| Pages: 1 2 3 :: [one page] |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Lorik Q'uin
The Royol Rough's
0
|
Posted - 2012.02.05 19:10:00 -
[1] - Quote
I know, the topic in and of itself is a broken record. Though I am relatively new to the game, I am well aware that this has been an ongoing topic, and it is seemingly something that will never happen. I am not sure if my suggestion is in the right place, but I think there is a simple way to allow one to change your character name without allowing people to hide. Everyone has an employment history of their corps and alliances, so why not have a name history as well? Adding one tab to the pilot info area that will show what all past names of a player are. It just seems so obvious, I would like to know if this particular idea has been brought up before, and if so what are the arguments against it. |

KrakizBad
Eve Defence Force Fatal Ascension
332
|
Posted - 2012.02.05 19:18:00 -
[2] - Quote
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=270 http://i.imgur.com/cOmMP.gif |

Lady Spank
Genos Occidere HYDRA RELOADED
1452
|
Posted - 2012.02.05 19:24:00 -
[3] - Quote
Even with that link ... It's been discussed a million times already and you have contributed nothing new.
I love the idea of having to check everyone's name history as a matter of course just because people either want to fix stupid or hide their reputation and past deeds. I f you want a new rep or name, get a new character. (a¦á_a¦â) ~ http://getoutnastyface.blogspot.com/ ~ (a¦á_a¦â) |

boseo
Azure Horizon
47
|
Posted - 2012.02.05 19:55:00 -
[4] - Quote
I want to turn the stupid lower case b to an upper-case B on this character, never noticed how annoying it was until recently
Sorry but file Gǣforumsig.GIFGǥ is currently unavailable please come back laterGǪGǪ like in a year or so.
|

Lorik Q'uin
The Royol Rough's
0
|
Posted - 2012.02.05 20:02:00 -
[5] - Quote
Lady Spank, I see what your saying and I know a lot of people create new characters. My question for you is, what if a player just wants to change a letter or two like boseo said, and doesn't want to start over from scratch on a new character? It seems a bit silly to have to make a new character just because you want a different name, so why not adopt the idea I stated in my post? I don't know, I just feel like it is an easy and great idea. |

Lady Spank
Genos Occidere HYDRA RELOADED
1453
|
Posted - 2012.02.05 20:12:00 -
[6] - Quote
If you make a mistake during character creation you can petition it just afterwards. But once it has sunk in you are stuck with it unfortanetly. Even changing a characters casing can throw off a paper trail and is therefore not something CCP will likely ever consider. (a¦á_a¦â) ~ http://getoutnastyface.blogspot.com/ ~ (a¦á_a¦â) |

Lorik Q'uin
The Royol Rough's
0
|
Posted - 2012.02.05 21:49:00 -
[7] - Quote
I am not talking about just mistakes, what about when you just want to change your name? And as I said, the name history would cover that fine. I just don't see a logical argument against being able to change your name, as long as the previous names are documented. |

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
3089
|
Posted - 2012.02.05 21:55:00 -
[8] - Quote
I would only accept a name change within 30days of trail account to full account flipping and that would be it.
and like a broken record even when the aka system was suggested CCP outflatly said never. Not just a simple no or possibly no but a firm never will happen as a ship with 10 high slots will never happen.
|

Lady Spank
Genos Occidere HYDRA RELOADED
1458
|
Posted - 2012.02.05 21:57:00 -
[9] - Quote
Lorik Q'uin wrote:I am not talking about just mistakes, what about when you just want to change your name? And as I said, the name history would cover that fine. I just don't see a logical argument against being able to change your name, as long as the previous names are documented. As I said, it could be used to obscure your past actions so no. Again, I suggest you do some research as this is something that really has been discussed to death. (a¦á_a¦â) ~ http://getoutnastyface.blogspot.com/ ~ (a¦á_a¦â) |

Lorik Q'uin
The Royol Rough's
0
|
Posted - 2012.02.05 21:59:00 -
[10] - Quote
I guess I just don't understand why it's hard to just look and see what someone's old name is via the name history tab. |

Hainnz
Imperial Academy Amarr Empire
77
|
Posted - 2012.02.05 22:13:00 -
[11] - Quote
In a game letting you sell characters legally, and with alts all over the place, a name change (with some sort of history), hardly seems so bad.
People just argue against it because they want to be contrary. |

Lady Spank
Genos Occidere HYDRA RELOADED
1458
|
Posted - 2012.02.05 22:17:00 -
[12] - Quote
Lorik Q'uin wrote:I guess I just don't understand why it's hard to just look and see what someone's old name is via the name history tab. You haven't bothered to read the old threads with countless discussion on the subject so I'm not surprised. (a¦á_a¦â) ~ http://getoutnastyface.blogspot.com/ ~ (a¦á_a¦â) |

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
3089
|
Posted - 2012.02.05 22:38:00 -
[13] - Quote
Lorik Q'uin wrote:I guess I just don't understand why it's hard to just look and see what someone's old name is via the name history tab.
Other than the fact ccp shot it down.
We concluded that having your name change automatically demotes you to 3rd class citizen with aka system. No corp would like to hire you, period.
|

Shirley Serious
The Khanid Sisters of Athra
6
|
Posted - 2012.02.05 22:44:00 -
[14] - Quote
I've seen people successfully change the capitalisation of their names, so it can be done, and has been done. |

EVE Character 203743445
Imperial Academy Amarr Empire
4
|
Posted - 2012.02.05 23:19:00 -
[15] - Quote
it is very easy to change your name.
make a new toon. with nearly the same name. just change 1 letter.
create a petition with that new toon and tell CCP that your (original) toon was an impersonator. this way you will get a free reset.
(a¦á_a¦â) ~ http://getoutnastyface.blogspot.com/ ~ (a¦á_a¦â) |

Lorik Q'uin
The Royol Rough's
0
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 02:05:00 -
[16] - Quote
Lady Spank wrote:Lorik Q'uin wrote:I guess I just don't understand why it's hard to just look and see what someone's old name is via the name history tab. You haven't bothered to read the old threads with countless discussion on the subject so I'm not surprised.
Lol I am sorry that I didn't spend over an hour looking and sifting through different threads regarding the subject, and if you have such a sour opinion regarding me even asking the question, I'd appreciate you leaving the discussion.
Hainnz wrote:In a game letting you sell characters legally, and with alts all over the place, a name change (with some sort of history), hardly seems so bad.
People just argue against it because they want to be contrary.
This sums it up even further, thank you. I know some people with up to 2 alts, so if the argument is people can hide behind a changed name, then what about people hiding behind alts? Explain that.
Nova Fox wrote:Lorik Q'uin wrote:I guess I just don't understand why it's hard to just look and see what someone's old name is via the name history tab. Other than the fact ccp shot it down. We concluded that having your name change automatically demotes you to 3rd class citizen with aka system. No corp would like to hire you, period.
I don't really understand why changing your name every once in a blue moon makes you a "3rd class," or even a "2nd class" citizen? If someone changes their name every other week then, sure, that's a bit to much. |

Rene Fullchest
Sigillum Militum Xpisti Fatal Ascension
12
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 02:48:00 -
[17] - Quote
You keep coming back to various forms of "I don't understand why...".
That is a true statement. However, your inability to understand does not make your idea any more original or valid.
That you don't understand is a function of your inability to recognize that the idea has been brought up many, many times before and shot down, not by the players alone, but by CCP. It's bad gameplay and mechanics. |

Gilbaron
Free-Space-Ranger Ev0ke
140
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 02:50:00 -
[18] - Quote
boseo wrote:I want to turn the stupid lower case b to an upper-case B on this character, never noticed how annoying it was until recently
GMs did that for me |

boseo
Azure Horizon
48
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 03:10:00 -
[19] - Quote
Gilbaron wrote:boseo wrote:I want to turn the stupid lower case b to an upper-case B on this character, never noticed how annoying it was until recently GMs did that for me
don't think they will do it to a character that is 5+ years old :S made this character back when I was in Secondary school (or high school to non uk people) and well now, I just finished a bachelor degree and am now on a masters course, so progressed a lot between then and now.
but yes a little mistake then = a mild annoyance now
well you live and learn
Sorry but file Gǣforumsig.GIFGǥ is currently unavailable please come back laterGǪGǪ like in a year or so.
|

Lorik Q'uin
The Royol Rough's
0
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 03:41:00 -
[20] - Quote
Rene Fullchest wrote:You keep coming back to various forms of "I don't understand why...".
That is a true statement. However, your inability to understand does not make your idea any more original or valid.
That you don't understand is a function of your inability to recognize that the idea has been brought up many, many times before and shot down, not by the players alone, but by CCP. It's bad gameplay and mechanics.
You know the amount of people sitting behind their computer screen who like to jump into random threads and insult people never ceases to amaze me. Please go insult someone who deserves it, because I really don't think I have done anything to deserve it. I am sorry for asking a question and trying to have a discussion, as I said I am new. But yes I keep coming back to not understanding why because, yes, I don't understand the erroneous logic behind this whole situation. I will leave it at that though, since it seems nobody really cares about it anyways. Thanks to all the non-d-bags who posted in this thread. |

Nicolo da'Vicenza
Divine Power. Cascade Imminent
322
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 03:54:00 -
[21] - Quote
Reputation is everything in EVE, more important then ISK or SP or killboard stats. Being able to effectively change your identity on a whim is a terrible idea for that reason.
Luckily I thought EVE might be an RP game so I decided I should have a fitting name. |

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
3090
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 04:02:00 -
[22] - Quote
Nicolo da'Vicenza wrote:Reputation is everything in EVE, more important then ISK or SP or killboard stats. Being able to effectively change your identity on a whim is a terrible idea for that reason.
Luckily I thought EVE might be an RP game so I decided I should have a fitting name.
Agreed.
|

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
3090
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 04:04:00 -
[23] - Quote
If you dont understand why you need ot start your own allaicne and have it torn apart by a traitor (its going to happen consdering your level of experince) and you will then know why entirely.
Hell it could happen at corp level
|

Rene Fullchest
Sigillum Militum Xpisti Fatal Ascension
12
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 10:47:00 -
[24] - Quote
Lorik Q'uin wrote:Rene Fullchest wrote:You keep coming back to various forms of "I don't understand why...".
That is a true statement. However, your inability to understand does not make your idea any more original or valid.
That you don't understand is a function of your inability to recognize that the idea has been brought up many, many times before and shot down, not by the players alone, but by CCP. It's bad gameplay and mechanics. You know the amount of people sitting behind their computer screen who like to jump into random threads and insult people never ceases to amaze me. Please go insult someone who deserves it, because I really don't think I have done anything to deserve it. I am sorry for asking a question and trying to have a discussion, as I said I am new. But yes I keep coming back to not understanding why because, yes, I don't understand the erroneous logic behind this whole situation. I will leave it at that though, since it seems nobody really cares about it anyways. Thanks to all the non-d-bags who posted in this thread.
If you think that was insulting then I doubt that Eve is your game.
Not understanding something does not make it erroneous. It simply makes it not understood. Have you yet gone back to review the countless other threads on this subject? You admitted above that you had not, so I suggest that your lack of understanding is directly related to that, not some failure of logic, unless you are really admitting to a failure of logic on your part.
Oh, and BTW, this is actually me being nice and helpful. You'd hate to see me on days when I actually intend to be a d-bag. |

Pak Narhoo
Knights of Kador
408
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 10:54:00 -
[25] - Quote
boseo wrote:I want to turn the stupid lower case b to an upper-case B on this character, never noticed how annoying it was until recently
Just want to add that it is possible (doesn't matter how old you are) to get a lowercase like 'b' turned into an uppercase 'B'.
Just ask for it politely. :) You have to cut the ops team some slack, trolling the player base with made up downtime estimates is the only fun they get around here.-á(CCP Nullarbor) |

Jint Hikaru
OffWorld Exploration Inc
59
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 11:13:00 -
[26] - Quote
Lorik Q'uin wrote:I know, the topic in and of itself is a broken record. Though I am relatively new to the game, I am well aware that this has been an ongoing topic, and it is seemingly something that will never happen. I am not sure if my suggestion is in the right place, but I think there is a simple way to allow one to change your character name without allowing people to hide. Everyone has an employment history of their corps and alliances, so why not have a name history as well? Adding one tab to the pilot info area that will show what all past names of a player are. It just seems so obvious, I would like to know if this particular idea has been brought up before, and if so what are the arguments against it.
If I am playing in one area and I know I have to watch out for a pirate called "Evil Badguy", the last thing I want to have to do is check the name history of every single pilot wo is in the system, and every one who enters the system just in case that player named "Nope Nothingtoseehere" has the names "Evil Badguy" in his name history tab.
You have just made the game infinatly more tedious because you cant stick with your chosen name.
Jint Hikaru - Miner / Salvager / Explorer / SpaceBum In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. |

Lady Spank
Genos Occidere HYDRA RELOADED
1465
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 11:22:00 -
[27] - Quote
But I'm a noob and don't understand ur logic because I'm dumb. I should go back to wow or one of those inconsequential sharded games. (a¦á_a¦â) ~ http://getoutnastyface.blogspot.com/ ~ (a¦á_a¦â) |

DarkAegix
Acetech Systems
904
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 11:29:00 -
[28] - Quote
In a game with 3 alts per character, untraceable separate accounts, and a metagame where all the high-level, actually important discussions happens over Teamspeak or a third party server not even connected to character names, I don't see why a 'name history' tab on a character's public info would be such a big deal.
Name & identity changes happen in real life. Why should EVE be in easy-mode? With a name history tab, it'd still take an absolute fool to recruit a corp-thief, or similar. Not much will change. |

J Kunjeh
369
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 11:38:00 -
[29] - Quote
As long as there is an "alias history" tab on the character info sheet, I see no problem at all allowing name changes for a fee (micro-plex, or ISK). Supported! (though this is the wrong forum for this discussion and it's already been discussed in F&I probably 20 times). "The world as we know it came about through an anomaly (anomou)" (The Gospel of Philip, 1-5)-á |

Lady Spank
Genos Occidere HYDRA RELOADED
1465
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 11:46:00 -
[30] - Quote
Jint Hikaru wrote:Lorik Q'uin wrote:I know, the topic in and of itself is a broken record. Though I am relatively new to the game, I am well aware that this has been an ongoing topic, and it is seemingly something that will never happen. I am not sure if my suggestion is in the right place, but I think there is a simple way to allow one to change your character name without allowing people to hide. Everyone has an employment history of their corps and alliances, so why not have a name history as well? Adding one tab to the pilot info area that will show what all past names of a player are. It just seems so obvious, I would like to know if this particular idea has been brought up before, and if so what are the arguments against it. If I am playing in one area and I know I have to watch out for a pirate called "Evil Badguy", the last thing I want to have to do is check the name history of every single pilot wo is in the system, and every one who enters the system just in case that player named "Nope Nothingtoseehere" has the names "Evil Badguy" in his name history tab. You have just made the game infinatly more tedious because you cant stick with your chosen name. Since you can't read the thread before chiming in. (a¦á_a¦â) ~ http://getoutnastyface.blogspot.com/ ~ (a¦á_a¦â) |

Rene Fullchest
Sigillum Militum Xpisti Fatal Ascension
12
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 11:48:00 -
[31] - Quote
Jint Hikaru wrote:Lorik Q'uin wrote:I know, the topic in and of itself is a broken record. Though I am relatively new to the game, I am well aware that this has been an ongoing topic, and it is seemingly something that will never happen. I am not sure if my suggestion is in the right place, but I think there is a simple way to allow one to change your character name without allowing people to hide. Everyone has an employment history of their corps and alliances, so why not have a name history as well? Adding one tab to the pilot info area that will show what all past names of a player are. It just seems so obvious, I would like to know if this particular idea has been brought up before, and if so what are the arguments against it. If I am playing in one area and I know I have to watch out for a pirate called "Evil Badguy", the last thing I want to have to do is check the name history of every single pilot wo is in the system, and every one who enters the system just in case that player named "Nope Nothingtoseehere" has the names "Evil Badguy" in his name history tab. You have just made the game infinatly more tedious because you cant stick with your chosen name.
|

DarkAegix
Acetech Systems
905
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 12:07:00 -
[32] - Quote
Jint Hikarus wrote: If I am playing in one area and I know I have to watch out for a pirate called "Evil Badguy", the last thing I want to have to do is check the name history of every single pilot wo is in the system, and every one who enters the system just in case that player named "Nope Nothingtoseehere" has the names "Evil Badguy" in his name history tab.
You have just made the game infinatly more tedious because you cant stick with your chosen name.
Alternatively, you give the character negative standings so you can see them pop up in local, or whatever intel thing CCP are planning in the future. You know, like what a fully capable and intelligent human being would do. |

RaTTuS
BIG Gentlemen's Agreement
173
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 12:09:00 -
[33] - Quote
boseo wrote:I want to turn the stupid lower case b to an upper-case B on this character, never noticed how annoying it was until recently you can get this done - it does not matter how old your are as it's not a breaker .... changing thins other than capitalization is a breaker though http://eveboard.com/ub/419190933-134.png
|

Lorik Q'uin
The Royol Rough's
0
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 12:31:00 -
[34] - Quote
I don't need to read previous threads to realize that one of the main arguments is in regards to someone, such as a pirate, hiding by changing their name on a frequent basis. The fact of the matter is, alls they have to do is create an alt or get another account all together, and they are in the wind. I do see where the opposing side is coming from, we just all have our own opinions. I see this argument can go round and round all day so let's agree to disagree. |

Alexandra Alt
Republic Military School Minmatar Republic
90
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 13:12:00 -
[35] - Quote
It's a btch when you make a char 4 years ago, where you have no idea whatsoever how the game works, and you end up regretting the name you picked ever since you started pvp and learned that you'll die really really fast if your name starts with an A, except if you fight goons.... (which is what I rather right now, at least I'm not the first to die)....
This kind of situations are **** for the player, has nothing to do with getting away with reputation or anything, I just want to enjoy more than 30 seconds in a battle... |

Henry Haphorn
Aliastra Gallente Federation
179
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 13:43:00 -
[36] - Quote
Lorik Q'uin wrote:Rene Fullchest wrote:You keep coming back to various forms of "I don't understand why...".
That is a true statement. However, your inability to understand does not make your idea any more original or valid.
That you don't understand is a function of your inability to recognize that the idea has been brought up many, many times before and shot down, not by the players alone, but by CCP. It's bad gameplay and mechanics. You know the amount of people sitting behind their computer screen who like to jump into random threads and insult people never ceases to amaze me. Please go insult someone who deserves it, because I really don't think I have done anything to deserve it. I am sorry for asking a question and trying to have a discussion, as I said I am new. But yes I keep coming back to not understanding why because, yes, I don't understand the erroneous logic behind this whole situation. I will leave it at that though, since it seems nobody really cares about it anyways. Thanks to all the non-d-bags who posted in this thread.
@Lorik,
Don't take Rene's post so personally. Rene is just trying to point out what the veterans already know but the newbies don't. Like many before me, I learned to stop beating dead horses a long time ago. Yes, I know it is easy to create an alt to circumvent certain rules set by the players, but it's because of that reason alone that allowing a name change on a regular or random basis is a bad idea. That and because name changes tend to skew the paper trail. What if another player picks up the same name? Then you end up having duplicate character names appearing in certain places and that creates a headache for the security department or the GMs.
@Lady Spank
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=760413#post760413
Your evil twin is here. |

Pyrosomniac
Shogun's Samurai F0RCEFUL ENTRY
12
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 13:50:00 -
[37] - Quote
I'd support a name change option as I now hate my characters name (and I've adopted a different online handle now), so I'd be in favour of it.
As an April Fools though, I'd love to see CCP add name changing and call it an expansion. Think about it, an added level of espionage to your character! How about a black market dealing, face-off style where your character pays off a shady guy in the back of a hangar to do some cosmetic surgery and forge some new ID's? Could make it an entire black market trading deal then, but aside from boosters and slaves and exotic dancers, you'd need some other stuff to trade.
Still, I can understand why it's not there, but at the same time...
|

Sasha Azala
Blood and Decay
11
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 14:07:00 -
[38] - Quote
I don't have a problem with people changing their names as long as the original name is linked to the present name (on the character sheet 'formerly known as *name*') . Also the employment history remains intact from the character creation date. |

Smoking Blunts
ZC Industries Dark Stripes
198
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 14:20:00 -
[39] - Quote
boseo wrote:I want to turn the stupid lower case b to an upper-case B on this character, never noticed how annoying it was until recently
petition it, it can and should be done.
ive had it changed on one of my mains a few years back, didnt even notice i missed teh capital letters when i started, i was a tad stoned at the time though CCP-áare full of words and no action. We will watch what they are doing, for now
|

Zixie Draco
Tactical Knightmare
69
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 14:21:00 -
[40] - Quote
Lorik Q'uin wrote:Rene Fullchest wrote:You keep coming back to various forms of "I don't understand why...".
That is a true statement. However, your inability to understand does not make your idea any more original or valid.
That you don't understand is a function of your inability to recognize that the idea has been brought up many, many times before and shot down, not by the players alone, but by CCP. It's bad gameplay and mechanics. You know the amount of people sitting behind their computer screen who like to jump into random threads and insult people never ceases to amaze me. Please go insult someone who deserves it, because I really don't think I have done anything to deserve it. I am sorry for asking a question and trying to have a discussion, as I said I am new. But yes I keep coming back to not understanding why because, yes, I don't understand the erroneous logic behind this whole situation. I will leave it at that though, since it seems nobody really cares about it anyways. Thanks to all the non-d-bags who posted in this thread.
I detect a bit of emo longing in your posts. Look son, this is not World of Warcraft. Once you've cybered with someone and are embarrassed about it, you just need to move on and own it.
One of the lures of this game for most all that stick with it, is the fact that you cannot erase without starting over. Spaceships are real srs. Would you like a kitten? |

boseo
Azure Horizon
48
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 15:25:00 -
[41] - Quote
for the people who have helped me with the lower case b to upper-case thanks! now I know it can be done I will be looking in to getting it sorted 
Sorry but file Gǣforumsig.GIFGǥ is currently unavailable please come back laterGǪGǪ like in a year or so.
|

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
3092
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 15:32:00 -
[42] - Quote
the reason why capitolization is allowed is it really doesnt effect alot of things I can still name search you and get the same result and other chractes cannot impersonate me by having nova Fox or Nova fox or nova fox for thier names.
|

CanIHave YourStuff
In Praise Of Shadows
1
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 16:08:00 -
[43] - Quote
Lorik Q'uin wrote:Lol I am sorry that I didn't spend over an hour looking and sifting through different threads regarding the subject, and if you have such a sour opinion regarding me even asking the question, I'd appreciate you leaving the discussion. I think the point is you are making yet another tiresome thread about a topic that has been done to death a million times.
http://bit.ly/w6t5yN
It's fine if you have something new to contribute but you simply don't, and sloppy posting is not appreciated here. It's bad enough with all the moronic trolling that goes on, hence why you get a rather curt response to your bad thread. |

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
726
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 16:38:00 -
[44] - Quote
I see one reasonable name change scenario.
First let me flog my dead horse a bit. I completely disagree with selling characters. I think the character should be bound to the acct that made it. Then again, since it will never happen and that is how I make most of my ISKies...
When a new owner takes over a character there is no reason for him to retain the history of that character. It should be treated as a new acct. Which it is. Therefore, I see no problem with wiping the slate clean and going for the name change as well.
Can that mechanic be abused? Sure can. But so is every other mechanic in this game.
I think over all it would work out for the better.
Mr Epeen  Me too!-á I ate one sour, too! |

Sasha Azala
Blood and Decay
11
|
Posted - 2012.02.06 16:49:00 -
[45] - Quote
Mr Epeen wrote:I see one reasonable name change scenario. First let me flog my dead horse a bit. I completely disagree with selling characters. I think the character should be bound to the acct that made it. Then again, since it will never happen and that is how I make most of my ISKies... When a new owner takes over a character there is no reason for him to retain the history of that character. It should be treated as a new acct. Which it is. Therefore, I see no problem with wiping the slate clean and going for the name change as well. Can that mechanic be abused? Sure can. But so is every other mechanic in this game. I think over all it would work out for the better. Mr Epeen 
Not sure if they retain the history or not, but they should.
If they don't then I can see it helping out your business of selling characters, especially if the name can be changed as well.
Which means you have a biased view anyway.
|

Robert Saint
Luminaire Trading Company
31
|
Posted - 2012.02.26 05:58:00 -
[46] - Quote
Names changes should be a given in a Game like this, where you can spend years developing a characters skills or pay a great deal for a toon with good skills, but stupid name. It just needs to be a service that CCP can get paid for their time. If it requires character investigations of corp history or whatever is involved that means man hours. If you can sell characters, so should be able to change names, there is absolutely no difference. With full understanding that a player can simply sell their character to themselves.. No one really knows who someone is anyway... Play the game and let me change my name from "Robert Saint" to "Super Robert Saint" once my skills improve and I will gladly pay the $50. RM, if I want it bad enough.
It's just a game and people should be able to pay to enjoy it more fully.
Any argument against my wonder opinion means you are WRONG....
but,,, i love you. |

Ilandrin Yona
Allied Harvesting
9
|
Posted - 2012.02.26 06:20:00 -
[47] - Quote
Seems like they could just give every character a unique "Pilot Identification Code" that is permanent. Then character history would be tied to the code and it wouldn't matter if they change their name. I can understand people getting tired of an ill conceived name. Although I don't know why people give their characters weird names to begin with. ... ..... ....... ... ..... ....... Ilandrin Yona Founder & CEO Allied Harvesting |

Alpheias
Euphoria Released 0ccupational Hazzard
482
|
Posted - 2012.02.26 06:29:00 -
[48] - Quote
Robert Saint wrote:Names changes should be a given in a Game like this, where you can spend years developing a characters skills or pay a great deal for a toon with good skills, but stupid name. It just needs to be a service that CCP can get paid for their time. If it requires character investigations of corp history or whatever is involved that means man hours. If you can sell characters, so should be able to change names, there is absolutely no difference. With full understanding that a player can simply sell their character to themselves.. No one really knows who someone is anyway... Play the game and let me change my name from "Robert Saint" to "Super Robert Saint" once my skills improve and I will gladly pay the $50. RM, if I want it bad enough.
It's just a game and people should be able to pay to enjoy it more fully.
Any argument against my wonder opinion means you are WRONG....
but,,, i love you.
So you used to be Robert the Child Molester? I'd kill kittens and puppies and bunnies I'd maim toddlers and teens and then more |

Vaal Erit
Science and Trade Institute Caldari State
11
|
Posted - 2012.02.26 06:45:00 -
[49] - Quote
I agree with Mr Epeen, changing a characters name should be allowed when you buy a new character via the character bazaar. You'll understand why if you ever buy a character, it is very difficult to find the character you want with the skills you want and the price you want, getting a name you want as well is impossible.
I might also let newbies get a rename within 14 days as some people just type a random name to hurry up and play the game and then like the game and don't want to start over.
But letting everyone change their name for PLEX/cash? Heck no. |

Nephilius
Grey Legionaires
322
|
Posted - 2012.02.26 07:20:00 -
[50] - Quote
Lady Spank wrote:If you make a mistake during character creation you can petition it just afterwards. But once it has sunk in you are stuck with it unfortanetly. Even changing a characters casing can throw off a paper trail and is therefore not something CCP will likely ever consider.
I'm pretty sure CCP doesn't track players by name only.
It's a paranoia thing, OP. For all the so-called harshness of Eve, the potential chaos this would cause would be too much to handle for most people. To stand before a man at an inquisition, knowing that he will rejoice when we die, knowing that he will commit us to the stake and its horrors without a moment's hesitation or remorse if we do not satisfy him, is not an experience much less cruel because our inquisitor does not whip us or rack us or shout at us. |

supersexysucker
Uber Awesome Fantastico Awesomeness Group
60
|
Posted - 2012.02.26 07:33:00 -
[51] - Quote
We got to change our char hell we HAD TO. We should get one name change as well. |

Steveir
Hagukure Empire Industry
32
|
Posted - 2012.02.26 09:33:00 -
[52] - Quote
Many players want to tweek their names. I thought you had to get to a certain level before you could add a surname (like other MMO). LoTR and WAR has a great feature of being able to add titles.
So how about for PLEX, CCP would "adjust" names within sensible limits? Players want it, and CCP would like the cash. Although I accept some titles could be seen as more medieval rather than sci-fi (e.g. Steveir the ganked) |

Bumblefck
Kerensky Initiatives
2898
|
Posted - 2012.02.26 09:40:00 -
[53] - Quote
1. Make a character with an offensive name 2. Petition yourself to have the name changed because it's offensive 3 ??? 4. Profit!
---- CONCORD arrested two n00bs yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off. |

Daroth Saken
Science and Trade Institute Caldari State
0
|
Posted - 2012.02.26 11:09:00 -
[54] - Quote
Lady Spank wrote:If you make a mistake during character creation you can petition it just afterwards. But once it has sunk in you are stuck with it unfortanetly. Even changing a characters casing can throw off a paper trail and is therefore not something CCP will likely ever consider.
not all the time, i created a toon, made a typo in the name, checked that the name wasn't used and petitioned it within the hour of creation (i didn't want to delete it because i'd got the portrait *just* right) got a response inside the day and told nope they wouldn't change it |

Turelus
Caldari Independent Navy Reserve The Fourth District
2
|
Posted - 2012.02.26 11:15:00 -
[55] - Quote
boseo wrote:I want to turn the stupid lower case b to an upper-case B on this character, never noticed how annoying it was until recently There was actually a post from a Dev in a thread about this a long time back where they said they can do that via petition, because it's not changing the name in the database. Try submitting a petition to check. |

Serene Repose
Perkone Caldari State
295
|
Posted - 2012.02.26 11:17:00 -
[56] - Quote
There's a few reasons people want to change their names.
First and foremost, like Lady Spank's, the player was overcome by a sudden wave of adolescent cool, and devised a name that later (as their brains reached full physical development) they came to see as just as dumb as everyone else realized as soon as they saw it. Name change! Ooooh, darn!
Second, and sort of sympathetically, the player was drunk that night and figured all the cool names have been taken anyway so why bother thinking about it at all? Just throw something out there that'll draw a few sniggers...like Lo Hung. Name change! Ooooh, darn!
Third, and my favorite, the ones who're so jaded on the internet they think everyone's textual input is valueless, serves no purpose and only demonstrates the generator of such input's general ignorance of their nil value in the digital world....like 000588969. Thing is, nobody knows what to call them, so they wind up being "Hey, you!" Name change! Ooooh, darn!
There is a fourth...fifth...but geez. Use your imaginations.
Smokestack lightnin' shinin' just like gold. |

Reaver Glitterstim
Dromedaworks inc
29
|
Posted - 2012.02.26 11:18:00 -
[57] - Quote
Unlike some of you, I actually spent some time thinking about what I would name my character. |

Bumblefck
Kerensky Initiatives
2898
|
Posted - 2012.02.26 11:48:00 -
[58] - Quote
...really? Couldn't you have come up with something that sounds less than an alien sex toy?
---- CONCORD arrested two n00bs yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off. |

Mr Chili Palmer
Aegis Coalition Logistics Dark Legion Alliance
41
|
Posted - 2012.02.26 12:09:00 -
[59] - Quote
almost everyone in real life has got or has a nick name, players should be able to create a nick name that is linked to their real game id and that way they can go under either of the 2 names.
william h bonney was born william h mcCarty aka billiy the kid
so would nicknames / alias's work? |

Emma Royd
Maddled Gommerils
84
|
Posted - 2012.02.26 15:07:00 -
[60] - Quote
Vaal Erit wrote:I agree with Mr Epeen, changing a characters name should be allowed when you buy a new character via the character bazaar. You'll understand why if you ever buy a character, it is very difficult to find the character you want with the skills you want and the price you want, getting a name you want as well is impossible.
I might also let newbies get a rename within 14 days as some people just type a random name to hurry up and play the game and then like the game and don't want to start over.
But letting everyone change their name for PLEX/cash? Heck no.
K, Player A puts one of his characters up for sale on Character Bazaar, and has one of his alts buy it, his alt gets the name changed, and then transfers the character to the original account, all for the price of $40 or about 2 plex.
You can't have 1 without the other, even if CCP had some kind of check to try and stop it, it would then penalise the legitimate players who might want to drop out of eve for a while, lend their character to a friend and then have it transferred back when they start playing, or people transferring characters between their own accounts due to training issues.
All said and done, I really can't understand why people get so worked up about a character name, you made the choice, so deal with it  |

Reaver Glitterstim
Dromedaworks inc
29
|
Posted - 2012.02.26 17:51:00 -
[61] - Quote
Mr Chili Palmer wrote:almost everyone in real life has got or has a nick name, players should be able to create a nick name that is linked to their real game id and that way they can go under either of the 2 names.
william h bonney was born william h mcCarty aka billiy the kid
so would nicknames / alias's work?
I think you just capital smartbombed the huge threadnought about why name changes won't work, by using a powerfully good idea. Of course, the people who built the threadnought will never admit that you're right... |

Cipher Jones
337
|
Posted - 2012.02.26 18:15:00 -
[62] - Quote
Lorik Q'uin wrote:I know, the topic in and of itself is a broken record. Though I am relatively new to the game, I am well aware that this has been an ongoing topic, and it is seemingly something that will never happen. I am not sure if my suggestion is in the right place, but I think there is a simple way to allow one to change your character name without allowing people to hide. Everyone has an employment history of their corps and alliances, so why not have a name history as well? Adding one tab to the pilot info area that will show what all past names of a player are. It just seems so obvious, I would like to know if this particular idea has been brought up before, and if so what are the arguments against it.
You should never be allowed to change your name because if you thought of a ****** one you deserve it, and if you bought your toon you knew you would be stuck with it. If the devs started working on every issue players felt entitled to Eve would die.
See what happens when fat neckbeards try to ride little ponies? The ponies die. |

Alrione
Black Lagoon Inc.
156
|
Posted - 2012.02.26 18:22:00 -
[63] - Quote
No. Go away. |

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
3288
|
Posted - 2012.02.26 18:37:00 -
[64] - Quote
There are intelligence agencies in eve that all they do is track character sales. Dont make thier job harder.
|

Dersk
90040045
37
|
Posted - 2012.02.26 18:39:00 -
[65] - Quote
Bumblefck wrote:...really? Couldn't you have come up with something that sounds less than an alien sex toy?
Says the guy with the name describing what happens when two Abominable Snowmen love each other. |

Alpheias
Euphoria Released 0ccupational Hazzard
482
|
Posted - 2012.02.26 19:26:00 -
[66] - Quote
Dersk wrote:Bumblefck wrote:...really? Couldn't you have come up with something that sounds less than an alien sex toy? Says the guy with the name describing what happens when two Abominable Snowmen love each other.
At least he was creative with the name, mr. alien sex toy. I'd kill kittens and puppies and bunnies I'd maim toddlers and teens and then more |

Alexis Caine
Black Company Merc's The Aurora Shadow
0
|
Posted - 2012.05.20 01:21:00 -
[67] - Quote
DarkAegix wrote:In a game with 3 alts per character, untraceable separate accounts, and a metagame where all the high-level, actually important discussions happen over Teamspeak or a third party server not even connected to character names, I don't see why a 'name history' tab on a character's public info would be such a big deal.
Name & identity changes happen in real life. Why should EVE be in easy-mode? With a name history tab, it'd still take an absolute fool to recruit a corp-thief, or similar. Not much will change.
This actually makes more sense than all the arguments I have heard for not changing names. I stumbled upon this thread looking for a way to change my name, yet find a "can of worms" here. If the CCP gods don't like the idea then it will never happen. Sometimes it's good to vent though. :) "This has all happened before, and it will all happen again." |

Fabulousli Obvious
State War Academy Caldari State
66
|
Posted - 2012.05.20 02:20:00 -
[68] - Quote
"Only character names that are deemed as inappropriate are eligible for a possible name change. Names will not be changed for any other reason."
http://community.eveonline.com/pnp/namepolicy.asp Last words:-á Either that wallpaper goes, or I do. ~~ Oscar Wilde, writer, d. November 30, 1900 |

Fredfredbug4
The Scope Gallente Federation
318
|
Posted - 2012.05.20 02:35:00 -
[69] - Quote
The game is already being slowed down, both for applicants and recruiters to have a full background check, security payments, and interviews for joining a corp. Why would you want to make the process even more tedious than it already is?
The only real positive is the potential for an ISK sink. People can change their names, but they have to fork over billions of ISK to the shredder machine. This could discourage people from doing it en mass also. |

Ituhata Saken
Crimson Cross Destroyers
43
|
Posted - 2012.05.20 02:54:00 -
[70] - Quote
I want to change my name from kitty to karen. |

Pres Crendraven
30
|
Posted - 2012.05.20 02:58:00 -
[71] - Quote
I'm still looking for CCP to allow Sex changes. Its so unfair Meta34me
Corp and Alliance details hidden to protect the innocent. |

Nova Fox
Novafox Shipyards
3886
|
Posted - 2012.05.20 06:25:00 -
[72] - Quote
Pres Crendraven wrote:I'm still looking for CCP to allow Sex changes. Its so unfair
Sex Change more likely than name change.
|

riknarr
Midhalla
0
|
Posted - 2012.05.20 06:44:00 -
[73] - Quote
Boseo wrote:I want to turn the stupid lower case b to an upper-case B on this character, never noticed how annoying it was until recently
Same here with my lower case 'r' - looks like you got yours fixed, I have the same problem on my other account too. Didn't look so weird in the old font. |

Dyner
Midgard Protectorate
100
|
Posted - 2012.05.20 08:14:00 -
[74] - Quote
Could add a new facet to the game...Aliases
You can pay to (ISK) to have your name changed but a record will be kept. And this information will be displayed under the "Aliases"-tab (like Bio, Description, etc).
Then add a new skill that requires 'Hacking lvl 5' "Data Mining"
The higher the level the further back the Aliases will go.
Also, use the same Cooldown function that Remapping has....yes, the CDs would be tied. That way you can either Name Change or Remap once per year.
-I personally would like to add a last name to this guy...And I mean a REAL LAST NAME. Think SWTOR's Legacy Name feature.
At the time of this guy's creation I had been playing games that didn't allow "spaces" and I despise names like "FirstnameLastname" or "Firstnamelastname". So, of course, I didn't even think to try a space.
This would also help stifle Alt Spies...and increase revenue for CCP. Since the only way to do Alt Spying would be to get a new account 
And yes, to answer your question, I would like a green diamond above my head, purchasable from the Nex Store  |
| |
|
| Pages: 1 2 3 :: [one page] |