| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Sorath Anaaro
|
Posted - 2009.01.04 17:56:00 -
[1]
I'm sure this is already written in some previous post, I just haven't found it yet. Anyway, the question is: can anyone tell me a good system to start trading in? I don't have the funds to compete with the big boys, but the region must still be travelled by many players. I don't think that Jita is the best place to start in, is Amarr or Rens better?
|

Stardust CEO
Stardust Manufacturing
|
Posted - 2009.01.04 18:04:00 -
[2]
Why don't you do just a LITLLE bit of research yourself? Open your map, set starmap to color systems by number of jumps, or pilots currently in system, and sell where the people are. Use your head.
|

Brynden Blackfish
|
Posted - 2009.01.04 18:07:00 -
[3]
Go to Solitude :)
|

Quan Morin
|
Posted - 2009.01.04 18:10:00 -
[4]
I've done research, just before I opened the forum again I did just that, looking at the map to see which system there are many pilots in. I just wanted to ask...
|

Rellick
Stellaris Strain
|
Posted - 2009.01.04 18:10:00 -
[5]
To be honest, at least in my experience so far (recently started trading only a few months ago) I've found that one doesn't necessarily need to be in or even near a major trading hub to be successful. I'm currently working on a system quite a few jumps from Jita and having a lot of success there. As Stardust said, just research, where people are and what their needs are in said place for example, and cater to them. Easy as pie.
|

Lord Zarcam
Amarr Royal Amarr Institute
|
Posted - 2009.01.04 18:23:00 -
[6]
Originally by: Sorath Anaaro I'm sure this is already written in some previous post, I just haven't found it yet. Anyway, the question is: can anyone tell me a good system to start trading in? I don't have the funds to compete with the big boys, but the region must still be travelled by many players. I don't think that Jita is the best place to start in, is Amarr or Rens better?
The trading hubs ARE where the big boys play. You need to get away from the hubs first. Then think "profit margin". Research is your friend!
|

Aluin Chaput
Caldari The Monad Family La Cosa Nostra Alliance
|
Posted - 2009.01.04 18:26:00 -
[7]
You could start out in Hek... it is the Mimmatar hub, but people don't even rank it on the top 6 any more. Good prices, and if you region hop, you can find some big differences in prices there, and Hek price.
|

Danae Ori
|
Posted - 2009.01.04 18:28:00 -
[8]
As a noob trader, chase the small fish that the big sharks choose to ignore. Major hubs aren't necessary. You can still trade in a remote system with a population 5-10% the size of a major hub and still turn over a very healthy profit.
|

Celestra Doxaila
MinTek Heavy Industries
|
Posted - 2009.01.04 19:52:00 -
[9]
If you are starting out in trading; don't look for a major trading hub, as people with huge assets can walk all over you.
Instead look for a mission running hub with a small market. Mission runners are always looking to buy materials and equipment, and are always selling loot they have found.
Prices in outlying areas are much more favorable for the traders, since there may be good that are just unavailable unless the buyer pays an inflated price.
|

soldieroffortune 258
Gallente Trinity Council.
|
Posted - 2009.01.04 21:55:00 -
[10]
Originally by: Lord Zarcam
Originally by: Sorath Anaaro I'm sure this is already written in some previous post, I just haven't found it yet. Anyway, the question is: can anyone tell me a good system to start trading in? I don't have the funds to compete with the big boys, but the region must still be travelled by many players. I don't think that Jita is the best place to start in, is Amarr or Rens better?
The trading hubs ARE where the big boys play. You need to get away from the hubs first. Then think "profit margin". Research is your friend!
im not sure, thats where i started my trade alt, and in a month went from 20million-160million
not the BEST , but when i started it, corpies told me that trading isnt instant isk
Originally by: soldieroffortune 258
"Eve is about making yourself richer while making the other guy poorer"
|

Kazzac Elentria
|
Posted - 2009.01.04 21:59:00 -
[11]
Originally by: soldieroffortune 258
im not sure, thats where i started my trade alt, and in a month went from 20million-160million
not the BEST , but when i started it, corpies told me that trading isnt instant isk
Best quote I ever had was from a pirate corp friend, that had popped someone in local one afternoon. Told me the story about it, and about how he went and bought another ship to try and take him down again, subsequently to get popped again. Went on to say he didn't get much from the wrecks but some meta mods.
I told him thats funny, and well and good. But those two battleships he bought from me at an inflated 20% mark up cause I had manipulated the market that week.
To which he replied
"And they call us the pirates" |

Kata Dakini
An Eye For An Eye Rigor Mortis Mortalis
|
Posted - 2009.01.05 08:20:00 -
[12]
As a very crude and simple example...
Yesterday I had to make a few jumps off a major hub to get a couple mods that were way overpriced in the hub. Three jumps later, I had the mods I wanted for 1/3 the price, bought up the rest of 'em (along with a handful of other things that were cheaper than in the hub), went back to the hub and within an hour I had turned a 10 mil profit.
I'm not a trader, and if I can turn that kind of profit with very little effort, you should be able to as well.
For more enjoyment and greater efficiency, consumption is being standardized.
|

Rho'varo
Minmatar Diversified Operational Services
|
Posted - 2009.01.05 10:08:00 -
[13]
Originally by: Aluin Chaput You could start out in Hek... it is the Mimmatar hub, but people don't even rank it on the top 6 any more. Good prices, and if you region hop, you can find some big differences in prices there, and Hek price.
In my time (2004-10 onwards), Rens has always outclassed Hek as the Minmatar hub, in terms of number of pilots in Local and volumes traded. Hek has grown from its initial post-Yulai position, but doesn't threaten Rens yet.
In 2006, for example (the most recent period for which I have complete data), the mineral trade in Heimatar (measured in volume or in ISK) was roughly 2.5 times that of Metropolis, even though the latter has roughly twice as many solar systems.
The 2008-01 QEN (yes, I know that's a bit out of date too) seemed to suggest that Jita, Rens and Amarr were the three main trading hubs: 'It comes as no surprise that the regions around the trade hubs in Jita, Rens and Amarr are the most travelled [...]'.
That said, since the volume in Hek is lower, some prices can be higher and there may be less competition in order updating, so it can be a decent place to sell some things.
á á
|

G'kek
|
Posted - 2009.01.05 20:07:00 -
[14]
Greator Profits can actually be made in outlying regions due to the rule of laziness.
|

Kazzac Elentria
|
Posted - 2009.01.05 20:10:00 -
[15]
Originally by: G'kek Greator Profits can actually be made in outlying regions due to the rule of laziness.
Unless you focus on volume
Sure I can move 30 t1 cruisers at a 15% markup, but in the trade hubs with some order camping I can move 130 at 5% |

G'kek
|
Posted - 2009.01.05 20:46:00 -
[16]
But in the trade hubs you do run into more competition with people with bigger pockets than you. I should have probably added 'for newer market traders'.
|

Clair Bear
Perkone
|
Posted - 2009.01.05 23:18:00 -
[17]
Trade hubs are the place to go for any kind of volume.
Bigger pockets require trading bigger ticket items. Making a 10% profit on a 10k isk item a few times a day is great when you have hundreds of K, but it's not worth an alt order slot once you have hundreds of millions. Never mind hundreds of billions.
Go ahead and give Jita a try. Start small, get an idea of your competition and work your way up. I recommend getting started with meta 3 and 4 mission loot you know is useful to new mission runners.
|
| |
|
| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |