| Pages: 1 [2] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Mtthias Clemi
Gallente Infinitus Odium
|
Posted - 2007.01.06 20:06:00 -
[31]
I love bill gates.... beucase he allows me to stream videos and music instantly onto my 42inch plasma HD tv without and lag over a wirelss network and put the sound through my surround system... and i can play halo 2 of course, without having to deal with a lot of technocrap.. before anyone starts talking about how i could alter a certain machine to do so and so and then make it do whatsititwhat...
and DS people will buy it, for the same reason people buy IPODS becuase its shiny and it looks cool, not becuase they are any good at what they do... the system that is better does not always previal.. thats the nature of business.. unfrotunatly.
ok ok that was harsh, i dont hate mods.. as an apology the mod who shows the most wuv gets a free mercedes...
|

Shin Ra
BURN EDEN
|
Posted - 2007.01.06 20:20:00 -
[32]
Yeah Linux sucks.
|

Dark Shikari
Caldari Imperium Technologies Firmus Ixion
|
Posted - 2007.01.06 20:47:00 -
[33]
Edited by: Dark Shikari on 06/01/2007 20:45:02
Originally by: Vladimir Ilych Lunix. Tried it. More than one distro. Didn't like it. Didn't even figure out I was already connected to the net.
Vista Enterprise x64. I have a legit copy (working from home / out of hours etc) at home to a dual boot PC. Works great. Loaded all the drivers on its own. No crashes. Runs every program i have loaded so far.
Hmm.....
I have never had a computer in my entire life that loaded all the drivers automatically with Windows, for any version of Windows.
On the other hand, I have never found a single computer in my whole life where Ubuntu didn't work almost flawlessly on first installation without any extra drivers.
Claiming that Vista x64, probably the worst Microsoft operating system in all of history in terms of driver support, is better than Linux, is absolutely crazy. At least choose an OS with good driver support, like 2000, 98, or XP.
-[23] Member-
Listen to EVE-Trance Radio! (DSTrance channel ingame) |

Hllaxiu
Shiva Morsus Mihi
|
Posted - 2007.01.06 21:49:00 -
[34]
Edited by: Hllaxiu on 06/01/2007 21:45:29
Originally by: Dark Shikari On the other hand, I have never found a single computer in my whole life where Ubuntu didn't work almost flawlessly on first installation without any extra drivers.
Ubuntu's stupid livecd based installer does not work on my desktop (no matter what x settings I send it), I have to use the debian installer based disk (alternate install).
Oh, and my laptop (T41) can't hibernate in edgy eft even though it could in dapper. Known issue since beta 1... --- Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. - Emerson |

Xrak
Black Nova Corp Band of Brothers
|
Posted - 2007.01.10 00:22:00 -
[35]
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SW-041-MS
There ya go Windows Ultimate ú135. Or you can pay the extra ú217 on top of that, for some nice packaging with the retail version.
Originally by: Pwny McPwnerson I would not put a bounty on a washing machine, for instance.
|

Psymon R
|
Posted - 2007.01.10 09:21:00 -
[36]
Originally by: Xrak http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SW-041-MS
There ya go Windows Ultimate ú135. Or you can pay the extra ú217 on top of that, for some nice packaging with the retail version.
One note though, to get OEM software you need to buy non peripheral hardware at the same time. Linkage. So you might as well do a bit of hardware upgrading at the same time 
|

Vari
Carbide Industries
|
Posted - 2007.01.10 11:52:00 -
[37]
Edited by: Vari on 10/01/2007 11:59:23 /me jumps into the Vista debate
While Macs are easier to use, better engineeered and geared towards multimedia, and Linux command-line happy and free from The Man, gamers have always relied on Windows. Macs may take some share of the gaming market thanks to the Intel chips, but the enthusiast hardware community likes building their own boxes and playing games.
The OS depends what you use it for. Don't game and have money? Get a Mac. Don't game and love to customize/learn how something works/DIY, install Linux. Want to play PC games? You'll need Microsoft on your gaming machine.
Microsoft as mediocre/clunky/insecure as some of their software may be has always done a great job of supporting/luring game developers. It is only when Apple or the Linux community put more developer support behind a standard (OpenGL's fantastic) that they can catch up in this regard.
$250 dollars is a price people will pay to upgrade to a already familar OS. Just as you probably wouldn't move to Texas just because 200k will get you a 4 thousand sq-ft home on a nice plot of land (or something like that).
|

hattifnatt
Gallente The Movement
|
Posted - 2007.01.10 14:35:00 -
[38]
Originally by: Psymon R
Originally by: Xrak http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SW-041-MS
There ya go Windows Ultimate ú135. Or you can pay the extra ú217 on top of that, for some nice packaging with the retail version.
One note though, to get OEM software you need to buy non peripheral hardware at the same time. Linkage. So you might as well do a bit of hardware upgrading at the same time 
I got my winXP as OEM the hardware was... 1 mouse 
|

RedClaws
Amarr Dragon's Rage Intrepid Crossing
|
Posted - 2007.01.10 14:52:00 -
[39]
Edited by: RedClaws on 10/01/2007 14:48:25 I say send a nasty mail to the minister in charge of schools and informatics. Tell em you want the goverment to support students to buy vista. I'm sure they'll start putting more pressure on microsoft to lower their prices.
But yah seriously what the *bleep!* is up with those prices?? Like microsoft doesn't have enough money those greedy *bleeps*. They make more money from selling Vista than some African countries do in 10 years.
If it was only 50$ I wouldn't have a problem with buying it seriously how is a full time student supposed to buy himself Vista when it costs him 200$ to even 600$.
And then they complain about piracy and wonder why people do such things...
|

Gone'Postal
Minmatar LuthorCorp Combat Division
|
Posted - 2007.01.10 16:29:00 -
[40]
Not defending microsoft on this one well kinda, but Vista ult edition found all my drivers, (I did update a few from there ones, ATI beta graphics, Sata)
I've noticed better FPS in games like Battlefield 2142.
However it uses shead loads of RAM, and treats the user like a gimp, until you rip the smeg out of it and cut out all of there "Gimp user" options.
Known Issues & Workarounds - The forum to fix the issues of Eve... Godhelp us if the Devs start trying to. |

KingsGambit
Caldari Knights
|
Posted - 2007.01.10 18:52:00 -
[41]
Edited by: KingsGambit on 10/01/2007 18:49:36
From what I understand of the Vista's use of your video memory, as long as you have the full direct3d accelerated desktop/explorer turned on, you'll suffer a 10-15% ish hit to your gaming performance over XP. I don't know, but am fairly sure that DX10 will be released for XP, even if not officially somewhere like Guru3D.com will eventually have stuff like that. Tho my current hardware isn't even DX10 compatible, I'd have to get a whole new rig and I don't see that happening for some time. I think most of the new features of Vista are very much Maccy in their origins...I don't doubt there are changes to the OS fundamentally, but most changes seem to be UI focussed, making it easier (different?) to navigate, easier to handle media in most forms (MP11, IE7), better looking, more up to date, etc. As everything works on my XP PC now, that isn't a particularly good selling point either. I also think IE7 is horrid, I don't like it at all. I'll be sticking to IE6 while I can and Firefox thereafter! At work, we're happily running Win 2k clients and servers. We're going to be upgrading sometime this year, most likely Summer, and will be going 2003 Server/XP clients. There's just no benefit to be had from an organisational perspective by going that extra step. The cons however are numerous...I think Vista does many more things differently than Win 2k compared to XP & 2k, which would alienate all general admin staff who spend their days playing with Word & Excel. The hardware requirements and cost of the OS license are more expensive, and as others have mentioned, it does take a little time after a major OS release before the first large batch of bugs is addressed. In time Vista will become the standard OS as companies like Dell, HP et all sell it pre-installed on their machines. Some businesses will inevitably upgrade, and there are some people/companies that must always be running the newest, latest thing. But 2k and XP, XP more so, both have a long time ahead of them with a huge, existing user-base. I have no interest in what Vista currently has to offer, and it'll take more than costing me 10% gaming performance for a s****y desktop UI to upgrade...especially at those prices!!! PS. If they say " Bioshock" coming out this year won't run on XP I may well reconsider! 
PPS. Did any of that b*******s "Trusted Computing" malarky make it into Vista? I never bothered investigating that far. -------------
My T2 Shop |

hired goon
Infinite Improbability Inc Dusk and Dawn
|
Posted - 2007.01.10 20:41:00 -
[42]
Yeah, Linux is pretty much just better than windows - unless you want to play games. -omg-
|

Mtthias Clemi
Gallente Infinitus Odium
|
Posted - 2007.01.11 00:08:00 -
[43]
Being ignored makes me sad
ok ok that was harsh, i dont hate mods.. as an apology the mod who shows the most wuv gets a free mercedes...
|

Shu'val
|
Posted - 2007.01.11 01:15:00 -
[44]
Originally by: hired goon Yeah, Linux is pretty much just better than windows - unless you want to play games.
What he said :)
|
| |
|
| Pages: 1 [2] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |