| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Ahnog Tuttle
Intergalactic Amalgamated Inc.
|
Posted - 2008.04.04 12:36:00 -
[1]
I am surprised at the number of candidates who are running on a platform that promises they are going to the council to fix the lag. I believe this is not an issue for the CSM election.
Do we have lag, especially in relationship to 0.0 blobs? Yes we do. However, CCP has told us they are working on the problem by consulting with Microsoft and IBM on a possible future super computer.
Additionally, lag is a problem that will always be with us. When they fix the current lag problems players will increase the size of their blobs to reach the ceiling of the new fix.
Third, fixing lag depends on the advancement of computer technology. Yes, advances are being made every day on the technology front, but it is still a relatively slow process. Take chips for example. They are about as fast as they can be. That's why we are seeing dual and quad cores. Instead of making them faster (because a ceiling has been hit) they are using multiple chips in the same computer.
Finally, CSM does not have the power to fix anything, and anyone who promises you they can is blowing smoke up your skirt. They can only suggest to CCP what its priority should be on fixing issues. CCP, and CCP alone, can fix issues.
For these reasons and more I don't believe lag is an issue that candidates should run on. The best CSM can do on the lag issue is to keep us informed on the progress of the super computer project. Personally, I will not vote for anyone who runs on the platform that they are there to fix lag--it is not a CSM issue.
Ahnog Tuttle My Eve Site |

Zorai Miraden
East Khanid Trading Khanid Trade Syndicate
|
Posted - 2008.04.04 12:52:00 -
[2]
I 100% aggree. CCP has been fighting lag since I started playing the game well over a year ago. I can't remember how many times I've seen blogs about CCP's new server hardware. And last I heard they are replacing the server completely again some time this year.
I don't know of any other MMO that I could run 3 accounts at the same time via dialup with little slow down.
I doubt it's possible to kill lag entirely but CCP has done an amazing job with what's been done so far.
I think those campaigning against lag are just looking for a free Iceland Vacation on your dime. Recruitment Thread EKT Website |

Shakuul
O RLY corp YTMND.
|
Posted - 2008.04.04 13:18:00 -
[3]
Its probably more feasible to kill blobs (by, say, adding some sort of diminishing returns with # of ships in an area) than to kill lag, although then you still have Jita lag (which I think could be solved by taxing people in high-pop systems).
|

Winterblink
Body Count Inc. Mercenary Coalition
|
Posted - 2008.04.04 13:24:00 -
[4]
Originally by: Shakuul Its probably more feasible to kill blobs (by, say, adding some sort of diminishing returns with # of ships in an area) than to kill lag, although then you still have Jita lag (which I think could be solved by taxing people in high-pop systems).
Feasibility doesn't factor into this really. What's the CSM going to be able to do, other than tell CCP that the masses don't like the lag (a fact which they're already very well aware of)?
Taxing doesn't make any kind of sense other than being a pointless isk sink that takes cash and tosses it into a black hole. It would only end up penalizing the majority (ref. Dr.E's Econ Newsletters) of players for no reason. I'm pretty sure the push is more for player-driven isk sinks than arbitrary ones.
|

Tarminic
Forsaken Resistance The Last Stand
|
Posted - 2008.04.04 14:13:00 -
[5]
I think what the CSM can do regarding lag has much more to do with communication than actual solutions.
CCP is working hard to fix lag, and I doubt that the CSM will ***** the whip and suddenly lag will be eliminated. If that were possibly then CCP would have already done it. What the CSM can do is be much more specific regarding what CCP is actually doing to fix lag, in more detail than saying "We're building a supercomputer with IBM." Of course, that's not going to satisfy a lot of people, but then again what would aside from a miracle? ---------------- Tarminic - 34 Million SP in Forum Warfare Play EVE: Downtime Madness v0.79.5 (Updated 4/2) |
| |
|
| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |