| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Jaxel Valosh
|
Posted - 2006.06.16 17:55:00 -
[1]
Okay,
I'm trying to get a good grasp of the backstory for EVE, as I'd like to start RPing in EVE. The vast amount of stuff written about EVE is staggering, but slowly I'm getting through most of it.
One things that's troubled me though:
Where do the people of EVE live? More precisely, as it will pertain to my character's RP background, where do the Caldari live?
I've looked at countless planets and moons in the galaxy map, or while just cruising through a system. I have yet to find a planet with even /near/ Earth-like conditions. Either the gravity is 20Gs or 0.02, or the temperature is supremely high/low. I'm not sure if the temperature is supposed to be in Kelvin or Celsius. I'm just assuming it's not Farenheit. That'd be silly. 
I read in the one Chronicle that stations (and I'm assuming ships) have artificial gravity. But what about planets? Do they have a way to filter out those extra 19Gs of gravity? Do the people tend to live in "domes" like on Mars in the movie Total Recall, to survive the harsh environments?
I'm just trying to figure out how people live in the EVE universe, so I can better craft a backstory for my character.
Any help would be appreciated. Jaxel
|

Regat Kozovv
|
Posted - 2006.06.16 18:47:00 -
[2]
There are a few hospitable planets. New Caldari is populated; you can make out many of the city lights from it's surface. Many other worlds have these as well.
Supposidally the Minmatar homeworlds are paradises themselves, but I've never been to them.
|

Kyoko Sakoda
|
Posted - 2006.06.16 19:00:00 -
[3]
I wouldn't trust Show Info on planets and moons etc. In fact, I'd ignore it all together. The attributes are screwed up across the board, not just in core systems. CCP hasn't fixed it because it's not really an important issue that immediately needs to be addressed.
It is made quite clear that the majority of core planets in EVE are terraformed, but how many planets overall are that way and how many planets have dome cities or underground habitats is not so clear. It can be safely assumed that any planet you see in game that has a city texture had been once terraformed and currently has a huge population residing there. That shouldn't keep you from making a planet or a moon without these textures, say, your character's birthplace though. (Oh, and as a suggestion, don't make your character's place of birth New Caldari, we've got too many characters coming from there ).
Given the vastness of EVE and the sheer number of humans living in the universe (something close to a trillion), I'd say that a good 1/5th of the population live in space, and maybe 50% of that in stations, though I'm just making a randomized guess.
Learn what it means to be Caldari - www.omertasyndicate.com |

Heriom
|
Posted - 2006.06.16 21:48:00 -
[4]
i guess most of habitable planets remain in empire (hih sec) a few ones that aren't self sufficient may be at low sec empire. And prolly nearly all planets in low sec space aren't rdy for a normal habitat in them.
i suggest you read ruthless so u can get an idea about how is the life in some low sec empire planets, also if you saw something about firefly you can get an idea about the difference beetwen well populated and newly ones =)
|

Viktor Fyretracker
|
Posted - 2006.06.16 22:50:00 -
[5]
Miranda.........
|

Kyoko Sakoda
|
Posted - 2006.06.16 22:52:00 -
[6]
Originally by: Viktor Fyretracker Miranda.........

Learn what it means to be Caldari - www.omertasyndicate.com |

Jon Engel
|
Posted - 2006.06.17 23:39:00 -
[7]
Edited by: Jon Engel on 17/06/2006 23:39:23 The only system in 0.0 where I have seen green and blue (evidence of oxygenated climate) is Poitot in sydicate.
Although if people live on Poitot than the Federation would come and invade as per the ban on terraforming and planetary settlement.
So I think there are some planetary populaces in 0.0, notable mentions are Serpentis Prime, and Sansha's HQ.
More importantly, if someone who is realy deep into 0.0 prime fiction tell me if theres any hints if Poitot is populated or not.
|

Mebrithiel Ju'wien
|
Posted - 2006.06.18 15:04:00 -
[8]
http://oldforums.eveonline.com/?a=topic&threadID=323229
Leurtmar IX is inhabitated. It has small cities on it but is mostly like some tropical Jurassic Park everywhere else.
|

Jon Xylur
|
Posted - 2006.06.19 09:28:00 -
[9]
Don't think Poitot in Syndicate is inhabited because it says in PF that the Syndicate has no planetary colonies. If it was inhabited, I don't think the Federation would do anything as it's not in Federation space and the Syndictaes is a different faction. Please resize image to a maximum of 400 x 120, and not exceeding 24000 bytes, ty - Cortes |

Mebrithiel Ju'wien
|
Posted - 2006.06.19 15:01:00 -
[10]
Originally by: Jon Xylur Don't think Poitot in Syndicate is inhabited because it says in PF that the Syndicate has no planetary colonies. If it was inhabited, I don't think the Federation would do anything as it's not in Federation space and the Syndictaes is a different faction.
Spot on. The Intaki Syndicate isn't allowed to occupy any planets, but I'm sure native colonies still exist.
I could be wrong.
|

Arron S
|
Posted - 2006.06.22 01:40:00 -
[11]
Originally by: Kyoko Sakoda I wouldn't trust Show Info on planets and moons etc. In fact, I'd ignore it all together. The attributes are screwed up across the board, not just in core systems. CCP hasn't fixed it because it's not really an important issue that immediately needs to be addressed.
It is made quite clear that the majority of core planets in EVE are terraformed, but how many planets overall are that way and how many planets have dome cities or underground habitats is not so clear. It can be safely assumed that any planet you see in game that has a city texture had been once terraformed and currently has a huge population residing there. That shouldn't keep you from making a planet or a moon without these textures, say, your character's birthplace though. (Oh, and as a suggestion, don't make your character's place of birth New Caldari, we've got too many characters coming from there ).
Given the vastness of EVE and the sheer number of humans living in the universe (something close to a trillion), I'd say that a good 1/5th of the population live in space, and maybe 50% of that in stations, though I'm just making a randomized guess.
Yeah the statistics on the planets and moons are all ****** up, just like on stargates. Also all the planets that are inhabited apear to be barran world with no plant life or lakes or oceans. There are no forests outside the urban areas on planets too. odd.
|

Viktor Fyretracker
|
Posted - 2006.06.22 14:44:00 -
[12]
also brings up what defends a planet from orbital strikes. id imagine that a planet could in theory have a shield that no ship flying could ever hope to break(considering a planet could have unlimited power grid and capicator)
|

Jon Engel
|
Posted - 2006.06.23 11:14:00 -
[13]
Ok, the Syndicate is disallowed planetary colony by the Federation. If the Syndicate decided to colonize or terraform a planet than the Federation would indeed be forced to enforce there laws.
Perhaps Poitot is just a bunch of jungles and animals or something.
Anyways, The syndicate is formed by the collective of Station settlements pre Gallente/Caldari war. They had no planetary populaces at the time in syndicate it was all stations and such.
I could be wrong, If so, point to a piece of PF that show exact wording to show me. Syndicate PF is scarce as it is.
|

Cerveza Please
|
Posted - 2006.06.27 03:47:00 -
[14]
I thought the planets where simply textures. Shame on me 
|

Daestra
|
Posted - 2006.07.04 03:58:00 -
[15]
Is there a list anywhere of what planets are inhabited? I've been told that the majority of humans in Eve live in stations. Is this true? I've been wont to mention planets in my RP as knowing me I'd choose one that was well known to have sub-zero equater temperatures and a 2% oxygen atmosphere.
-------
|

Wanoah
|
Posted - 2006.07.04 21:16:00 -
[16]
There's a fundamental disconnect between the planets details in the database, the graphics engine, and the fictional 'reality.' There are a lot more inhabited planets than is suggested by what you see on the screen when playing Eve.
Maybe one day, someone will have the delightful job of updating all the planet details, and changing the graphics to match. Anyone remember the planet descriptions in Elite? They missed an opportunity in Eve, I reckon.
Maybe one day, a list of inhabited planets will get published too...
|

Lankiveil
|
Posted - 2006.07.08 04:34:00 -
[17]
Originally by: Jon Engel Edited by: Jon Engel on 17/06/2006 23:39:23 The only system in 0.0 where I have seen green and blue (evidence of oxygenated climate) is Poitot in sydicate.
Did you know that Poitot is the only named system in Syndicate? True story.
|
| |
|
| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |