| Pages: 1 2 3 :: [one page] |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 6 post(s) |

Orakkus
Wraithguard. Dirt Nap Squad.
219
|
Posted - 2013.10.22 21:45:00 -
[1] - Quote
I have some questions regarding the mini-game used in the Relic/Data sites under the new exploration mechanics released in Odyssey. I am rather curious to see if there is a on-going effort to provide more of these games, or if this was a "try once and forget" idea:
- Question 1: Who (which group) developed the mini-game we currently have for Relic and Data sites?
- Question 2: How many different types of games were concieved and partially developed before deciding on the current one?
- Question 3: Are there plans to developing the previously concieved games for use in some of Eve Online's current (or future) activities. For example, I see an opportunity for the mini-game when setting up the Siphon on a POS.
Thank you to whoever answers this. He's not just famous, he's "IN" famous. - Ned Nederlander
|

Solstice Project's Alt
Pator Tech School Minmatar Republic
222
|
Posted - 2013.10.22 21:51:00 -
[2] - Quote
I have nothing to say that's even remotely close to trolling this, but i have noticed that ned nederlander has sex with celebrities.
Edit: Unless this is just a quote, then it's obviously the person the quote is about. |

Orakkus
Wraithguard. Dirt Nap Squad.
219
|
Posted - 2013.10.22 21:57:00 -
[3] - Quote
Solstice Project's Alt wrote:I have nothing to say that's even remotely close to trolling this, but i have noticed that ned nederlander has sex with celebrities.
Edit: Unless this is just a quote, then it's obviously the person the quote is about.
I'll give you three guesses, Amigo. He's not just famous, he's "IN" famous. - Ned Nederlander
|

Graviton Tetraquark
The Scope Gallente Federation
1
|
Posted - 2013.10.22 22:31:00 -
[4] - Quote
i vote a similar minigame be implemented for mining. |

Vincent Athena
V.I.C.E.
2225
|
Posted - 2013.10.22 22:37:00 -
[5] - Quote
They have looked at mini-games for mining. One I saw a demo of had the mining laser kick out ore. You guided a collection beam to get the ore. Or, you just left it centered and got about half the yield. That way active miners would get more than inactive miners, but the play style of a player that just wanted to kick back and watch TV while mining (or the multi-boxers) would still be viable. http://vincentoneve.wordpress.com/ |

Xearal
Black Thorne Corporation Black Thorne Alliance
693
|
Posted - 2013.10.22 23:01:00 -
[6] - Quote
They also said they were planning to expand on the hacking game, possibly making the stuff you get during the game useable in other sites, I can see shielding bonus mods becoming very high in demand, making this an even more interesting setup.
|

Whim Aqayn
Ministry of War Amarr Empire
73
|
Posted - 2013.10.22 23:02:00 -
[7] - Quote
I hope they do away with nonsensical minigames asap. |

Orakkus
Wraithguard. Dirt Nap Squad.
219
|
Posted - 2013.10.22 23:22:00 -
[8] - Quote
Yeah, I can think of several things where adding a mini-game would definately give the game a bit of character to it.
Mining - It's a boring task, but having done some mining, I know it is nice to have a semi-afk task in Eve where you can feel somewhat productive. Still, I would think that a mini-game here that would give the player a boost to what is mined would be pretty cool.
Siphons - I think this is a place where Hacking skills and a mini-game should determine how efficient the Siphon is, or how detectable (either-or, not both) the Siphon is.
PI, Manufacturing, etc. I know there are some good ideas floating around in CCP, would be nice to see if they have actual plans above just wishing and hoping.
He's not just famous, he's "IN" famous. - Ned Nederlander
|

J3ssica Alba
Federal Navy Academy Gallente Federation
1038
|
Posted - 2013.10.22 23:30:00 -
[9] - Quote
I suggest a mini game for gankers, they have to chase a little miner through a maze, one wrong click and they get concorded before they gank the miner This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.-á Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless |

Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld White Mountain Coalition
472
|
Posted - 2013.10.22 23:53:00 -
[10] - Quote
The mini game is ****, I hope it dies in a fire. I certainly don't want it expanded to other parts of the game as it spoiled exploration for me.
The way ccp are going they wont be happy until they've simplified every aspect of the game and replaced character skills with player skills and dumbed down the game to the point we can play it on a console with a game pad with our 'spaceship piloting' skill. Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction... |

Johan Civire
The Lyran Empire
692
|
Posted - 2013.10.23 01:43:00 -
[11] - Quote
i dont think ccp will answer this because of 1 request. However i dont think its the end of those mini games. I think will see them comming more in some time. |

Shederov Blood
Wrecketeers
521
|
Posted - 2013.10.23 01:48:00 -
[12] - Quote
Make Falcon pilots play a mini-game on their target's sensors. |

Tuggboat
Oneida Inc.
42
|
Posted - 2013.10.23 02:15:00 -
[13] - Quote
Mining absorbs my total attention span, Dont need no more games big or little |

Orakkus
Wraithguard. Dirt Nap Squad.
219
|
Posted - 2013.10.23 03:44:00 -
[14] - Quote
Shederov Blood wrote:Would you say they have a plethora of mini-games?
Oh yes, they have a plethora..
He's not just famous, he's "IN" famous. - Ned Nederlander
|

Shederov Blood
Wrecketeers
521
|
Posted - 2013.10.23 04:08:00 -
[15] - Quote
Orakkus, what is a plethora? |

Solstice Project
I'm So Meta Even This Acronym
4140
|
Posted - 2013.10.23 07:11:00 -
[16] - Quote
Anyhow...
Seems you're not important enough to get a dev response, so the signature probably is a lie. |

Treborr MintingtonJr
The Knights of Spamalot The Methodical Alliance
17
|
Posted - 2013.10.23 09:05:00 -
[17] - Quote
Graviton Tetraquark wrote:i vote a similar minigame be implemented for mining. I vote pacman for mining minigame
Edit:(only cause I thought Asteroids was toooo obvious) |

Solstice Project
I'm So Meta Even This Acronym
4140
|
Posted - 2013.10.23 09:10:00 -
[18] - Quote
I got it!
They should add multiplayer pong to the CQ! |
|

CCP Bayesian
967

|
Posted - 2013.10.23 09:39:00 -
[19] - Quote
Orakkus wrote:I have some questions regarding the mini-game used in the Relic/Data sites under the new exploration mechanics released in Odyssey. I am rather curious to see if there is a on-going effort to provide more of these games, or if this was a "try once and forget" idea:
- Question 1: Who (which group) developed the mini-game we currently have for Relic and Data sites?
- Question 2: How many different types of games were concieved and partially developed before deciding on the current one?
- Question 3: Are there plans to developing the previously concieved games for use in some of Eve Online's current (or future) activities. For example, I see an opportunity for the mini-game when setting up the Siphon on a POS.
Thank you to whoever answers this.
1. The whole thing came onto Team Prototyping Rocks when we were just three developers with a very limited amount of time before the Odyssey release. We were basically tasked by CCP Seagull to create new content in the exploration sites. I concepted and developed the Hacking minigame. CCP Prime (who has since left to pastures new) took the scattering mechanic we had in some mining prototypes and bought it into EVE. Later we were joined by CCP Soundwave, CCP Affinity, CCP Arrow and CCP Optimal.
2. I worked collaboratively with a few other people on the concepting (CCP RedDawn, CCP Tallest, CCP SoniClover) the general ideas we had were similar and we created most of the prototypes as card games.
3. There is definitely desire to move the Hacking, sans the Scattering mechanic into new places and to deepen the gameplay involved in Hacking. I and other people have a whole bunch of stuff we want to implement further but it's a case of us not being the people who decide project priorities. As part of that in this release I've made it possible for content creators to make most in game entities hackable.
We also have a bunch of ideas on how to make mining more interactive for people that want it to be more interesting and I spoke about them at the last Fanfest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qmUIDlMmQE EVE Software Engineer Team Kuromaku |
|

Good Posting
Imperial Academy Amarr Empire
4
|
Posted - 2013.10.23 09:51:00 -
[20] - Quote
Solstice Project wrote:Anyhow...
Seems you're not important enough to get a dev response, so the signature probably is a lie.
Now that the guy got his dev response you look even more idiot than you usually do. Congrats because that is a mark hard to beat. |

Solstice Project
I'm So Meta Even This Acronym
4141
|
Posted - 2013.10.23 09:51:00 -
[21] - Quote
I take back what i said and applaude the OP for sucessfully baiting a dev to the thread! |

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
2235
|
Posted - 2013.10.23 11:37:00 -
[22] - Quote
CCP Bayesian wrote:Orakkus wrote:I have some questions regarding the mini-game used in the Relic/Data sites under the new exploration mechanics released in Odyssey. I am rather curious to see if there is a on-going effort to provide more of these games, or if this was a "try once and forget" idea:
- Question 1: Who (which group) developed the mini-game we currently have for Relic and Data sites?
- Question 2: How many different types of games were concieved and partially developed before deciding on the current one?
- Question 3: Are there plans to developing the previously concieved games for use in some of Eve Online's current (or future) activities. For example, I see an opportunity for the mini-game when setting up the Siphon on a POS.
Thank you to whoever answers this. 1. The whole thing came onto Team Prototyping Rocks when we were just three developers with a very limited amount of time before the Odyssey release. We were basically tasked by CCP Seagull to create new content in the exploration sites. I concepted and developed the Hacking minigame. CCP Prime (who has since left to pastures new) took the scattering mechanic we had in some mining prototypes and bought it into EVE. Later we were joined by CCP Soundwave, CCP Affinity, CCP Arrow and CCP Optimal. 2. I worked collaboratively with a few other people on the concepting (CCP RedDawn, CCP Tallest, CCP SoniClover) the general ideas we had were similar and we created most of the prototypes as card games. 3. There is definitely desire to move the Hacking, sans the Scattering mechanic into new places and to deepen the gameplay involved in Hacking. I and other people have a whole bunch of stuff we want to implement further but it's a case of us not being the people who decide project priorities. As part of that in this release I've made it possible for content creators to make most in game entities hackable. We also have a bunch of ideas on how to make mining more interactive for people that want it to be more interesting and I spoke about them at the last Fanfest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qmUIDlMmQE
The loot scattering mechanic maybe wasn't that bad as a concept, but its replayable value is zill and I don't think that nobody is going to miss seeing it elsewhere. The Greater Fool Bar is now open for business, 24/7. Come and have drinks and fun somewhere between RL and New Eden! |

Solstice Project
I'm So Meta Even This Acronym
4141
|
Posted - 2013.10.23 11:41:00 -
[23] - Quote
Good Posting wrote:Solstice Project wrote:Anyhow...
Seems you're not important enough to get a dev response, so the signature probably is a lie. Now that the guy got his dev response you look even more idiot than you usually do. Congrats because that is a mark hard to beat. When i saw the dev response, i posted ... see above. And you are, unlike me, a hypocrit. :) |

Solstice Project
I'm So Meta Even This Acronym
4141
|
Posted - 2013.10.23 11:43:00 -
[24] - Quote
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:The loot scattering mechanic maybe wasn't that bad as a concept, but its replayable value is zill and I don't think that nobody is going to miss seeing it elsewhere. Is it really that bad? I have yet to play it once... |

Orakkus
Wraithguard. Dirt Nap Squad.
219
|
Posted - 2013.10.23 14:18:00 -
[25] - Quote
Shederov Blood wrote:Orakkus, what is a plethora?
Why, El Shederov? He's not just famous, he's "IN" famous. - Ned Nederlander
|

Orakkus
Wraithguard. Dirt Nap Squad.
219
|
Posted - 2013.10.23 14:48:00 -
[26] - Quote
CCP Bayesian wrote:1. The whole thing came onto Team Prototyping Rocks when we were just three developers with a very limited amount of time before the Odyssey release. We were basically tasked by CCP Seagull to create new content in the exploration sites. I concepted and developed the Hacking minigame. CCP Prime (who has since left to pastures new) took the scattering mechanic we had in some mining prototypes and bought it into EVE. Later we were joined by CCP Soundwave, CCP Affinity, CCP Arrow and CCP Optimal. 2. I worked collaboratively with a few other people on the concepting (CCP RedDawn, CCP Tallest, CCP SoniClover) the general ideas we had were similar and we created most of the prototypes as card games. 3. There is definitely desire to move the Hacking, sans the Scattering mechanic into new places and to deepen the gameplay involved in Hacking. I and other people have a whole bunch of stuff we want to implement further but it's a case of us not being the people who decide project priorities. As part of that in this release I've made it possible for content creators to make most in game entities hackable. We also have a bunch of ideas on how to make mining more interactive for people that want it to be more interesting and I spoke about them at the last Fanfest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qmUIDlMmQE
Thanks CCP Bayesian for responding, I appreciate it. It is pretty interesting that you started the prototypes as card games. That kinda reminds me of how Diplomacy was handled in Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, which I found to be pretty cool. I don't suppose that there will be anything released for Rubicon, but how about any plans for the next expansion? He's not just famous, he's "IN" famous. - Ned Nederlander
|

Shederov Blood
Wrecketeers
526
|
Posted - 2013.10.23 14:51:00 -
[27] - Quote
Orakkus wrote:Shederov Blood wrote:Orakkus, what is a plethora? Why, El Shederov? Well, you told me they have a plethora. And I just would like to know if you know what a plethora is. I would not like to think that a person would tell someone they have a plethora, and find out that that person has no idea what it means to have a plethora. |

Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
445
|
Posted - 2013.10.23 15:05:00 -
[28] - Quote
Please for the love of all that's holy get rid of loot spew.
I beg of you. Not today spaghetti. |

Orakkus
Wraithguard. Dirt Nap Squad.
219
|
Posted - 2013.10.23 15:13:00 -
[29] - Quote
Shederov Blood wrote:Well, you told me they have a plethora. And I just would like to know if you know what a plethora is. I would not like to think that a person would tell someone they have a plethora, and find out that that person has no idea what it means to have a plethora.
Forgive me, Shederov Blood, I know that I, Orakkus, do not have your superior intellect and education. But could it be that once again, you are angry at something else, and are looking to take it out on me? He's not just famous, he's "IN" famous. - Ned Nederlander
|

BoBoZoBo
Paragon Fury Tactical Narcotics Team
340
|
Posted - 2013.10.23 15:21:00 -
[30] - Quote
Orakkus wrote:IQuestion 2: How many different types of games were concieved and partially developed before deciding on the current one? Thank you to whoever answers this.
Have you ever been a part of a creative or business development process? The whole point is to come up with different iterations to improve upon. there is nothing convenient about it. the whole damn game is nothing but a huge development effort with multiple iterations. Primary Test Subject GÇó SmackTalker Elite |

Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld White Mountain Coalition
473
|
Posted - 2013.10.23 21:42:00 -
[31] - Quote
CCP Bayesian wrote:Orakkus wrote:I have some questions regarding the mini-game used in the Relic/Data sites under the new exploration mechanics released in Odyssey. I am rather curious to see if there is a on-going effort to provide more of these games, or if this was a "try once and forget" idea:
- Question 1: Who (which group) developed the mini-game we currently have for Relic and Data sites?
- Question 2: How many different types of games were concieved and partially developed before deciding on the current one?
- Question 3: Are there plans to developing the previously concieved games for use in some of Eve Online's current (or future) activities. For example, I see an opportunity for the mini-game when setting up the Siphon on a POS.
Thank you to whoever answers this. 1. The whole thing came onto Team Prototyping Rocks when we were just three developers with a very limited amount of time before the Odyssey release. We were basically tasked by CCP Seagull to create new content in the exploration sites. I concepted and developed the Hacking minigame. CCP Prime (who has since left to pastures new) took the scattering mechanic we had in some mining prototypes and bought it into EVE. Later we were joined by CCP Soundwave, CCP Affinity, CCP Arrow and CCP Optimal. 2. I worked collaboratively with a few other people on the concepting (CCP RedDawn, CCP Tallest, CCP SoniClover) the general ideas we had were similar and we created most of the prototypes as card games. 3. There is definitely desire to move the Hacking, sans the Scattering mechanic into new places and to deepen the gameplay involved in Hacking. I and other people have a whole bunch of stuff we want to implement further but it's a case of us not being the people who decide project priorities. As part of that in this release I've made it possible for content creators to make most in game entities hackable. We also have a bunch of ideas on how to make mining more interactive for people that want it to be more interesting and I spoke about them at the last Fanfest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qmUIDlMmQE
CCP Bayesian thanks very much for replying in this thread, I hope you are still monitoring it. As you know in my previous post I was highly critical of the hacking mini game and I remain so, but I hope to respectfully explain why I feel so strongly about what is ultimately just a game mechanic.
For me the mini-game feels artificial, it feels like it's layered on top of eve and not actually a part of it, that may be because it's different in terms of styling to other UI elements, also I find it irritating because when I play eve I actually want to play eve, not a browser based game within eve. It's like logging in to the captains quarters to watch Net Flicks on the big screen. It's immersion breaking and as such it's like hitting a brick wall within the game when you are travelling at 100 miles an hour of immersion and here's why.
In eve we all have character skills whilst we the players direct our characters to perform actions for us in the eve universe, so we don't plot courses our characters do, we direct PI operations and deploy extractors, our characters do the drilling and manage the supply chain with the immense power of their post human cybernetically enhanced minds. I the player do not work out firing solutions for my character's guns, neither do I the player decide when my missiles detonate, my character does all of that for me in the world of eve.
With the mini game suddenly I the player am presented with something that my character could easily do and should be doing which is why the mini game is very un-eve... Capsuleers can manage spaceship command with the power of their minds, the mind gives orders and the capsule interface streams those orders into commands for the crew to follow whilst ship subroutines take care of the more mundane stuff allowing us capsuleers to concentrate on the big picture. With a mind as hierarchically organised as this, the eve thing to do would be to hack the cans with the power of thought, simply expressing a desire to hack a can whilst sitting back as our capsuler/ship interface streams those thoughts into hacking algorithms that combined with some slave AI would be more than enough to crack the hacking interface of most things encountered in the depths of space. This means that we should either be able to hack the can or not dependent on our level of skill vs some random chance. That's how other mechanics work in eve and it works well.
In summary it breeches the player/character divide and that's why I don't like it and would lose interest in a game that has more of this. What's the point of training character skills if I the player have to do all of the work.
That's not to say that in some situations it could be entertaining to have a mini game such as walking in stations and visiting a casino and trying to win some isk by playing games of chance and skill but the context of a character in a sci fi universe having some downtime well away from the capsule/ship interface would support immersion, not break it.
Anyhow I do appreciate the hard work that you guys put into a game like eve which is why I felt it was fair to give you this wall of text with some honest feedback. Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction... |

Orakkus
Wraithguard. Dirt Nap Squad.
222
|
Posted - 2013.10.23 22:35:00 -
[32] - Quote
Little Dragon Khamez wrote:
CCP Bayesian thanks very much for replying in this thread, I hope you are still monitoring it. As you know in my previous post I was highly critical of the hacking mini game and I remain so, but I hope to respectfully explain why I feel so strongly about what is ultimately just a game mechanic.
For me the mini-game feels artificial, it feels like it's layered on top of eve and not actually a part of it, that may be because it's different in terms of styling to other UI elements, also I find it irritating because when I play eve I actually want to play eve, not a browser based game within eve. It's like logging in to the captains quarters to watch Net Flicks on the big screen. It's immersion breaking and as such it's like hitting a brick wall within the game when you are travelling at 100 miles an hour of immersion and here's why.
In eve we all have character skills whilst we the players direct our characters to perform actions for us in the eve universe, so we don't plot courses our characters do, we direct PI operations and deploy extractors, our characters do the drilling and manage the supply chain with the immense power of their post human cybernetically enhanced minds. I the player do not work out firing solutions for my character's guns, neither do I the player decide when my missiles detonate, my character does all of that for me in the world of eve.
With the mini game suddenly I the player am presented with something that my character could easily do and should be doing which is why the mini game is very un-eve... Capsuleers can manage spaceship command with the power of their minds, the mind gives orders and the capsule interface streams those orders into commands for the crew to follow whilst ship subroutines take care of the more mundane stuff allowing us capsuleers to concentrate on the big picture. With a mind as hierarchically organised as this, the eve thing to do would be to hack the cans with the power of thought, simply expressing a desire to hack a can whilst sitting back as our capsuler/ship interface streams those thoughts into hacking algorithms that combined with some slave AI would be more than enough to crack the hacking interface of most things encountered in the depths of space. This means that we should either be able to hack the can or not dependent on our level of skill vs some random chance. That's how other mechanics work in eve and it works well.
In summary it breeches the player/character divide and that's why I don't like it and would lose interest in a game that has more of this. What's the point of training character skills if I the player have to do all of the work.
That's not to say that in some situations it could be entertaining to have a mini game such as walking in stations and visiting a casino and trying to win some isk by playing games of chance and skill but the context of a character in a sci fi universe having some downtime well away from the capsule/ship interface would support immersion, not break it.
Anyhow I do appreciate the hard work that you guys put into a game like eve which is why I felt it was fair to give you this wall of text with some honest feedback.
I disagree with Little Dragon Khamez about this issue of the mini-game and hope that you will agree to continue to develop them for Eve Online.
First off, I don't agree that they feel artificial. It cannot possibly be more artificial than just pressing "F1" and that is where the challenge ends. Mind you, if you choose to make mini-games more challenging great, so long as it keeps the player engaged. Khamez well displayed argument runs up against two fundamental flaws: The first being is that we play Eve to have fun. That "fun" is often based off of what challenges we can beat. Mini-games allow us to achieve greater results by defeating the incidental challenges brought before us. Second, the line between player and "character" is blurred to the point of non-existance in Eve. True, "your character" may plot the firing solution, but it is the player him or herself that determines who to shoot.
In like manner, a mini-game presents to us a way of enjoying the game. The "character's" skills do help us to improve our success rate, but as with all the decisions of the character, the player is the one who makes the choices. In fact, the very reason we play is to MAKE those choices of our own accord. Khamez's viewpoint of ease and convinence would ultimately lead to a game where you type in the character's name, press a button, and "BAM!" it would tell you if you win or lose.
That isn't fun. It isn't challenging. It's boring. And it doesn't keep people, the players, engaged. Why do people like mining? Because you can do it while not actually being there. While I can see the draw in that (I've done it as well), it is hard to see how you would really call that a great and engaging feature, something to draw and keep new players. Tasks like these are great places to develop mini-games. In the end, we play games to have fun, even Eve Online. Doesn't really matter how immersive a game is, if doing things inside the game are dull. He's not just famous, he's "IN" famous. - Ned Nederlander
|

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
6520
|
Posted - 2013.10.23 22:36:00 -
[33] - Quote
CCP Bayesian wrote: As part of that in this release I've made it possible for content creators to make most in game entities hackable.
If that means that soon we will be able to hack abandoned POSs to unanchor them...or do unscrupulous things to stations, I will be getting a sex change ASAP in order to have your babies. Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings? |

Spurty
V0LTA Triumvirate.
993
|
Posted - 2013.10.23 23:11:00 -
[34] - Quote
Hacking offline pos now plzkthnx
<3 GûÇGûêGûÇ GûêGûÇGûê GûÇGûêGûÇ-á-á-á-á-á GûêGûÇGûê GûêGûÇGûê GûêGûÇGûêGûÇGûê GûêGûæGûê GûæGûêGûæ GûêGûÇGûä GûæGûêGûæ-á-á-á-á-á GûêGûÇGûê GûêGûÇGûä GûêGûæGûêGûæGûê GûÇGûêGûÇ GûæGûÇGûæ GûÇGûæGûÇ GûÇGûÇGûÇGûæGûÇ GûÇGûæGûÇ GûÇGûæGûÇ GûÇGûæGûÇGûæGûÇ GûæGûÇGûæ |

Jennifer Maxwell
Crimson Serpent Syndicate
7
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 02:47:00 -
[35] - Quote
Little Dragon Khamez wrote:The mini game is ****, I hope it dies in a fire. I certainly don't want it expanded to other parts of the game as it spoiled exploration for me.
The way ccp are going they wont be happy until they've simplified every aspect of the game and replaced character skills with player skills and dumbed down the game to the point we can play it on a console with a game pad with our 'spaceship piloting' skill. "CCP is dumbing down Eve!"
Complains about a minigame that takes actual active player skill and strategy where it used to be just passive chance based and was completely fire-and-forget. |

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
2253
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 07:54:00 -
[36] - Quote
Solstice Project wrote:Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:The loot scattering mechanic maybe wasn't that bad as a concept, but its replayable value is zill and I don't think that nobody is going to miss seeing it elsewhere. Is it really that bad? I have yet to play it once...
For a better experience, dim your monitor and wear sunglasses, so you notice how it feels like to pick those tiny tick boxes and read the diminutive, dim signs on them in case that you're slightly visually impaired. It's funny as hell because also there is no sound backup about wether you clicked the damned tick box or don't. 
And, this reminds me that I shall look where to ask for so the highlighted stargate at the overview is highlighted by something else than a dim yellow hue; just yesterday I jumped through the wrong gate for the nth time in 5 years & had to slowboat back to the previous system and go to the right gate (determined by putting my face 15 centimetres away from the screen). The Greater Fool Bar is now open for business, 24/7. Come and have drinks and fun somewhere between RL and New Eden! |

Random Woman
Federal Navy Academy Gallente Federation
71
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 08:40:00 -
[37] - Quote
Jennifer Maxwell wrote:Little Dragon Khamez wrote:The mini game is ****, I hope it dies in a fire. I certainly don't want it expanded to other parts of the game as it spoiled exploration for me.
The way ccp are going they wont be happy until they've simplified every aspect of the game and replaced character skills with player skills and dumbed down the game to the point we can play it on a console with a game pad with our 'spaceship piloting' skill. "CCP is dumbing down Eve!" Complains about a minigame that takes actual active player skill and strategy where it used to be just passive chance based and was completely fire-and-forget.
The problem ist the game tends to be rather trail and error in the higher end sites (WHs). There is no strategy that gets your through 3 restauration nodes in a row. All you can do is retry until you dont run into that restauration node madness, or are lucky to get some powerups that help you to kill those without loosing to much HP.
Id rather have a fire and forget button that maybe keeps me immobile that to waste my time clicking like a madmen.
I think minigames and quicktime events are the confession of failure when it comes to game design. All they do is trying to distract you form real gameplay. |

Job Valador
Super Moose Defence Force
312
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 08:52:00 -
[38] - Quote
CCP Bayesian wrote:Orakkus wrote:I have some questions regarding the mini-game used in the Relic/Data sites under the new exploration mechanics released in Odyssey. I am rather curious to see if there is a on-going effort to provide more of these games, or if this was a "try once and forget" idea:
- Question 1: Who (which group) developed the mini-game we currently have for Relic and Data sites?
- Question 2: How many different types of games were concieved and partially developed before deciding on the current one?
- Question 3: Are there plans to developing the previously concieved games for use in some of Eve Online's current (or future) activities. For example, I see an opportunity for the mini-game when setting up the Siphon on a POS.
Thank you to whoever answers this. 1. The whole thing came onto Team Prototyping Rocks when we were just three developers with a very limited amount of time before the Odyssey release. We were basically tasked by CCP Seagull to create new content in the exploration sites. I concepted and developed the Hacking minigame. CCP Prime (who has since left to pastures new) took the scattering mechanic we had in some mining prototypes and bought it into EVE. Later we were joined by CCP Soundwave, CCP Affinity, CCP Arrow and CCP Optimal. 2. I worked collaboratively with a few other people on the concepting (CCP RedDawn, CCP Tallest, CCP SoniClover) the general ideas we had were similar and we created most of the prototypes as card games. 3. There is definitely desire to move the Hacking, sans the Scattering mechanic into new places and to deepen the gameplay involved in Hacking. I and other people have a whole bunch of stuff we want to implement further but it's a case of us not being the people who decide project priorities. As part of that in this release I've made it possible for content creators to make most in game entities hackable. We also have a bunch of ideas on how to make mining more interactive for people that want it to be more interesting and I spoke about them at the last Fanfest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qmUIDlMmQE
So your the ****'s that added that god awefull loot spew!
**** you guys!!!!
"The stone exhibited a profound lack of movement." |
|

CCP Bayesian
969

|
Posted - 2013.10.24 09:13:00 -
[39] - Quote
Little Dragon Khamez wrote:CCP Bayesian thanks very much for replying in this thread, I hope you are still monitoring it. As you know in my previous post I was highly critical of the hacking mini game and I remain so, but I hope to respectfully explain why I feel so strongly about what is ultimately just a game mechanic.
For me the mini-game feels artificial, it feels like it's layered on top of eve and not actually a part of it, that may be because it's different in terms of styling to other UI elements, also I find it irritating because when I play eve I actually want to play eve, not a browser based game within eve. It's like logging in to the captains quarters to watch Net Flicks on the big screen. It's immersion breaking and as such it's like hitting a brick wall within the game when you are travelling at 100 miles an hour of immersion and here's why.
In eve we all have character skills whilst we the players direct our characters to perform actions for us in the eve universe, so we don't plot courses our characters do, we direct PI operations and deploy extractors, our characters do the drilling and manage the supply chain with the immense power of their post human cybernetically enhanced minds. I the player do not work out firing solutions for my character's guns, neither do I the player decide when my missiles detonate, my character does all of that for me in the world of eve.
With the mini game suddenly I the player am presented with something that my character could easily do and should be doing which is why the mini game is very un-eve... Capsuleers can manage spaceship command with the power of their minds, the mind gives orders and the capsule interface streams those orders into commands for the crew to follow whilst ship subroutines take care of the more mundane stuff allowing us capsuleers to concentrate on the big picture. With a mind as hierarchically organised as this, the eve thing to do would be to hack the cans with the power of thought, simply expressing a desire to hack a can whilst sitting back as our capsuler/ship interface streams those thoughts into hacking algorithms that combined with some slave AI would be more than enough to crack the hacking interface of most things encountered in the depths of space. This means that we should either be able to hack the can or not dependent on our level of skill vs some random chance. That's how other mechanics work in eve and it works well.
In summary it breeches the player/character divide and that's why I don't like it and would lose interest in a game that has more of this. What's the point of training character skills if I the player have to do all of the work.
That's not to say that in some situations it could be entertaining to have a mini game such as walking in stations and visiting a casino and trying to win some isk by playing games of chance and skill but the context of a character in a sci fi universe having some downtime well away from the capsule/ship interface would support immersion, not break it.
Anyhow I do appreciate the hard work that you guys put into a game like eve which is why I felt it was fair to give you this wall of text with some honest feedback.
Thanks for the feedback and giving us such a detailed rationale.
To me your complaint is a very subjective one about where the line between "good" management and "bad" micro-management lies. You'd rather feel like you are directing than doing. Frankly I think this is an argument you can make about a lot of EVE systems (and extends into the metagame) and the line is different for individuals. Someone might only want to set a general plan and budget for their PI infrastructure rather than getting into the nitty-gritty. Tactical decision making should probably be passed out to an AI who can best position and utilise the ship or fleets weapons in the age of self-driving cars it's not a leap to see this as possible in a technologically magic universe. The problem with more abstraction is that it makes for less decision making, less ability for people to specialise and a less rich universe.
With the hacking specifically you could, as a narrative conceit, see the abstract presentation as you marshalling the limited resources of the slave AI in order that it best utilised, giving you the greatest chance of success.
EVE Software Engineer Team Kuromaku |
|

Solkara Starlock
Circle of Mystery
38
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 09:20:00 -
[40] - Quote
The hacking minigame is not gamebreakingly fun, but it is better than click and wait. If they want to create a new market for the hacking utilities, a lot of things need to be fixed because the whole exploration market crashed after Odyssey.
Just a few suggestions.
1) Make the data and relic sites hard to find again. Now you enter a system and see immediately if you need to scan the system down. That is too easy. Will the new Ghost sites be visible as well?
2) Increase the difficulty of the minigame, also in high sec. Feed the need for the utilities.
3) Make more things hackable! It's nice to hear you are acually working on that! Thanks.
If you are really going all the way with hacking, couldn't you guys replace the Archeology minigame with something else? Now it's 2 skills and 2 modules for essentially doing the same thing.
Are the new Ghost sites going to have the minigame as well?
And get rid of the loot scattering mechanic. Please! It sucks! Big time! Nobody is doing exploration in teams what was the original idea behind it! Reduce the loot per site and get rid of loot scattering (and carbon and other crap you dump into space)
|

Atlantis Fuanan
Uncharted Skies Cerberus Unleashed
46
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 09:22:00 -
[41] - Quote
Danger Game as Sessions-based minigame on station. Some activity beside Ship-Spinning :( Things that would make EVE better: NRDS - Remove Local - Balance Cloak - Sov-Mechanic Changes - Less QQ |
|

CCP Bayesian
969

|
Posted - 2013.10.24 09:27:00 -
[42] - Quote
Random Woman wrote:The problem ist the game tends to be rather trail and error in the higher end sites (WHs). There is no strategy that gets your through 3 restauration nodes in a row. All you can do is retry until you dont run into that restauration node madness, or are lucky to get some powerups that help you to kill those without loosing to much HP.
This sort of thing is definitely something that needs to be addressed. You're always going to end up in hopeless situations but I'd prefer that was due to poor decision making than the luck of the draw in terms of what Utilities are available in the network. We intended to ultimately have the Utilities as player built resource that would be fitted to the module so you have more agency in that regard.
Random Woman wrote:I think minigames and quicktime events are the confession of failure when it comes to game design. All they do is trying to distract you form real gameplay.
I think quicktime events are just plain bad gameplay often used to hide the fact that the 'game' is really just an interactive narrative. Although they have had some good moments, reloading in Gears of War for example and the whole rhythm action genre. Minigames on the other hand are just bits of gameplay that are only found in small sections of a game with different core mechanics so I'd disagree they are inherently bad. EVE is also full of them from PI through Industry pretty much any action that isn't flying a spaceship and shooting lasers could be argued to be a minigame (even if doing it feels more like a chore). I certainly think that hacking with a deeper gameplay and more connection to the economy and other game systems would be substantially better though. EVE Software Engineer Team Kuromaku |
|
|

CCP Bayesian
969

|
Posted - 2013.10.24 09:30:00 -
[43] - Quote
Solkara Starlock wrote:Are the new Ghost sites going to have the minigame as well?
Yes but no loot scattering.
Most of your other points are around game balance in EVE which isn't really my area to comment on. :)
EVE Software Engineer Team Kuromaku |
|

Solkara Starlock
Circle of Mystery
38
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 10:07:00 -
[44] - Quote
Thanks for your reply!
I really appreciate the effort to immerse hacking more into the gameplay of EVE. I truly believe it will make the EVE universe an even more dangerous and therefore better place to game in. It makes perfect sense that in a universe with so many electronics and computers that hacking can become a real nuisance and a powerful weapon. |

Cheng Musana
BetaMax Beta
7
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 10:36:00 -
[45] - Quote
More depth in hacking? As i understand it you want to add MORE clicking to it as it allready has. Dont get me wrong i allmost allways can successfully hack even the hardest sites in the game (covert ops+T2 modules ftw) but it still requires tons of clicking and on top the loot mechanic. It doesnt need more, it needs less. Any plans to increase the amounts of clicks to hack a container is a really bad idea. |
|

CCP Bayesian
971

|
Posted - 2013.10.24 10:38:00 -
[46] - Quote
More depth as in more thinking not necessarily more clicking. EVE Software Engineer Team Kuromaku |
|

Spankijs Omaristos
Royal Black Watch Highlanders Northern Associates.
50
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 11:02:00 -
[47] - Quote
Orakkus wrote:
Question 3: Are there plans to developing the previously concieved games for use in some of Eve Online's current (or future) activities. For example, I see an opportunity for the mini-game when setting up the Siphon on a POS.
[/list]
Yes, please, ruin Eve even more by also adding some mini games for:
Gate jumping Docking Cloaking Wreck looting Jettisoning cans
And of course, make exploding NPC and player ships spew all the loot in random directions.
Thank you o/ |
|

CCP Phantom
C C P C C P Alliance
3635

|
Posted - 2013.10.24 11:14:00 -
[48] - Quote
Spam, off topic and troll posts were removed. Please stay on topic, constructive and polite, thank you! CCP Phantom - Senior Community Representative - Volunteer Manager |
|

Spankijs Omaristos
Royal Black Watch Highlanders Northern Associates.
51
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 11:18:00 -
[49] - Quote
Orakkus wrote:
Question 3: Are there plans to developing the previously concieved games for use in some of Eve Online's current (or future) activities. For example, I see an opportunity for the mini-game when setting up the Siphon on a POS.
[/list]
Im here to play Eve, not some browser based games like Tetris in Eve client. CCP, please, come to your senses and remove your mini games.
Yes, It was fun and enjoyable for few weeks but thats it. Now its just annoying thing you have to do and waste your actual EVE game time on BS mini games...(I wont even start on Loot spew..)
Thank you o/ |

Lipbite
Express Hauler
1119
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 11:21:00 -
[50] - Quote
CCP Bayesian wrote:Solkara Starlock wrote:Are the new Ghost sites going to have the minigame as well? Yes but no loot scattering. No probe scanning mini-game, no loot scattering mini game - these new sites will be extremely popular. |

Edward Olmops
Sirius Fleet
106
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 12:56:00 -
[51] - Quote
For all who complain that exploration is bad because the market has chrashed:
Your argument is void. If Relic sites would be harder to complete or rarer, the stuff inside would be more expensive, but you would have to work harder for it. I even daresay the profit from exploration would not change at all, because there is just a number of ISK per hour for that people are willing to to this. If it has a higher payout, more people will do it and market prices will go down.
So, if you foolow this argument, the low price of certain materials is a measure of success for the hacking game. If people still do this for a few ISKies, it MUST be fun for all of them (else they would be doing something more interesting or profitable!).
As a side effect, since certain materials have become ridiculously cheap, you can either get rich very easily or use a great number of certain cool items that were way too expensive before. ;-) (if you did not get the hint, T2 Rigs can now be produced at a reasonable price. That's like 250 items that were used very rarely and have now suddenly become viable for very broad application. A great change for the game if you ask me) |

Batelle
RisingSuns
225
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 14:50:00 -
[52] - Quote
CCP Bayesian wrote:Solkara Starlock wrote:Are the new Ghost sites going to have the minigame as well? Yes but no loot scattering.
I understand that CCP might not be open to removing loot scattering from data/relic sites entirely. In recognition of that, I think there are several small improvements that could be made to improving the player experience.
In the current state of the game, the optimal choice of "which can to tractor first" is based ENTIRELY on the type of can. I'm not making a value judgement here, I'm just stating an obvious principle of the current game and understanding this principle should inform the design of UI and other parts of the game. So, if the ONE thing the player needs to know is the can type, then WHY OH WHY is the only way to tell which cans are data/parts is by mousing over EACH of the 15 or more identical floating boxes? And then once they do, why is it only displayed by teeny-tiny text?
Color-code the cans by type. Or by Shape. Or by something. This alone will take about 80% of the frustration and anger out of the loot-scatter system. Right now it feels like the game is intentionally obfuscating information that is both simple and vital. Honestly stuff like the name of a can is the kind of thing that we're used to seeing on the overview if we want, without requiring a mouse over.
Other small things would be increasing tractor beam range so ship agility is less of an issue, and making the loot spew always happen in the direction of the hacking ship, so the structure itself doesn't get in our way.
Oh yeah, and expecting loot spew to encourage people to bring friends to hacking sites is probably the dumbest non-starter of an idea to ever come out of CCP. Fighting is Magic |

Vol Arm'OOO
Imperial Academy Amarr Empire
121
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 15:08:00 -
[53] - Quote
CCP Bayesian wrote:Orakkus wrote:I have some questions regarding the mini-game used in the Relic/Data sites under the new exploration mechanics released in Odyssey. I am rather curious to see if there is a on-going effort to provide more of these games, or if this was a "try once and forget" idea:
- Question 1: Who (which group) developed the mini-game we currently have for Relic and Data sites?
- Question 2: How many different types of games were concieved and partially developed before deciding on the current one?
- Question 3: Are there plans to developing the previously concieved games for use in some of Eve Online's current (or future) activities. For example, I see an opportunity for the mini-game when setting up the Siphon on a POS.
Thank you to whoever answers this. 1. The whole thing came onto Team Prototyping Rocks when we were just three developers with a very limited amount of time before the Odyssey release. We were basically tasked by CCP Seagull to create new content in the exploration sites. I concepted and developed the Hacking minigame. CCP Prime (who has since left to pastures new) took the scattering mechanic we had in some mining prototypes and bought it into EVE. Later we were joined by CCP Soundwave, CCP Affinity, CCP Arrow and CCP Optimal. 2. I worked collaboratively with a few other people on the concepting (CCP RedDawn, CCP Tallest, CCP SoniClover) the general ideas we had were similar and we created most of the prototypes as card games. 3. There is definitely desire to move the Hacking, sans the Scattering mechanic into new places and to deepen the gameplay involved in Hacking. I and other people have a whole bunch of stuff we want to implement further but it's a case of us not being the people who decide project priorities. As part of that in this release I've made it possible for content creators to make most in game entities hackable. We also have a bunch of ideas on how to make mining more interactive for people that want it to be more interesting and I spoke about them at the last Fanfest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qmUIDlMmQE
G-d pls no.... The Minigame is downright unfun. Its simply a no-skill repetitive click fest. Worse, its anti-immersion; it removes your from the eve environment (watching the system for other players, etc. . .), and forces you to engage in a single player game that couldn't fetch 99 cents in any app store. The act of Exploration pre-minigame was not exactly riveting, but it at least kept you in the eve-world.
I don't play, I just fourm warrior. |

Vol Arm'OOO
Imperial Academy Amarr Empire
122
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 15:17:00 -
[54] - Quote
Jennifer Maxwell wrote:Little Dragon Khamez wrote:The mini game is ****, I hope it dies in a fire. I certainly don't want it expanded to other parts of the game as it spoiled exploration for me.
The way ccp are going they wont be happy until they've simplified every aspect of the game and replaced character skills with player skills and dumbed down the game to the point we can play it on a console with a game pad with our 'spaceship piloting' skill. "CCP is dumbing down Eve!" Complains about a minigame that takes actual active player skill and strategy where it used to be just passive chance based and was completely fire-and-forget.
What exactly are you smoking? There is no player skill in the mini-game - its simply a click fest with success premised upon the skill lvl of your character and luck. As for what hacking was like pre-minigame - well sure it was simply hit a button and sit back - it was as basic as it could get - but there was a meta game built around it (at least in low/null) - you needed a combat ship to deal with the rats; this gave a decent target for folk to shoot at; which also allowed other folk to use hacking sites for baiting. Now what do we got? Instead of player driven content with ships asspolding - we got a minigame. (I acknowledge that there are t1 frigs being blown up now - but really is that an acceptable replacement for the combat that used to happen at these sites? IMO shooting an unarmed t1 frig is hardly even worth the sec hit).
I don't play, I just fourm warrior. |

Lucas Irvam
The Anodyne Consortium
65
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 15:30:00 -
[55] - Quote
Edward Olmops wrote:For all who complain that exploration is bad because the market has chrashed:
Your argument is void. If Relic sites would be harder to complete or rarer, the stuff inside would be more expensive, but you would have to work harder for it. I even daresay the profit from exploration would not change at all, because there is just a number of ISK per hour for that people are willing to to this. If it has a higher payout, more people will do it and market prices will go down.
So, if you foolow this argument, the low price of certain materials is a measure of success for the hacking game. If people still do this for a few ISKies, it MUST be fun for all of them (else they would be doing something more interesting or profitable!).
As a side effect, since certain materials have become ridiculously cheap, you can either get rich very easily or use a great number of certain cool items that were way too expensive before. ;-) (if you did not get the hint, T2 Rigs can now be produced at a reasonable price. That's like 250 items that were used very rarely and have now suddenly become viable for very broad application. A great change for the game if you ask me)
You're right to say that if CCP addressed the crashing salvage/decryptor markets by reducing the drops, it wouldn't affect the ISK/hr, but those of us that explored prior to Odyssey weren't really asking for that kind of fix.
The problem isn't that T2 salvage needs to be 'rarer', it's that the barrier of entry into the profession sites was all but removed. Every change implemented in Odyssey was designed to do this: cosmic sigs 'pinging' on your scan when you jump to a new system, rats removed from all exploration sites, less skills necessary to lock sigs, and so on. This is a point that's been made over and over as far back as the original 80-page thread that was going when the scanning/hacking changes were being tested.
Imagine that CCP replaced the sleeper rats in WH combat sites with hackable cans that dropped nanoribbons. Even if the ribbons dropped at roughly the same rate that you would have gotten them by clearing the sleepers, the market would be obliterated, since any joker in a T1 frig would become a nanoribbon tycoon overnight. Sure, you could say that hey, the nanoribbon supply skyrocketed because it's such a popular feature/change, but how would you feel if you were a WH dweller prior to that change?
I also get that the upside is that the lower T2 salv/decryptor costs means more manufacturing/invention options, but Odyssey wasn't marketed as an industry expansion. |

Arduemont
12 pound opinion
2242
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 15:34:00 -
[56] - Quote
CCP Bayesian wrote:Responses
This guy is awesome. It's nice to hear development plans and perspectives even if they're not necessarily in line with what the big wigs at the top are likely to authorize. "In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." |

Orakkus
Wraithguard. Dirt Nap Squad.
225
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 15:47:00 -
[57] - Quote
Vol Arm'OOO wrote: What exactly are you smoking? There is no player skill in the mini-game - its simply a click fest with success premised upon the skill lvl of your character and luck. As for what hacking was like pre-minigame - well sure it was simply hit a button and sit back - it was as basic as it could get - but there was a meta game built around it (at least in low/null) - you needed a combat ship to deal with the rats; this gave a decent target for folk to shoot at; which also allowed other folk to use hacking sites for baiting. Now what do we got? Instead of player driven content with ships asspolding - we got a minigame. (I acknowledge that there are t1 frigs being blown up now - but really is that an acceptable replacement for the combat that used to happen at these sites? IMO shooting an unarmed t1 frig is hardly even worth the sec hit).
The fact that while I have perfect exploration skills, I still don't always successfully navigate the mini-game, as well as the loss to two Cov Ops, counters your claims. So instead of a combat ship to deal with the rats, I now need a very expensive cov-ops ship and spend considerable time and risk travelling through enemy territory, even risking multiple wormhole trips. Sometimes I can strike deals with other local explorers for certain sections of space, other times I'm stuck avoiding random gate camps, or discerning if a particular relic or data site is the one where a local might be staging a trap, or perhaps I go through a WH where the WH residents are actively trying to collapse the hole after I go through it.
So no, there still exists a very strong meta-game element to exploration, it is just different than what you are used to. He's not just famous, he's "IN" famous. - Ned Nederlander
|

Tzar Sinak
Mythic Heights
57
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 16:14:00 -
[58] - Quote
Orakkus wrote:
The fact that while I have perfect exploration skills, I still don't always successfully navigate the mini-game, as well as the loss to two Cov Ops, counters your claims. So instead of a combat ship to deal with the rats, I now need a very expensive cov-ops ship and spend considerable time and risk travelling through enemy territory, even risking multiple wormhole trips. Sometimes I can strike deals with other local explorers for certain sections of space, other times I'm stuck avoiding random gate camps, or discerning if a particular relic or data site is the one where a local might be staging a trap, or perhaps I go through a WH where the WH residents are actively trying to collapse the hole after I go through it.
So no, there still exists a very strong meta-game element to exploration, it is just different than what you are used to.
Interestingly that has always existed. The Odyssey patch did not suddenly make that happen. As for not successfully navigating the mini game, that happens to us all. As was pointed out already, the random placement of obstacles in the mini game often dictates success or failure and has little to do with character skills.
I have seen many T1 frigs in null and I have killed several. I have also killed several covops too with my covops. That has nothing to do with exploring except the poor player choice to run sites unarmed.
I think we can all agree the mini game needs improvement. I also think most can agree the loot spew needs to be removed. Unfortunately that is not CCP Bayesian's decision. The direction of the game and any iteration improvements reside elsewhere (looking at you CCP Seagull).
CCP Bayesian we pointed out to you during the pre Odyssey threads that CCP has a legendary habit of introducing mechanics and rarely improving them. Lets hope the Ghost sites are hard to scan down, difficult to loot and make character skills worthwhile again. |

Vol Arm'OOO
Imperial Academy Amarr Empire
122
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 16:22:00 -
[59] - Quote
Orakkus wrote:Vol Arm'OOO wrote: What exactly are you smoking? There is no player skill in the mini-game - its simply a click fest with success premised upon the skill lvl of your character and luck. As for what hacking was like pre-minigame - well sure it was simply hit a button and sit back - it was as basic as it could get - but there was a meta game built around it (at least in low/null) - you needed a combat ship to deal with the rats; this gave a decent target for folk to shoot at; which also allowed other folk to use hacking sites for baiting. Now what do we got? Instead of player driven content with ships asspolding - we got a minigame. (I acknowledge that there are t1 frigs being blown up now - but really is that an acceptable replacement for the combat that used to happen at these sites? IMO shooting an unarmed t1 frig is hardly even worth the sec hit).
The fact that while I have perfect exploration skills, I still don't always successfully navigate the mini-game, as well as the loss to two Cov Ops, counters your claims. So instead of a combat ship to deal with the rats, I now need a very expensive cov-ops ship and spend considerable time and risk travelling through enemy territory, even risking multiple wormhole trips. Sometimes I can strike deals with other local explorers for certain sections of space, other times I'm stuck avoiding random gate camps, or discerning if a particular relic or data site is the one where a local might be staging a trap, or perhaps I go through a WH where the WH residents are actively trying to collapse the hole after I go through it. So no, there still exists a very strong meta-game element to exploration, it is just different than what you are used to.
The fact that you fail at hacking even though you have "perfect" character skills is not as you say a "counter" to my position -- there is a random luck component to the minigame. Your character skills give you a better chance of winning but you can still fail because of bad luck. Of course, none of this has to do with "player" skill - the only skill that you has the player bring to the game is the ability to click your mouse button.
As for the potential to loss cov-ops ships - well if you feel the need to use a cov-ops ship with perfect exploration skills then you are probably doing exploration wrong - stick with the disposable t1 frigs - nothing more is needed - and if you lose one so what -- which is exactly why exploration choked off a decent source of quality pvp in low sec.
Oh and I call shananagens with regard to your claim that you use a cov-ops ship to do exploration in whs. Wh exploration sites still have rats - which means that you need combat ships.... I don't play, I just fourm warrior. |

Ruskarn Andedare
Lion Investments
280
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 16:39:00 -
[60] - Quote
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:Solstice Project wrote:Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:The loot scattering mechanic maybe wasn't that bad as a concept, but its replayable value is zill and I don't think that nobody is going to miss seeing it elsewhere. Is it really that bad? I have yet to play it once... For a better experience, dim your monitor and wear sunglasses, so you notice how it feels like to pick those tiny tick boxes and read the diminutive, dim signs on them in case that you're slightly visually impaired. It's funny as hell because also there is no sound backup about wether you clicked the damned tick box or don't. 
For maximum impact do it on an 11" laptop screen with a very slow wireless connection while wearing those gloves used to simulate arthritis . This will give you a much better idea how the loot spew is for some of us than any of your tests on large dev screens with wonderful net connections.
The hacking mini-game is an awesome beta concept. I'm hoping at some point it will be finished with an element of player skill required rather than the current random click and hope so that it will be suitable to put onto the live server.
|

Orakkus
Wraithguard. Dirt Nap Squad.
225
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 16:51:00 -
[61] - Quote
Vol Arm'OOO wrote: The fact that you fail at hacking even though you have "perfect" character skills is not as you say a "counter" to my position -- there is a random luck component to the minigame. Your character skills give you a better chance of winning but you can still fail because of bad luck. Of course, none of this has to do with "player" skill - the only skill that you has the player bring to the game is the ability to click your mouse button.
Oh disagree wholeheartedly. Here is why it IS a counter to your position. Perfect skills don't give me the understanding of how I and when should deal with an anti-virus or firewall, or how I if I should use a particular utility. It is much like a card game. I've played the minigame enough to know that there are certain probabilities I can rely on improve my coverage and speed, so finding the system core isn't as random as one might think. Still, there is a bit of randomness in there, which I think is necessary so that it doesn't become bot-farmable.
Quote: As for the potential to loss cov-ops ships - well if you feel the need to use a cov-ops ship with perfect exploration skills then you are probably doing exploration wrong - stick with the disposable t1 frigs - nothing more is needed - and if you lose one so what -- which is exactly why exploration choked off a decent source of quality pvp in low sec.
Need? I would say "need", yes. True, you can use a Tech 1 frigate for the task, but that is like saying you can use a handsaw to cut wood. Yes, you CAN use it, but there are much more efficient tools out there and eventually you rely on those better tools to do a better job at the task. So, yes.. I legitimately say "need" with the added fact that Cov Op cloaks becomes your only tank and a Tech 1 frigate isn't the best choice for hauling around the amount of loot one can get from a diligent exploration trip.
Quote: Oh and I call shananagens with regard to your claim that you use a cov-ops ship to do exploration in whs. Wh exploration sites still have rats - which means that you need combat ships....
I do exploration through WHs, not in them. I wasn't wrong in how I said it, but I could have made it clearer.
He's not just famous, he's "IN" famous. - Ned Nederlander
|

Orakkus
Wraithguard. Dirt Nap Squad.
225
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 16:58:00 -
[62] - Quote
Tzar Sinak wrote: Interestingly that has always existed. The Odyssey patch did not suddenly make that happen. As for not successfully navigating the mini game, that happens to us all. As was pointed out already, the random placement of obstacles in the mini game often dictates success or failure and has little to do with character skills.
They aren't so random as I explained to Vol. May not always be consistant, but I don't play games to not be challenged.
Tzar Sinak wrote: I have seen many T1 frigs in null and I have killed several. I have also killed several covops too with my covops. That has nothing to do with exploring except the poor player choice to run sites unarmed.
True, but the argument was that using a combat ship somehow gave exploration more player content needed to be addressed. I would even counter to say that there is MORE player content on that vein since PVP'ers are now presented with more targets and more opportunities to trap as well.
Tzar Sinak wrote: I think we can all agree the mini game needs improvement. I also think most can agree the loot spew needs to be removed. Unfortunately that is not CCP Bayesian's decision. The direction of the game and any iteration improvements reside elsewhere (looking at you CCP Seagull).
CCP Bayesian we pointed out to you during the pre Odyssey threads that CCP has a legendary habit of introducing mechanics and rarely improving them. Lets hope the Ghost sites are hard to scan down, difficult to loot and make character skills worthwhile again.
Personally, I enjoyed the loot spew mechanic.. as frustrating as it can be. Though I wouldn't argue with it being improved or if something better replaced it. He's not just famous, he's "IN" famous. - Ned Nederlander
|

Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld White Mountain Coalition
480
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 18:35:00 -
[63] - Quote
Jennifer Maxwell wrote:Little Dragon Khamez wrote:The mini game is ****, I hope it dies in a fire. I certainly don't want it expanded to other parts of the game as it spoiled exploration for me.
The way ccp are going they wont be happy until they've simplified every aspect of the game and replaced character skills with player skills and dumbed down the game to the point we can play it on a console with a game pad with our 'spaceship piloting' skill. "CCP is dumbing down Eve!" Complains about a minigame that takes actual active player skill and strategy where it used to be just passive chance based and was completely fire-and-forget.
It might require player skill, but it's your character that is supposed to have all of the skills remember, otherwise what's the point of training them up. Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction... |

Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld White Mountain Coalition
480
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 18:43:00 -
[64] - Quote
CCP Bayesian wrote:Little Dragon Khamez wrote:CCP Bayesian thanks very much for replying in this thread, I hope you are still monitoring it. As you know in my previous post I was highly critical of the hacking mini game and I remain so, but I hope to respectfully explain why I feel so strongly about what is ultimately just a game mechanic.
For me the mini-game feels artificial, it feels like it's layered on top of eve and not actually a part of it, that may be because it's different in terms of styling to other UI elements, also I find it irritating because when I play eve I actually want to play eve, not a browser based game within eve. It's like logging in to the captains quarters to watch Net Flicks on the big screen. It's immersion breaking and as such it's like hitting a brick wall within the game when you are travelling at 100 miles an hour of immersion and here's why.
In eve we all have character skills whilst we the players direct our characters to perform actions for us in the eve universe, so we don't plot courses our characters do, we direct PI operations and deploy extractors, our characters do the drilling and manage the supply chain with the immense power of their post human cybernetically enhanced minds. I the player do not work out firing solutions for my character's guns, neither do I the player decide when my missiles detonate, my character does all of that for me in the world of eve.
With the mini game suddenly I the player am presented with something that my character could easily do and should be doing which is why the mini game is very un-eve... Capsuleers can manage spaceship command with the power of their minds, the mind gives orders and the capsule interface streams those orders into commands for the crew to follow whilst ship subroutines take care of the more mundane stuff allowing us capsuleers to concentrate on the big picture. With a mind as hierarchically organised as this, the eve thing to do would be to hack the cans with the power of thought, simply expressing a desire to hack a can whilst sitting back as our capsuler/ship interface streams those thoughts into hacking algorithms that combined with some slave AI would be more than enough to crack the hacking interface of most things encountered in the depths of space. This means that we should either be able to hack the can or not dependent on our level of skill vs some random chance. That's how other mechanics work in eve and it works well.
In summary it breeches the player/character divide and that's why I don't like it and would lose interest in a game that has more of this. What's the point of training character skills if I the player have to do all of the work.
That's not to say that in some situations it could be entertaining to have a mini game such as walking in stations and visiting a casino and trying to win some isk by playing games of chance and skill but the context of a character in a sci fi universe having some downtime well away from the capsule/ship interface would support immersion, not break it.
Anyhow I do appreciate the hard work that you guys put into a game like eve which is why I felt it was fair to give you this wall of text with some honest feedback. Thanks for the feedback and giving us such a detailed rationale. To me your complaint is a very subjective one about where the line between "good" management and "bad" micro-management lies. You'd rather feel like you are directing than doing. Frankly I think this is an argument you can make about a lot of EVE systems (and extends into the metagame) and the line is different for individuals. Someone might only want to set a general plan and budget for their PI infrastructure rather than getting into the nitty-gritty. Tactical decision making should probably be passed out to an AI who can best position and utilise the ship or fleets weapons in the age of self-driving cars it's not a leap to see this as possible in a technologically magic universe. The problem with more abstraction is that it makes for less decision making, less ability for people to specialise and a less rich universe. With the hacking specifically you could, as a narrative conceit, see the abstract presentation as you marshalling the limited resources of the slave AI in order that it best utilised, giving you the greatest chance of success.
Thanks CCP Bayesian for replying, I do agree that it's subjective and I'm noty so bittervet that I can't welcome change, if as you've hinted there's more of this on the way I will do my best to get used to it and embrace it if it becomes another form of pvp for example, hacking another capsuleers stuff to take control of it, where my enemies skills make the task all of the more difficult or even in a direct mind to mind contest. I can see merit in that. I still stick to my earlier point that it breeches the character/player divide as that's important to me, not so much to others perhaps but it is to me...
Thanks again for replying, it does help to know that the hacking game wasn't implemented to exist in isolation and that future pans may increase integration of it into the game mechanics and the general eve universe. Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction... |

Vladimir Norkoff
Income Redistribution Service
273
|
Posted - 2013.10.24 23:32:00 -
[65] - Quote
CCP Bayesian wrote:CCP Prime... took the scattering mechanic we had in some mining prototypes and bought it into EVE... [and] has since left to pastures new... Color me shocked and surprised. Only question would be - why was the team lead who rubber stamped that idea not invited to join him?
CCP Bayesian wrote:There is definitely desire to move the Hacking, sans the Scattering mechanic into new places and to deepen the gameplay involved in Hacking. I and other people have a whole bunch of stuff we want to implement further but it's a case of us not being the people who decide project priorities. Sounds good. And maybe those Deciders need to be reminded leaving things half-assed is an endemic problem of EvE which has a negative effect on the brand. When players are bitching about things being left unfinished, it doesn't inspire prospective customers (ie. friends we are bitching to) to sign up.
CCP Bayesian wrote:We intended to ultimately have the Utilities as player built resource that would be fitted to the module so you have more agency in that regard. This a million times over. It would do so much to make the Hacking mini-game more interesting. Plus anything that promotes more -layer-driven industry tends to be good for the game. Well that and ditching the scattering mechanic.
|

epicurus ataraxia
Black Ice Klan
76
|
Posted - 2013.10.25 14:48:00 -
[66] - Quote
Ok lets start from the end and work backwards. 1 loot spew. This is unsaveable in any form, I am afraid it is misconceived at so meny levels. shoot it, drown it, put us out of our misery. 2 hacking game. not good not good at all. real issue is it is in the wrong place. in captains quarters as a diversion sure why not? in nullsec while being actively hunted by 2 sabres and half a dozen combat frigates,not so much. 3 difficuilty yeah well what can i say, for null right ship right mods right skills and then ...... 3 restoration nodes and screwed. 4 scanning down sites, yes, needed,keep it honestly? enough of a challange without the rest.
did i mention loot spew? kill it.... now if not sooner. Asteros and Stratios are beautiful. CCP Please Make these ships Truly function as Exploration ships, +10 Virus strength ...Thank you! |
| |
|
| Pages: 1 2 3 :: [one page] |