| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Brujo Loco
Brujeria Teologica
628
|
Posted - 2013.02.27 17:46:00 -
[1] - Quote
Link
TLDR:
Quote: Given the data, they concluded that social scientists could not possibly have picked a worse population from which to draw broad generalizations. Researchers had been doing the equivalent of studying penguins while believing that they were learning insights applicable to all birds.
As a latinamerican with vast cultural differences even within my own region, I found this interesting to read.
Currently about to read the final paper ... Food for thought
Cheers! Inner Sayings of BrujoLoco: http://eve-files.com/sig/brujoloco |

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
896
|
Posted - 2013.02.27 18:41:00 -
[2] - Quote
That's fascinating. Really. Just the first page caused some major thinking. Will have to read the rest of it later. Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.
Malcanis for CSM8 |

Khergit Deserters
729
|
Posted - 2013.02.27 18:51:00 -
[3] - Quote
Confirming that there's no way to make many generalizations about this crew. I grew up in Texas and have lived in the San Francisco Bay Area and currently around New York City. The three places could all be separate countries, culture-wise. Especially the northeast East Coast area. Texas and California aren't that much different, but people in the northeast East Coast area have a totally different way of thinking and interacting with each other.
That's the regional basic culture/approach aspect. Then there's the regional beliefs and lifestyles aspect. The big chunk of Protestant Christian dominated Red States in the middle, and the more liberal thinking Blue States on the coasts. The current gun control debate is a good example of the polarized sets of values/beliefs.
Then in addition to the regional differences, there are the cultural differences between the various ethnic communities. Then there's the cultural differences between rural and urban Americans.
But the one overlooked cultural difference, I think, is the one between the wealthy and the working. Historically Americans haven't like to acknowledge class distinctions much. It doesn't fit with the idea of equality and the American Dream of everybody being able to make it to the top. But I think (for example) a white working class guy in Louisiana has more in common with an African American working guy in Seattle than he does with the rich white guy down the road. Old money is its own exclusive culture that transcends all regions and even international boundaries.  If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again.
|

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe Minmatar Republic
8257
|
Posted - 2013.02.27 18:55:00 -
[4] - Quote
I'm from South Africa... now an American citizen by way of Britain and Canada
I'm pretty weird too  "Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff-á |

Kirjava
Deep Core Mining Inc. Caldari State
731
|
Posted - 2013.02.27 19:59:00 -
[5] - Quote
So... Culture shapes the mind and perception of morals and cognative thought.
If I'd of said that in Highschool I would have been sent to the Headmasters office to be told about Diversity.
Not kidding here.
Haruhiists - Overloading Out of Pod discussions since 2007. Cardinal Kirjava - Redeclaring the Crusade in the name of the Goddess since 2012. |

Kitty Bear
Disturbed Friends Of Diazepam Tribal Band
584
|
Posted - 2013.02.27 20:05:00 -
[6] - Quote
Interesting read.
Should have a good impact on teaching theory too. |

Eurydia Vespasian
Nova Insula Mining and Industrial The STAR Alliance
1292
|
Posted - 2013.02.27 20:39:00 -
[7] - Quote
i'm definitely a weird one. lol
i could provide photographic evidence but that's probably not a good idea. i have at least a moderately sane reputation to uphold  |

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe Minmatar Republic
8278
|
Posted - 2013.02.27 21:01:00 -
[8] - Quote
Kirjava wrote:So... Culture shapes the mind and perception of morals and cognative thought.
If I'd of said that in Highschool I would have been sent to the Headmasters office to be told about Diversity.
Not kidding here.
That's what happens when you attend a catholic school and try to think for yourself "Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff-á |

Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe Minmatar Republic
8294
|
Posted - 2013.02.27 21:13:00 -
[9] - Quote
This seems to be the right thread to plop this down... Kotaku on the best C-Span speech ever.
http://kotaku.com/5987355/the-derpface-in-the-middle-of-this-politicians-anti+video-game-speech-says-it-all?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow "Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff-á |

Marie Hartinez
Aries Munitions and Defense
261
|
Posted - 2013.02.28 04:41:00 -
[10] - Quote
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:
I play a lot of Payday: The Heist. I also have access to guns.
Does this mean that any minute now, I'll be off reenacting that game at a local bank?
As to the OP's topic,
I was raised with the idea that all humans have exactly the same thought processes, wants, needs, values, yadda yadda. Wasn't till I went to highschool with 2500ish other students from a school that had maybe 40 kids in K-12 that I began to seriously question that idea. After joining the Navy and seeing a lot of the US and a big part of the world, that idea was lost forever.
Surrender is still your slightly less painful option. |

Marie Hartinez
Aries Munitions and Defense
261
|
Posted - 2013.02.28 04:51:00 -
[11] - Quote
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:i'm definitely a weird one. lol i could provide photographic evidence but that's probably not a good idea. i have at least a moderately sane reputation to uphold 
I was accused of being a fairly level headed, sane, well adjusted, and intelligent individual that shows good judgement the other day at work. Told the boss, the one accusing me, not to let that get out and that I have a reputation to uphold. He gave me a look like I grew another head.
Since highschool, I'm the type of guy that could use his powers for either good or ebil. Surrender is still your slightly less painful option. |

Rain6637
Team Evil
565
|
Posted - 2013.02.28 06:55:00 -
[12] - Quote
I selected Anthropology over Psychology as a summer elective, and finished with a C--and my conscience is clear. I have the easier time with hard sciences...
good on them for hammering out a solid thesis from something as intangible as cultural anthropology, but... I don't know what the point of this sentence is. next quote:
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:i'm definitely a weird one. lol i could provide photographic evidence but that's probably not a good idea. i have at least a moderately sane reputation to uphold 
i smell a challenge http://themittani.com/ | http://evenews24.com/ || Vincent Athena-á||-áflycatcher waaaaat |

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
3564
|
Posted - 2013.02.28 10:20:00 -
[13] - Quote
Khergit Deserters wrote: Texas and California aren't that much different...
Now that's the first time I've ever heard THAT.
Southern California.....maybe....but NoCal is utterly different from Texas. Utterly.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.-á-á-á-á-á-á - Oscar Wilde - 1870's |

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
3564
|
Posted - 2013.02.28 10:21:00 -
[14] - Quote
Surfin's PlunderBunny wrote:I'm pretty weird too 
Really ? We had no idea. 
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.-á-á-á-á-á-á - Oscar Wilde - 1870's |

Graygor
1kB Realty 1kB Galactic
10524
|
Posted - 2013.02.28 11:29:00 -
[15] - Quote
Rain6637 wrote:I selected Anthropology over Psychology as a summer elective, and finished with a C--and my conscience is clear. I have the easier time with hard sciences... good on them for hammering out a solid thesis from something as intangible as cultural anthropology, but... I don't know what the point of this sentence is. next quote: Eurydia Vespasian wrote:i'm definitely a weird one. lol i could provide photographic evidence but that's probably not a good idea. i have at least a moderately sane reputation to uphold  i smell a challenge
As an anthropologist / archaeologist by training, I sympathise with the total randomness and current PCness of everything especially in cultural anthropology. Essentially to get a good grade your thinking much match the opinion of the department or at least those of the assessors.
The 19th century must have been more fun, when you could simply find these people, learn the language, introduce sexual diseases and showcase them at the zoo... i mean the Crystal Palace as an exhibit....then live off the proceeds which was basically a paid for sexual romp. Plus the 19th century books are more fun to read.
The dead are much easier to study...
Still, the main article is a fascinating read. "I think you should buy a new Mayan calendar. Mine has muscle cars on it." --áKenneth O'Hara
Post with your brainGäó |

Khergit Deserters
745
|
Posted - 2013.02.28 16:14:00 -
[16] - Quote
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:Khergit Deserters wrote: Texas and California aren't that much different... Now that's the first time I've ever heard THAT. Southern California.....maybe....but NoCal is utterly different from Texas. Utterly. Sure, they're really different in a lot of ways. Attitudes toward lifestyles, politics, religion, education, all that. I was talking more about how people interact with each other. CA and TX people both have pretty big boundaries. You stay out of my space, I stay out of yours. In the Northeast (NY, NJ, PA, etc.) though, it's completely different. Personal boundaries are a lot smaller. Things that might offend a Texan or Californian are just normal everyday stuff here. If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again.
|

Astenion
Black Dawn Rising
190
|
Posted - 2013.02.28 16:37:00 -
[17] - Quote
Americans are starkly different from one another to an extent observed maybe by another American living among them, but from an outsider's point of view, aside from obvious political leanings, Americans are actually quite similar to each other. Boundaries are formed when one has the space to afford such boundaries, not from any cultural or anthropological difference.
Americans tend to all think the same way. Although they may have starkly different opinions, their way of thinking is very similar to one another. Americans are products of their environment, and their environment is 90% commercialism and marketing. This is why they seem to never be happy if everything isn't exactly as they're used to, and this is why people have the opinion that Americans want everywhere they travel to be just like America, and they don't understand why they don't just stay at home if that's the case. Americans want everything bigger, more convenient, and cheaper. Also, Americans are notoriously nationalistic, even the most liberal of them. For some reason, we have a really, really difficult time admitting how screwed up we are. Sure, we'll do it for posturing's sake, but it's not genuine. Idealism in America was once a strength, but now it's quite dangerous.
The differences between the states are only skin-deep, trust me. |

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
911
|
Posted - 2013.02.28 16:43:00 -
[18] - Quote
Following up, having read the report and article in detail.
Damn, this is revolutionary stuff. Thank you muchly for bringing it to light. Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.
Malcanis for CSM8 |

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
3565
|
Posted - 2013.02.28 16:48:00 -
[19] - Quote
Khergit Deserters wrote: CA and TX people both have pretty big boundaries. You stay out of my space, I stay out of yours.
Again, not to be a huge naysayer all of a sudden, and though I agree with applying this to Texas, I found NoCal folks to be congenial and chatty and everything beyond belief.
I'm not sure about SoCal, but that was the way it was in the Bay Area for me. It was almost too friendly. Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.-á-á-á-á-á-á - Oscar Wilde - 1870's |

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
911
|
Posted - 2013.02.28 17:15:00 -
[20] - Quote
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:Khergit Deserters wrote: CA and TX people both have pretty big boundaries. You stay out of my space, I stay out of yours. Again, not to be a huge naysayer all of a sudden, and though I agree with applying this to Texas, I found NoCal folks to be congenial and chatty and everything beyond belief. I'm not sure about SoCal, but that was the way it was in the Bay Area for me. It was almost too friendly. NoCal and SoCal are two different states sharing the same capital.
Draw a line from Marin to Big Bear, then turn due East. Everything north of that line is pretty much North California. Everything south of that line is pretty much California del Sur.
You might carve out an enclave around the San Francisco bay and call it Never-Never Land. Well, north bay, anyway.  Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.
Malcanis for CSM8 |

Eurydia Vespasian
Nova Insula Mining and Industrial The STAR Alliance
1370
|
Posted - 2013.02.28 18:34:00 -
[21] - Quote
Rain6637 wrote:Eurydia Vespasian wrote:i'm definitely a weird one. lol i could provide photographic evidence but that's probably not a good idea. i have at least a moderately sane reputation to uphold  i smell a challenge
i am not goaded so easily lol
|

Rain6637
Team Evil
567
|
Posted - 2013.02.28 21:05:00 -
[22] - Quote
interesting you pick marin, i used to live there. dude, norcal is -country- http://themittani.com/ | http://evenews24.com/ || Vincent Athena-á||-áflycatcher waaaaat |

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
913
|
Posted - 2013.02.28 21:17:00 -
[23] - Quote
Rain6637 wrote:interesting you pick marin, i used to live there. dude, norcal is -country- Third generation native son. I may live in Delaware, but California is home. Well, a bit of time in Colorado, too - But California is still my homeland.
I like Marin - I really do. But it belongs to the North Bay enclave - SanFran, Marin, Vallejo, Berkley/Oakland, maybe Concord.
Fairfield/Suisun are substantially different from Vallejo, for instance. Or, at least it was so when last I was home.
Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.
Malcanis for CSM8 |

Rain6637
Team Evil
567
|
Posted - 2013.02.28 21:31:00 -
[24] - Quote
hmmm
I disagree with Marin being grouped with any of those places http://themittani.com/ | http://evenews24.com/ || Vincent Athena-á||-áflycatcher waaaaat |

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
916
|
Posted - 2013.02.28 21:34:00 -
[25] - Quote
Rain6637 wrote:hmmm
I disagree with Marin being grouped with any of those places Fair enough - Then it goes with NoCal. 
Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.
Malcanis for CSM8 |

Onyx Nyx
Euphoria Released Verge of Collapse
248
|
Posted - 2013.02.28 22:34:00 -
[26] - Quote
Oh, you goofy americans...
(european here therefore superior) I kill kittens, and puppies and bunnies. I maim toddlers and teens and then more. |

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
3569
|
Posted - 2013.02.28 23:53:00 -
[27] - Quote
silens vesica wrote: Vallejo, Berkley/Oakland, maybe Concord.
These are considered East Bay....and when coming to The City, they are called the Bridge and Tunnel Crowd.
They are the ones who got "Halloween in the Castro" cancelled forever by shooting guns at the event 2 years in a row. 9 people injured in 2009 if I recall. Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.-á-á-á-á-á-á - Oscar Wilde - 1870's |

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
922
|
Posted - 2013.03.01 01:40:00 -
[28] - Quote
Whatever. I'm a SoCal boy at heart (and by birth). Anyway you slice 'em, you get to keep 'em when California is broken into its natural divisions. 
Though I will say, poppin' caps in somone else's party is pretty frikkin' rude. Halloween in the Castro was never my party, but crappin' on someone else's fun because you can't control yourselves? Well - you see why *I* don't want 'em!  Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.
Malcanis for CSM8 |

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
3570
|
Posted - 2013.03.01 01:44:00 -
[29] - Quote
Yup.
Of course as a tourist town, The City has its share of pickpockets and all that, but almost all major crime comes from outside. Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.-á-á-á-á-á-á - Oscar Wilde - 1870's |

NightCrawler 85
Phoibe Enterprises Project Wildfire
285
|
Posted - 2013.03.01 02:05:00 -
[30] - Quote
A few days ago i came across this, not really related to the topic but still.. How does other countries look at Norway Having now spendt 3 years in US it was..interesting to watch even tho i still find it odd how other countries react on things that i take for granted. Phoibe Enterprises official recruitment thread |
| |
|
| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |