15]
"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K. ****
awsome book wich the movie "bladerunner" whit harrison ford is based on, any one that is a fan of dark future litterature whit a little bit of philosophy should read it.
EPIC Recruitment post
|

Jael Markinsen
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 02:38:00 -
[16]
Well, For this genre of fiction, or sci-fi, I can always recommend the "Honor Harrington" series of books by an author named David Weber. If I remember correctly, "On Basilisk station", is the name of the first book in the series, been awhile since I've read it.
I thought it was great in how it drew together all the characters in the book and made you hate some, love some, and generally got you to feel as if you knew these people as if they were real.
Another series of books in the same genre, that i have started reading is "The Nicholas Seafort saga" starting with a title called "A midshipmens hope" authored by a great writer named David Feintuch.
|

Arima Todai
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 03:35:00 -
[17]
Quote: Chuck Palahniuk pwns contemporary literature.
Couldn't have said it better myself ____________________________
|

MooKids
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 06:07:00 -
[18]
Not sure if they are along the same lines as what you want, but I would recommend my two favorite books, George Orwell's 1984 and Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six. 1984 makes you think and see some parallels with our current world. I also read Rainbow Six twice it was that good. -------------------------------- CCP can patch away bugs, but they can't patch away stupidity. |

Kalar Vrask
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 06:48:00 -
[19]
Quote: Check out the "SF Masterworks" series, published by Orion/Gollancz. Link to Orion's page for the series. Not every book may be to your taste, but there's plenty to choose from. Matheson's I am Legend is a personal favourite of mine, but then I'm a horror buff.
Some good titles there. Michael Moorcock is prominent in both the SF & Fantasy sections, as any readers of his Eternal Champion series will verify, he is a god. 
|

Ariell Lucinwind
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 06:56:00 -
[20]
You do know that the movie "The Lord of the Rings" is now a book. Typical of them to suck us dry of money by making a movie then a book. Maybe you should read it and see if its better than the movie ?
I think there are three books and they may make a prequal called the Hobbit and something else.
(Yes this is sarcasm) -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Came back cause I love you guys :P |

Severus Trajan
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 07:12:00 -
[21]
Quote: "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K. ****
ROFL! Poor mr **** got censured. 
|

Mojo JoJo
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 07:19:00 -
[22]
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
the song of fire and ice books have got to be the best i have ever read
|

Jash Illian
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 07:35:00 -
[23]
The Cat Who Walked Through Walls - Robert A Heinlein
Without Remorse - Tom Clancy
I mean its like you want corporations to oblige each other like its sex or something. Pffft I would rather **** my enemy.- Rohann
Be careful out there. That other guy waiting in the queue for the gate MIGHT be a baby-munching frock-burner, YOU JUST DON'T KNOW!- Lallante |

Saera Ezliha
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 07:43:00 -
[24]
Read the good classic Dune series by Frank Herbert if you havent.
|

Kunming
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 08:01:00 -
[25]
How do u ppl remember the authors of the books u read? I never care about that... I only know long dead authors like Goethe, Franz Kafka, Emile Zola, etc. These bones have done a good job when they were alive!
Intercepting since BETA |

Paniq
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 08:31:00 -
[26]
Quote: You do know that the movie "The Lord of the Rings" is now a book. Typical of them to suck us dry of money by making a movie then a book.
haha! 
and to stay on topic: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
|

Miso
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 09:19:00 -
[27]
Edited by: Miso on 12/12/2003 09:21:06 Wind Up Bird Chronicle
Good book on WW2
One of the best fictional accounts of war ever written
Sci fi Classic
Great allegorical short stories
Japanese classic
Enjoy! -------------------------------------------- Dead
|

Lianhaun
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 09:24:00 -
[28]
anything by Robin Hobb
This is not a hijack
|

Maud Dib
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 13:23:00 -
[29]
Quote: Edited by: Miso on 12/12/2003 09:21:06 Wind Up Bird Chronicle
Good book on WW2
One of the best fictional accounts of war ever written
Sci fi Classic
Great allegorical short stories
Japanese classic
Enjoy!
Interesting choices there Miso but I have to disagree with one statement. So far I have not read one fictional account of war that was anywhere close. Most of them just staked out an ideological point ( either pro or con) and then wrote the story to fit it.
Here's a book you might want to read even though there are some factural errors and significant ideological drifts and ommissons. The book is Bury my heart at Wounded Knee.
|

Perera
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 13:43:00 -
[30]
Edited by: Perera on 12/12/2003 13:47:16
Quote: Read the good classic Dune series by Frank Herbert if you havent.
And that's all SIX books folks. Chapter House was actually my fave.
Or if you want more of Hamilton's stuff, Fallen Dragon is very good.
Perera - Corp shrink!
|

Sybylle
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 13:53:00 -
[31]
@ Ariell Lucinwind 
Fortunately there is a little sentence down...
"yes, it's sarchasm"
Few 
I would Suggest Roger Zelazny (Princes of Ambre) ...Only 9 books...
(\_/) (O.o) (> <)=Oveur (proof) "Jumping 50 systems I can like, have sex 150 times during that period" |

Dust Puppy
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 14:11:00 -
[32]
Edited by: Dust Puppy on 12/12/2003 14:12:22 OMG I canŠt believe noone mentioned Enders Game by Orson Scott Card.
Edit: Reality Dysfunction rocks  __________ Capacitor research |

Marc Vestabule
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 14:12:00 -
[33]
The Gap Series by Stephen Donaldson
Its a great series of books of intrigue and double-cross involving a bunch of pirates and law enforcers and set on mining stations, research bases and spaceships in the far reaches of explored space. The background is of a corrupt mining corporation (and its law enforcement arm) and its abuse of power and the alien presence just outside explored space which is heavily into genetic manipulation....
Sound familar....
|

syndic4te
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 14:12:00 -
[34]
The art of war, by Sun Tzu ---
--- |

Artur Hawkwing
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 14:16:00 -
[35]
Edited by: Artur Hawkwing on 12/12/2003 14:16:44 David Gemmell books are great, atm I am reading Robert Jordan's The Wheel Of Time series, these books are truly superb 
|

Chaosbringer
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 14:18:00 -
[36]
Edited by: Chaosbringer on 12/12/2003 15:01:18 Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan..If you havent already read it..go get it
Peter F Hamiltons Fallen Dragon < excellent read.
The Crucible of Time by John Brunner < different, another good read
E E Doc Smith Damn 
BTW Whats wrong with Ian (M) Banks 
Every silver lining has a cloud |

Sforza
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 15:36:00 -
[37]
Quote: Edited by: Chaosbringer on 12/12/2003 15:01:18 Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan..If you havent already read it..go get it
Great call on 'Altered Carbon', the best SF debut I've had in ages. The followup 'Broken Angels' is equally as good.
If I can throw a few books into the ring (yes I know its a mangled metaphor)..
'Gardens of the Moon' by Stephen Erikson. Ive been telling everyone I can find who reads fantasy novels. This is the first of a series and is dark, moving and quite wonderful. In one book this has more evolving plot and backstory than all of the (8/9?) books in 'The Wheel of Time'.
'The Coldest March' by Susan Solomon. Account of the Scott expedition to the south pole. Really well written and great science, and goes someway to restore the reputation of a British Hero.
And I'll throw in anything by William Gibson if I may!
Sforza
CEO Vronsky Brothers and Sons
Council Member Ushra'Khan |

Catch22
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 15:44:00 -
[38]
You have to read Joseph Heller's classic... erm... now, what's it called again...?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ '[He] would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.' |

Chai N'Dorr
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 15:48:00 -
[39]
@ OmberZombie: recommending "Spares", you ROCK!
If you're into Sci-Fi like Banks/Hamilton, give Alastair Reynolds a go: "Revelation Space", "Chasm City", "Redemption Ark".
Should you like weird: "Zod Wallop" by William Browning Spencer is your book.
p.s. I really, really hated how Hamilton ended the Night's Dawn Trilogy.
|

Sforza
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 16:44:00 -
[40]
Quote: @
p.s. I really, really hated how Hamilton ended the Night's Dawn Trilogy.
Agreed, I felt let down by it also, he just seemed to run out of steam.
I sense an incoming Joshua Calvert to argue the point!
Sforza
CEO Vronsky Brothers and Sons
Council Member Ushra'Khan |

Kazim
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 16:52:00 -
[41]
A hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, and the following sequels.
Great read, will have you laughing 
|

Miso
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 17:13:00 -
[42]
Quote:
Quote: Edited by: Miso on 12/12/2003 09:21:06 Wind Up Bird Chronicle
Good book on WW2
One of the best fictional accounts of war ever written
Sci fi Classic
Great allegorical short stories
Japanese classic
Enjoy!
Interesting choices there Miso but I have to disagree with one statement. So far I have not read one fictional account of war that was anywhere close. Most of them just staked out an ideological point ( either pro or con) and then wrote the story to fit it.
Here's a book you might want to read even though there are some factural errors and significant ideological drifts and ommissons. The book is Bury my heart at Wounded Knee.
Read sorrow of war and prepare to eat your words Maud. Its stunning. -------------------------------------------- Dead
|

Plim
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 18:40:00 -
[43]
Read "Abuse You Illusions - The disinformation guide to media and establishment lies", edited by Russ Kick, thats some pretty enlightening, albiet unconfortable reading at times.
Same goes for "Rogue State", by William Blum.
"The African Dream", is pretty good, it's an acount of the revolutionary war in the congo, much of it is Che Guevara's own battle diaries (he spent about a year there). -----------------
|

Aethon
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 19:04:00 -
[44]
"Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley.
Lots of cloning and how it can go sooooo wrong. I feel really clever having read it, though not sure of the overall meaning of it all.
|

Bobby Wilson
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 19:13:00 -
[45]
Snowcrash. Wicked funny pseudo-cyberpunk
Anything by William Gibon (Neuromancer is a classic).
Starship Troopers by Heinlein (sp?). The book ruled, the movie was pretty much 100% unlike it.
The first few series by David Eddings (they got lame after awhile).
The King's Blade's Books (forget the author).
In addition to the originals, the new Dune (ie. House Attreides, House Harkonnen) are pretty good SF, if not as mystically good as the original.
For non-fiction: Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. If you're wondering a REAL (ie. intelligently non-racist) reason for our current geo-policitical and ethnic distribution of wealth and power.
BW
Originally by: Selim
Cool, congrats.
Oh, stupid idea by the way.
|

Ana Khouri
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 19:46:00 -
[46]
Edited by: Ana Khouri on 12/12/2003 19:48:36 Peter F. Hamilton (Reality Disfunction)specific:
Be sure to read his first trilogy, the Mindstar series ("Mindstar Rising", "A Quatum Murder", "The Nano Flower"), they are IMO even better than Reality Dysfunction.
"Fallen Dragon" is OK, the main char there seems like a cheap clone of the main from his first books though (mindstar trilogy)
And, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, do *not*, I repeat, do *not* get "Misspent Youth", his latest book. It's a verbal diarrhoe.
Sci-Fi:
Hyperion - Dan Simmons
Still one of the best (if not THE best) sci-fi books around. If you get it and like it be sure to order "the fall of hyperion" before you're halfway through the first book, because the story is continued there.
Books: "Hyperion" and "The Fall of Hyperion"; the later books "Endymion" and "The rise of Endymion" play in the same universe, but are only loosly connected to the Hyperion books.
Relevation Space - Alastair Reynolds
A lot of unique ideas, definatly not 08/15 sci-fi. Comes quite close to hyperion in quality.
5 so far - "Relevation Space", "Chasmn City", "Redemption Ark", "Diamond Dogs/Turquise Days", "Absolution Gap". "Relevation Space", "Redemption Ark" and "Absolution Gab" from the main storyline, the other 2 books play in the same universe, but are only loosly connected.
Fantasy:
Perdido Street Station - China Mieville
Guaranteed Elf, Dwarf and magical kingdom-less fanatasy. Highly innovative, highly non 08-15.
2 Books so far, "Perdido Street Station" and "The Scar". Both play in the same universe, but are not connected storywise.
The Black Company - Glen Cook
Epic and quite dark series, very good charakterisation
Quite lot of books stating with "The Black Company" - around 10 I think.
free speech not allowed here |

SGE Predator
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 19:54:00 -
[47]
Try "The Gap into" series by Stephen Donaldson. Book is about Space pirates, Police and Aliens ;) Right down EVEs alley.
|

Malikon
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 20:58:00 -
[48]
wow...a lot of great suggestions
re George RR Martin's A Game of Thrones, et al. this is indeed a superb series...it puts the wheel of time to shame. THIS IS A MUST READ if you haven't picked it up yet. just waiting on the next one
hyperion has gotten a lot of suggestions...i've seen it for the longest time but never picked it up but will do based on your suggestions.
i've read the Dune series (all six) although its been some time. the new ones disappointed me tremendously-stopped reading in the middle of house harkonen...i'm sorta tempted to pick up the ones dealing with the robot wars (grr...forgot the name)
read art of war...good stuff
will pick up more of hamilton's stuff based on the reviews.
surprised no one mentioned the foundation series
also surprised that someone mentioned the wheel of time...should've said WoT through book no. 6 because after that its just nonesense (sorry jordan fans).
keep the suggestions coming and thanks for the responses.
|

Artur Hawkwing
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 21:21:00 -
[49]
Edited by: Artur Hawkwing on 12/12/2003 21:21:53 I'm actually on book no. 6 and I don't believe you hehe     
|

Malikon
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 22:16:00 -
[50]
dude seriously...nos. 3 and 6 are the best of the bunch...1,2,4, and 5 are ok. anything after 6 just proves that jordan is a money grubbing SOB that is suffering from serious writer's block.
DO YOU KNOW HE HAS HAD THE NERVE TO WRITE A PREQUEL? A PREQUEL, WHEN THE DAMN SERIES IS NOT EVEN FINISHED!!!!!!!!   
|

Alenia Swift
|
Posted - 2003.12.12 22:28:00 -
[51]
Edited by: Alenia Swift on 13/12/2003 00:54:03 Fantasy type: David Gemmell (currently), Robin Hobb(Assasin Series is awesome, plus I'd like to be able to commune with my cat),Dave Duncan (King's Blades), personally I like Terry Goodkind (some say a ripoff of Robert Jordan, I think its a different perspective), and a whole bunch I can't remember. Fantasy Comedy: Terry Pratchett, and Simon R Green (Blue Moon is hilarious)
The Game of Thrones (George RR Martin) is definately better than Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan)
SF: Gotta read Heinlein and Clarke, also look into Greg Bear, Chris Bunch (HomeFall, Star Risk), Donaldson, the Star Wars series by Roger Zelany.
Military Fiction: Personally more into W E B Griffin than Tom Clancy but its a personal preference type of thing.
I usually read authors more than particular books. Having said that reading is a terrible habit that takes time away from EVE, pffft kids these days..........
|

Baronn Creel
|
Posted - 2003.12.13 00:23:00 -
[52]
Harry Turtledove, American Empire series
Alternate history where the Confederacy wins the American Civil War, is on the losing side of WW1, and develops into a fascist state in 1930s. Waiting for the next book in the series, which will start in 1934. Lt. JG Baronn Creel Combat Support
"This is my weapon, this is my gun. This is for killing, this is for fun" |

CLONE 9
|
Posted - 2003.12.13 01:10:00 -
[53]
Quote: "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K. ****
awsome book wich the movie "bladerunner" whit harrison ford is based on, any one that is a fan of dark future litterature whit a little bit of philosophy should read it.
Heheh I was going to say 'Valis' by the same author.
|

McWatt
|
Posted - 2003.12.13 10:39:00 -
[54]
c22 can t be recommended enough.
reading the silmarillion is a good idea, too.
and, just to give the filter some work, robin baker s book sperm wars is a must these days...
|

Arthur Guinness
|
Posted - 2003.12.13 10:53:00 -
[55]
Quote: Edited by: Fearigus Alba on 11/12/2003 20:25:52 Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson. I am still reading it, so far one of the best books I have read in a LONG time.
or Quicksilver .... really good read. btw yes from the same write, same style, luverly -- The worst thing you can do when suggesting a solution to a problem is to provide alternatives, people end up arguing the alternatives instead of implementing the fix. |

LiverpoolFC
|
Posted - 2003.12.13 11:11:00 -
[56]
Quote: "Red Storm Rising" by Tom Clancy
I read this book 4 or 5 times. Once you start it, you will not be able to put it down.
For Sci-Fi then I would suggest Internevtion by Julian May. If you like then there are two series of books based on the characters in intervention.
|

Tyria Evenstar
|
Posted - 2003.12.13 11:30:00 -
[57]
George RR Martin's A Game of Thrones definitely. Fantastic series, but the latest book's release date keeps getting pushed back and back. 
The beginning books of the Wheel of Time are pretty good, but start to loose cohesion in a big way in his more recent ones. (Latest book was real lame)
Robin Hobb's Assassin trilogy is pretty good as well. I've been reading the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind lately, and they're not bad either.
-Tyria.
|

Fearigus Alba
|
Posted - 2003.12.13 19:08:00 -
[58]
Just another one that I remembered after Misos' suggestions:
'The Forgotten Soldier' by Guy Sajer
Non-Fiction, the authors experience of WWII fighting as an Alsation (no, not the dog) for the Germans on the Eastern Front. I thought war was horrific until I read this. I cant think of any words to describe what this guy went through.
|

McWatt
|
Posted - 2003.12.13 21:03:00 -
[59]
Quote: Edited by: Miso on 12/12/2003 09:21:06 Wind Up Bird Chronicle
Good book on WW2
One of the best fictional accounts of war ever written
Sci fi Classic
Great allegorical short stories
Japanese classic
Enjoy!
i do. but a weird list for a girl, isn t it???
|

Xinder
|
Posted - 2003.12.14 03:57:00 -
[60]
a lot of really good reading listed here... I'd like to recomend "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett
|
| |
|
| Pages: 1 2 3 :: [one page] |