| Pages: 1 [2] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 7 post(s) |

Altessa Post
Midnight special super sexy
81
|
Posted - 2014.02.20 21:06:00 -
[31] - Quote
I did this. At least to improve my French writing. I am married to a French speaker, so I do speak French fairly well. However, I hardly ever had the opportunity to write. So, I joined a Franco-Canadian corp. Franco-Canadians are not hardcore French speakers and they tolerate when you have to fallback into English for a word or two. I definitely recommend doing this. However, do not expect too much. EVE vocabulary is limited and often people fall into "texto" (sms style).
On the internet, you can be whatever you want to be. It is amazing that so many people chose to be stupid. |

Cannibal Kane
My Little Ponies of the Apocalypse Cannibal Empire
3284
|
Posted - 2014.02.20 21:41:00 -
[32] - Quote
It's more fun to wardec a foreign corp.
At first they speak English to you and then when they get angry they start insulting you in their language. Forcing you to laugh at the google translation. "I saw him fight by the monument in Jita. He flowed in his Machariel like a Shinto spirit, 800MM shells sprouting in his passing. His hair flowed in the corona of his target's warp core breach. It was truly majestic. And while everyone stared in awe I stole the loot and ran off. Because I am like that." - NEONOVUS |
|

CCP Ytterbium
C C P C C P Alliance
3168

|
Posted - 2014.02.21 00:13:00 -
[33] - Quote
Sacrebleu!
Best way to learn a foreign language is to practice it. Joining a French corp will help, even if you're in for some tough leaning as they will most likely use slang, abbreviations, or even speak very fast on voice coms.
What I'd recommend as well:
- If you play any other games, turn them in French if you have the option to. Buy a French dictionary / conjugation book and use it as reference (use google translate if you're cheap
)
- Watch movies in French, with English subtitles.
- But seriously, go get some French classes. Best way to get started and get you the basics.
Where I can't help you at all is regarding ze silly accent gneugneugneujambonbeurrefromagebaguetteaupetitbeurreblanc. That'll take extensive time in close contact with my fellow countrymen to develop this unique character trait. You might also start wearing berets, eating baguettes and randomly saying Fire Ze Missiles while playing EVE. |
|

Sephira Galamore
Inner Beard Society
274
|
Posted - 2014.02.21 01:26:00 -
[34] - Quote
CCP Ytterbium wrote:Sacrebleu! I still know most of the grammar.. but my vocabulary is the worst. On my last trip I told the bus driver at the airport "Nous voudrions travailler en Marseille"... (and no, were weren't looking for work :S) |

Bane Nucleus
Sky Fighters
1016
|
Posted - 2014.02.21 02:47:00 -
[35] - Quote
We have a ton of Australian guys in corp, and it's been quite a task teaching them proper english... No trolling please |

SpoonRECKLESS
LOGI R Us
168
|
Posted - 2014.02.21 04:03:00 -
[36] - Quote
Daifuku Bidermaier wrote:So it happens that my gf is french, and after two years being with her and her friends, and going to France... i kinda feel like I really want to learn french. Of course my gf does understand gaming, I tell her the truth, this is like facebook but instead of being offensive with words we are offensive with turrets. Anyway she does not like when I play eve.
So... what if I joing a french corp so i can practice my french? is it a dumb idea? I woudnt like to make people feel inconfortable with my lack of communication skills, on the other hand it sounds interesting.
I know how to say chicken in spanish and *****. Ok I lied I only know how to say chicken in spanish :( and good night. Blue
|

NightCrawler 85
Phoibe Enterprises
1446
|
Posted - 2014.02.21 04:05:00 -
[37] - Quote
CCP Ytterbium wrote:
Watch movies in French, with English subtitles.
This is another thing i did actually. Found very simple movies (kid movies, the language tends to be simpler and easier when your learning the basics) and switched between having the subtitles in Norwegian with English voices, and voices in Norwegian with English subtitles.
At a point i was almost sure i had every single line of Lion King memorized both in Norwegian and English 
Phoibe Enterprises official recruitment thread The Eve Reader - -áAudio Recordings of Eve Chronicles
|

Vran DalEsra
Vran DalEsra Corporation
26
|
Posted - 2014.02.21 05:52:00 -
[38] - Quote
I would love to learn Islenska under fire!  |

AnnaSeliya Saisima
School of Applied Knowledge Caldari State
2
|
Posted - 2014.02.21 10:30:00 -
[39] - Quote
It's a good idea,I also use EVE to practise my English. you can join the french channel,it's much simpler than join a french corp. |

Eugene Kerner
TunDraGon Backseat Promises
1206
|
Posted - 2014.02.21 11:15:00 -
[40] - Quote
We are a pretty international corp. I can say "I-¦d do your girlfriend" in 8 languages now...
"Also, your boobs " -á CCP Eterne, 2012
|

Chinwe Rhei
Tribal Liberation Force Minmatar Republic
74
|
Posted - 2014.02.21 12:17:00 -
[41] - Quote
You know, i did that once, i joined a french server in another MMO to brush up on my french and language immerse myself from home. To be honest i mostly learned french text-speak with 'k's all over the place instead of 'qu'. and abreviations like "mdr" and swearing and stuff. It was different.
|

Yonis Kador
KADORCORP
481
|
Posted - 2014.02.21 14:16:00 -
[42] - Quote
One of my corpmates, after 4-5 years of flying with the dude, tells me he's now graduating high school (what? I met you when you were 12? comeon?) and thanked me for his much-improved English. I knew he didn't speak much in those early years, but there's quiet ppl like that in every corp. Anyway, he told me I practically taught him English. Now I sometimes read and edit his essays. With this much multiculturalism in one spot, it's not an impossibility to learn a foreign language here.
YK EVE RADIO: Music for the Masses!-á-á chat-áchannel: eve radio |

Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
714
|
Posted - 2014.02.21 14:20:00 -
[43] - Quote
I'd like to see the look on you gf's face when you are sitting at the computer acting like you are learning another language when you are actually just being a space nerd. Not today spaghetti. |

Altrue
Exploration Frontier inc Brave Collective
1015
|
Posted - 2014.02.21 16:26:00 -
[44] - Quote
CCP Ytterbium wrote:
- Watch movies in French, with English subtitles.
Ultimately, watch movies with French subtitles aswell. I do that for English (I'm French! \o/) and it is more efficient.
Signature Tanking - Best Tanking. |

Othran
Route One
679
|
Posted - 2014.02.21 16:41:00 -
[45] - Quote
I learnt some new Russian words in a corp once but frankly unless you got a reasonable grounding in whatever language you want to learn then its not going to end well - assuming its your primary corp and not an alt corp.
There's a difference between RL and games - in RL you can say "don't speak any more English to me" and you'll just about get by because of gestures and visual clues. Try that on comms and see how far it gets you in a fight  |
| |
|
| Pages: 1 [2] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |