| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Mad
Amarr
|
Posted - 2007.04.07 07:27:00 -
[1]
Ok, I know when some of you read this you'll say omfg that idiot, while others will be like omfg thats awesome...
Well heres the story. I like candles :) I'm just girly like that, and alot of the time I spray a bit of my mild cologne on the top of the candle, enough to puddle a bit, and I light the candle. Now the cologne isnt enough to go BOOM, it just produces a nice blue flame to accent the smell of the candle.
Well this time around I was feeling adventurous(prolly mispelt) I noticed I have this can of compressed air, used for cleaning keyboards etc, called Clean Safe Dust Remover... which I noticed if u hold upside down, it sprays out pure propellant... Dunno what the propellant is but its AWESOME... it freezes anythin it touches, its Tetrafluorethane, well I was stupid, and thought lets use that this time!... bad baddd idea... I mean common on the bottle it says dont expose to flame. But I sprayed a bit of it onto the candle then lit it... yea bad idea, the flame immedately spread around 3 ft long and I threw my blanket on it and it died immiately, but I've probably just breathed in tons of toxic chemicals and may die soon @_@
|

Mad
Amarr
|
Posted - 2007.04.07 07:54:00 -
[2]
btw if anyone reading this is smart concerning the chemicals in question and wants to post on here the fact that I actually may or may not die :o that'd be cool because the toxicity of the vapors scares the hell out of me the fact that I may have breathed in carbonyl fluoride and hydrogen fluoride 
|

Pellaeon DuGalle
Caldari Deep Black Industries
|
Posted - 2007.04.07 08:08:00 -
[3]
You're still alive, so initial signs are good. If you don't get breathing difficulties/fainting spells/psychotic episodes within 24-48 hours you're pretty much in the clear.
If you do die however, can I have your stuff?
------------------- "There is one rule for the industrialist and that is: Make the best quality of goods possible at the lowest cost possible, paying the highest wages possible." |

Nyana
|
Posted - 2007.04.07 09:33:00 -
[4]
Linkage Looks pretty safe, I really don't have a clue though.
|

Res Tance
Caldari British Legion The Core Collective
|
Posted - 2007.04.07 10:21:00 -
[5]
Edited by: Res Tance on 07/04/2007 10:17:27 "In a two-year inhalation study, HFC-134a at a concentration of 50,000 ppm, produced an increase in late-occurring benign testicular tumors, testicular hyperplasia and testicular weight."
Harmless?  ------
I may be ambidextrous, but this just means I'm crap with both hands |

Velsharoon
Gallente Endgame.
|
Posted - 2007.04.07 14:09:00 -
[6]
well he did say he was girly
|

qrac
Caldari Shiva Morsus Mihi
|
Posted - 2007.04.07 14:32:00 -
[7]
Originally by: Velsharoon well he did say he was girly
      -------------------------------------------
|

shivan
Rampage Eternal Ka-Tet
|
Posted - 2007.04.07 18:05:00 -
[8]
I'm doing a degree in Human Biology and one of the things I'm studying in it is molecual biochemisty. (Yes, I know my spelling sucks, which is why I have word.)
Anyhow, without know the exact chemical makeup of your aftershave, and the candel and wick it would be hard to tell exactly what resulting chemicals would be produced from the tetraflorethene. I would hazard a guess that the concentration would of been extremely low, and as a result, the chances of your being effected by any harmful chemicals reletivly low. So long as the room was/is well ventelated and that you immedently opened windows and went outside then you should be fine. ------------------
RAM KB |

Mutlu Palutli
Asur Heavy Industries
|
Posted - 2007.04.07 18:28:00 -
[9]
Think I will support the last posters views. Im studying pharmacy at the moment, and as long as you havent been exposed to it for longer periods and/or in larger doses, you should be all fine.
But as suggested earlier in the replies, if you are having trouble breathing, just call the doc, just in case 
/puts on geek glasses The propellant is probably a mixture of propane/butane(most spray cans propellants are) , and is "harmless" when burnt with oxygen afaik. (should result in CO2 and vapour iirc). So just make sure to vent the room, and you should be fine 
/Mutlu
|

Dalanoria
sPaCeBaLlS tHe cOrP
|
Posted - 2007.04.07 18:40:00 -
[10]
I would have been harmful had you just sprayed out the propellent and sat there sniffing it.You ignited the gas, which in all likely hood consumed most of what could have dangerous..
There was a case at CompUSA a couple years ago where some teens DIED from being in a contained room while using this product to clean computers being worked on.
|

mamolian
Vortex. Maelstrom Alliance
|
Posted - 2007.04.07 20:52:00 -
[11]
Looking at that wiki link, their using that particular chemical in compressed pharmaceuticals like inhalers ? Maybe Ventolin/Bricanyl?
-------------------------------
|

Mad
Amarr
|
Posted - 2007.04.07 21:33:00 -
[12]
:P I'm alive! Anyway, I wasnt worried about the tetrafluoroethane itself, I knew it couldnt be to harmful if they used it. What I was worried about was when tetrafluoroethane is exposed to an open flame, it decomposes into hydrogen fluoride and carbonyl fluoride, which are both highly highly toxic even in small levels.
|

Zancoinder
|
Posted - 2007.04.08 16:09:00 -
[13]
Once I turned one of those cans upside down too, and sprayed it on my cousins hand. It burnt his hand down to the bone, and he had to go to the hospital 
|

Mad
Amarr
|
Posted - 2007.04.08 16:41:00 -
[14]
Originally by: Zancoinder Once I turned one of those cans upside down too, and sprayed it on my cousins hand. It burnt his hand down to the bone, and he had to go to the hospital 
My initial playing around with it led me to spray it on my forearm, the moment I pressed the spray button I realized I just given myself a bit of mild frost bite... so I took my finger off the trigger before it did anything bad, just left a red mark that burned like hell for around 5 mins.
|

Sakura Nihil
Tabula Rasa Systems The Star Fraction
|
Posted - 2007.04.08 17:39:00 -
[15]
Here's the thing, I doubt a company would be willing to use a hazardous chemical in a can where they know people are going to be dumb (no offense ) and try to use the propellant for experimentation on themself. If they did, lawsuits = cash loss = less profit and bad reputation, so I doubt it was that bad in the kind of dosage you got.
Get high on it or something repeatedly, then I think you might have a problem to worry about.
|

BlazeRage
Caldari Feral Tendency Ratel Alliance
|
Posted - 2007.04.08 18:05:00 -
[16]
Originally by: Sakura Nihil Here's the thing, I doubt a company would be willing to use a hazardous chemical in a can where they know people are going to be dumb (no offense ) and try to use the propellant for experimentation on themself. If they did, lawsuits = cash loss = less profit and bad reputation, so I doubt it was that bad in the kind of dosage you got.
Get high on it or something repeatedly, then I think you might have a problem to worry about.
i bought a can of that stuff before and when i was checkin out the clerk guy asked for an id. i was surprised because i was thinking "its canned air what harm could it do."
|

Mayoz Miner
Caldari
|
Posted - 2007.04.08 18:31:00 -
[17]
Edited by: Mayoz Miner on 08/04/2007 18:30:18 haha very funny .
I was in work one day and I bet my mate he couldn't hold his hand still while I sprayed this stuff(the propellent) onto the back of his hand. So he did and i sprayed it for about 30 seconds. Well it was that cold it burnt his hand and was it pretty damaged for a few days, i could not stop the tears from laughing , but i did get a bit concerned that he still had a bandage on after 3 days, but he was ok in the end. 
EDIT just seen Zancociders post 
|

Mutlu Palutli
Asur Heavy Industries
|
Posted - 2007.04.08 19:14:00 -
[18]
Edited by: Mutlu Palutli on 08/04/2007 19:15:35
Originally by: Mad
Originally by: Zancoinder Once I turned one of those cans upside down too, and sprayed it on my cousins hand. It burnt his hand down to the bone, and he had to go to the hospital 
My initial playing around with it led me to spray it on my forearm, the moment I pressed the spray button I realized I just given myself a bit of mild frost bite... so I took my finger off the trigger before it did anything bad, just left a red mark that burned like hell for around 5 mins.
Erm.. Might want to get that checked. Can get some really really nasty flouride burns from HF. Burns that might not look serious immediately, but can come later on.
Originally by: wikipedia.org Hydrogen fluoride is toxic and can be fatal if even small amounts are ingested or absorbed through the skin. HF burns require immediate treatment beginning with washing with water but specialized care is indicated. HF acid burns are not similar to those produced by hydrogen chloride (HCl), or other common acids. Onset time of symptoms of HF burns are proportional to concentration. Above 50% instantaneous effects are apparent. Between 20% and 50% clinical symptoms may not appear for one to eight hours. Concentrations below 20% may not result in symptoms for 24 hours.
|

Mad
Amarr
|
Posted - 2007.04.08 21:51:00 -
[19]
Edited by: Mad on 08/04/2007 21:50:06
Originally by: Mutlu Palutli Edited by: Mutlu Palutli on 08/04/2007 19:15:35
Originally by: Mad
Originally by: Zancoinder Once I turned one of those cans upside down too, and sprayed it on my cousins hand. It burnt his hand down to the bone, and he had to go to the hospital 
My initial playing around with it led me to spray it on my forearm, the moment I pressed the spray button I realized I just given myself a bit of mild frost bite... so I took my finger off the trigger before it did anything bad, just left a red mark that burned like hell for around 5 mins.
Erm.. Might want to get that checked. Can get some really really nasty flouride burns from HF. Burns that might not look serious immediately, but can come later on.
Originally by: wikipedia.org Hydrogen fluoride is toxic and can be fatal if even small amounts are ingested or absorbed through the skin. HF burns require immediate treatment beginning with washing with water but specialized care is indicated. HF acid burns are not similar to those produced by hydrogen chloride (HCl), or other common acids. Onset time of symptoms of HF burns are proportional to concentration. Above 50% instantaneous effects are apparent. Between 20% and 50% clinical symptoms may not appear for one to eight hours. Concentrations below 20% may not result in symptoms for 24 hours.
Wasnt hydrogen fluoride that I sprayed on me, it was tetrafluorethane which isnt poisoness but can cause frostbite due to the great amount of heat it absorbs from anything it touches. Sprayed some of it into a cup of water and it froze it :), no I didnt drink it.
The thing I was scared about was the fact that I ignited the tetrafluorethane, which causes the decomposition of it which produces hydrogen fluoride / carbonyl fluoride, both of which are nastey and carbonyl fluoride is a deadly odorless invisible gas so yea I was just worried that when I ignited it, I may have taken in some fumes containing those, but its been around 2 days now so *thumbs up* I think.
btw the propellant in the compressed air can is tetrafluorethane
|

Mutlu Palutli
Asur Heavy Industries
|
Posted - 2007.04.08 23:06:00 -
[20]
ahh rgr 
Only one thing to say then I guess:
    --------- SLEEPER TECHNOLOGY SKILLBOOK AUCTION: http://oldforums.eveonline.com/?a=topic&threadID=503922
|

Constantine Arcanum
IMPERIAL SENATE Pure.
|
Posted - 2007.04.08 23:26:00 -
[21]
afaik the dust remover things are hit-and-miss when it comes to the effects of the chemicals... if it was going to kill you it would have killed you within a few seconds, instantly. you'll be fine.
|

shivan
Rampage Eternal Ka-Tet
|
Posted - 2007.04.09 14:12:00 -
[22]
Just as a note, Florine is one of the most reactive elements known to man, and is so reactive it is not stable in its natural state. Also, Tetrafloraethene is used to make cooking pots and pans non-stick. TFE is also the one of the few chemicals that is non-reactive enough to enanble transportation of Florine. ------------------
RAM KB |

Meeli
|
Posted - 2007.04.10 05:57:00 -
[23]
Quote: "In a two-year inhalation study, HFC-134a at a concentration of 50,000 ppm, produced an increase in late-occurring benign testicular tumors, testicular hyperplasia and testicular weight."
uh oh 
|

Mad
Amarr
|
Posted - 2007.04.10 06:06:00 -
[24]
Originally by: Meeli
Quote: "In a two-year inhalation study, HFC-134a at a concentration of 50,000 ppm, produced an increase in late-occurring benign testicular tumors, testicular hyperplasia and testicular weight."
uh oh 
Note the levels it says there... thats for those idiots that sit there and spray it into paper bags and then breathe in the fumes to get high. They are why ya gotta be over 18 to buy cans of air :P or anything thing they could get high off of.
|

Krexus
Amarr Reunited O X I D E
|
Posted - 2007.04.10 09:46:00 -
[25]
FIREEEE FIIIIRREEEEEEEEEEEEE MUAHAHHAHAHA  -----
Reserved |

Jacque Custeau
Knights of the Minmatar Republic
|
Posted - 2007.04.10 13:17:00 -
[26]
Over here in Boston the local news did a story about teenagers flocking to compressed air cans and sniffing them. The news story claimed they got addicted to it and it was like sniffing glue. So you are probably not in any danger as long as you have vented the room and do not repeat this "Mr. Bean" style stunt. ------------------- |

Roshan longshot
Gallente Ordos Humanitas FREGE Alliance
|
Posted - 2007.04.10 14:22:00 -
[27]
According to the MSDS...your going to be fine. everything is listed as a 1.
Now there is a problem....How old are you? And did you plan on haveing kids? "May cause damage to the reproductive system" "Might cause respitory damage with prolong exposure"
Free-form Professions, ensure no limetations on professions. Be a trader, fighter, industialist, researcher, hunter pirate or mixture of them all.
[i]As read from the original box.
|

Adrian Kerensky
Caldari STK Scientific Rule of Three
|
Posted - 2007.04.10 14:49:00 -
[28]
The proppellant freezes things eh? hmmm
/me schemes
Btw I HAVE to try that. I'll spray some in a plastic cup and throw it in a bonfire from a few meters away, that'll be safe enough probably.
Takes me back about 7 years to when I was 12 and me and a mate tried to make a flamethrower using a supersoaker and a can of petrol after we'd found the keys to the garden shed (whilst my parents were out ofc). That didn't go so well, supersoaker is probably still lying half melted in the wood by my house haha. Will have to have a look next time I go home from uni. Your signature exceeds the maximum allowed filesize of 24000 bytes - Devil
258 bytes over!  |

Tredegar
|
Posted - 2007.04.10 20:24:00 -
[29]
Two things.
1. If you die, can I have your stuff?
2. If you die, I will notify the Darwin Awards people.
"I may be a craven little coward, but I'm a greedy craven little coward." Daffy Duck |
| |
|
| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |