| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Joe Skellington
|
Posted - 2009.02.12 15:31:00 -
[1]
Anyone remember StarflightI and II? I think it would be awesome if you could land on the planet surface and mine and retrieve lifeforms for trade like you could in Starflight. In Starflight you had to scan the planet for mass and gravity, if the gravity was to high you couldn't land for risk of crushing your lander. Your ship never landed, you had to deploy a ATV (all terrain vehicle) to land on the planet proper to roam around until your fuel was low and you had to go back up to the ship. I think that would add a very sweet dynamic to the game if this was added. Most of the fun I had with Starflight was roaming through planetary systems scanning planets for lifeforms and minerals.
|

Terminus Vindictus
|
Posted - 2009.02.12 15:40:00 -
[2]
As long as planetary flight, walk-in stations, planetary first-person shooter, and other crazy stuff in the develoipers' minds happens on separate servers I'm OK with it. Personally I think too many of those ideas would ruin EVE by trying to turn it into other games we all choose not to play in lieu of EVE... But that's just me I guess.
|

Joe Skellington
|
Posted - 2009.02.12 15:54:00 -
[3]
Edited by: Joe Skellington on 12/02/2009 15:54:08
Originally by: Terminus Vindictus As long as planetary flight, walk-in stations, planetary first-person shooter, and other crazy stuff in the develoipers' minds happens on separate servers I'm OK with it. Personally I think too many of those ideas would ruin EVE by trying to turn it into other games we all choose not to play in lieu of EVE... But that's just me I guess.
I think it would add more options like mining Asteroids, all you would have was a lander that roamed the surface mining nodes like you would an asteroid or zaping lifeforms into a stasis container and haul it up to the ship.
|

Elysarian
Minmatar dudetruck corp
|
Posted - 2009.02.12 16:52:00 -
[4]
Originally by: Joe Skellington Edited by: Joe Skellington on 12/02/2009 15:54:08
Originally by: Terminus Vindictus As long as planetary flight, walk-in stations, planetary first-person shooter, and other crazy stuff in the develoipers' minds happens on separate servers I'm OK with it. Personally I think too many of those ideas would ruin EVE by trying to turn it into other games we all choose not to play in lieu of EVE... But that's just me I guess.
I think it would add more options like mining Asteroids, all you would have was a lander that roamed the surface mining nodes like you would an asteroid or zaping lifeforms into a stasis container and haul it up to the ship.
Sounds a bit like Spore to me :P
On the OP's idea though: I have more memories of planetary landing in the later (Frontier, First Encounter) Elite games - you could land, place a mining rig on the surface then bugger off for a bit and come back later to retrieve it (and anything it'd mined) - those games also had "bases" on planets which served the same purpose as orbital stations - would be nice to have in Eve but I can see issues with some of the ship models (Maelstrom for example?) making planetfall... maybe only certain ships would be allowed to land? ===================================== It smells of spoon! ===================================== |

Joe Skellington
|
Posted - 2009.02.12 17:10:00 -
[5]
Originally by: Elysarian
On the OP's idea though: I have more memories of planetary landing in the later (Frontier, First Encounter) Elite games - you could land, place a mining rig on the surface then bugger off for a bit and come back later to retrieve it (and anything it'd mined) - those games also had "bases" on planets which served the same purpose as orbital stations - would be nice to have in Eve but I can see issues with some of the ship models (Maelstrom for example?) making planetfall... maybe only certain ships would be allowed to land?
I played Elite as well, but I think the solution would be to have a lander instead of the entire ship. The U.S.S. Enterprise for example had shuttle craft for that purpose as well.
|

Gaulian Fidelis
|
Posted - 2009.02.12 17:21:00 -
[6]
Originally by: Terminus Vindictus As long as planetary flight, walk-in stations, planetary first-person shooter, and other crazy stuff in the develoipers' minds happens on separate servers I'm OK with it. Personally I think too many of those ideas would ruin EVE by trying to turn it into other games we all choose not to play in lieu of EVE... But that's just me I guess.
argh!
it wouldn't turn eve into something else. It would only add to eve. Think of different games existing in one universe, making it better and attracting a huge audience, and even giving you the choice to do something else in the same game.
I think planetary first-person tactical shooter would be awesome, nothing like quake but more like rainbow 6 on a larger scale (and better made hopefully). I also think planetary flight would complement the planetary first-person part. Honestly, the only thing I understand as a flashy little fun thing is walk-in stations. I honestly think it's useless in the grand scheme of things but would be kind of fun, unless you get to invade stations =D
You'll get to fly all you want and never have to set foot on the surface of a planet if you don't want. I'm sure there will be plenty of players who decide to stay in space like you if they ever decide to implement any of those things.
|

Isabella Montague
Gallente RUDE Alliance
|
Posted - 2009.02.12 17:38:00 -
[7]
Originally by: Gaulian Fidelis
Originally by: Terminus Vindictus As long as planetary flight, walk-in stations, planetary first-person shooter, and other crazy stuff in the develoipers' minds happens on separate servers I'm OK with it. Personally I think too many of those ideas would ruin EVE by trying to turn it into other games we all choose not to play in lieu of EVE... But that's just me I guess.
argh!
it wouldn't turn eve into something else. It would only add to eve. Think of different games existing in one universe, making it better and attracting a huge audience, and even giving you the choice to do something else in the same game.
I think planetary first-person tactical shooter would be awesome, nothing like quake but more like rainbow 6 on a larger scale (and better made hopefully). I also think planetary flight would complement the planetary first-person part. Honestly, the only thing I understand as a flashy little fun thing is walk-in stations. I honestly think it's useless in the grand scheme of things but would be kind of fun, unless you get to invade stations =D
You'll get to fly all you want and never have to set foot on the surface of a planet if you don't want. I'm sure there will be plenty of players who decide to stay in space like you if they ever decide to implement any of those things.
I've heard a lot of good interesting ideas regarding planets, but the FPS deal isn't one of them. Not even remotely.
|

Gaulian Fidelis
|
Posted - 2009.02.12 17:42:00 -
[8]
You should definitely place an "I think" or "my opinion is" in front of that statement because that's all it is, an opinion. There are plenty of players out there who would love the tactical shooter/FPS thrown into eve. Hell, I've known a lot of Eve players who have played planetside and loved it, and who might love seeing an FPS in eve. I don't know whether or not your in the minority, but your opinion isn't the grand voice of the people, and you have no logic behind anything you said either, so your opinion doesn't really matter.
|

Grarr Dexx
Amarr Divinity's Edge
|
Posted - 2009.02.12 18:18:00 -
[9]
"would be cool, awesome, etc"
No.
|

Abrazzar
|
Posted - 2009.02.12 18:26:00 -
[10]
I like it. I have a fond memory of making a mint running around mineral rich planets and collecting ores. Or zapping some creatures to sell them to the locals or collecting Nid Berries for that emo race.
A level of detail on planets like it was found with Starflight would add greatly to EVE.
-------- Ideas for: Mining
|

Isabella Montague
Gallente RUDE Alliance
|
Posted - 2009.02.12 18:27:00 -
[11]
Originally by: Gaulian Fidelis You should definitely place an "I think" or "my opinion is" in front of that statement because that's all it is, an opinion. There are plenty of players out there who would love the tactical shooter/FPS thrown into eve. Hell, I've known a lot of Eve players who have played planetside and loved it, and who might love seeing an FPS in eve. I don't know whether or not your in the minority, but your opinion isn't the grand voice of the people, and you have no logic behind anything you said either, so your opinion doesn't really matter.
Last time I checked this was a forum. Forums are used to post ones opinion. I'm not posting YOUR opinion that's for sure. Unless stated otherwise ("Gaulian thinks..."), the "I think" or "in my opinion" is implied and would be redundant.
Having things like walking in station and landing on planets are interesting and there are a lot of good ideas out there. In the end EVE stays an MMORPG even with these ideas. EVE retains the same style of play.
Adding an FPS to EVE completely changes the style of play of the game. It wasn't a good idea when they turned Rainbow Six: Lockdown and the Vegas' into 'Halo Six', and it's not a good idea now.
|

David Grogan
Gallente The Motley Crew
|
Posted - 2009.02.12 20:33:00 -
[12]
planets should be landable even if only as trade posts even in out 0.0
also they should have a limited amount harvestable materials used to make t3 stuff out in wormspace SIG: if my message has spelling errors its cos i fail at typing properly :P |

shady trader
|
Posted - 2009.02.12 21:45:00 -
[13]
CCP have a plan for planetary interaction that will eventually lead to use being able to walk on them. Its on the drawing board of the website under patch notes, walking in stations is part of the long term plan. Macrointel, the place were the nature order of the universe does not hold sway. Pirates and ore thief's are congratulated by carebears for the actions. |

Marcus Gideon
Gallente Excessive Force
|
Posted - 2009.02.12 22:04:00 -
[14]
0.02 isk worth...
Trit says it's unstable at atmospheric temperatures. So the vast majority of ships that have Trit as a primary material would be unable to survive landing. --- Don't take my ranting personally. I may just be arguing the topic, unless you're saying something stupid, and then I mean every word. "Players don't want Variety. They want THE BEST" |

Isabella Montague
Gallente RUDE Alliance
|
Posted - 2009.02.12 22:47:00 -
[15]
Originally by: Marcus Gideon 0.02 isk worth...
Trit says it's unstable at atmospheric temperatures. So the vast majority of ships that have Trit as a primary material would be unable to survive landing.
Unless it were made out of some kind of alloy.
|

Ashan Sul
|
Posted - 2009.02.12 23:25:00 -
[16]
Originally by: Marcus Gideon 0.02 isk worth...
Trit says it's unstable at atmospheric temperatures. So the vast majority of ships that have Trit as a primary material would be unable to survive landing.
Just as paint is applied to metals so they won't corrode, and varnish is used for wood finishing to give it shine and protection, some kind of coating could be found for ships, so it's not a big thing
As for the above mentioned fps, rather than making it a part of eve, i think a separate game would be best, one that happens in the eve universe, is influenced by events in eve online and influences events in eve online. If you desire interaction, i suggest limiting to something like transport, i.e. the players in the fps are transported to other worlds by the npc's or players in eve online ( that should be more than enough, like not being to go somewhere because people avoid that area, etc etc )
|
| |
|
| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |