| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Zarthan
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 16:26:00 -
[1]
Quote: Hellmar has posted a blog about new insurance on all ships. Ships will now get 40% cover automatically.
Reduced death penalty
We have released a server update to TQ that gives all ships that explode, without having insurance, 40% default coverage. The motivation behind this change is to reduce the loss of new players that havenĘt yet realized the importance of insurance. Loosing your top frigate or new cruiser, that you spent your last isk on, is way to close to permanent death.
This shouldnĘt affect high level game play that much, as most have insurance. Buying insurance is still economically viable as the worst insurance deal is 50% and the price of it is less than the difference of a 40% default coverage and 50%. Premium insurance contracts are also still viable.
hmm might be ok but maybe it should be super cheap instead of free . _______________________________________________________ Get custom sigs and graphics done here Unforgivn Website
|

Joshua Calvert
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 16:37:00 -
[2]
I can see hellmar's point - if you can afford a BS you can easily afford the insurance so putting this feature in isn't that big a deal.
Nice little comfort zone for forgetful players 
LEEEEERRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! |

Joshua Calvert
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 16:38:00 -
[3]
Although, having said that, I've never insured a cruiser so that's going to be new.
LEEEEERRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! |

Discorporation
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 16:52:00 -
[4]
What a silly change.
Anybody flying a Frigate can easily make the cash to insure his ship. Anybody flying a Cruiser can easily make the cash to insure his ship. Anybody flying a Battleship can easily make the cash to insure his ship.
Either reverse this change or take insurance back to being valid for one week only.
Eve neads a bigger death penalty, not a smaller one.
[Heterocephalus glaber]
|

Schani Kratnorr
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 16:58:00 -
[5]
Quote: What a silly change.
Anybody flying a Frigate can easily make the cash to insure his ship. Anybody flying a Cruiser can easily make the cash to insure his ship. Anybody flying a Battleship can easily make the cash to insure his ship.
Either reverse this change or take insurance back to being valid for one week only.
Eve neads a bigger death penalty, not a smaller one.
Agreed. One thing - like about EVE is that things that get blown up are "gone". This introduces logistics as an important part of any fighting machine, there should never be any such thing as "default insurance".
If changes should be introduced, they should probably be to remove the NPC driven insurance scemes altogether, and let player corporations run them instead. While they are at it perhaps they could introduce IOU's allowing some sort of banking business to occur as well (lonesharks anyone?)
The point I am trying to make is that I think that as much as possible should be player driven, and not run by NPCs who by default seem braindead... -- "I am an expert in not caring. The trick is to stop giving a rat's ass about anyone else and start thinking about what YOU want, what YOU diserve, what the world ows YOU!" - Bender |

Hardin
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 17:13:00 -
[6]
Oh I don't know...
The basic insurance atm is 50% and tbh that never came near coverng cost of ship particularly when you included modules.
Anyone with half a brain would therefore not just rely on default insurance... Only people who woll prolly rely on it will be noobs who dont know any better and if getting a 'little' cash back helps them stay in the game then all the better...
Who knows this may even encourage more people to PvP.
Whatever happens I don't think this change would have a dramatic impact on the game so hope this is not another one of those 'storms in a teacup'.
Lets not exaggerate the effect of this before it has even be introduced and make a mountain out of a molehill as so many tend to do everytime any change is announced!
|

Negotiator
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 17:15:00 -
[7]
what hardin said
|

Joshua Calvert
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 17:17:00 -
[8]
Hardin STOLE everything I was going to say!
LEEEEERRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! |

Morlock
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 17:18:00 -
[9]
"Eve neads a bigger death penalty, not a smaller one"
not if you want the game to grow it doesn't. anyway this is just a noob hand holding thing, its not like CCP is verant holding onto some painful psychotic "vision" or anything. people who lose a few hours worth of work get annoyed but chalk it up to experience, people who lose a weeks worth of work cancel their accounts because its a pain in the a$$ to go through all of that effort again - this is meant to be play not work
|

Discorporation
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 17:21:00 -
[10]
I think this only encourages people to behave more 'stupidly'.
I'm all for more pvp, don't get me wrong, but I prefer the education of new players over this =|
[Heterocephalus glaber]
|

Discorporation
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 17:22:00 -
[11]
Quote: "Eve neads a bigger death penalty, not a smaller one"
not if you want the game to grow it doesn't. anyway this is just a noob hand holding thing, its not like CCP is verant holding onto some painful psychotic "vision" or anything. people who lose a few hours worth of work get annoyed but chalk it up to experience, people who lose a weeks worth of work cancel their accounts because its a pain in the a$$ to go through all of that effort again - this is meant to be play not work
Yeah I know, but with a little education they'd have known about the insurance thing and about the risks of dying = Anyway, I'll be quiet now :(
[Heterocephalus glaber]
|

Hakera
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 17:22:00 -
[12]
Edited by: Hakera on 14/02/2004 17:23:52
Quote: Eve neads a bigger death penalty, not a smaller one
lets get rid of clones - you die - so does your character! 
what Hardin said.
Dumbledore - Eve-I.com |

Joshua Calvert
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 17:22:00 -
[13]
Quote: I think this only encourages people to behave more 'stupidly'.
I'm all for more pvp, don't get me wrong, but I prefer the education of new players over this =|
Let them learn by their mistakes - hell, the 40% cover is likely to encourage people to try pvp in a cruiser first and that's always the best way to learn.
LEEEEERRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! |

Kilhu Emmek
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 17:24:00 -
[14]
I'm actually such a PvP hardass I like the idea of permadeath. Though I know that's crazy.
... this is probably predictable now, but I really have to say I dislike the 40% insurance thing. It detracts from the "realness" of the game for me, and it's going to slow down corporate and alliance wars quite a bit.
I guess it's done to encourage new players and PvP, but it just feels like it's putting the whole universe on training wheels.
Gradient is hiring. Read our Code of Conduct before applying.
|

Hardin
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 17:46:00 -
[15]
Quote: Hardin STOLE everything I was going to say!
I am sorry Josh... truly I am 
|

Durandal
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 18:04:00 -
[16]
Edited by: Durandal on 14/02/2004 18:05:22
Quote: I guess it's done to encourage new players and PvP, but it just feels like it's putting the whole universe on training wheels.
I can't see that it has been done to increase PvP. If anyone is going to PvP they are likely to be insuring their ship anyway. What it seems to be aimed at (and why I like it) is the very new player who doesn't realise the importance of insurance.
If after 2 weeks of playing from scratch someone is doing mining/agent missions and has got themselves a cruiser, and then a few half decent modules for it, they tend to go exploring a bit. If said player then happens to get destroyed and lose pretty much everything its "screw this, I just wasted 2 weeks, cancel account". This default 40% insurance still causes them grief, but actually educates them...and from then on in they get insurance. It is encouraging the growth of the player base by sheltering the n00bs, which can only be a good thing.
To be honest, I can't see that this will have any significant impact on any of us posting in this thread, an certainly doesn't put us all on training wheels.
Oh, and Discorporation, I also disagree that anyone who has a certain class of ship can automatically afford to insure it. When I first got a battleship (and in fact when I got my first cruiser) way back whenever, it took me a few days to insure it properly....and those days were spent mining/farming to get the isk. During this time you are at risk of considerable loss. Once you have insured a battleship for the first time you should be ok as your earning rate increases substantially, but I pity anyone who is destroyed in those first few days....would be game over, and hence the new default insurance.
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right!"
|

Steini OFSI
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 18:10:00 -
[17]
Remove insurance payout for self destructing people.
|

Tassadar Beta
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 18:14:00 -
[18]
Edited by: Tassadar Beta on 14/02/2004 18:15:43
Quote: Lets not exaggerate the effect of this before it has even be introduced and make a mountain out of a molehill as so many tend to do everytime any change is announced!
It already in the game 
|

Archemedes
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 18:29:00 -
[19]
Quote: Remove insurance payout for self destructing people.
Why?
Getting a new ship and re-insuring it costs more than the insurance payout (and has for some time, thanks to more expensive rare minerals driving up ship costs). If someone wants to toss a couple million ISK out the airlock who am I to argue with them? 
|

Judicator
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 18:34:00 -
[20]
I think the change is good. If it help new players easier recup from their mistake, not buying insurance for instance, I am all for it.
EVE has a steep learning curve and there are many pitfalls. Some might decide it is worth it to just keep the basic 40% insurance and others buy a bigger one.
I see no harm to the game by this feature nor do I see any reason why it shoudl encourage more PvP. IIRC basic insurance on a Thorax is 300,000 ISK or so, not much really, and as long as you recup more this way than keeping the free insurance I'll pay it.
In term of RP let us just RP it is included with every ship purchase -------------------------
|

Aerick Dawn
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 18:55:00 -
[21]
during times of war, I am always insuring my ships no matter what they are one notch below platinum.
I must have lost 15 frigates during the last war doing high risk lockdown/breakthrough ops. The insurance definitely takes the sting out of it, even with frigs. When it lasts for 3 weeks, it is worth it because you can easily recoup insurance cost during that time. ______________________
What Aerick has been up to lately.. |

Kovak
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 18:57:00 -
[22]
I think the learning curve at the start is such that people are bound to miss insuring their ships. I mean a noob is likely to get into trouble the first time they go npc farming in a to dangerous system or get ganked by a pirate. Either way they probably weren't expecting it and hadn't planned for it. If you think back to when you started the game and you lost your first cruiser at a time when that was alot of work... you'd probably be ****ed too :)
I remember warping in on a wreck I was looking for and ending up next to 7 odd cruiser pirates, getting my self torn to bits and escaping with a shred of hull left. That was with my first thorax, and taught me two things, exploring in an expensive ship is a really *dumb* idea and that insurance was my friend. People are gonna learn the same, its just gonna make learning it easier :)
I think its a good idea, I'm just dubious as to whether it should extend to battleships. Frigates, indi's, cruisers yes but I don't think you can be a noob (this is gonna start a flame war I can see it coming) if they fly a bs.
|

Homo Ergaster
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 20:11:00 -
[23]
it's a stupid idea, as I've said in the actual devblog thread.
ppl dying to bugs shouldn't need this, because ppl should be running logserver if they want their crap back after a bug.
newbies can have a pop up warning them about leaving a station without insuring a ship, but that's it.
if this goes in, it will be just one more step in a stairwell of softeners designed to make ccp more money and kill off the original vision of eve.
death hurts. hell, i'd be up for introducing a shock system irl ;[
YOU DIE, YOU GET A 12V SHOCK ON YOUR TONGUE.
OOPS, WON'T DO THAT AGAIN. |

Joshua Calvert
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 20:26:00 -
[24]
Those square batteries would be good for that..........
LEEEEERRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! |

ElCoCo
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 20:34:00 -
[25]
I think it's a good addition.
Eve is supposed to be fun...
Frankly most of the time it isn't. Long trips, slow learning curve and devastating death penalties compared to other games.
However the thrills you sometimes get overcompensate the fun feeling.
I'm glad it's in although I always insure my ships. The casual player that would lose a weeks work of getting a better ship will be most grateful. It hardly affects high lvl gaming as hellmar said.
This is a game, have fun, not torture
|

Cpt Pugwash
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 20:40:00 -
[26]
Edited by: Cpt Pugwash on 14/02/2004 20:45:18 Just one more nudge toward the remaining 'ransom' pirates to take up ganking.
I am going to get some 'I was robbed by PAK' T-shirts made up, maybe then people will still be willing to pay a toll

|

Torvus Jay
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 20:48:00 -
[27]
This is a silly idea.
I can understand them wanting to help new players but if that is the case simple make it dependent on the characters time ingame ie. they get this 40% insurance deal for 1 month, which is time enough to learn the game and get there first cruiser. This certainly hurts the ransom pirates because ppl are less likely to pay a ransom if unisured since they will get a payout. Often times the only ones who pay are those that are uninsured. It is also hurting the realism (relative to other mmo) that eve has been great at.
Changes looklike they are going towards CS in space rather than mmo space simulator with RP. ______________
Aim careful, and look the devil in the eye. |

Bosie
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 21:14:00 -
[28]
Quote: if you can afford a BS you can easily afford the insurance

Yeh the 20-30 million is easy to make if you are a 1.0 BS miner. But for those of us who fly in 0.0 and only fight other players getting that ISK = at least 1.5 million per day. And that's only if your BS survives the three weeks.
Bosie.
http://bosie.proboards40.com/ http://zeroimpact.co.uk/evemap
|

Majin Buu
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 21:41:00 -
[29]
the new insurance is going to give the market alittle boost as people will have more isk to spend 
BoB KillBoard |

Steini OFSI
|
Posted - 2004.02.14 21:56:00 -
[30]
Quote:
Quote: Remove insurance payout for self destructing people.
Why?
Getting a new ship and re-insuring it costs more than the insurance payout (and has for some time, thanks to more expensive rare minerals driving up ship costs). If someone wants to toss a couple million ISK out the airlock who am I to argue with them? 
Because I ransom ship for living and some of them blow themselves up (witch in most cases doesn't work we still manage to kill and get their modules and cargo).
|
| |
|
| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |