| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Professor McFly
|
Posted - 2005.11.30 02:09:00 -
[1]
Edited by: Professor McFly on 30/11/2005 02:09:50 It looks really silly when a ship warps through a planet or station. Simplest way to fix this (admittedly minor) problem is to make it look like it's supposed to happen.
Let's say the warp bubble is like a mini wormhole, then it's plausible that your ship is not hindered by the huge ball of rock you just passed through. All that needs to be done is to make it look like this is happening, instead of the current sudden pop-up/disappearing of the offending body.
2 ways that I can think of right now:
- add some sort of translucency effect to the warping ship, similar to the cloaked effect. That way your "ghost" ship passes happily through tons of rock or steel while in its warp bubble - as you are about to pass through the object(s), the warp bubble around you takes on the object's colour, making it look like the bubble is interacting with the object briefly as you glide through it
Maybe just something nice to add when you're done making omgwtf new ships, and it's easier than calculating collision paths for warping ships 
Oh, and are your ships thrusters meant to be on while you warp or not? Because sometimes mine are on, sometimes they're not for no apparent reason. __________________ Retard's handbook |

Derek Degenerante
|
Posted - 2005.11.30 03:23:00 -
[2]
I wouldnt mind if you had two do two warps to go around a planet.The same way it is now if you dont have enuff cap to warp all the way.
|

Gothikia
|
Posted - 2005.11.30 09:13:00 -
[3]
rofl yeah, but i dont think CCP are too bothered about ships warping thru planets, when i done my ve3ry first warp ever, i thought i was a gonner!  -- Gothikia |

Kilor
|
Posted - 2005.11.30 10:45:00 -
[4]
They should probably just put a dark, rock-like texture by default on the inside curve of the planets (and a flaming one for suns). That way you'd experience a "WTF!" moment when space disappears and you quite literally seem to be inside a planet, albiet for a second or two.
-
|

Professor McFly
|
Posted - 2005.11.30 11:56:00 -
[5]
Originally by: Kilor They should probably just put a dark, rock-like texture by default on the inside curve of the planets (and a flaming one for suns). That way you'd experience a "WTF!" moment when space disappears and you quite literally seem to be inside a planet, albiet for a second or two.
That sounds like a good idea also. As long as it makes you feel you're briefly going inside the station/planet as you pass through, rather than it disappearing as you enter it like it does now. __________________ Retard's handbook |

theRaptor
|
Posted - 2005.11.30 13:26:00 -
[6]
I trialed some other space MMO (Dark something) that made you explode when you warped into a planet. Was actually quite funny, especially when I did it while escaping from a fight.
I, don't, think, you, trust, in my self-righteous suicide. |

LoCht'Rath
|
Posted - 2005.11.30 13:35:00 -
[7]
also the sound, it should sound more like when you put your head under water..a new dimension of sound. More dense.
|

Alicifer
|
Posted - 2005.11.30 14:43:00 -
[8]
also i think that ships normall engines should not fire during warp as this is not how it would warp , it has a different drive for this and maybe a different effect is needed
|

Hetzzer Coresh
|
Posted - 2005.12.02 01:55:00 -
[9]
Edited by: Hetzzer Coresh on 02/12/2005 01:54:43 (warping through a station, you blink once, and get a glimpse of some fat guy sitting on the toilet reading the eve news bulliten ) also with BM's when you warp to a station and end up inside on of its modules, its enoying to see nothing and you just bouncing out of it at nearly 10 km/s
|

Yiggi
|
Posted - 2005.12.03 05:38:00 -
[10]
While doing research for a paper on interstellar travel and light speed, I found something that made me think of this problem. When I first warped through a planet I had a "wtf" moment to, but apparently, it's theorized that matter traveling in excess of the speed of light, it will not interact with any stationary matter. So flying through planets shouldn't be a problem, only when you are going subluminal speeds I would assume.
|

Joshua Foiritain
|
Posted - 2005.12.03 12:08:00 -
[11]
Originally by: theRaptor I trialed some other space MMO (Dark something) that made you explode when you warped into a planet. Was actually quite funny, especially when I did it while escaping from a fight.
Dark Space, emergency warping out of the battlefield into a planet or star was annoying 
Watching people screwing up their insta jump alignment and warping right into the planet was funny though, or pushing them in with tractor beams  ------------------
[Coreli Corporation Mainframe] |

Chaos Hellbreth
|
Posted - 2005.12.03 15:39:00 -
[12]
Sounds like it got very nerve racking eventually. ANYWAY, the theory of warp travel is that you are no longer in the same dimension, but in a parallel dimension where the laws of physics dont apply, hence the need for a warp bubble, otherwise you wouldnt be able to enter and or exit the parallel dimension. So basically, you are in an alternate parallel dimension, but you can still see into our dimension, and when you pass through an object you are really just observing your ship going through a real world object that is non existant in warp-space. Therefore it is entirely possible.
HOWEVER, for all you Star Wars fans out there, large real world celestial objects(planets moons large asteroids black holes etc.) cast "mass shadows" into hyperspace, and if you hit a mass shadow YOU DIE!
|

Uril Septim
|
Posted - 2005.12.04 07:14:00 -
[13]
Another way to overcome this traveling through mass is to have the ship 'align' its particles (atoms) perfectly with said object, becasue if I was to align my atoms with the keyboard I'm typing on right now, in theory, I'd pass right through it...makes sense doesn't it? But when I really think about it, going through planets is not something I really notice after a while, and it certainly isn't something I'd have as a top priority at this point.
|
| |
|
| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |