| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Sophie Sandraven
Center for Advanced Studies Gallente Federation
0
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 11:25:00 -
[1] - Quote
Do you think CCP should ever create interior cockpits for each ship? So you can walk around and mess about while warping and such? I personally think it would be awesome. Thoughts below! |

Dheeradj Nurgle
Dreddit Test Alliance Please Ignore
217
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 11:32:00 -
[2] - Quote
No |

Thebriwan
LUX Uls Xystus
114
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 11:42:00 -
[3] - Quote
You character is in a pod - he can not walk around... |

Pak Narhoo
Splinter Foundation
889
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 11:48:00 -
[4] - Quote
Thebriwan wrote:You character is in a pod - he can not walk around... Lies! I have slaves carrying my pod around all over my ship! Hi, I'm CCP Arrow, I screwed up the.. ummm... |

Turelus
Caldari Independent Navy Reserve The Fourth District
253
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 11:51:00 -
[5] - Quote
Sophie Sandraven wrote:Do you think CCP should ever create interior cockpits for each ship? So you can walk around and mess about while warping and such? I personally think it would be awesome. Thoughts below! I would rather have corporation offices first so I can see my friends and salute them. Aslo your character is normally inside a pod of goo being "god like" when in their ship. "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves." |

ACE McFACE
Holy Amarrian Battlemonk I Whip My Slaves Back and Forth
1113
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 11:53:00 -
[6] - Quote
Pak Narhoo wrote:Thebriwan wrote:You character is in a pod - he can not walk around... Lies! I have slaves carrying my pod around all over my ship! Well technically its not you walking around then is it? DUST514 isn't on PC because CCP wants 2 different communities influencing each other, not people tabbing out to give themselves Orbital Strikes. (Also they don't want to cannibalise their existing playerbase) |

Sophie Sandraven
Center for Advanced Studies Gallente Federation
0
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 12:07:00 -
[7] - Quote
Turelus wrote:Sophie Sandraven wrote:Do you think CCP should ever create interior cockpits for each ship? So you can walk around and mess about while warping and such? I personally think it would be awesome. Thoughts below! I would rather have corporation offices first so I can see my friends and salute them. Aslo your character is normally inside a pod of goo being "god like" when in their ship.
Haha I'm fairly new to this obviously and only just realised that you are actually stuck in your pod all the time /facepalm! In that case I hope they add to the walking around stuff. Maybe have like a market area where you can trade and stuff and see other peoples avatars. Would add to the immersion. :)
|

Provence Tristram
Federal Navy Academy Gallente Federation
2
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 12:13:00 -
[8] - Quote
I answer to the OP, no, although I admit it would be cool. The problem with the pods is that we are, of course, stuck in them the entire time we are flying around. I have to wonder if, had CCP a chance to make the game all over again, they wouldn't just find another way that didn't involve pods. That way, we could view our ships as conventional, space-lore based vessels, where we stride pridefully around our bridge while fighting these titanic space battles (only to miraculously make it to an escape pod shortly before the vessel explodes) rather than locking all the characters inside these little metal eggs.
To be honest, though, my subconscious tends to imagine my character walking around on the bridge anyway, even if I know it isn't the case. |

Sophie Sandraven
Center for Advanced Studies Gallente Federation
0
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 12:18:00 -
[9] - Quote
Provence Tristram wrote:I answer to the OP, no, although I admit it would be cool. The problem with the pods is that we are, of course, stuck in them the entire time we are flying around. I have to wonder if, had CCP a chance to make the game all over again, they wouldn't just find another way that didn't involve pods. That way, we could view our ships as conventional, space-lore based vessels, where we stride pridefully around our bridge while fighting these titanic space battles (only to miraculously make it to an escape pod shortly before the vessel explodes) rather than locking all the characters inside these little metal eggs.
To be honest, though, my subconscious tends to imagine my character walking around on the bridge anyway, even if I know it isn't the case.
Yeah I know what you mean. I imagine that myself but keep thinking it would be so awesome walking around on the bridge and too see the amazing nebulas and such out the window wherever you are. Then lock onto targets and see the ship turn round and fire. Would be so ace! But yeah as I have just learnt, you are stuck in those pods whenever you leave your quarters! I'll just imagine for now then :) |

Aracimia Wolfe
Fade To Darkness
164
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 12:29:00 -
[10] - Quote
Provence Tristram wrote:I answer to the OP, no, although I admit it would be cool. The problem with the pods is that we are, of course, stuck in them the entire time we are flying around. I have to wonder if, had CCP a chance to make the game all over again, they wouldn't just find another way that didn't involve pods. That way, we could view our ships as conventional, space-lore based vessels, where we stride pridefully around our bridge while fighting these titanic space battles (only to miraculously make it to an escape pod shortly before the vessel explodes) rather than locking all the characters inside these little metal eggs.
To be honest, though, my subconscious tends to imagine my character walking around on the bridge anyway, even if I know it isn't the case.
Holographical avatar projection systems built into the bridge. Great for face to face crew communications, ship status visualisations and scaring the crap out of people by walking through walls. Not to mention voyeurism on a scale unheard of by man. I like my coffee like I like my men. In a plastic cup http://aracimia.blogspot.co.uk/ |

Rana Ash
Gradient Electus Matari
130
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 12:30:00 -
[11] - Quote
Well technically. nothing is stopping you from having a hologram representation. That walks around the ship, could be fun to scare the crew by just popping into view 
Demmit just a bit to late  |

Vera Algaert
Republic University Minmatar Republic
732
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 12:30:00 -
[12] - Quote
Thebriwan wrote:You character is in a pod - he can not walk around... CCP has been pushing away from the pod concept for some time now (chronicles mentioning capsuleers walking around inside the ship during flight, pod-less consciousness transfer, emphasis that capsuleer ships have a sizable crew, disappearance of the decanting process in WiS, making you leave your pod every single time you dock at a station, ...) , imo it's only a matter of time until they'll get rid off the concept entirely (and redefine "pod" as "your ship's escape pod which you only enter when things turn bad").
"you spend almost all of your life are floating around in a dark capsule full of jelly with lots of cables plugged into your spine that feed you information from camera drones and ship sensors" just doesn't sell well.
"you are some bigshot ordering people around on your ship's bridge" does. I'm a NPC corp alt, any argument I make is invalid. |

Provence Tristram
Federal Navy Academy Gallente Federation
3
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 12:37:00 -
[13] - Quote
Vera Algaert wrote:Thebriwan wrote:You character is in a pod - he can not walk around... CCP has been pushing away from the pod concept for some time now (chronicles mentioning capsuleers walking around inside the ship during flight, pod-less consciousness transfer, emphasis that capsuleer ships have a sizable crew, disappearance of the decanting process in WiS, making you leave your pod every single time you dock at a station, ...) , imo it's only a matter of time until they'll get rid off the concept entirely (and redefine "pod" as "your ship's escape pod which you only enter when things turn bad"). "you spend almost all of your life are floating around in a dark capsule full of jelly with lots of cables plugged into your spine that feed you information from camera drones and ship sensors" just doesn't sell well. "you are some bigshot ordering people around on your ship's bridge" does.
Right. It was a decision that was made to accomodate game mechanics, but once you begin to broaden the universe, it makes less and less sense.
I keep going back to real-world commanders and how brazen they were in combat. For example, Britain's Admiral Beatty -- in charge of the British battlecruisers at Dogger Bank and Jutland -- had to be reminded time and again to leave the exposed deck and go into the conning tower. Captains, commanders and admirals like being in the thick of things; they don't think about risk in combat because they are simply too absorbed in the mechanics of the job to worry about it.
In that sense, having our EVE pilots flying around obsessed with the possibility that they might at any instant die seems a little contrary to all we know about the human spirit. What's more, if the technology in the pod is awesome enough to not only recognize the moment that it is about to breach, but also initiate a complex scan of my brain, and then send that signal over many light years to a cloning facility, why can't my billion-ISK battleship do it, too? |

TheBlueMonkey
Don't Be a Menace That Red Alliance
373
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 12:43:00 -
[14] - Quote
All you would see is goo and darkness, it's like the matrix type deal.
So there is no cockpit. |

Provence Tristram
Federal Navy Academy Gallente Federation
4
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 12:45:00 -
[15] - Quote
TheBlueMonkey wrote:All you would see is goo and darkness, it's like the matrix type deal.
So there is no cockpit.
This is contradicted by most of the ship models, which clearly have a bridge (and some have multiple bridges). |

Barrogh Habalu
Imperial Shipment Amarr Empire
408
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 13:22:00 -
[16] - Quote
Provence Tristram wrote:This is contradicted by most of the ship models, which clearly have a bridge (and some have multiple bridges). Because those are standard ship designs used by normal people too.
That said, I agree on what was said ITT about pods and such. Imagine Clear Sky with authentic capsuleers instead of those faily normal character. Even if you acknowledge pods, story would still move from capsuleers to people you can actually present. |

Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
232
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 13:34:00 -
[17] - Quote
Provence Tristram wrote:TheBlueMonkey wrote:All you would see is goo and darkness, it's like the matrix type deal. So there is no cockpit. This is contradicted by most of the ship models, which clearly have a bridge (and some have multiple bridges).
In the old EvE site there were also ships sheet reporting the crew numbers (can't find them now). The lore justification to this is that yes, ships were designed to ave multiple crew members but later, with the diffusion of POD technology this became obsolete cause a single pod pilot could replace the whole crew.
However is also true that CCP progressively smoothed this idea and in some, novels chronicles and fiction works seems like the system is hybryd and co-exist: ships with only a capsuler pilot, ships with capsuler pilot and non-capsuler crew/passengers and ship with all non-capsuler crew.
|

goldiiee
Tax and War Haven
179
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 13:40:00 -
[18] - Quote
The trailer for incarna, when we first got out of our pods, and into a one room flat built like a bachlor pad. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNWWxD-q-bg
Reason and logic never wins over Stubborn and Convinced-á (But-áI still try..) |

Joneleth Rein
23
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 13:59:00 -
[19] - Quote
Aracimia Wolfe wrote:Provence Tristram wrote:I answer to the OP, no, although I admit it would be cool. The problem with the pods is that we are, of course, stuck in them the entire time we are flying around. I have to wonder if, had CCP a chance to make the game all over again, they wouldn't just find another way that didn't involve pods. That way, we could view our ships as conventional, space-lore based vessels, where we stride pridefully around our bridge while fighting these titanic space battles (only to miraculously make it to an escape pod shortly before the vessel explodes) rather than locking all the characters inside these little metal eggs.
To be honest, though, my subconscious tends to imagine my character walking around on the bridge anyway, even if I know it isn't the case. Holographical avatar projection systems built into the bridge. Great for face to face crew communications, ship status visualisations and scaring the crap out of people by walking through walls. Not to mention voyeurism on a scale unheard of by man.
Smart, simple answer. I applaud your reasoning sir! And i'm not being sarcastic.
Spider Pig!-áSpider Pig! Does what a Spider Pig does.. Can he swing? From a web.. No he can't. He's a pig. |

Gogela
Freeport Exploration Loosely Affiliated Pirates Alliance
2287
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 16:18:00 -
[20] - Quote
I think it would be cool to board a friend's ship and operate a turret or something, aluminum falcon style... they're doing it in that Star Citizen so I guess we'll see how that is. Maybe it'll light a fire under CCP's a**. 
|

Galaxy Pig
New Order Logistics CODE.
687
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 16:25:00 -
[21] - Quote
Blasphemy! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!
Seriously though, I don't like this idea, I'm a CAPSULEer.
OP has my forgiveness for being new. Try to read more canon lore and you will see how this would wrench the soul from one of this game's core sources of sci-fi awesomeness. ;)
Some of the lore has made exceptions so the authors could fall back on more classic star trek-style bridge drama. In my opinion, the more inventive authors have imagined ways to overcome the barriers the pod places on dialogue/plot/feeling awesome like Capt. Kirk sitting in your command-chair/whatever.
If people would just use their imagination, they'd see that the capsule opens more doors than it closes. |

Provence Tristram
Federal Navy Academy Gallente Federation
5
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 16:34:00 -
[22] - Quote
It would be interesting to know, of the percentage of players who give it any thought at all, how many imagine themselves sitting in a metal egg full of goo on these ships, and how many imagine themselves standing on a command deck barking orders like something out of Star Wars/Trek. I belong decidedly to the latter camp, but I've been indoctrinated by years of sci-fi to think that way. I guess we'll never know. |

Galaxy Pig
New Order Logistics CODE.
687
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 16:49:00 -
[23] - Quote
I am of the former, but I do imagine the disconcerted looks on my catalyst's crew's faces when my indifferent capsuleer yells "Yippie-Kai-Yay!" over the ship's intercom. |

Bagrat Skalski
Poseidaon
153
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 17:08:00 -
[24] - Quote
Quote:CCP has been pushing away from the pod concept for some time now (chronicles mentioning capsuleers walking around inside the ship during flight, pod-less consciousness transfer, emphasis that capsuleer ships have a sizable crew
It's boring being stuck in the pod all the time. What would they do in this novels? Touch themselves all the time? New CQ prototype |

Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
234
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 17:22:00 -
[25] - Quote
EvE lore takes more from modern cyberpunk litterature (like W.Gibson's Neuromancer) more than "humanistic" sci-fi like Star Treck.
All the stuff about the capsuler directly plugged directly to the ship is basically a quote from cyberpunk novels. The capsuler become like the brain of the ship and the ships informatic network become an extension of the pilot nervous sytem.
In EvE related fiction like the horrible novel "The Empyrean Age[/i] the capsuler interact with other crew member like HAL-9000 does in 2001 Space Odissey.
|

Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
234
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 17:24:00 -
[26] - Quote
Bagrat Skalski wrote: It's boring being stuck in the pod all the time. What would they do in this novels? Touch themselves all the time?
lol yes, but anyway even if they leave the capsule there isn't too much to do, they'd be trapped in a single room CQ :)
|

Din Chao
172
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 17:27:00 -
[27] - Quote
Bagrat Skalski wrote:Quote:CCP has been pushing away from the pod concept for some time now (chronicles mentioning capsuleers walking around inside the ship during flight, pod-less consciousness transfer, emphasis that capsuleer ships have a sizable crew It's boring being stuck in the pod all the time. What would they do in this novels? Touch themselves all the time?
...
no...
I wasn't...
I was... doing my taxes... |

Mara Pahrdi
The Order of Anoyia
278
|
Posted - 2013.02.05 18:48:00 -
[28] - Quote
Pak Narhoo wrote:Thebriwan wrote:You character is in a pod - he can not walk around... Lies! I have slaves carrying my pod around all over my ship! Oh well, nevermind. My monitor needed a cleaning anyway. Remove insurance. |

Sophie Sandraven
Romex Inc. Dustm3n
1
|
Posted - 2013.02.06 09:08:00 -
[29] - Quote
Gogela wrote:I think it would be cool to board a friend's ship and operate a turret or something, aluminum falcon style... they're doing it in that Star Citizen so I guess we'll see how that is. Maybe it'll light a fire under CCP's a**. 
Hell yes! That would be so awesome :D |

Sophie Sandraven
Romex Inc. Dustm3n
1
|
Posted - 2013.02.06 09:12:00 -
[30] - Quote
Provence Tristram wrote:It would be interesting to know, of the percentage of players who give it any thought at all, how many imagine themselves sitting in a metal egg full of goo on these ships, and how many imagine themselves standing on a command deck barking orders like something out of Star Wars/Trek. I belong decidedly to the latter camp, but I've been indoctrinated by years of sci-fi to think that way. I guess we'll never know.
Being a newbie I can honestly say when I first started playing, I didn't even think of the pod as you being stuck in it all the time at all. Being a huge sci-fi fan I think I just automatically thought that I would be roaming around the bridge anyway. Like one of you said, I need to read up on the lore a bit and then I might look at it differently :) |
| |
|
| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |