| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Tachyahn
|
Posted - 2006.10.16 18:17:00 -
[1]
Question for debate:
Gallente Crusiers: Which to buy?
I am looking to buy my first crusier. I am a Gallente and have to choose from the Thorax, Vexor and Exqueror. I know that hands down the Thorax is the best for combat situations, from all that I've read and observed.
My issue is that I do more than just combat. This ship for me is an upgrade to allow me to proceede in Agent Missions and possibly some PvP. My trade by skills is Mining. I own a covetor and a bulk of my skills are tailored as such. But mining does get boring. I do enjoy combat.
I have spent the last month training skills to branch away from mining. I've got my crusier skill up, trained up navigation, hull upgrades, tactical shield manipulation, etc. Many of the required skills and helpful skills for combat etc.
SO, the main question is, which of these three is more versitale? I want one with a fair amount of cargo room, a bit of drone space and that can take a beating and make it out. Being that I have no experience with any of these ships, can you other capsulers give me some feedback? Any personal experiences? The Vexor and Exqueror cost about the same in my region with the Thorax being doulbe thier cost.  
I'd like to be able to run agent missions and maybe a bit of PvP. Occasionally slapping some miner IIs on there might be fun too...
|

Illistar DeathWing
|
Posted - 2006.10.16 18:50:00 -
[2]
Well there is no 'better' ship per say. They are just diferent.
Vexor - The main drone cruiser. It has a good drone capacity, gets bonus to drone damage hp and mining, has a good cargo space and overall is pretty stirdy. For the cost it is the best galante cruiser.
Exqueror - This ship is a bit wierd. It has a huge cargo space for a cruiser and gets bonuses for more cargo space. It's like a mini hauler. It has less drone space and guns then the thorax so it's not well suited for combat. This is a more of a all-round ship. It can mine, haul and fight decently, but doesent exel in any of those 3.
Thorax - Considered by some as one of the most powerfull cruisers of any race (well looking at dps). It can fit 5 medium drones and 5 blasters. It has enough med slots to have good EW and a great amount of low slots to fit a tank. It also gets bonuses to damage and MWD making it one of the best cruisers (alongside the stabber) for using the said mod.
If you are looking for missions or pvp either use the vexor if you love drones, or the thorax if you like to shoot things.
|

Alekseyev Karrde
The Royal Guard
|
Posted - 2006.10.16 19:26:00 -
[3]
It really comes down to your preference of drones or turrets.
The Vexor can mission, rat, pvp and mine fairly well.
The Thorax can mission, rat, pvp, and mine fairly well.
However the vexors drones get a damage boost where as the rax's guns get a tracking boost i beleive (if it's not that, it's falloff)
I prefer the Vexor myself.
|

Tarazed Aquilae
|
Posted - 2006.10.16 19:41:00 -
[4]
ItĘs the MWD that makes the Thorax so great and MWDs donĘt work in deadspace. ItĘs my personal cruiser of choice for either 0.0 or empire traveling, IĘm just not sure itĘs the choice for missions.
Then againą You could probably fit 200mm rails to it, add an afterburner to keep the range open, and do pretty good in missions. (Drones kill anything that gets too close.)
|

Able Citizen
True Core
|
Posted - 2006.10.16 20:57:00 -
[5]
Don't forget about teh sexeh Celestis...
|

Shemsu Mordus
|
Posted - 2006.10.16 21:22:00 -
[6]
Originally by: Tarazed Aquilae ItĘs the MWD that makes the Thorax so great and MWDs donĘt work in deadspace. ItĘs my personal cruiser of choice for either 0.0 or empire traveling, IĘm just not sure itĘs the choice for missions.
Then againą You could probably fit 200mm rails to it, add an afterburner to keep the range open, and do pretty good in missions. (Drones kill anything that gets too close.)
Personally, I just love the vexor. But I am a drone guy.
I use a vexor with MWD fitted for missions. Faster to get to and from the deadspaces. I just trained up to t2 drones and stuck some Drone Augmentation Links in the highs (instead of the standard NOS - but hey, this is my mission runner, not my PvP setup). That way I warp into deadspace, never move and just kill everything then warp out. Granted I am not looting everything, but it is only L1 missions, so who cares. :) Through a TP and sensor booster on and you can easily target and kill from 60K range...
My setup, YMMV.
--Mordus
|

Illistar DeathWing
|
Posted - 2006.10.17 02:17:00 -
[7]
Originally by: Alekseyev Karrde It really comes down to your preference of drones or turrets.
The Vexor can mission, rat, pvp and mine fairly well.
The Thorax can mission, rat, pvp, and mine fairly well.
However the vexors drones get a damage boost where as the rax's guns get a tracking boost i beleive (if it's not that, it's falloff)
I prefer the Vexor myself.
Thorax gets a damage boost not tracking or falloff
|

Aurore Kitsune
Gallente Federal Navy Academy
|
Posted - 2006.10.18 19:24:00 -
[8]
personally i find the thorax to be a pretty decent jack-of-all-trades kinda ship, but it largely depends on your skill set and budget. Most importantly (to me) its also one of the best looking ships in the game (figure if youre gonna stare at the same image for hours on end it damn well better be pretty )
I didn't become Evil incarnate by choice...oh wait, yes I did... |

Gloria Stitz
|
Posted - 2006.10.18 20:01:00 -
[9]
Vexor is the winner by far if you consider damage per skill point.
Look at how many SP are needed to use t2 medium hybrids.
Look at how many SP are needed for 5 t2 drones. Why bother with medium hybrid skill at all?
It is the equivalent of the Caldari's easy ladder to t2 heavy missiles.
Still love the thorax though

|

Simon Jax
Gallente Freelancing Corp
|
Posted - 2006.10.18 20:23:00 -
[10]
If your drone skills are higher than your gunnery skills, then the Vexor is likely the better choice.
If your gunnery skills are higher than your drone skills, then the Thorax is likely the better choice.
However, I've found that the effectiveness of either one is highy dependent on the support skills. Mechanic for a good tank, Engineering for good cap, Electronics and Gunnery for good fitting (Elec. less so).
--Wherever you go, there you are. |

Noluck Ned
FATAL REVELATIONS Lotka Volterra
|
Posted - 2006.10.19 09:33:00 -
[11]
I remember being so proud of my first Exequror. I mined enough with it to afford a Rax, sold the Exequror and I never looked back.
F4T4L is Recruiting! |

Simon Jax
Gallente Freelancing Corp
|
Posted - 2006.10.19 14:59:00 -
[12]
he he, I had an Exequor for all of a half hour. I bought it, fit it out, and went to run Human Cattle 3 of 5. That day I learned of the importance of support skills, and my utter lack of them to properly fly a Cruiser in tough situations.
Pulled together the money to buy my first Vexor, and started in on the support skills. The Vexor served me very well for a long, long time. I still have one in my hangar, fitted for mining duty. I found I preferred the Arbitrator as a mission-running drone-boat and I've moved on to BC's and AF's for level 3 missions.
But I have a feeling I'll always have a Vexor around.
--Wherever you go, there you are. |

Lab Technician071548
|
Posted - 2006.10.19 20:28:00 -
[13]
You mentioned tactical shield manip...
Keep in mind that the Thorax only has 3 mid slots and therefore is not necessarily a great shield tanker. In general, Gallente ships are more effective as armor tankers. That's not to say that shield skills are useless, particularly the one that prevents damage bleed through to armor where your tanking rightfully begins, but make sure you have the right mechanic skills, too.
Check the modules and fittings forums for advice. That ship is very well documented.
|

Tachyahn
|
Posted - 2006.10.20 16:26:00 -
[14]
Thanks for all of the advice! I have decided to get a Vexor and find it to be an excellent ship. I am thinking though that I will steer toward Assault Ships and have my eyes on the Enyo. Hooray for Mechanic, Engineering and Frigate 5. >.< That's going to take a bit of time.
|
| |
|
| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |