| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

SOHAIL
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 01:24:00 -
[1]
Edited by: SOHAIL on 27/07/2003 01:47:15
Hi, my Birthday is nearby and I m getting myself a new VGA card. Since EVE is my favourite game I want the one which works perfectly with this game and upcomming games without any problems. I want to buy either nVIDIA GEFORCE FX 5900 256mb ULTRA or ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 256mb, Whats the performance differnce between both cards?. Since 1994 Ive only bought nVIDIA cards and I like them, my mom's PC still have nVIDIA VANTA 4mb and still working fine. My Budget is fine for either of them up 499$. ATM i am using my laptop for gamming witht Geforce fx5600 GO 64mb, my EVE run's excellent at any resolution with 2x AA, but I am not getting v good FPS in my games like C&C GENERALs at high resolution + AA. Kindly suggest me which one I should get as i want to run my games at highest resolution possible , ty. Amy
"We'll show them what FIREPOWER is all about" |

Arathmon
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 01:31:00 -
[2]
I hear ATI cards have troubles with Eve. Also, nVidia just sounds cooler. --------------- I used to be in the FA. I like cookies. Eve Radio is teh pwn. |

WhiteDwarf
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 01:34:00 -
[3]
Edited by: WhiteDwarf on 27/07/2003 01:35:47 Definitely NVIDIA, better cards, better drivers, you name it.
P.S. Goto www.tomshardware.com
They put those two cards head to head in a benchmark, go see the results. The FX5900 seems to be the way to go.
Good Luck
"Trust No One" |

Avaton White
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 02:11:00 -
[4]
I've watched my friend have so many problems with his Radeon that I can safely say I'll never buy one He actually has several version of the drivers that he has to uninstall and reinstall for specific games My GeForce4 has none of these issues and runs like a dream. ------------------------------------------------ "The best defense is a dead opponent." - Avaton White
"The very notion of adding new features to broken code is self defeating to the point of being borderline insane." - Par'Nabuk ------------------------------------------------ |

Bushnell
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 02:39:00 -
[5]
Either card will do great ,both cards allow you to run EVE (and most other games) at 1280x1024 with 4xAA/4xAF or higher (if rest of pc is fast enough). but make sure u have a good PSU or you will get problems with either one of these cards in any 3D application. I personaly prefer the 9800pro because its IQ when AA turned on is a bit better then that of the FX. I'm not going into the whole "ATI drivers are no good" discusion because thats just an ignorent statment (no offence to ppl who still after 2 years think this is an issue). But like I said both cards are the best around.
|

Avaton White
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 03:28:00 -
[6]
I'm ignorant for learning from my friend's mistake? *boggle* ------------------------------------------------ "The best defense is a dead opponent." - Avaton White
"The very notion of adding new features to broken code is self defeating to the point of being borderline insane." - Par'Nabuk ------------------------------------------------ |

Bushnell
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 03:45:00 -
[7]
Your not serious ,are you ?
My friend has problems with his FX5900U ..nVidia sucks?? 
|

Legonas Tedams
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 04:07:00 -
[8]
Nvidia wins hands down. Better long term service record, better drivers, better product.
ôThe universe is an infinitely faceted diamond, and each of our souls is reflected in its magnificence. Chose your facet, your window to the world, wisely.ö - Legonas Tedams |

M0RPHEUS
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 04:31:00 -
[9]
i can't say ANYTHING good about Nvidia, while i can say lots of good stuff about ATI. First off, ATI has better performance. Secondly, ATI values customers A LOT more. They definately have better driver support on 9700 Pro, 9800 Pro then any Nvidia product. Customer support is great, and they realy do think that customer is always right. I had my video card replaced twice by the manufacturer!!!! And it was my fault in both cases, and i had a warranty with the store i bought it from! The first time i dropped the card right after i left the store. The store said "F U, its physical damage", so i called ATI support and they sent me a new one,which i got in 4 days. The other time i let my room go up to 90 degrees, PC hasnt restarted in 8 days. The card fried(it overheats madly, but it can withstand that temprature exceedingly well), manufacturer sent me another one. This time it took 8 days... I think its pretty amazing. Ask me nicely and I won't pod you... |

Bellona
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 04:52:00 -
[10]
I run a ATI Radeon 9700Pro with no problems. I think alot of the times people have horrible computers and blame their problems on the graphics card. I have used ATI for years and will continue to do so as they have never let me down in quality and service if I ever do have any problems.
Bellona Space Invaders
|

Fatal Attraction
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 05:03:00 -
[11]
I got a 9700 pro and never had any problems ...
|

DigitalCommunist
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 05:24:00 -
[12]
nVidia. _____________________________________ Perpetually driven, your end is our beginning. "Can I be a consultant for EVE II?" - WhiteDwarf |

Avaton White
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 06:32:00 -
[13]
OH OH!!! Lets do Mac vs. PC!! LOL  ------------------------------------------------ "The best defense is a dead opponent." - Avaton White
"The very notion of adding new features to broken code is self defeating to the point of being borderline insane." - Par'Nabuk ------------------------------------------------ |

Nephlite
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 06:35:00 -
[14]
nVidia had its time in the sun but now clearly ATI is the ruling card.
ATI all the way!
|

Gan Howorth
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 06:47:00 -
[15]
Have to admit, almost thought of going radeon (9500 pro is a lovely card for the money) but in reality the latest geforce 5900 ultra kicks the arse out of the 9800 pro so l'll be staying faithful to the good old GF (and l don't mean girlfriend, hehe)
Tally ho, Gan
|

Endureth
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 07:20:00 -
[16]
If you want the absolute best in video cards you need to look at what John Carmack (id Software fame) uses. The guy is an absolute genius and currently he is swearing by nVidia and is even designing his new game Doom III around features that will be in the newest incarnation of nVidia cards.
-E
|

Othnark
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 07:22:00 -
[17]
Im running a 5900 ultra, and have to say its incredible. I must warn you though, there is a current bug with the anti aliasing. If you play with it on, you get wierd graphics glitches. Its a known bug and i suppose Nvidia is working on it, but for now I play with AA off.
To give you an idea of how powerful the card is, I cannot notice a performance difference in Eve with AA on or off at 1280x1024.... (that was 4X AA didnt try 8X)
Good luck, have fun
-Othnark
|

Killgorde
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 07:26:00 -
[18]
The newly developed next generation chipset going on the 9800 Pro (eta 3 months approx if you can wait) makes all current gfx cards redundant. Game over for nVidia at the top end for the forseeable. ATI are fine if you tweak them right: http://atiguide.ionichost.com/index.htm Killgorde
CEO - Cutting Edge Incorporated
"I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel but it turned out to be some bastard with a torch in one hand and a ****load more work for me in the other" |

Drake Ramirez
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 08:08:00 -
[19]
I heard NVidia are in trouble not only because of the cheating they did with that graphics performance software (I forget the name) but it can't run Half-Life 2 with AA. I think NVidia have had their day, now it's ATI's turn.
Drake Ramirez When everything else is said and done, there will be nothing else to say or do... |

IZON
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 08:30:00 -
[20]
ATI
9500(NP) modded.
never had a single prob with this card, and the eye candy - ooh-la-la 
"...master! there's a guy in the south village called IZON, he is a Ninja!" |

WolfA4
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 09:11:00 -
[21]
"The newly developed next generation chipset going on the 9800 Pro (eta 3 months approx if you can wait) makes all current gfx cards redundant. Game over for nVidia at the top end for the forseeable. ATI are fine if you tweak them right: http://atiguide.ionichost.com/index.htm"
all vid card manufactures say that ever other quater year.
currently the gffx 5900 ultra is king of the hill in performance.
|

Miso
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 10:03:00 -
[22]
I love these arguments as they are so utterly pointless! Whether a card will work on your system or not is purely down to chance, and not the fault of the card makers. I used to use an Nvidia card on my computer, but then my computer suddenly decided to hate them when I bought a new one. No reason why, just didn't want to know. Go figure... so i bought a Radeon, and that works beautifully. As for performance - no one on these boards is going to be able to notice the difference between a Radeon and a top of the range NVida - anyone who says they do is talking out of their backside. Video cards today are all pretty much the same in terms of vidoe quality, so it basically comes down to what card will be compatible with your system, and thats pot luck. -------------------------------------------- Dead
|

Sabercat
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 10:20:00 -
[23]
Totally agree with ya Miso. Most of the time it is not the video card but how that particular card interfaces with the motherboard. I have used Nvidia cards with no problems and currently I have a ATI 9700 pro that works great.
|

redOctober
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 10:23:00 -
[24]
i use a radeon 9700 and have had no problems
|

Benco97
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 10:35:00 -
[25]
Edited by: Benco97 on 27/07/2003 10:36:13 I use the NVIDIA GeForce 4 mx440. I know this isn't the most up to date card but i have NEVER had any problems with it or any of it's predecessors. I recomend NVIDIA. I can easily run EVE,Unreal tournament 2, Unreal II and any games like that on max everything and my pc is only 1700MhZ. Trust me, NVIDIA all the way -------------------------------------------- NEW! 1/1 scale assembled plastic model benco97, Six different poses, Buy one NOW!*
*not suitable for people under 21, May include some small parts and/or traces of nut
|

IZON
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 18:42:00 -
[26]
Sabrecat
Picking up on what you said about mobo's I use an Asus a7n8x deluxe which is an o/c'ers dream. the combo (ati 9500np + mobo) has made for near flawless eve gaming. Good cpu helps to
"...master! there's a guy in the south village called IZON, he is a Ninja!" |

Jolo
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 18:59:00 -
[27]
This is almost a Ford vs. Chevy question.
ATI has better vaule (now it does) and the drivers are ok.
Nvidia usually has better drivers.
But i've heard more Geforce owners complain on the forums than ATI. But that's just me.
I've run a geforce and i now run a ATI 9700 Pro.
All I have to say is, the ATI can out perform the GeForce now, and do it without a Leaf Blower to cool it down. Plus I have had as many or less crashes with the ATI. SO it's really a moot point.
I've ran eve since beta and have problems now and again, but that's how it goes in computers. People say some of teh issues are really the AC 97 sound.
Just my 2 bits. ---------------------------------------
|

Malakite
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 19:44:00 -
[28]
"All I have to say is, the ATI can out perform the GeForce now, and do it without a Leaf Blower to cool it down."
ROFL single most funnest thing I read. Yeah Nvida is on its way out.
|

Xelios
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 20:09:00 -
[29]
The ATI came out slightly on top of the FX 5900 Ultra in benchmark tests, but they were almost neck and neck most of the way. Though the FX 5900 outperforms the 9800 pro at 1600x1200 res. The FX has better cooling than the 9800 pro too.
|

london
|
Posted - 2003.07.27 20:12:00 -
[30]
like people say, these games are... 'SPONSORED by nVidia... POWERED by ATI'
dont buy nVidias half assed FX cards.. they admitted the 5800 wasnt all that, and before people could even get their hands on it, they announced the 5900 and stopped production of the 5800 ... POOR BUSINESS!
plus ATI is king of image quality, and has a much faster FSAA/AF system. anyways, thats my rant.. peace. london:jericho |
| |
|
| Pages: [1] 2 :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |