| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

BIRDofPREY
Minmatar KDM Corp Firmus Ixion
|
Posted - 2007.06.27 22:18:00 -
[1]
Edited by: BIRDofPREY on 27/06/2007 22:19:40 Today is my (EVE) Birthday. I am 4 years old.
That being the case, I thought it would be fun to mark the occasion by commenting on the state of EVE, then and now.
When I first started EVE, I was very pleased with the overall effect that the universe had, though I didn't give it much of a chance to survive longer than a year or so. At that time it was amazing to see a whole 3000 players on at any given time and the EVE universe was huge and mostly uninhabited. There was very little a person could do to earn isk other than mining, ratting, or taking it away from someone else. My character has a whole 17K of skillpoints when I started in Hulm.
The heavy players at the time were the m0o, who were the terrors of EVE. Lord Zapp was whispered in dark places and everyone headed in the other direction when it was rumored that m0o were in the next system over. The m0o were the masters of exploits. If there was a small gap in the rules that govern the EVE universe, The m0o found it and profited from it. You can thank The m0o for what EVE is today.
People today complain of lag, but they don't know what lag is. I can recall warping to a gate, starting my approach, then warping to the gate again.... Then again... I had to relog on that one.
Then there was splash damage. The idea here is that a missile exploded and splatters everyone in range with shrapnel. I like this alot as it kept you thinking when you popped a heavy at someone. You didn't use a missile at a rat or a player at a gate out of fear splash damage would trigger the gate guns and you'd be podding it back to the station. This cost me membership in my first corp.
At that time you could fit torpedos aon pretty much anyship that had a launcher. During a mining op, I had my shiny new rifter and hard learned torp' skills to try on the first rat that shown itself. Boldly a rat spawned and began its run at our operation and I told everyone to watch... I launched my torpedo with no regard to the distance the rat was at and POW, I podded three of my corpmates and blew all our jetcans full of omber. I was out of the corp before I even got back to the station.
My goal was a Raven, and I worked hard for that ship. It was THEE ubber ship of EVE then, and a fine ship in the right hands now. I mined and hoarded minerals, bought BPC's and ratted in my stabber in 0.0, when you could rat in 0.0 in a stabber. Got my friends to play, started a corp and had a roaring good time. When I finished my Raven, we had a bit of a launching party and I paraded it in Hulm and used it as a recruiting tool to get more to join.
Then one patch day it all went wrong. Day before a patch, I was ratting in 0.0 just fine... day after patch day, my hard earned raven, burned down by a hoard of NPC's. I got to tell you that one hurt. I learned that patch day is a day to be respected.
I've been in a dozen corps and 3 alliances and a dozen Ravens since then. I've seen players come and go, felt the sting of the nerf bat and adapted. I've been a carebear, miner, pirate, merchant, manufacture, and Fleet member.
The EVE universe is fuller now, the m0o have moved on, splash damage is gone, so are most of the Empire astroid belts to fleets of covetors. (law of unintended consequences?) Mission runners and waring alliances are King. (and thank the Dev's for that)
My favorite moment was about 2 years ago, when some jerk was bragging in local about how he bought his Raven on ebay for $200. (remember when a million was a lot of isk?) and it frosted my butt to listen to him. Only he just happen to undock in lowsec in the middle of a fleet battle and got podded. He was letting a stream of vindictive is some slavic language. I didn't understand the actual words, but I understood the meaning.
Frustration, agravation and anger is just EVE's way of saying you are playing the game to the fullist |

Frug
Zenithal Harvest
|
Posted - 2007.06.27 22:24:00 -
[2]
And that is the best way to deal with all the ebay buyers. Oooh you spent 200 bucks to buy... oh... nm. it's dead. :P
- - - - - - - - - Do not use dotted lines - - - - - - - If you think I'm awesome, say BOOO BOOO!! - Ductoris Neat look what I found - Kreul Hey, my marbles |

Chucky
Confederation of Red Moon Red Moon Federation
|
Posted - 2007.06.27 22:39:00 -
[3]
Nobody sent me a present for my birthday
... you will see more and more marketing which in turn will bring you more players to torture. |

Glengrant
Minmatar TOHA Heavy Industries FROST Alliance
|
Posted - 2007.06.27 22:39:00 -
[4]
Edited by: Glengrant on 27/06/2007 22:39:52
Originally by: BIRDofPREY Today is my (EVE) Birthday. I am 4 years old.
Happy eve-birthday. :-) Mine was in may. ;-)
Originally by: BIRDofPREY The heavy players at the time were the m0o, who were the terrors of EVE. Lord Zapp was whispered in dark places and everyone headed in the other direction when it was rumored that m0o were in the next system over. The m0o were the masters of exploits. If there was a small gap in the rules that govern the EVE universe, The m0o found it and profited from it. You can thank The m0o for what EVE is today.
M0o were fun to have as a problem. I miss them - sort of. :-)
Originally by: BIRDofPREY People today complain of lag, but they don't know what lag is. I can recall warping to a gate, starting my approach, then warping to the gate again.... Then again... I had to relog on that one.
Overall lag is about the same I'd say - but with 30k pilots instead of 3k. Sometimes more, sometimes less. It's just that nowadays it takes hundreds of ships while in the early days it only took a couple dozen.
Originally by: BIRDofPREY Then one patch day it all went wrong. Day before a patch, I was ratting in 0.0 just fine... day after patch day, my hard earned raven, burned down by a hoard of NPC's. I got to tell you that one hurt. I learned that patch day is a day to be respected.
Castor. The day the ships died - by the hundreds. The ship destruction view on the map never again showed as many destroyed ships all over the map in such a short time. It was only a Moa in my case. :-) Well - the release notes mentioned something about rats getting upgraded - I guess we should have taken that seriously. ;-)
Originally by: BIRDofPREY The EVE universe is fuller now, the m0o have moved on, splash damage is gone, so are most of the Empire astroid belts to fleets of covetors. (law of unintended consequences?) Mission runners and waring alliances are King. (and thank the Dev's for that)
And it's still great. But I miss M0o making headlines when they moved into a new region. I also miss Jade.
I don't miss everybody having hundreds if not thousands of instajump BMs. And after 4 years we no have asset search for corps at last. :-)
Glengrant
|

synK
Caldari Red Knight Rakkasans
|
Posted - 2007.06.27 22:45:00 -
[5]
thanks for the story, was a good eve. im over 2 now. i remember Wowing at 9k people hehe this is my sig |

Brolly
Caldari Templars of Space Sparta Alliance
|
Posted - 2007.06.27 22:45:00 -
[6]
Gratz, i'm not going to be 4 for another 6 months, the memories have been great this far though.
Hope you have another funky 4 
|

Managalar
Gallente The Mighty All Blacks
|
Posted - 2007.06.27 22:49:00 -
[7]
Gratz on the 4 years. I'm curious if you've played other games in that time? I've taken all kinds of breaks that involved other games, Halo, FF12, and currently Oblivion for my PS3. Strange thing is that I keep wanting to grind isk in high sec, CCP keeps adding mission content, and I love it. =====================
===================== |

Juni Starfire
Australia and New Zealand Eve Corp
|
Posted - 2007.06.27 23:01:00 -
[8]
Thanks for the entertaining story BoP, I have only been playing on and off for 18 months and Im a bit sorry I didnt stick with EVE when I first came across it over 2 years ago. I can really relate though after playing UO for right on 6 years. Sticking around for the long haul pays all sorts of dividends. Congrats and Happy Birthday  ++-------------------------------------++ IM A UBER PRO PWNER TRAPPED IN THE BODY OF A NOOB |

Waxau
Amarr Liberty Rogues
|
Posted - 2007.06.27 23:16:00 -
[9]
Ill be 4 in 6 months too ^^ But sadly, not with my current char :( My old one met a sorry end >.<
But damn has eve changed. Without putting a dampner on anything.....can you imagine what peoples whines would be if eve was reverted back to 2003 for a day? 
|

Glengrant
Minmatar TOHA Heavy Industries FROST Alliance
|
Posted - 2007.06.27 23:30:00 -
[10]
Originally by: Waxau can you imagine what peoples whines would be if eve was reverted back to 2003 for a day? 
No worries - in those days whining skill wasn't available in market yet. ;-)
There would be threads about the 15 vs 15 ship battle that was lagged to hell and back and people threatening to quit over that.
Nothing changed. :-)
|

Plasmatique
Caldari DAB RAZOR Alliance
|
Posted - 2007.06.28 00:09:00 -
[11]
It was 4 years for me last month, happy birthday to you
Lost my first blackbird to lord zap in mara
Believe it or not, but I still have my very first raven, it's got to be over 3 years old 
|
| |
|
| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |