| Pages: 1 2 3 [4] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Durandal
|
Posted - 2003.09.09 11:09:00 -
[91]
Wow, that took ages to read, and I have to say that it got a bit confusing as many of you seem to have missed the original point but never mind.
I think I agree with Stavros (if I even understand the original point now ) when it comes to a 'plot' driven by players however I also see the need to not have the storyline changing due to individual corp activities etc when things have been planned 2 months in advance.
So heres my take on it all: First off I think it is naive to assume that the emperor stories etc have sweet FA to do with any of your gaming. (I must admitt the bit about the book was kind of pointless but did it really ruin your day? Is there any need to get so annoyed about it?) It seems to me that the emperor plot is a build up to something larger that should be allowed to progress. And if all the news items are completely pointless and don't ever have any impact on you what was the Jovian Capt bit all about or did I imagine seeing a Jove ship in combat and miner II BP's being dropped?
However there must be something in these news items regarding what is actually happening now to us as players that is updated on a regular (daily) basis. I would love to be able to read battle reports and the changing power bases in regions and find out where the action is or where to avoid. And I don't think as Stavros does that it is too late to have these ongoing events to run side by side with a central plot regarding racial tensions......
If any of you have read the Foundation books by Asimov you might see where I am coming from here - why not have empires that give us news as they are doing but also commentate on the periphery, the non-empire regions i.e. what we are doing. In the books there is a central empire (in the case of eve 4 racial power bases) with surrounding regions controlled by smaller 'kingdoms' (alliances) fighting for power that grow in size until they actually threaten the empire. Would it not be realistic to assume that the empires can be entirely concerned with their own afairs and thus have there own peace conferences etc and are arrogant enought to think that these outer systems are not of great importance to them just now. Doesn't most of our combat take place in the periphery?
This would also mean that corps such as Oracle and PIE who are of single races (I think) can continue their RP war within the context of the game and all the alliances etc who are not interested in RP can continue their wars still in the context of the game but now have it reported on and while not shape the main plot as such can be treated as the actual meaningful plot to them.
I'm sure that made more sense and sounded better in my head before I wrote that 
As a final point this thread is not about flaming pirates or m0o or alliances. BUT it is also not about flaming RP'ers who are entitled to play the game as they want to. I don't RP however I think it sucks that someone (can't remember who now) posted that stupid 'OMG all non RP'ers should be banned' reply post.
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right!"
|

Durandal
|
Posted - 2003.09.09 11:19:00 -
[92]
In fact having just visited the EVE Guardian website I think this is exactly the kind of news everyone should be getting. It almost makes eve feel dynamic 
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right!"
|

Eliminatorr
|
Posted - 2003.09.09 12:00:00 -
[93]
"Seriously, if you're not interested in "pointless" background plot, why play a roleplaying game?"
Roleplays? Pointless background plots? The entire point of a role play is that you are playing the role of one of the leading characters (Which is why we're all pilots ). It's pretty obvious the Emperor has been knocked off. But if only, if only we had seen the Emperor flying around in a battleship in Amarr space. If only people could affect the plot all the time, like a real RP is supposed to do. Great, the Amarr Emperors' death is a runup to some player activity. The thing is, the players should be involved all the way. If the Emperor is heading from Amarr Prime to a CONCORD meeting, he should be seen flying to it (Not that this happened, but humour me). If someone takes a potshot at him, they should have to deal with a big navy. If someone somehow pods him...great! CCP planning the storyline out in a rigid way, with exceedingly few plot crossings where the players can actually intervene, it's not right. "OK, we'll let the DM play D&D for 5 hours by himself, then when he's finished making the characters do what he wants while we sit around waiting being told we can't interact, we can fight one fight and then wait another 5 hours before we're allowed to do anything" Not. Good. And on the main topic...I find it very annoying how there's no official fringe reports. ATL CCP should try and get the major corps into a sidestory, if not incorporate them into the main empire based storyline itself. /lecture
Eliminatorr __________________________________________________________ All Your Isk Are Belong To Us. |

Monsang
|
Posted - 2003.09.09 14:23:00 -
[94]
I have the Emperor's corpse, want to see it?
|

Bad Harlequin
|
Posted - 2003.09.09 14:58:00 -
[95]
Quote: Us (Sinister Russian Cows).
m0ohoohahaski?
You are in a maze of twisty little asteroids, all alike. |

Athule Snanm
|
Posted - 2003.09.09 15:01:00 -
[96]
As things stand now, Stavr0s has a point - and I agree clear proof that he 'did a m0o' and went to ebay 
Scope came really close to fixing the situation, but was stopped. I would have loved to read about the massive RUS/Sinister attack on FA, or the smaller but tactically interesting battles between Oracle/PIE (and the smaller allied corps) - and even more so the dozens of incidents that happen every day that I've never even heard of. Still I have hopes for the replacement news service - but that's still an unknown quantity.
As far as NPCs referring to PCs as part of events, well this should happen IMO. For example if a war is building up then orders should be given for weapons - maybe the names of the people who sold the weapons could be 'leaked'. Or an 'aces' scoreboard could be produced for mercenaries hired in a war. Maybe the highest scoring people could be issued with medals. Or some random explorer finding a secret base could be attacked and named. None of these would alter the 'prime fiction' in any way but would still add a layer of player contact into the occurances.
_______________________________
Doomheim - EVE's only hygiene! |

Veruna Caseti
|
Posted - 2003.09.09 15:05:00 -
[97]
Quote: note the lack of the word role-playing
Hmm, lets see. You assume the role of something you are not, work in a persistent world to gain fame and fortune, slowly building a more powerful character while quests/events take place in a virtual world around you.
Oh you're right nothing like that even resembles a roleplaying game. How silly of me I should have noticed that one paragraph didn't have the word in it and realized how foolish I was being!
Quote: ok i think you may fail to understand me i dont have a problem w/ it i just dont care i doesnt effect eve for me and i dont effect it so i fail to understand why i should even bother with it
Okay. I see your point. It's all stupid and you don't care, but you also ***** when you're not involved in the associated events. Makes sense.
I guess the GMs should make sure everything is interesting to YOU before they do anything.
Ask yourself, "will edutest find this interesting." Otherwise why bother, right?
Haha.
Veruna Caseti Ishukone |

Stavros
|
Posted - 2003.09.09 17:06:00 -
[98]
Hey just for the record, I wasn't even THERE during the fountain attack or the stain battle.
I was in the pub then I went to fountain but got their too late :-(
/me = teh sux --
"Keep On Flaming Lamers, Like Your Ships Did When We Ended You" |

Daesdemona
|
Posted - 2003.09.09 17:26:00 -
[99]
Well Stav, to answer your initial post, I think those declaring our regions outside empire space are right, us players have a different storyline made by players for players, which you can read about on the guardian.
What the Devs wanted is coming to reality, players are taking more and more control over the game.
In a second thought... if FA, SA sinmoorus and VA get together we could gang some empire space.
----------------------------------------------- Bart: "Do you even have a job any more?" Homer: "I think its obvious that I Don't" ----------------------------------------------- |

Xen0
|
Posted - 2003.09.09 17:50:00 -
[100]
Quote: Edited by: Kalhan on 08/09/2003 22:43:19
Quote:
"In my opinion Starvos you should be banned from posting in these fotums. You are rude and concided. You are the one who went over to the Roleplaying forum and after there carfulling and oviously time taking post that was creative and intelligent, you dicide to make a rude and unprofessional post, that was definently out of the Roleplaying forum rules. You had no right to post what you did after there hard work, wiether or not you believed in it.I found your post very offensive and made sure to petition at the time."
--Kalhan
DING DING DING
We have a new whinner for Singular's Carebear of The Month award!!!
Yes, everyone who doesnt roleplay should be banned FOREVER!
DING DING DING
Winner for best Selective Reading even done.
Thank you for reading the whole post. For if you didn't you would thnk that everyone whole doesn't roleplay should be banned.
I am happy you picked out the point that starvos was just rude and had no right to post what he did in accordence with the rules of the RP forum in a most distastefull way. Cause as you pointed out it is not about it being roleplaying(or weither or not the intergolactic summit is for RP posters.) it is about the effort that the poster went to make such a creation and he decide to throw garbage in it.
ARRRRGGG, CAREBEAR ALL OVER THIS POST!!! What did stav ever do to you? Every post there's always 2 things that are in a Topic, the subject thats being written about, and the flaming about what the topic is. SOOOOO MUCH FLAMING!!! 
-=/Bah\=- |
| |
|
| Pages: 1 2 3 [4] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |