| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Endless Subversion
|
Posted - 2007.12.11 03:01:00 -
[1]
I'm going to be upgrading my gaming system to a much more powerful setup.
One of the points I'm still debating is whether or not to go vista and whether or not to go 32 bit or 64 bit.
I'd really appreciate some feedback from other users playing eve while running 64 bit Vista. Is everything compatible? How about your other programs/games in general. Is 64 bit Vista well supported with drivers etc to keep everything going smoothly?
Really appreciate feedback!
|

Dark Shikari
Caldari Imperium Technologies Firmus Ixion
|
Posted - 2007.12.11 05:15:00 -
[2]
I've found 64-bit support is still pretty immature in general and not worth the hassle. There are success stories, of course, but the hassle one encounters every once in a while is generally not worth the minimal speed increase.
Just stick with 32-bit XP and you'll be fine.
23 Member
EVE Video makers: save bandwidth! Use the H.264 AutoEncoder! (updated) |

Ocularis
Refuge of the Damned
|
Posted - 2007.12.11 12:37:00 -
[3]
eve works fine for me under vista 64. has done since day one. there might be small snippets of software you run related to eve but I have not had any problems.
A lot of people have a good dig about vista, but thats cos they are IT muppets that cant use google to solve any issues they dont like!  
The only real problem ive had with vista 64 was iTunes support - you need to get some additional free driver software for your pc to get it to burn to cd, but thats an easy fix. Also one of my motherboard software addons wont install at all... but not the end of the world.
|

Amida Ta
|
Posted - 2007.12.11 22:27:00 -
[4]
As long as the software does not install special device drivers (like CD/DVD Burners or Virusscanners) basically everything will work on 64bit as good as on 32bit, sometimes better.
Have a XP x64 for more than three years now and never ever looked back...
|

Jabezhane
|
Posted - 2007.12.12 11:10:00 -
[5]
Yes indeed Eve works just fine with Vista64. I installed Home Basic 64bit a couple of months ago ant it installed just fine on my setup. I made sure I had downloaded as many current 64bit drivers as I could before I installed it though and put those on afterwards.
Why Home Basic? Well I'm one of those old fashioned folks that think that an OS should just be a layer that purely allows me to run the apps I want to run, not stuff someone else thinks I should be. Gamers should want a stripped down setup with just 33 or so processes running in the background rather than 87??
It has all the functionality of XP and then some, so its fine with me. Managed with a little tweaking to get it to sit in 600Mb too. Yes I have 2Gb installed.
One other tip though. If you have two hardrives in your PC make sure you disconnect the secondary drive. Vista has a habit of putting the boot details on the second drive rather then the drive you install it on. Why? I have no idea it just does.
|

Tkar vonBiggendorf
Gallente Snake Eyes Inc Rule of Three
|
Posted - 2007.12.13 23:53:00 -
[6]
Pre-Trinity, I tried Vista 64. The EVE client would occassionally "freeze" for a few seconds (sometimes 10 or 15) then just start working again. Always at opportune moments, like just when you're about to run out of shields and engage your armor tank. Went back to XP, problem went away.
Not sure if it was Vista or Vista 64. I haven't tried Vista 32.
|

midge Mo'yb
R.U.S.T. Phalanx Alliance
|
Posted - 2007.12.14 11:29:00 -
[7]
EVE works flawlessly on vista x64
i got a fps boost ^^ -----------------------------------------------
|

Zathi Shaitan
|
Posted - 2007.12.31 18:47:00 -
[8]
Originally by: midge Mo'yb EVE works flawlessly on vista x64
Debatable argument.
Originally by: midge Mo'yb i got a fps boost ^^
Santa must like you. I didn't.
|

Kyra Felann
Gallente Elite Storm Enterprises
|
Posted - 2008.01.01 16:32:00 -
[9]
I'm running Vista64 Home Premium on my only Windows machine (I built it recently with all Vista and DX10 compatible parts). If you're upgrading or building a new machine, I'd say go ahead and get Vista. That way you'll have DX10 once more games support it (there are already a few that do). And if you have a 64-bit CPU, I see no reason not to get the 64-bit version of Vista. You can get the 64-bit version of Vista for free on DVD if you order it on the MS site after you buy Vista.
I've had no problems with Vista64, so don't listen to the FUD you'll undoubtedly hear from people who've probably never run it.
EDIT: I take it back, I do have another windows machine: a laptop with Vista that I just got for Xmas. I've had no problems with it either.
|

Akurun
|
Posted - 2008.01.02 00:27:00 -
[10]
If you use your pc mainly for games, you shoud know vista gives you a 10% performance hit.
On the other hand, if you want to run the newest games with maxed out graphics (eg. DX10, but only a few games so far), you need vista atm.
|

Kaylana Syi
Stimulus
|
Posted - 2008.01.03 19:20:00 -
[11]
I have my second gaming rig running Ultimate 64 with EVE Premium client just fine performance wise.
X2 3800+ A64, 2g DDR400 2-2-2, 7800GT 256mb, 19" 1280x1024, 80g HD, Audigy 2 ZS
The only problem is I had to install it by giving the installer xp compatibility and run as administrator. Also, I have to click the EULA every single time I turn it on. The latter might just be a folder permission thing though.
Team Minmatar
|

Ciara Daag
Caldari Science and Trade Institute
|
Posted - 2008.01.06 20:15:00 -
[12]
I run eve on vista x64 pro with no problems at all. There are some issues with x64 you should know about though. Mcafee antivirus wont run on it. (their enterprise edition runs,but the home one does not)They dont seem interested in fixing this anytime soon either.
Driver support for x64 is terrible. I have all my devices finally working,but I had to do some hacking. I ended up getting an incompatible driver for a similar sound card to mine and writing my own driver inf. Certainly most people cant do this.
Another problem is driver signing. Vista by default will only install signed drivers. What this means is that my xbox gamepad which requires a freeware driver called xbcd has problems loading. You can solve it by disabling driver signing. The problem is they seemed to have changed the setting to do it permanently,again. (they changed it in vista RC1 and they must have changed it again in a service pack becuase its not working for me now) The solution is to make sure to turn it off at the boot menu every time you boot up,but thats a pain.
Most programs run fine on x64,but certain ones that have to install drivers or such wont and you will need x64 versions. (like mcafee antivirus)The biggest problem is the drivers however,so if you do go x64 make sure your hardware is compatible. I would double check this,but I understand that a reg code will work with either version,so you should be able to install 64bit vista,and then if you have a problem ,just wipe it clean and go to 32bit,or vice versa.
|

Kashmar Akichu
Caldari The Vorlon Empire Skunk-Works
|
Posted - 2008.01.07 01:02:00 -
[13]
Originally by: Endless Subversion I'm going to be upgrading my gaming system to a much more powerful setup.
One of the points I'm still debating is whether or not to go vista and whether or not to go 32 bit or 64 bit.
If you can afford it, get a retail Vista-box of your choosing.. Vista will be around for many years and it's likely that you will upgrade your computer atleast once during this time.
There are two reasons why I recommend a retail box:
1: OEM is cheaper, but you can NOT replace your motherboard with anything but the exact same model or you'll have to buy a new licence. Simply put, you will not be able to upgrade your computer much without breaking an OEM lisence.
2: OEM is either 32- or 64-bit, retail is both. I made the stupid choice of buying a 64-bit Home Premium OEM, and it just won't work properly on my hardware. With a retail-box you get the 32-bit version in the box and can get the 64-bit disc shipped to you for a minimal fee (or in my case, just use the 64-bit OEM-disc and input the retail-key). This way, if the 64-bit just doesn't work on your computer you haven't wasted the licence.
I have: AMD Athlon64 X2 4600+ (Socket 939, 2.4GHz) ASUS nForce4 SLI32 mobo 4GB of Corsair XMS C2 RAM (ASUS Approved for max compatibility) 1x Gainward GeForce 7950GT PCI-E
That's ALL that is in my computer (except 3x SATA-HDDs), and my 64-bit Vista is as buggy as an ant-hill. I've tried regularly to run Vista x64 on it (most recently this christmas), but I just can't get it stable. 32-bit Vista runs as if nothing was ever wrong. ------------------------------------- Bill Gates: What's that?!? Steve Jobs: It's an iHouse! Bill Gates: But there's no windows... Steve Jobs: EXACTLY! HAHAHAHA! |

Ciara Daag
Caldari Science and Trade Institute
|
Posted - 2008.01.10 10:04:00 -
[14]
Originally by: Endless Subversion I'm going to be upgrading my gaming system to a much more powerful setup.
One of the points I'm still debating is whether or not to go vista and whether or not to go 32 bit or 64 bit.
I'd really appreciate some feedback from other users playing eve while running 64 bit Vista. Is everything compatible? How about your other programs/games in general. Is 64 bit Vista well supported with drivers etc to keep everything going smoothly?
Really appreciate feedback!
Stay away from x64,but go vista. You will have to eventually anyway and you will want it for the dx10 client when it comes out. Be aware that you will need 2gigs of ram,minimum,but its pretty cheap now. Since you will want to stay away from x64 for now, 4 gigs is probably the number.One nice thing about vista is,you can choose to change to x64 later on when support gets better,without having to buy a new copy since the reg codes work with both versions.
Im personally running vista x64 and I would not recommend it to anyone. It took me months to get all my hardware working. I had to take another companies sound card drivers and write a custom inf file to make my sound card work and my XBCD game pad driver does not load unless I specifically disable code sighing (which ms likes to break with patches). I also had to write a custom inf file and take a driver from another phone to make my samsung a920 cellular work. (they have since released a x64 driver) Furthermore,its been a pain to find 64bit codecs. I also am unable to connect to the VPN for my university because Cisco does not make a 64bit client for the equipment they use. Im still working on a way around this one.(for now I use virtual PC to load a 32 bit windows version) Furthermore,there are problems with the deinterlacing of interlaced video in Media center. I fixed it by changing the codec to ffdshow for files,but Im still having problems with recording and live tv. This should be fixed with a future version of the ffdshow plugin for media center,but you see how it is.
Eve on the other hand,and most applications (those that dont try to install any funny drivers) work very well. The long and the short is,drivers for things like hard drive controllers are well supported. In other words,good quality brands of wquipment from larger companies,that you might install on a workstation are supported. Multimedia products like video capture cards are sound cards may not be supported as well. If your building a new system this wont be as much of a problem. You can go buy hardware that has x64 drivers. It still wont fix some of the codec problems,but this is really a problem with media center now.
In media player you run the 32bit version by default and everything works fine. Internet Explorer is the same,the 32 bit version by default because a lot (most) plugins wont run in the 64bit version. There is a 64bit version of firefox available,but its not an official built. Someone took the open source code and compiled it for x64. It also still (last time I checked) suffers from the same problems. All in all,its much like the old days when some of us ran NT4 instead of windows 95. It worked,it even worked well sometimes,but there were alot of drawbacks. In the former case however,there were huge advantages in stability and performance for NT,and huge drawbacks to 95 that offset the (also huge) problems with gaming and multimedia apps. In this case however,although the disadvantages are not as severe,there are also less advantages. Unless you are running scientific or engineering applications and/or need access to 8gigs or more of ram,I would recommend sticking to x86 for now.
If I had to guess,I would say the next version of windows will probably be 64bit only because any computer capable of running it will be a 64bit machine. (My P4 prescott in the office is already over 3 years old,so it will be 6 or 8 by then,so I cant expect (or even want) to run the next version)
|

Kashmar Akichu
Caldari The Vorlon Empire Skunk-Works
|
Posted - 2008.01.10 12:10:00 -
[15]
Originally by: Ciara Daag One nice thing about Vista is,you can choose to change to x64 later on when support gets better,without having to buy a new copy since the reg codes work with both versions.
I know that's true for the retail version, but I'm unsure if it's true for the OEM.
I've mailed Paul Thurrott about it but haven't heard anything back yet. ------------------------------------- Bill Gates: What's that?!? Steve Jobs: It's an iHouse! Bill Gates: But there's no windows... Steve Jobs: EXACTLY! HAHAHAHA! |

Morberi
|
Posted - 2008.01.10 21:20:00 -
[16]
I'd go with 32 bit vista but there is an option to upgrade to 64 bit, its hard to find but there is a page where if you pay shipping fees they'll mail you out the dvd with the 64 bit OS, as it is I think only Ultimate comes with 64bit on the disk.
As for problems with vista 64, all drives must be signed ( even yet my creative drivers are not! ) and you will not be able to use dos? games. For me those are the two killers, I use my old Dos games all the time and I want my sound card to work.
|

Gondus
Gallente Delian League Dread Sovereign
|
Posted - 2008.01.10 21:55:00 -
[17]
I am running Vista Ultimate 64 bit and i run perfectly fine running eve premium.
I have 2 gigs of ram, and a 8600m GT graphics card. 256 dedicated with shared memory through ram. All in all i have had a good experience with vista 64 bit...except for once...couldnt use the college computers because they only have 32 bit drivers....that annoyed me.
|

Narajah
|
Posted - 2008.01.14 20:17:00 -
[18]
Go x64 You don't need anti-virus on the x64 machine.
|

Genia Meda
|
Posted - 2008.01.14 21:36:00 -
[19]
Edited by: Genia Meda on 14/01/2008 21:37:43
Originally by: Narajah Go x64 You don't need anti-virus on the x64 machine.
BS! The x64 version is hardened vs virii behaviour, but it's NOT virii-safe...
|

Ix Forres
Vanguard Frontiers Imperial Republic Of the North
|
Posted - 2008.01.14 21:47:00 -
[20]
You always need AV, no matter what the machine. I run ClamAV on all my Linux servers, purely for the fact that you might end up being a transmitter or carrier. Sure, that file won't hurt you on x64, but now you move to x32- bang goes the file you thought was safe.
Personally I'd go XP 32 bit. 64-bit in general tends to be pretty ineffectual and poorly supported, and Vista's a resource hog you'll never need. Nobody is going to start going Vista-support-only anytime soon- if anything else they'll stop supporting Vista as much as XP. The trend is that Vista is only growing as much as people are buying it on home PCs by and large (preinstalled boxes). And that's not going to be able to sway things considering how many manufacturers are now offering XP again instead of Vista.
Just my 2 pence.
Blog |

Soujiero
|
Posted - 2008.01.25 21:46:00 -
[21]
If you must download and look at "unsafe content" *cough ****. Do it though a VPC running the 32bit version.
I second the lack of need for anti-virus on a x64 vista machine. Same reasons you don't run anti-virus on a mac.
Anti-Virus lures people into a false sense of security. Thinking that they are safe they take bigger risks. Anti-virus only protects you from KNOWN viruses. Taking risks when there are many UnKnown or unvaccinated viruses in the wild will get you even if you have anti-virus.
What does prevent viruses well is: not taking risks, not running as admin ALL the time(as most do in XP), data execution prevention, keeping every thing up to date, hardening services, not opening every link or file you get via email... Which all boils down to security.
There are too many reasons x64 Vista is a more secure OS to mention here, many technical.
To the OP: I've had no issues with eve that could be x64 related. I run two instances with premium graphics, one on each monitor. Over time there is UI hitching and it doesn't like coming out of sleep much(though will go to sleep and remain connected). Both are solved by closing the clients and restarting. A 20 sec process.
My specs are not top of the line:
dual core AMD Athlon x64 2.0 ghz 4 x 1gig dual channel 800 mhz 4gig lightning flash drive for ready boost (i got 4gigs memory but paging happens) Paging file is on a second drive. NVidia 7900 gs - all tuned with NTune ...
The system is seriously stable. The Only blue screens ever were caused when tuning memory timings, something to be expected.
You are inherently slower running Vista, as much of the drivers are running in user space and not kernel(like on xp). You are inherently slower running on a x64 machine as the x86 environment is being emulated, though you are more stable as each process is segregated. However the OS has more address space, more options to optimize performance, and able to use the dual core chip more effectively. The gains counter the losses.
Oh and you will be many many times as fast if you don't run AV.
|

Kashmar Akichu
Caldari The Vorlon Empire Skunk-Works
|
Posted - 2008.01.26 15:13:00 -
[22]
Well, I seem to have found the culprit of my Vista x64 problems..
I decided that I wanted to replace my Gainward 7950GT 256MB Golden Sample card with an XFX 8800GTS 512MB Alpha Dog Edition and now I run Vista Home Premium x64 just fine.
The weird thing is that I ran using the latest nVidia drivers (I never run mfg-drivers because in my experience the reference drivers give better performance), and in XP and Vista x86 the 7950GT worked just fine.
Go figure... ------------------------------------- Bill Gates: What's that?!? Steve Jobs: It's an iHouse! Bill Gates: But there's no windows... Steve Jobs: EXACTLY! HAHAHAHA! |

Nishimura Ikumi
Caldari Viper Squad Triumvirate.
|
Posted - 2008.01.28 05:02:00 -
[23]
Running Vista x64 and no problems at all, 2 clients(premium) + Fraps + Vent + TS + Evemon + IE + MS Office + Windows Media Player at once and it all runs smooth, EvE clients running better than before on my old XP x32. Installed and ran all software(about 30 programs) had on my previous machine(XP x32) and no problems with any of them.
Intel Quad Core 2.66mhz(Liquid Cooled) ASUS Striker Extreme Motherboard 4G Corsair XMS Extreme Memory(With Heat Spreader) XFX Overclocked 8800GTX (Dual Soon)
|

Marcus Ailichi
Lonely Maple Prospecting Group Lonely Maple Conglomerate
|
Posted - 2008.01.29 15:13:00 -
[24]
Vista, and especially 64-bit Vista not working / working badly seems to be common legend between non Vista users. I can honestly say that I've had MUCH less problems with my Vista 64-bit than I had with my xp. Only and I really mean only thing to bother me is the driver signing thingy, which makes me unable to use peerguardian but then again it's just a program for paranoids so doesn't really matter that much.
|
| |
|
| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |