| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Anaflex
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 19:32:00 -
[1]
Hi all, first of all many thanks for opening the post and having a quick glance to see if it takes your interest.
I literally picked up the game last week whilst at a friends house he was playing X3 Reunion on his own and though that looked interesting and after some research found Eve to be similar in style of game only On-line. Being an avid fan of on-line gaming I booted up Eve last Saturday 29th Dec and I have not had many hours sleep since.
The complexity of the game is incredible and the external internet research/fan sites bolster the hobby which is what the game has become for me.
Now although in such a limited play time how can one know they will enjoy, for me it gripped me right away and I cancelled all other MMO subscriptions that how confident I was!
Now if you still awake from reading my intro I would like to ask one question if I may and that is "What is the purpose of the game"
This may seem a silly question, I understand I can trade, PVP, mission run, make things, trade, steal, along with a few more options im sure. Generally with an MMO say for example EQ2 or WOW you would level a character up and then joining a community and progress your character to perhaps kill some end game level boss with a large group, anywhere up to 20 players.
I am a heavy on-line player(5/6 nights a week) but right now I see no end goal and wonder if someone would be so kind as to explain, in perhaps lamens terms what that is.
In my short time of playing I have managed 100k skill points Mining Barge/Hauler/Destroyer done light manufacturing and limited trading and perhaps the odd boring mission. I have probably spent more time travelling than playing the game.
Any offers of advice, comments or help would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
Anaflex
|

Mangala Solaris
Caldari Sanctuary Aegis Consortium
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 19:35:00 -
[2]
To be totally honest, EVE is what you the player makes of it.
Do you want to fly a dread and pos seige all night?
Want to yarr it up and keep what you kill?
Think mining is the best thing ever?
EVE really doesnt have set goals, its a freeform sandbox - yes a sandbox with kids that occasionally take a dump in it, but a sandbox never the less.
Where do you want to go today - really is EVE's thing :) -------
|

punnani
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 19:49:00 -
[3]
Considering that you can put two words together which are not YARR YARRR, I'd say you will soon have a blob of recruiters waiting at each gate ready to sollicit for companionship 
Have fun!
PS EvE is great fun while u are growing....then it becomes a repetitive murder/noob farming venture.
|

Aceoil
Murder-Death-Kill
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 19:52:00 -
[4]
You will have to find your own path. Such as: Learn Frigates, Destroyers, Cruisers, Battlecruisers, and Battleships. Once you have finished learning battleships you can train to become an expert in one kind of battleship. Or you can train for T2 ships and get Assault Frigates, Interceptors, Covert Ops, Interdictors, Recons, Heavy assault cruisers, and command ships. After you learn command ships you can train up another set of skills.
As for gameplay you could make it your goal in life to get into a corp and run the 10/10 complexes, getting the highest end loot in the game, running the hardest dungeons in the game.
Or you could train and work towards becoming a producer and build battleships, T2 ships, modules, and everything else.
You could run missions till you have a +6 standing with "something" corp.
You could join a pvp corp and try to kill every single ship in the game.
You have to find what appeals to you the most and go after it. Once you have reached your goal. Set yourself a new goal.
|

Kurtis Lowe
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 19:57:00 -
[5]
once upon a time eve was a sandbox where the game was what the player made of it. Now it's mostly for PVP :) eg: the best pvp mmo there is or ever has been. just my opinion, but i'm sure i'm not the only one.
|

MotherMoon
Huang Yinglong FOUNDATI0N
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 19:58:00 -
[6]
like life. The purpose of EvE is to figure out what the purpose is.
One way of doing this could be messaging atomicbetty and asking to join her corp of pirate hunters down in Molden health
Or you could join a pirate corp and fight her!
and to find a way to PvP and PVE to fund your PVP. for instance I like selling dtatcores by using R&D agents to my corp which in turn use them to invent BPC's and build ships and modules which I trhen use the money I sold to my corp to buy what they invent at a lower cost than the market!
Plus I mission, kill rats and slavage wrecks on epic battlefields.
meaning when I'm in a gang I use my Electronic attack ship to lock down other ships and let my fleet take care of them while helplessly flail about at 30km webbed and scramed. Muhahahaha. ok more like 20 unless I use my expensive stuff.
and then after the 40 on 40 match is over and if I'm alive I go around salvaging the broken pieces of the ships (not loot that's something different) and I sell the salvage to the alliance or corp or to other players.
SO yeah I guess the purpose of eve in a way might really be to find a way to make a difference and effect other players, lend your skills and interests to better a group as a whole in a world with one servers and war. where everything you sell on the open market could be used my your enemies.
lets say you build battleships and sell them open market instead of in side the corp.
there is nothing stopping an enemy to buy that battleship you built and use it to fight you.
pink supporter! Future art director at CCP! or texture guy, either or :P http://www.digipen.edu/main/Gallery_Games_2004#Narbacular_Drop Was in class with these folks :P |

MotherMoon
Huang Yinglong FOUNDATI0N
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 20:00:00 -
[7]
Originally by: Kurtis Lowe once upon a time eve was a sandbox where the game was what the player made of it. Now it's mostly for PVP :) eg: the best pvp mmo there is or ever has been. just my opinion, but i'm sure i'm not the only one.
I don't know I think PvP was the point right out of the gate.
ninja mining and stuff and doing everything you can to have more power than other people.
trying to own your own space and protect it be terratorial.
like real in real life it's just what happens when you unlease people in a world. people like to own things and they like to be better than other people.
it's human nature.
pink supporter! Future art director at CCP! or texture guy, either or :P http://www.digipen.edu/main/Gallery_Games_2004#Narbacular_Drop Was in class with these folks :P |

prathe
Minmatar Omega Enterprises Mostly Harmless
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 20:01:00 -
[8]
your so doomed .
we have you now . there is no escape from eve only short vacations and even then youll think about it signature removed - please email us to find out why (include a link to the image URL) - Jacques([email protected])
why dont you just tell me ? |

Malcanis
Deep Core Mining Inc.
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 20:02:00 -
[9]
Originally by: Anaflex Hi all, first of all many thanks for opening the post and having a quick glance to see if it takes your interest.
I literally picked up the game last week whilst at a friends house he was playing X3 Reunion on his own and though that looked interesting and after some research found Eve to be similar in style of game only On-line. Being an avid fan of on-line gaming I booted up Eve last Saturday 29th Dec and I have not had many hours sleep since.
The complexity of the game is incredible and the external internet research/fan sites bolster the hobby which is what the game has become for me.
Now although in such a limited play time how can one know they will enjoy, for me it gripped me right away and I cancelled all other MMO subscriptions that how confident I was!
Now if you still awake from reading my intro I would like to ask one question if I may and that is "What is the purpose of the game"
This may seem a silly question, I understand I can trade, PVP, mission run, make things, trade, steal, along with a few more options im sure. Generally with an MMO say for example EQ2 or WOW you would level a character up and then joining a community and progress your character to perhaps kill some end game level boss with a large group, anywhere up to 20 players.
I am a heavy on-line player(5/6 nights a week) but right now I see no end goal and wonder if someone would be so kind as to explain, in perhaps lamens terms what that is.
In my short time of playing I have managed 100k skill points Mining Barge/Hauler/Destroyer done light manufacturing and limited trading and perhaps the odd boring mission. I have probably spent more time travelling than playing the game.
Any offers of advice, comments or help would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
Anaflex
Welcome to freedom.
make a few friends and do what you like.
CONCORD provide consequences, not safety; only you can do that. |

Valan
The Fated Interstellar Alcohol Conglomerate
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 20:17:00 -
[10]
Try things now while its easy to recover don't think you have to have a faction BS to lose before you try PvP, lowsec and 0.0.
/start sig I love old characters that post 'I've beeen playing the game four years' when I know their account has been sold on. /end sig |

brakespear
Minmatar Wayward Brewing
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 20:21:00 -
[11]
The purpose of Eve is to enjoy it - once that ceases you have reached 'endgame' and can stop.    -------------------------------------------------- brakespear - the lowest common denominator |

Adonis 4174
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 20:21:00 -
[12]
The purpose of Eve is to scare the hel out of you with other players when you least expect it. It's what keeps it exciting. ---- Anything less is wasted effort |

Harisdrop
Gallente The Graduates Brutally Clever Empire
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 20:22:00 -
[13]
Its about trying to be cool and hot chicks at the door.
Really its about economics. I blow your ship up and you blow my ship up. I make isk to get a new ship and try to kill you before you can do the same.
|

EuSouMal
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 20:27:00 -
[14]
Originally by: brakespear The purpose of Eve is to enjoy it - once that ceases you have reached 'endgame' and can stop.   
The best explanation ive ever seen in this forum 
|

Golan Cinquanteneuf
Gallente Far Star Technology
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 20:49:00 -
[15]
To the OP: Don't be misled by the previous posts. I've beaten Eve. The last boss is tough.
|

gfldex
Evolution Band of Brothers
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 21:04:00 -
[16]
In EvE you have to find out if you want to play solo or in a group. The rest will happen to you. --
There are countless games in the world. There are at least as many ppl that dont like one or more rules of said games. That never stopped smart game designers from creating good games.
|

jam6549
Our Leitmotif
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 21:40:00 -
[17]
this is how i see it:
EVE = MMO MMO = a game online with other ppl therefore EVE is a game I should play with other ppl Game = something you use to gain enjoyment therefore EVE is a something that I enjoy with other ppl.
IMO, EVE is a social enjoyment, much better then any other game, where it mirrors real-life and of course in real life, u choose your own goals.
Hope that helps
|

Crumplecorn
Gallente Eve Cluster Explorations
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 21:56:00 -
[18]
The purpose of the game is to understand it and use this understanding as ammunition on the forum against those who don't.
But, seriously, your goal in EVE is up to you, and it is hardly worth playing without one. -
DesuSigs |

Theo Samaritan
Gallente Pheonix Reborn
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 22:07:00 -
[19]
You are seriously telling me that as a player of X3 you need a purpose to play a game that on your own admission is similar? --------------
Templars do not tank Jita so well without a steady supply of Cake. |

Anaflex
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 22:17:00 -
[20]
Originally by: Theo Samaritan You are seriously telling me that as a player of X3 you need a purpose to play a game that on your own admission is similar?
I literally picked up the game last week whilst at a friends house he was playing X3 Reunion on his own and though that looked interesting and after some research found Eve to be similar in style of game only On-line. Being an avid fan of on-line gaming I booted up Eve last Saturday 29th Dec and I have not had many hours sleep since.
No mention of me playing X3 Reunion?
|

Theo Samaritan
Gallente Pheonix Reborn
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 22:23:00 -
[21]
Originally by: Anaflex
Originally by: Theo Samaritan You are seriously telling me that as a player of X3 you need a purpose to play a game that on your own admission is similar?
I literally picked up the game last week whilst at a friends house he was playing X3 Reunion on his own and though that looked interesting and after some research found Eve to be similar in style of game only On-line. Being an avid fan of on-line gaming I booted up Eve last Saturday 29th Dec and I have not had many hours sleep since.
No mention of me playing X3 Reunion?
Sorry, tired and stoned on painkillers (LEGIT)
there is no purpose. think of it as like any other sandbox mode. --------------
Templars do not tank Jita so well without a steady supply of Cake. |

Anaflex
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 22:23:00 -
[22]
Guys nice to see an active caring community with very helpful productive advice.
At the moment I find myself in a Corp that perhaps could be a little more active, seems it was formed around the same time I joined the game, now although the members are a great bunch perhaps I play the game more than their casual style and this may be hindering my fullfillment with lack of people to play with.
Thank you to those in game that has offered chats all night long, this really was a pleasure and I hope to cover your Six some day even if I am just a suicide target, you have my word justc all on me.
Regards
Anaflex
|

Mean Jeebus
Aliastra
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 22:50:00 -
[23]
I believe the purpose of Eve can be distilled into this:
The point of playing Eve is a story.
Some people like to read a story and remain at a distance - never to participate, yet are amused enough to always read just a little more. These people like to read the pages others have written but never really author their own. I guess you could call them carebears, solo players, or "Empire dwellers" in some cases - many of which are completely content as witnesses only.
Participating in the story is what attracts others. These people stay and are interested or amused by writing their own page in the story. There are many contributing authors - Industrialists, Pirates, Miners, Corporate leaders, and warmongers are some of the themes that make the story of Eve.
The people that leave probably never understand or agree with the concept of collaborative story writing. Enjoyment comes from writing your own page in the story of Eve - in my opinion.
|

Malcanis
Deep Core Mining Inc.
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 22:53:00 -
[24]
Originally by: Anaflex Guys nice to see an active caring community with very helpful productive advice.
At the moment I find myself in a Corp that perhaps could be a little more active, seems it was formed around the same time I joined the game, now although the members are a great bunch perhaps I play the game more than their casual style and this may be hindering my fullfillment with lack of people to play with.
Thank you to those in game that has offered chats all night long, this really was a pleasure and I hope to cover your Six some day even if I am just a suicide target, you have my word justc all on me.
Regards
Anaflex
Actually, even a 2-week old character can make himself surprisingly useful in PvP. A T1 frigate with a MWD, Web and Scram, that doesn't really care if he gets popped is Bad NewsÖ to an old character in an expensive ship. Holding down that T2-fit BS for just a few seconds till your friends can get on him....
CONCORD provide consequences, not safety; only you can do that. |

Menacing New
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 23:05:00 -
[25]
Originally by: prathe your so doomed .
we have you now . there is no escape from eve only short vacations and even then youll think about it
The man speaks the truth. Last time I went on vacation I came home 2 days early to change a skill . Stupid EVE!
I've tried leaving EVE too but you always come back .
You find a corp, you make friends, you have fun, and you can't leave. That's EVE.
|

Novemb3r
Vale Heavy Industries Molotov Coalition
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 23:34:00 -
[26]
Edited by: Novemb3r on 09/01/2008 23:35:40 The purpose of eve is to flip cans of newb miners for easy kills and to wardec industrial corps in empire to make your epeen feel big. -
|

Grayclay
Caldari Imperium Technologies
|
Posted - 2008.01.09 23:39:00 -
[27]
Your assuming that all MMOs have a purpose, or a point, or an end-game. Not true. Sure, with grindfests like WoW, the point is to get to max level as fast as possible so you can fight the big bad guys to get better loot so you can kill the big bad guys faster so you can get better loot faster (and on and on and on). But in EvE, this is impossible. It will take you 27 years to train every skill in the game to 5. The closest this game comes to an "end-game" is when your completely content with your skills and abilities.
Oh, by the way, that never happens 
|

Anaflex
|
Posted - 2008.01.10 01:01:00 -
[28]
Edited by: Anaflex on 10/01/2008 01:03:07 Edited by: Anaflex on 10/01/2008 01:02:23 I have had tons of private conversations this evenings and had lots of advice given to me and I truly am greatful, I think I have made the most improvement with the game in a single night than the 2 weeks I have already played.
My buddies list has trippled, my URL list has tenfold and my head is hurting from knowledge.
Special thanks to for lengthy discussion:- Malcanis Ash Vincetti
I now have a better understanding of the game I think I can even get myself to goals which in turn makes this worth playing.
Ho and thank you to whoever deposited 5Mil ISK into my account you have doubled my money and I shall spend/invest this wisely.
Perhaps this ISK may even go towards a Agony Unleashed PVP course once I build up the courage to enrol.
Regards
Your friend Anaflex
|

Vincenzo Delloro
Amarr Lux et Veritas
|
Posted - 2008.01.10 01:46:00 -
[29]
I do it for the chicks.
The ladies love my Abbadon.
|

DubanFP
Caldari Four Rings Phalanx Alliance
|
Posted - 2008.01.10 01:54:00 -
[30]
Edited by: DubanFP on 10/01/2008 01:55:44
Originally by: Anaflex Guys nice to see an active caring community with very helpful productive advice.
At the moment I find myself in a Corp that perhaps could be a little more active, seems it was formed around the same time I joined the game, now although the members are a great bunch perhaps I play the game more than their casual style and this may be hindering my fullfillment with lack of people to play with.
Thank you to those in game that has offered chats all night long, this really was a pleasure and I hope to cover your Six some day even if I am just a suicide target, you have my word justc all on me.
Regards
Anaflex
The EVE community is EXTREMELY mature & helpful if you're nice in return unlike some games *hackcough* WoW *hackcough*. Just dont' complain if someone kills you without provocation, your mear existance in this game is provocation enough. If you do you'll be skinned alive. Speaking as a person that's skinned several people alive that is. ___________
Desolacer> Who the heck gives YOU the right to ruin it for others buy blowing them up.
Zaqar> CCP |
| |
|
| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |