| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Erunamane
Damage Control Inc
|
Posted - 2008.05.16 23:08:00 -
[1]
I've read on the forums that it's supposed to be 85% of performance for the Mac Client as opposed as the PC one, but I'm actually wondering if it's the real number. I haven't read all the posts, but the most recents ones I've found said something to that effect.
I'll give you my example: Mac Client: Outside, looking at the sun and a station, not moving, I get between 4-15 FPS. That's with all the options out and so on. PC client, under bootcamp: get a constant 80 FPS, with all options disabled (but Premium graphics)
All of this is on a MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz, Nvidia 8600GT, 2GB RAM.
I'm pretty sure that's not even close to 85%( ) so I'm wondering if people would post what they get so we could get an actual average number of what the real performance of the client is.
|

James Hetfeild
|
Posted - 2008.05.17 18:34:00 -
[2]
Sitting cloakded @ a ss with 50 in system (0.0): 37.3 fps steady
Camping station with 10 people outside the station and drones out, 50 in local, and a small bubble deployed: 22-25 FPs
Running on a MBP 2.5 proccesor 2gb ram
Running on Mac CLient.
|

Erunamane
Damage Control Inc
|
Posted - 2008.05.17 22:41:00 -
[3]
Originally by: James Hetfeild Sitting cloakded @ a ss with 50 in system (0.0): 37.3 fps steady
Camping station with 10 people outside the station and drones out, 50 in local, and a small bubble deployed: 22-25 FPs
Running on a MBP 2.5 proccesor 2gb ram
Running on Mac CLient.
Wow, that's pretty good. Have you tweaked any settings of the client, or was it "out of the box" performance, so to speak?
|

James Hetfeild
|
Posted - 2008.05.18 00:26:00 -
[4]
Havent changed any settings on the esc menue except for the auto lock back feature. Did some some roaming with the fleet today (30ish pilots) and fps didn't go below 12 except when loading systems after jumping. And this is on the classic graphics.
|

James Hetfeild
|
Posted - 2008.05.18 00:30:00 -
[5]
however I did get the major graphic glitch where all the background space goes to millions of different colors and looks like i'm trapped in a massive cube in space (dunno if there is a term for this).
The overview and all ship controls were still visible and I was able to fly normaly. Note that fps did not drop during this graphic glitch. It only happens after Ive been playing for awhile... so I'm thinking it may have something to do with overheating.
|

James Hetfeild
|
Posted - 2008.05.18 20:07:00 -
[6]
More info for you...
Sitting in 0.0 with 109 in local camping a station... 30 ships on grid, drones out and a dictor bubble. Getting steady 25 FPS with moments ranging from 19-28 FPS
|

James Hetfeild
|
Posted - 2008.05.18 21:22:00 -
[7]
Yay FIrst fleet battle with a mac!
I turned all the effects off and noticed a boost in fps.
ALright the battle had about 60 friendly and 40 hostile all on a gate with dictor bubbles and drones out.
I had a constant fps of 11 with highs of 14 and spikes going down to 8 fps (but no freezes yay) was able to target, control weapons, and drones no with no problems.
|

Erunamane
Damage Control Inc
|
Posted - 2008.05.18 22:32:00 -
[8]
I really am a bit stumped by the performance you are getting if I strictly compare them to mine. What I mean is that your performance is probably akin to what we should be getting, a.k.a the famous 85%, but a lot of other people, as far as I can see, are getting sub-par performance.
The thing is, really, that for Macs, they aren't an infinite number of different configurations, yet, some of us get crappy performance, while others get very good performance. All of this with minimal hardware, and software, variations. I mean, simply look at the difference between our configs: you have the 2.5ghz processor while I have the 2.4 one, yet we get some massive difference in performance.
I really can't seem to understand what's the reason. 
|

James Hetfeild
|
Posted - 2008.05.19 00:40:00 -
[9]
hrmmmmm... yeah the difference in preformance is strange. I'm running on mac's latest version of the MBP not sure if that has something to do with it... Like differenct types of chipsets or proccesors between different generations of the MBP.
I did notice that zooming way out and turning off the effects gave a boost to FPS. Also having the least amount of chat/fleet windows helps greatly. (If I fly with no overview and all the chatboxes closed, fps jumps up to the 50's in space)
Have you tried reinstaling the client? Not sure if that will help but it's worth a try, EVE is weird like that.
|

James Hetfeild
|
Posted - 2008.05.19 00:46:00 -
[10]
ALso thinking that we might be getting different levels of preformance due to our respective locations. Do you play on a node that has a heavy load? I'm out in 0.0 where there are often times no players for several jumps.
|

James Hetfeild
|
Posted - 2008.05.19 04:26:00 -
[11]
I just changed the cashe option on the escape menue to "extrem" which is giving me better fps now. With this setting I'm getting 51 FPS constant.
|

Erunamane
Damage Control Inc
|
Posted - 2008.05.19 14:11:00 -
[12]
I don't believe it has anything to do with location: as I said, under bootcamp, I get very good constant performance. As for the cache thing, I tried that a while ago and saw absolutely no change in performance.
I might have to check what the precise hardware details are on the CPU, you might have a point in that some characteristics of it may play a role.
But yeah, all in all, I guess I could try reinstalling again, it wouldn't hurt.
|

Erunamane
Damage Control Inc
|
Posted - 2008.05.19 17:03:00 -
[13]
Well, I'll be damned...
With a clean install, I've had a boost of 20-30 FPS, straight out of the box. I haven't checked with settings yet, so it may be even better.
Thanks for the idea!
|

James Hetfeild
|
Posted - 2008.05.19 18:09:00 -
[14]
Sweet, I'm glad it helped!
|

Erunamane
Damage Control Inc
|
Posted - 2008.05.19 20:52:00 -
[15]
Strange thing happened. I restarted the client a few hours later and found out that the performance had redropped to before reinstall state. I figured that I had been turning off effects ingame from the ingame commands and decided to delete all the preference files to see what happened.
Well, I got back 30 FPS more the next time I restarted the client.
Conclusion, at least for my system: don't turn off ship effects and so on. Seems that one of those is responsible for a massive drop in FPS. I'll try to check which one later on.
|

James Hetfeild
|
Posted - 2008.05.20 03:25:00 -
[16]
LOL freaky
|
| |
|
| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |