| Pages: 1 2 :: [one page] |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 4 post(s) |

Ticondrius
Gallente
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 14:56:00 -
[1]
First, linkage: fmod
I posted in the topic about this where Oveur stated that CCP is looking for a programmer to overhaul their sound engine, but since it was on page 7, figured it might not get seen where Oveur may be very interested in seeing this.
I have been using fmod for years now for little hobbist apps I have, and own a hobbyist license. I recently upgraded my license to fmod ex from fmod 3. It is a lightwieght and snappy audio engine. It is capable of running natively on many platforms, even down to the Wii if anyone cares. It's easily implemented in a few hours, followed by a day or two of testing at most. It supports OGG, so CCP can implement it without having to redo all the SFX/music first. CCP can use it to decompress OGG or MP3 to wav as an option to lighten CPU load on the client.
fmod is so light, in fact, that using it's win32 API is actually lighter on ram and CPU power than using Directsound's, not to mention more capable.
Furthermore, being that fmod has a native linux version, it takes the need to port or emulate the audio out of cedega, allowing linux users to use ALSA or OSS to play audio natively.
In the future, fmod ex will be capable of taking over EVE Voice operations internally, allowing EVE to become even more lightwieght for EVE Voice users by eliminating the existing EVE Voice code.
I dunno what else to say, Oveur. Click the link and read the rest for yourself. Fmod pwns, plain and simple.  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- RABBLE! RABBLERABBLE!! MMORPG: Many Men Online Role Playing Girls |

Corwain
Gallente Zero Team
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 15:13:00 -
[2]
Thing about programs like these are that they usually are restricted by their use license to non-commercial use.
|

Ticondrius
Gallente
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 15:15:00 -
[3]
Read the licensing terms. All CCP has to do is pay $3K USD and they can do anything they want with it on the Win32 platform. It pays to at least scan the site before commenting. ;) -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- RABBLE! RABBLERABBLE!! MMORPG: Many Men Online Role Playing Girls |

Takumi Sakura
Amarr The Sakura Syndicate
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 15:25:00 -
[4]
Edited by: Takumi Sakura on 30/04/2007 15:22:06 Or they could have their programming team develop their own sound system.. again and actually own it so when it comes to say the World of darkness MMORPG they can reuse it rather than having to rely on licensing and paying cash.
BTW look at the links page:
FMOD is used by over 400 companies in thousands of commercial and free games and applications.
CCP Games <-- in the links list
|

Ticondrius
Gallente
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 15:39:00 -
[5]
Interesting. It's not used in EVE, it's missing the fmod DLL. There is an audio.dll file, but it's not the right size. Maybe CCP is using fmod, but fmod 3 and not fmod ex? if so, I'd not be surprised terribly, the difference is like to MS-DOS vs Macintosh. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- RABBLE! RABBLERABBLE!! MMORPG: Many Men Online Role Playing Girls |
|

Redundancy

|
Posted - 2007.04.30 16:44:00 -
[6]
Edited by: Redundancy on 30/04/2007 16:42:31 We already use FMOD, but I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't been updated much from the version that we had when we first got it.
Edit: I'll amend that to "I'm pretty sure we already..." - the guy that I could check that with isn't around at the moment.
|
|

Ticondrius
Gallente
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 16:46:00 -
[7]
Then you guys don't need a new sound system. You just need to upgrade to fmod ex. The difference is night vs day my friend. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- RABBLE! RABBLERABBLE!! MMORPG: Many Men Online Role Playing Girls |
|

Redundancy

|
Posted - 2007.04.30 16:47:00 -
[8]
Edited by: Redundancy on 30/04/2007 16:44:00 I'm think that's what's being done at the moment by the guy we got to work on sound.
|
|

Janu Hull
Caldari Order of Z Industries
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 16:50:00 -
[9]
Any idea on when its to be delivered? I'd love to turn hardware acceleration back on without the game sounds crashing me to desktop every 15 minutes.
This is my sig, there are many others just like it. With me, my sig is worthless. Without (or with even) my sig, I am worthless... |

Jim McGregor
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 16:58:00 -
[10]
I like the sound of this.
--- Eve Wiki | Eve Tribune |
|

CCP Greyscale

|
Posted - 2007.04.30 17:03:00 -
[11]
Originally by: Jim McGregor
I like the sound of this.
WAH wah waaaaaah...
-10 points for the terrible pun, try harder
|
|

Arathian Evasion
Amarr The Dapper Bandits
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 17:04:00 -
[12]
Originally by: CCP Greyscale
Originally by: Jim McGregor
I like the sound of this.
WAH wah waaaaaah...
-10 points for the terrible pun, try harder
Seems like a sound plan to me...
|

Karash Amerius
Amarr O.E.C Legionnaire Services Ltd.
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 17:08:00 -
[13]
Sounds great.
Merc Blog |

Dark Shikari
Caldari Imperium Technologies Firmus Ixion
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 17:09:00 -
[14]
Originally by: Arathian Evasion
Originally by: CCP Greyscale
Originally by: Jim McGregor I like the sound of this.
WAH wah waaaaaah...
-10 points for the terrible pun, try harder
Seems like a sound plan to me...
It may sound sound, but the soundness may not be fully sound.
--23 Member--
Listen to EVE-Trance Radio! |

Willow Whisp
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 17:15:00 -
[15]
Sounds like a Templar...
I'm the alt of the main that the forums picked, and i can't be arsed to go through the "settings" page to change it back, k? |

Ashturi Nagano
Mantigen Quanta
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 17:15:00 -
[16]
SOUND SOUND SOUND SOUND SOUND SOU...oh, wait. That's not what we're doing, is it? Was this supposed to be substantive?
Uh...sound would be nice.
|

Jim McGregor
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 17:17:00 -
[17]
Originally by: CCP Greyscale
Originally by: Jim McGregor
I like the sound of this.
WAH wah waaaaaah...
-10 points for the terrible pun, try harder
Thats OK, I have lots of points. I just cant seem to get to them very often.  --- Eve Wiki | Eve Tribune |

Pilk
Axiom Empire
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 17:29:00 -
[18]
Sorry, I'm just now TUNING IN, but I don't appreciate the TONE of this conversation. The VOLUME of puns is so high that their FREQUENCY is quite painful.
That said, if you get sound working, that'd be music to my ears.
--P
|
|

Suvetar
Forum Moderator Interstellar Services Department

|
Posted - 2007.04.30 17:30:00 -
[19]
I guess I should take more Note of this thread 
forum rules | [email protected] | Our new Website! |
|

Di Jiensai
Gallente Domination.
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 17:32:00 -
[20]
I think this Thread might become a resounding success  |

000Hunter000
Gallente Magners Marauders
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 17:33:00 -
[21]
Edited by: 000Hunter000 on 30/04/2007 17:30:37
Originally by: Willow Whisp Sounds like a Templar...
Bad sounding jokes 4TL, and please don't get them started on the Templar, u know... the Amarrian fighter?
EDIT: but seriously, whats wrong with the EVE sound? seems to run fine?
|

Caol
The Nest Interstellar Alcohol Conglomerate
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 17:33:00 -
[22]
Originally by: Suvetar I guess I should take more Note of this thread 
If you locked this thread, what key would open it?
|

Dark Shikari
Caldari Imperium Technologies Firmus Ixion
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 17:34:00 -
[23]
Edited by: Dark Shikari on 30/04/2007 17:30:55
Originally by: Pilk Sorry, I'm just now TUNING IN, but I don't appreciate the TONE of this conversation. The VOLUME of puns is so high that their FREQUENCY is quite painful.
That said, if you get sound working, that'd be music to my ears.
--P
Win  
You deserve a crescendo of applause for your arpeggiated use of musical puns. The jokes are a fitting motif for your phrases.
--23 Member--
Listen to EVE-Trance Radio! |

Jim McGregor
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 17:35:00 -
[24]
Originally by: Caol
Originally by: Suvetar I guess I should take more Note of this thread 
If you locked this thread, what key would open it?
The same one. --- Eve Wiki | Eve Tribune |

Arathian Evasion
Amarr The Dapper Bandits
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 17:36:00 -
[25]
No, the real question is...
If this thread fell in the forums and no one was there to read it, would it make a sound?
|

Roshan longshot
Gallente Ordos Humanitas FREGE Alliance
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 17:37:00 -
[26]
Eve-online has sound???
Free-form Professions, ensure no limetations on professions. Be a trader, fighter, industialist, researcher, hunter pirate or mixture of them all.
[i]As read from the original box.
|

Caol
The Nest Interstellar Alcohol Conglomerate
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 17:41:00 -
[27]
Originally by: Jim McGregor
Originally by: Caol
Originally by: Suvetar I guess I should take more Note of this thread 
If you locked this thread, what key would open it?
The same one.
Key, musical key, goddamit ><
|

MellaRinn
Exit 13 Anarchy Empire
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 17:42:00 -
[28]
this chimes music in my eve-sound-deprived audigy card \o/
Click |

VaderDSL
Caldari Incoherent Inc
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 17:44:00 -
[29]
This thread is music to my ears, I haven't had sound enabled in Eve for over 2 years now. BIG Lottery |

Ticondrius
Gallente
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 18:35:00 -
[30]
allegro allegro al fine. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- RABBLE! RABBLERABBLE!! MMORPG: Many Men Online Role Playing Girls |

Gabrielle Black
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 19:35:00 -
[31]
Originally by: Janu Hull Any idea on when its to be delivered? I'd love to turn hardware acceleration back on without the game sounds crashing me to desktop every 15 minutes.
Aye, it'd be nice if they could pick up the tempo on this.
|

Viper G
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 19:43:00 -
[32]
Edited by: Viper G on 30/04/2007 19:39:21 I'm actually using Fmod ex right now im my game I'm making -> Black Sky
I was actually using OpenAL at first, and it was working good and all, but after i found fmod i was like, omg i think i should switch. Me being an indie I only have to pay $100 if I decided to sell my game, and as long as I don't use mp3's, so I will use oggs.
|

Liang Nuren
Red 42 CORE.
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 20:31:00 -
[33]
FMOD Ex gonna keep my PC from rebooting every time I turn on an armor rep in Eve? =) (Seriously, I'm a professional programmer asking about stability.)
Liang My opinions are my own, and do not in any way reflect the beliefs of my corp/alliance. |

Ticondrius
Gallente
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 20:45:00 -
[34]
I used fmod ex to make a personal audio player for Windows and Linux that can also convert formats if I need. If you think that SOUNDS wonderful, I probably don't even use the half of it's capabilities. Perhaps it needs a more talented programmer to FIDDLE with it and make it SING. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- RABBLE! RABBLERABBLE!! MMORPG: Many Men Online Role Playing Girls |

James Snowscoran
Coreli Corporation Corelum Syndicate
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 20:54:00 -
[35]
If you ask me, I think we just need some peace and harmony. -----
|

Shiner BockBeer
Go Go Gadget ForumPostingAlt
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 21:04:00 -
[36]
The pain...
Make it stop...
|

Thuul'Khalat
Gallente Phoenix Wing
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 21:34:00 -
[37]
EVE has sound? ---
We are Recruiting! |

Namingway
Important Yet Underrated Video Game Characters
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 21:46:00 -
[38]
The Orchestration of bad jokes in this thread shows that players need to conduct themselves better.
|

Per Bastet
Amarr B.O.O.M
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 22:35:00 -
[39]
well as long as everyone is keeping time, and not loosing their place, they are welcome to practice their talent as much as they want.
|

voogru
Gallente Massive Damage
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 22:42:00 -
[40]
There is sound in EVE? 
|

Pilk
Axiom Empire
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 22:43:00 -
[41]
Originally by: Dark Shikari Edited by: Dark Shikari on 30/04/2007 17:30:55
Originally by: Pilk Sorry, I'm just now TUNING IN, but I don't appreciate the TONE of this conversation. The VOLUME of puns is so high that their FREQUENCY is quite painful.
That said, if you get sound working, that'd be music to my ears.
--P
Win  
You deserve a crescendo of applause for your arpeggiated use of musical puns. The jokes are a fitting motif for your phrases.
A fitting coda for the thread.
--P
|

Noobcorp Alt
|
Posted - 2007.04.30 23:09:00 -
[42]
If this thread were a comical musical.. trust me, it would really suck.
|

Merritt
|
Posted - 2007.05.01 01:07:00 -
[43]
BASS.
But I'm slightly biased and couldn't give a rat's ass about Linux, so... hey. =]
|

Gygax
Caldari Free Corp
|
Posted - 2007.05.01 12:31:00 -
[44]
Do not "b#" Do not "b♭" Just "b♮"
hopefully that will render out ok on most browsers....
|

Rico Naginata
Wings of Redemption Black Flag Alliance
|
Posted - 2007.05.01 12:41:00 -
[45]
Originally by: Ticondrius First, linkage: fmod
I posted in the topic about this where Oveur stated that CCP is looking for a programmer to overhaul their sound engine, but since it was on page 7, figured it might not get seen where Oveur may be very interested in seeing this.
I have been using fmod for years now for little hobbist apps I have, and own a hobbyist license. I recently upgraded my license to fmod ex from fmod 3. It is a lightwieght and snappy audio engine. It is capable of running natively on many platforms, even down to the Wii if anyone cares. It's easily implemented in a few hours, followed by a day or two of testing at most. It supports OGG, so CCP can implement it without having to redo all the SFX/music first. CCP can use it to decompress OGG or MP3 to wav as an option to lighten CPU load on the client.
fmod is so light, in fact, that using it's win32 API is actually lighter on ram and CPU power than using Directsound's, not to mention more capable.
Furthermore, being that fmod has a native linux version, it takes the need to port or emulate the audio out of cedega, allowing linux users to use ALSA or OSS to play audio natively.
In the future, fmod ex will be capable of taking over EVE Voice operations internally, allowing EVE to become even more lightwieght for EVE Voice users by eliminating the existing EVE Voice code.
I dunno what else to say, Oveur. Click the link and read the rest for yourself. Fmod pwns, plain and simple. 
Aha! Well You've changed Your Tune!
|

James Duar
Merch Industrial We Are Nice Guys
|
Posted - 2007.05.01 14:02:00 -
[46]
When this is done it'd be really great if the sound guy would write a dev blog which gives the ****ographic details of what the hell was wrong with the sound engine.
|

MissileRus
|
Posted - 2007.05.01 14:19:00 -
[47]
isnt it better that CCP slaps its sound coders and gets a real sound engine done with 20.4 THX surround etc(zomg), that hardly use any system resources?
or maybe this thingy is better then making their own badass sound engine?
perhaps that was the whole point.. but isnt a uber "custom" engine built for eve prefered then a 3rd party engine? you can do so mutch more so mutch better and change it when needed etc..
--------------------------- 4. i like pizza |

ry ry
StateCorp
|
Posted - 2007.05.01 15:10:00 -
[48]
white noise thread imo.
|

Petite Pierre
Black Nova Corp Band of Brothers
|
Posted - 2007.05.01 15:21:00 -
[49]
Most people I know play EvE with sound off, as do I, ever since 2004.
audio=0 eveampGain=0.0 evevoiceGain=0.0 masterVolume=0.0 music=stop
These would be the necessary precautions. --------------------
|

Makup
Pod.
|
Posted - 2007.05.01 15:46:00 -
[50]
Since when did eve get sound added? :|
|

Winterblink
Body Count Inc. Mercenary Coalition
|
Posted - 2007.05.01 16:00:00 -
[51]
Originally by: Makup Since when did eve get sound added? :|
What, the audio tab in the preferences doesn't... ring a bell? :)
*cymbal crash*
|
| |
|
| Pages: 1 2 :: [one page] |