| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Thor Eljer
British Omega Limited
0
|
Posted - 2015.03.20 19:02:26 -
[1] - Quote
Hi All
Got a PC building related question. Got a rough idea of what I want but IGÇÖm not sure what to go with in the way of GPUs. I want to run three clients at once, preferably at 1080p but I donGÇÖt think one GPU is going to cut it so need some advice on what should do the trick. At the moment I am thinking of two AMD R9 290s in crossfire.
So basically I want to know what I should be looking at for graphics. At the minute it's my biggest headache getting something together. Been using PC Part Picker a lot it's a really helpful tool. Just doesn't quite answer my question! If whatever you guys can come with will do 1440p too then awesome. If not no bother.
Ta very much
Thor
|

Arronicus
Fusion Enterprises Ltd Shadow of xXDEATHXx
1471
|
Posted - 2015.03.20 19:40:38 -
[2] - Quote
How many screens are you trying to render them on? What size screens? Do you want all three clients fullscreened at the same time? What's the minimum framerate you'd be happy with?
All these are relevant to whether or not you even need a second video card. |

Thor Eljer
British Omega Limited
0
|
Posted - 2015.03.20 19:45:29 -
[3] - Quote
Arronicus wrote:How many screens are you trying to render them on? What size screens? Do you want all three clients fullscreened at the same time? What's the minimum framerate you'd be happy with?
All these are relevant to whether or not you even need a second video card.
Apologies. Trust me to miss important information. Shall add it to my original post shortly.
In answer to your question three 1080p displays all full screen. Minimum FPS of at least 30, preferably 40 or greater |

ashley Eoner
461
|
Posted - 2015.03.20 19:49:23 -
[4] - Quote
Thor Eljer wrote:Hi All
Got a PC building related question. Got a rough idea of what I want but IGÇÖm not sure what to go with in the way of GPUs. I want to run three clients at once, preferably at 1080p but I donGÇÖt think one GPU is going to cut it so need some advice on what should do the trick. At the moment I am thinking of two AMD R9 290s in crossfire.
So basically I want to know what I should be looking at for graphics. At the minute it's my biggest headache getting something together. Been using PC Part Picker a lot it's a really helpful tool. Just doesn't quite answer my question! If whatever you guys can come with will do 1440p too then awesome. If not no bother.
Edit: Realised I didn't quite provide all the info you'll need. Hoping to run three clients on three 1080p displays all full-screen. Hoping to achieve at least 30fps.
Ta very much
Thor Frankly in massive fights your hard drive can be a huge bottleneck. My hd5770 rendered 3 clients maxed out at 1080 on three screens at about 30 FPS. |

Jerome Holberg
Hoplite Brigade
2
|
Posted - 2015.03.20 19:49:24 -
[5] - Quote
I don't know how well EVE handles crossfire/SLI.
Either way I can run 2 clients at 60 fps with a single 660. A 290 performs about 50% better than my card. I would start with a single video card - pick a motherboard that allows expansion into crossfire when needed.
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php is a good resource for comparison - sort by rank, the passmark score gives an indication of the raw power a card gives however actual results may vary per game. The AMD R9 290 currently ranks 14 of all video cards.
When picking cards myself I usually get the one with the best 'Value' e.g. price per performance in the top 30 cards.
Good luck. |

ashley Eoner
461
|
Posted - 2015.03.20 19:52:48 -
[6] - Quote
Jerome Holberg wrote:I don't know how well EVE handles crossfire/SLI. Either way I can run 2 clients at 60 fps with a single 660. A 290 performs about 50% better than my card. I would start with a single video card - pick a motherboard that allows expansion into crossfire when needed.http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php is a good resource for comparison - sort by rank, the passmark score gives an indication of the raw power a card gives however actual results may vary per game. The AMD R9 290 currently ranks 14 of all video cards. When picking cards myself I usually get the one with the best 'Value' e.g. price per performance in the top 30 cards. Good luck. Going crossfire introduces all kinds of issues. Last I knew some games won't run crossfire/sli properly in windowed mode which might still include Eve. |

KC Kamikaze
Blue-Fire Great Blue Balls of Fire
87
|
Posted - 2015.03.20 19:59:52 -
[7] - Quote
Can't speak to the lower end cards but the EVGA GTX980 super clocked will run at least 8 accounts at highest quality settings across 3 2560x1440 monitors perfectly for me at 60fps each. As you go higher performance will fall off quickly due to a lack of video card memory. I can run 13 accounts on my PC most of them at max settings some of them set to the setting that conserves memory.
If all you want to run is 3 accounts across 3 1080 screens one of the cards in the $300 price range should exceed your expectations.
|

Thor Eljer
British Omega Limited
0
|
Posted - 2015.03.20 20:04:14 -
[8] - Quote
I was originally looking at an R9 280X but I'm not sure it'll manage it. Not worrying about windowed mode as I only use full screen. Sometimes I tab back to desktop but not often.
Everything else I have in my head. One of the boards I have been looking at has a spare PCI-Ex16 slot but only runs at 4x in crossfire and I'm not sure if running a second card in crossfire in this config would be worth it. |

ashley Eoner
461
|
Posted - 2015.03.20 20:07:41 -
[9] - Quote
Thor Eljer wrote:I was originally looking at an R9 280X but I'm not sure it'll manage it. Not worrying about windowed mode as I only use full screen. Sometimes I tab back to desktop but not often.
Everything else I have in my head. One of the boards I have been looking at has a spare PCI-Ex16 slot but only runs at 4x in crossfire and I'm not sure if running a second card in crossfire in this config would be worth it. Wait you seriously think that eve at 1080p is going to kill an r9? really? |

Thor Eljer
British Omega Limited
0
|
Posted - 2015.03.20 20:12:23 -
[10] - Quote
ashley Eoner wrote:[quote=Thor Eljer]I was originally looking at an R9 280X but I'm not sure it'll manage it. Not worrying about windowed mode as I only use full screen. Sometimes I tab back to desktop but not often.
Everything else I have in my head. One of the boards I have been looking at has a spare PCI-Ex16 slot but only runs at 4x in crossfire and I'm not sure if running a second card in crossfire in this config would be worth it. Wait you seriously think that eve at 1080p is going to kill an r9? really?[/q]
No I didn't but someone said something to me and I've been questioning it. I thought a 280X would have been ample for what I want to do with it. |

KC Kamikaze
Blue-Fire Great Blue Balls of Fire
87
|
Posted - 2015.03.20 20:16:20 -
[11] - Quote
for eve you can avoid crossfire and sli. neither are necessary to run many clients at max settings. I've heard of issues with crossfire and windowed mode. SLI now supports 3 monitors so you could do sli if you really wanted to. |

ashley Eoner
462
|
Posted - 2015.03.20 20:16:50 -
[12] - Quote
Running 3 clients on three screens at 1080p with a gtx 660 at +30 fps with dx11 and all details high.
|

Thor Eljer
British Omega Limited
0
|
Posted - 2015.03.20 20:26:10 -
[13] - Quote
ashley Eoner wrote:Running 3 clients on three screens at 1080p with a gtx 660 at +30 fps with dx11 and all details high.
That's good to know Ashely, thank you :)
|

ashley Eoner
462
|
Posted - 2015.03.20 20:37:42 -
[14] - Quote
Thor Eljer wrote:ashley Eoner wrote:Running 3 clients on three screens at 1080p with a gtx 660 at +30 fps with dx11 and all details high.
That's good to know Ashely, thank you :) I even went out to do a mission so I would have flashy stuff happening.
Camera shake on three screens did drive me a little insane though... |

Thor Eljer
British Omega Limited
0
|
Posted - 2015.03.20 20:48:09 -
[15] - Quote
I have camera shake turned off. But glad to know it's not as bad as I was led to believe. About my only other question right now is should I decide to buy a 2nd card is a x4 slot actually any good for running a 2nd card in? |

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
20613
|
Posted - 2015.03.20 20:49:43 -
[16] - Quote
I used a 660ti for quite a while with no problems at all doing what you want to do.
Im now using a 970, and its even better.
Single cards. Nothing SLI'd.
Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?
Vote Sabriz Adoudel for CSM 10!
|

KC Kamikaze
Blue-Fire Great Blue Balls of Fire
87
|
Posted - 2015.03.20 20:55:16 -
[17] - Quote
Thor Eljer wrote:I have camera shake turned off. But glad to know it's not as bad as I was led to believe. About my only other question right now is should I decide to buy a 2nd card is a x4 slot actually any good for running a 2nd card in?
The answer is no. You only want to use true x16 slots for video cards. x4 gimp them. You are better off with one good card than 2 mediocre ones especially if your second slot is only 4x. |

Jenshae Chiroptera
The Volition Cult
1128
|
Posted - 2015.03.20 21:00:55 -
[18] - Quote
Thor Eljer wrote:... Hoping to run three clients on three 1080p displays all full-screen. ... *Sniff sniff* Is that a console player I can smell? 
CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids.
.
SOV is stagnant because Low Sec is not the next step from High Sec and a viable place to grow alliances to the point they can challenge Null alliances.
Fozzie is treating a symptom.
|

ashley Eoner
462
|
Posted - 2015.03.20 21:15:53 -
[19] - Quote
Thor Eljer wrote:I have camera shake turned off. But glad to know it's not as bad as I was led to believe. About my only other question right now is should I decide to buy a 2nd card is a x4 slot actually any good for running a 2nd card in? I turned on everything for the test. Normally camera shake is the first thing I turn off. I was pretty sure I had run three clients on my hd5770 at 1080p with full details but I wanted to test to make sure. |

Thor Eljer
British Omega Limited
0
|
Posted - 2015.03.20 23:10:11 -
[20] - Quote
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:Thor Eljer wrote:... Hoping to run three clients on three 1080p displays all full-screen. ... *Sniff sniff* Is that a console player I can smell? 
Yes. Guilty as charged!
How did you guess? 
@ Ashley - Good to hear. An R9280x which was my first choice should be more than ample unless someone else has a better recommendation! |

Val'Dore
PlanetCorp InterStellar
946
|
Posted - 2015.03.20 23:17:54 -
[21] - Quote
GTX 970 is probably all you actually need.
Star Jump Drive A new way to traverse the galaxy.
I invented Tiericide
|

Jenshae Chiroptera
The Volition Cult
1131
|
Posted - 2015.03.21 01:17:25 -
[22] - Quote
Thor Eljer wrote:Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:Thor Eljer wrote:... Hoping to run three clients on three 1080p displays all full-screen. ... *Sniff sniff* Is that a console player I can smell?  Yes. Guilty as charged! How did you guess?  TVs have less pixels so they throw around that 1080p High Definition HD nonsense to cover that up. I have a 1920x1080, which is the most common 1080 pixels on the vertical count screen at the moment, costing less than 100 pounds new. It is 24 inches diagonally. Consider that it has as many pixels as a 50 inch TV that costs 600 pounds.
Making pixels bigger does not cost much. However, try make them smaller or more dense than they currently are for computer screens and the costs climb rather drastically.
Quite a marketing scam that has been going on for quite a while.
CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids.
.
SOV is stagnant because Low Sec is not the next step from High Sec and a viable place to grow alliances to the point they can challenge Null alliances.
Fozzie is treating a symptom.
|

ashley Eoner
462
|
Posted - 2015.03.21 05:34:59 -
[23] - Quote
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:Thor Eljer wrote:Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:Thor Eljer wrote:... Hoping to run three clients on three 1080p displays all full-screen. ... *Sniff sniff* Is that a console player I can smell?  Yes. Guilty as charged! How did you guess?  TVs have less pixels so they throw around that 1080p High Definition HD nonsense to cover that up. I have a 1920x1080, which is the most common 1080 pixels on the vertical count screen at the moment, costing less than 100 pounds new. It is 24 inches diagonally. Consider that it has as many pixels as a 50 inch TV that costs 600 pounds. Making pixels bigger does not cost much. However, try make them smaller or more dense than they currently are for computer screens and the costs climb rather drastically. Quite a marketing scam that has been going on for quite a while. Yeah I always crack up when someone is like OMG i play on a 50 inch screen YOU PLEB!!!
yeah at 1080p which means the pixels are so large you can easily outline them with a pen....
I must confess I was only running two screens at 1080p. My primary screen is 1920x1200.. |

Jenshae Chiroptera
The Volition Cult
1137
|
Posted - 2015.03.21 13:26:13 -
[24] - Quote
ashley Eoner wrote:I must confess I was only running two screens at 1080p. My primary screen is 1920x1200.. I still covet a 1600 x 1200 because it is the right ration for Baldur's Gate series of games. 
CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids.
.
SOV is stagnant because Low Sec is not the next step from High Sec and a viable place to grow alliances to the point they can challenge Null alliances.
Fozzie is treating a symptom.
|

Thor Eljer
British Omega Limited
0
|
Posted - 2015.03.21 19:40:29 -
[25] - Quote
So I've been looking into high end graphics cards and think it'll be an AMD R9 290 unless someone here can tell me they are using dual or triple monitors with a 280X.
Another question I now have to answer is how to run three clients simultaneously! |

Jenshae Chiroptera
The Volition Cult
1145
|
Posted - 2015.03.22 05:14:02 -
[26] - Quote
Thor Eljer wrote:So I've been looking into high end graphics cards and think it'll be an AMD R9 290 unless someone here can tell me they are using dual or triple monitors with a 280X. Another question I now have to answer is how to run three clients simultaneously! LAME and Link Shell Extension were the old ways, not sure if still done like that.
CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids.
.
SOV is stagnant because Low Sec is not the next step from High Sec and a viable place to grow alliances to the point they can challenge Null alliances.
Fozzie is treating a symptom.
|

Thor Eljer
British Omega Limited
0
|
Posted - 2015.03.23 07:13:51 -
[27] - Quote
Hi All well this is what I have in mind http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/t3Kppg
Suggestions/comments appreciated.
The PSU is overkill at the moment but I want the extra wattage available should I ever go down the crossfire route and the same goes for the motherboard. As it stands one R9 290 should be more than ample but as a current Mac user the one thing that really winds me up is not being able to upgrade stuff as I need to. Add to that I want to dabble with overclocking.
One thing regarding the case: if someone knows a slightly larger silent type case suitable then please make your recommendations.
Many thanks for your help thus far :)
Thor |
| |
|
| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |