| Pages: 1 2 :: [one page] |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Varick
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 03:19:00 -
[1]
I was reading, I think it was one of the Eve Chronicles, a week or two ago, and it made mention that most inhabitants of the world of eve share a mutual belief in two higher beings, one of light and the other of dark. I wont get into detail, so if you know what I am talking about, please help me out here. I know this is dumb, but does anyone know what this information appears in? I have read and read everything, and I cant find where I saw this, and cant remember what it was called, or the names of the deities for the life of me. If anyone knows, I would appreciate it if you would let me know. Thanks a lot.
|

PussyCat
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 03:37:00 -
[2]
I am the god off the noobs. When I wish I pod dome instantly just by pointing att them. Just kidding I wish 
|

Hippey
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 04:57:00 -
[3]
Buddhists rule! ------------------------------------------- If you kill them, they will die!
Sport the war, war support The sport is war, total war When victory's really a massacre. The final swing is not a drill It's how many people I can kill! |

Kareal
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 05:02:00 -
[4]
Quote: I am the god off the noobs. When I wish I pod dome instantly just by pointing att them. Just kidding I wish 
Pu$$ycat....Ive noticed you use the word "att" a whole lot. Did you know that "att" is really "at"
Just wanted to point that out
|

Viceroy
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 05:26:00 -
[5]
I'm Stavrosian -
|

NewChina
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 05:59:00 -
[6]
most are ying
"i hear and i forget, i see and i understand, i do and i remember" |

Bas Rutten
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 06:48:00 -
[7]
Religion ... never read about that but guess I'll rplay the atheist I am in RL. ____________________________________
Deny the Urge - brutal Death from Germoney
|

Gan Ning
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 11:25:00 -
[8]
Quote: I'm Stavrosian
I too am a Stavrosian. We believe Lord Stavros is the chosen one to lead all races to the other world (jovian space). He also is the one who is defined in ancient texts as the One that will help us get home to the ancient land (earth).
But the scriptures said he would be passed over as Emperor but all who follow him will eventually see him rise and smite CONCORD with his wrath and much-modified-launchers.
Join us. 
|

Talon SilverHawk
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 11:30:00 -
[9]
Quote:
Quote: I'm Stavrosian
I too am a Stavrosian. We believe Lord Stavros is the chosen one to lead all races to the other world (jovian space). He also is the one who is defined in ancient texts as the One that will help us get home to the ancient land (earth).
But the scriptures said he would be passed over as Emperor but all who follow him will eventually see him rise and smite CONCORD with his wrath and much-modified-launchers.
Join us. 
I wish he would lead you all into the other world and I dont mean jove.  
Tal...
What goes around comes around...
|

Reiisha
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 12:34:00 -
[10]
That's a VERY big hint that Tal's giving there guys :o)
Gamersland.nl, DE site voor PC gaming! |

Baldour Ngarr
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 12:48:00 -
[11]
Anybody able to actually answer the question this thread was about, instead of hijacking it to invent their own religions?
It's not like we don't already have enough threads being locked for going off topic. You guys managed to send this one completely off topic in *1 POST*.
_______ "Soon" is an ancient Icelandic word meaning "some time before the next Ice Age." |

Alex Cray
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 12:58:00 -
[12]
Varick,
I think - based on the names of the systems in Amarr space and other background information - the main god resembles Allah. The Amarrians pretty much seem like arabic to me...
I might be wrong though.
|

Madcat UK
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 13:12:00 -
[13]
Hi all DonĘt know about the Arab bit But the empire rules and that is that!!!!
So more Roman or Shinto. Japanese???

|

Raudka
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 14:24:00 -
[14]
Duh
 -- Champion of user friendlieness and proper information distribution Defender of newbies EVE knowledgeBase |

PropanElgen
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 14:43:00 -
[15]
I worship myself and the dark beings hidden beneath waiting to rise. Oh yes, rest assured, the Ancient Ones will rise!
EMBRACE THE DARKNESS!
All the angels and the puny men of god looked away... Frightened to death by the evil that was born on that day!
|

Maud Dib
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 14:45:00 -
[16]
I have discovered since joining Jericho that they worship some sort of wanton Goddess of hedonism. The services involve alcohol induced libertine frenzies that make roman orgies look like an abby.
Except for Jeriel, he never stops making money
|

Eris Discordia
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 16:33:00 -
[17]
look up my name 
I ♥ my pink dreadnought of pwnage Mail [email protected] if you have any questions. |

Bad Harlequin
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 16:58:00 -
[18]
Edited by: Bad Harlequin on 30/12/2003 17:00:08
Quote: look up my name 
no need. want an original Principia? edit: well, parts of one. i have a more-common later-print copy. certain older malcontent elements of the family have some of the MUCH older 'sheaf of photocopies' sheets, tho sadly not a complete set...
you realize your current position is to *eradicate* discord, right? one might even regard certain entities as having extrodinary greyface-like properties.... 
Is Eris 'temping?' Is this just indiciative of the lousy state of the job market, even for transcendent parahuman deities, or what? 
You are in a maze of twisty little asteroids, all alike. |

Bad Harlequin
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 17:01:00 -
[19]
Quote: most are ying
imho there's entirely too much yang-waving hereabouts.
You are in a maze of twisty little asteroids, all alike. |

Brom
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 18:08:00 -
[20]
You'd think that after 23000 years, people would give up on God, Santa Clause, and the Tooth Fairy. 
|

Val Amon
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 18:19:00 -
[21]
I go for whatever the crew of my current ship likes. So that they don't feel bad for murdering people, and so that they go into unwinnable battles. God said we should hail tachyons on the velator who should not be in 0.0. God also said to 2x mwd push that afk mining dude right there out of range of the belt. _ _ How many pilots does it take to wire a Flux Capacitor? 3, 1 to wire it and 2 to talk about how the old one was better. |

Ronyo Dae'Loki
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 18:44:00 -
[22]
Quote: You'd think that after 23000 years, people would give up on God, Santa Clause, and the Tooth Fairy. 
Unless they've figured out that there really is a higher power, then I guess that makes all the athiests look pretty stupid, doesn't it?
/me puts on his flame-retardant suit and waits for the militant athiests to begin flaming
 ------------- My salsa makes all the pretty girls want to dance and take off their underpants. I <3 ( . Y . ) |

Mrissa Easeah
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 19:05:00 -
[23]
Quote: You'd think that after 23000 years, people would give up on God, Santa Clause, and the Tooth Fairy. 
Perhaps, but with anything we humans get ahold of, we very often can't leave well enough alone, and beliefs mutate, evolve, adopt other beliefs into their fold for whatever reason.
Just as plausible as the lack of these things would be a diaspora of all faiths and fancies.
Hell, for all we know, there's a whole pantheon of dental deities! Or not ... I don't think I've seen that many people in Eve with their mouths open. Perhaps dentistry is a forgotten art? 
|

Ruce
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 20:23:00 -
[24]
Quote: You'd think that after 23000 years, people would give up on God, Santa Clause, and the Tooth Fairy. 
Obviously someone who hasn't studied Greek philosophy. Then again that response is indicative of about a 70 IQ.
|

Bad Harlequin
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 20:37:00 -
[25]
Quote:
Quote: You'd think that after 23000 years, people would give up on God, Santa Clause, and the Tooth Fairy. 
Obviously someone who hasn't studied Greek philosophy. Then again that response is indicative of about a 70 IQ.
whereas yours is indicative of a benevolent, tolerant nature  what does religious belief have to do with making spurious claims as to someone's IQ? Go jack someone else's thread, collarboi...
You are in a maze of twisty little asteroids, all alike. |

Porter Hadlend
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 21:20:00 -
[26]
Without getting all "preachy" on you guys. I personally don't enjoy having God lumped in with Santa and the Tooth Fairy.
In an ACTUAL response however.. I think the Amarrian religious system is a grossely morphed form of Christianity. Somewhere in the Eve Chronicles I read about the Emperor declaring himself head of the church etc.. and there is also somewhere mention of religious leaders.. I think (repeat: think) they called the Bishops... I am probably wrong though.. I can't really remember it too well.
Hope it helps somewhat..
Porter
--------------
credendo vides - believing is seeing -=Proud member of the Fountain Alliance=- Hell Hath No Fury Like A Shattered Star! |

Baldour Ngarr
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 21:22:00 -
[27]
Quote: Without getting all "preachy" on you guys. I personally don't enjoy having God lumped in with Santa and the Tooth Fairy.
Which is why he did it. Some people just like to offend. If you had more sense, you wouldn't rise to the bait, and they'd give up doing it.
_______ "Soon" is an ancient Icelandic word meaning "some time before the next Ice Age." |

Brom
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 21:26:00 -
[28]
You're absolutely right. It's evidently a warped form of Russian Orthodox christianity. Need proof? Look VERY closely at a bestower sometimes in good sunlighting. I also read a story about the early amarr people way back in early beta or alpha, as having been descended from slavic colonists. No damned clue where that is now though, or if it was official, so it's a best guess.
|

Porter Hadlend
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 21:26:00 -
[29]
I'm not really "rising to any bait"
It was just a point to be made before I tried to actually answer the question. --------------
credendo vides - believing is seeing -=Proud member of the Fountain Alliance=- Hell Hath No Fury Like A Shattered Star! |

Hematic
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 21:27:00 -
[30]
Quote: whereas yours is indicative of a benevolent, tolerant nature what does religious belief have to do with making spurious claims as to someone's IQ?
Religious belief has nothing to do with IQ.
Then again god as a concept is not neccesarily a religious one. Not being able to make that distinction is indicative of one's IQ.
Most will agree that they exist. In order to exist where every action has an equal and opposite reaction a source must be present. The concept of god is that source. So evolution, catholic, jewish, etc... all acknowledge some sort of source. As for what god's power is or is not is the religious context that YOU have placed there and is open to debate by many.
So when I see someone that cannot make a distinction between a series of actions having a source and some bad religious experience. I think that one's IQ does come into play.
Obviously BH you share some of that inability.
|

loladoll
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 21:38:00 -
[31]
i feel al locking of this thread coming up
You cant prove if gods (1 or more) don't exist. If god exists it is possible to prove it (he/she/it could appear on election day with his favorite ). No conclusive proof has been presented however, ever. Proving something doesnt exist is like weapons of masdestruction : - if you find one, ok, he got some - if you dont find weapons of massdestr/aka as god maybee you just did'nt look good enough, or there are/is non to be found
That is why it called believing (accepting without proof)
Religion of course is something else entirely. E.g. you can have religious atheists (i know some )
______________________________________ live is tough and then you get a clone |

Dust Puppy
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 22:02:00 -
[32]
Edited by: Dust Puppy on 30/12/2003 22:07:58 I remember reading similar things but can¦t remember where I glanced at some of the chronicles and the best I can come up with is the "Sisters of EVE" piece. Religion is somewhat mentioned there.
As for people who say that religion is stupid then I agree to some point as sometimes find me pitying the "believers". Religion is however very fascinating and I like to read about them so I would really like to read some more about the religions in EVE.
Edit: As for my EVE beliefs I just believe anything that Joshua says  __________ Capacitor research |

Varick
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 22:52:00 -
[33]
Well, I hate to end this little "crusade", but does anyone know what the names of the two gods mentioned were, or not? I figured if I brought up religion something like this might happen. I would appreciate it if someone knows. Thank you
|

Raudka
|
Posted - 2003.12.30 23:25:00 -
[34]
Quote: Unless they've figured out that there really is a higher power, then I guess that makes all the athiests look pretty stupid, doesn't it?
/me puts on his flame-retardant suit and waits for the militant athiests to begin flaming

We still haven't found him pretty boy -- Champion of user friendlieness and proper information distribution Defender of newbies EVE knowledgeBase |

Baldour Ngarr
|
Posted - 2003.12.31 01:01:00 -
[35]
Quote: ... It's evidently a warped form of Russian Orthodox christianity. Need proof? Look VERY closely at a bestower sometimes in good sunlighting. I also read a story about the early amarr people way back in early beta or alpha, as having been descended from slavic colonists. No damned clue where that is now though, or if it was official, so it's a best guess.
In the manual, it says they're a rogue offshoot of the United Catholic Church. Since there is, to my knowledge, no such thing IRL as a United Catholic Church, that could mean anything.
As to the Greek letters on the side of a bestower, firstly, they're Greek and not Russian, and secondly, they're there because of a freak coincidence; there happens to be a well-known rock formation on Kulheim which looks very similar to that particular pattern of Greek letters.
Hey .. my explanation's as good as yours. The only "true" explanation is they're there because someone at CCP decided to put them there.
_______ "Soon" is an ancient Icelandic word meaning "some time before the next Ice Age." |

Varick
|
Posted - 2003.12.31 04:45:00 -
[36]
I give up. I'll be in my corner. Alone. .......... ................. ...........................
 anybody there? Will someone just answer the questions! ......... ..............
|

Shintoko Akahoshi
|
Posted - 2003.12.31 07:00:00 -
[37]
Here, have a Quafe.
The Amarrans, at least, call their god "God". There's mention of "Molok" in the "Ametat and Avetat" POTW, too. Molok is supposed to be the dark, deceptive one.
I don't think the various races share a common religion, though. That's one of the reasons for the current struggle between the Amarr and the Minmatar, after all.
And in case anyone cares, Akahoshi are all gnostic posthumanists with a penchant for psychotropic-enhanced meditation. It works for us
There's no meaning to life when you cling only to common sense |

Alex Cray
|
Posted - 2003.12.31 07:26:00 -
[38]
To be frank, I don't believe in God or anything else...
But if there is a God, I am pretty sure he doesn't really care what happens to humanity or what we might say in our prayers. If it really exists then only for setting the parameters of the universe at the Big Bang and probably moved on a long time ago. Meaning we're all left to our own devices.

|

Melchidael
|
Posted - 2003.12.31 07:59:00 -
[39]
"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."
- Voltaire
Short answer: unfortunately, I have not read anything that is similar to what you describe.
Long answer: It seems that there is a great variety among the various religions of eve (I hear tell that the Amarr Emperor even thinks he's god ), and little in the way of commonality between any of them.
|

Gan Ning
|
Posted - 2003.12.31 11:14:00 -
[40]
Lord Stavros will smite thee!
Infidels! AIIIIEIEEEEEE!
* rams ship into a piece of scordite repeatedly *
|

Bad Harlequin
|
Posted - 2003.12.31 13:27:00 -
[41]
Quote:
Quote: whereas yours is indicative of a benevolent, tolerant nature what does religious belief have to do with making spurious claims as to someone's IQ?
Religious belief has nothing to do with IQ.
Then again god as a concept is not neccesarily a religious one. Not being able to make that distinction is indicative of one's IQ.
Most will agree that they exist. In order to exist where every action has an equal and opposite reaction a source must be present. The concept of god is that source. So evolution, catholic, jewish, etc... all acknowledge some sort of source. As for what god's power is or is not is the religious context that YOU have placed there and is open to debate by many.
So when I see someone that cannot make a distinction between a series of actions having a source and some bad religious experience. I think that one's IQ does come into play.
Obviously BH you share some of that inability.
whereas you still talkin' loud and sayin' nothing. Call me when you have something besides tired semantic drivel to contribute - or when you don't copy your "arguments" off of some website.
Not being able to express a single thought of one's own and resorting to petty insults, thinking one has scored some kind of debate points, is pretty strongly indicative of IQ too.
You are in a maze of twisty little asteroids, all alike. |

Bad Harlequin
|
Posted - 2003.12.31 13:29:00 -
[42]
Quote: If it really exists then only for setting the parameters of the universe at the Big Bang and probably moved on a long time ago. Meaning we're all left to our own devices.

So you're saying God is a computer consultant, then.
You are in a maze of twisty little asteroids, all alike. |

Baldour Ngarr
|
Posted - 2003.12.31 14:14:00 -
[43]
Quote:
Quote: If it really exists then only for setting the parameters of the universe at the Big Bang and probably moved on a long time ago. Meaning we're all left to our own devices.

So you're saying God is a computer consultant, then.
If you dissect logically the arguments presented by a lot of the archetypal "Bible Belt"-type religionist (and you get them everywhere, in every religion, and the US Bible Belt types are by no means the worst), you are forced to the conclusion that God is a three-letter word meaning "we don't know."
The blunt truth is, logic, science and reasoning simply have nothing to say about the existence or otherwise of any god. They are all products of this universe, and cannot be applied to questions concerning what's outside it, or who created it.
The pure logician will at this point invoke Occam's Razor, and conclude that it's simply easier to assume the non-existence of any god. The Descartes (I think it was Descartes) followers will point out that, if there is no god and you believe there is, you lose nothing; but if there is a god and you don't believe there is, you're going to have a few problems after death, aside from the regular ones of whether you get deep-fried or worm-eaten. Both of these, of course, have no bearing on whether there actually is a god, or not. And I don't propose to discuss my personal beliefs on here.
_______ "Soon" is an ancient Icelandic word meaning "some time before the next Ice Age." |

Bad Harlequin
|
Posted - 2003.12.31 14:59:00 -
[44]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: If it really exists then only for setting the parameters of the universe at the Big Bang and probably moved on a long time ago. Meaning we're all left to our own devices.

So you're saying God is a computer consultant, then.
... you are forced to the conclusion that God is a three-letter word meaning "we don't know."
May i put this on a t-shirt? 
Quote:
And I don't propose to discuss my personal beliefs on here.
You just did, and thank you for it. Nice post. The details are no one's business anyway.
You are in a maze of twisty little asteroids, all alike. |

Baldour Ngarr
|
Posted - 2003.12.31 15:03:00 -
[45]
Quote: [May i put this on a t-shirt? 
You'd have to check that with Isaac Asimov, who coined the term to my knowledge. And, since he's dead, the only way you could get his permission is if he was wrong in his beliefs and there is a god, in which case, he might not think that now 
_______ "Soon" is an ancient Icelandic word meaning "some time before the next Ice Age." |

Scragg
|
Posted - 2003.12.31 15:07:00 -
[46]
Edited by: Scragg on 31/12/2003 15:08:05 All the religion you will ever need:
The Church of the Subgenius
Scragg, Tyrell Corporation Vice-Director Military Operations |

Bad Harlequin
|
Posted - 2003.12.31 15:11:00 -
[47]
right, so we've got bob AND eris here on this forum now. Is there anyone we're leaving out? Would Emperor Norton care to stop by? Although he's sorta dual-claimed by both Discordians and Sandman readers....
You are in a maze of twisty little asteroids, all alike. |

Baldour Ngarr
|
Posted - 2003.12.31 15:14:00 -
[48]
Still waiting for Blind Io the Chief of All the Gods to show his face.
_______ "Soon" is an ancient Icelandic word meaning "some time before the next Ice Age." |

Tsual
|
Posted - 2003.12.31 15:32:00 -
[49]
Quote: Edited by: Scragg on 31/12/2003 15:08:05 All the religion you will ever need:
The Church of the Subgenius
*After reading through some texts still trying to stop laughing.* --------------------------------------
Tsual - Miner from faith, frigat junky for life. Ritual of the Qua'nadhar. |

Sarkos
|
Posted - 2003.12.31 15:43:00 -
[50]
Quote: look up my name 
*hands Eris back a Golden Apple.
Hey, I think you lost this in Curse.
Either free the slaves or we will come and get them.
|

Bad Harlequin
|
Posted - 2003.12.31 19:10:00 -
[51]
Quote:
Quote: look up my name 
*hands Eris back a Golden Apple.
Hey, I think you lost this in Curse.
 sums it all up perfectly.
You are in a maze of twisty little asteroids, all alike. |

Maud Dib
|
Posted - 2003.12.31 20:18:00 -
[52]
Quote: Edited by: Scragg on 31/12/2003 15:08:05 All the religion you will ever need:
The Church of the Subgenius
Praise Bob! Been taking othe peoples slack since 1985.
|

Johnathan Roark
|
Posted - 2003.12.31 21:38:00 -
[53]
Quote: I was reading, I think it was one of the Eve Chronicles, a week or two ago, and it made mention that most inhabitants of the world of eve share a mutual belief in two higher beings, one of light and the other of dark. I wont get into detail, so if you know what I am talking about, please help me out here. I know this is dumb, but does anyone know what this information appears in?
Is this what your looking for?
Quote: Always a deeply religious people, religion remains of great importance to every Amarrian, a fervour which at various times has been responsible both for great good and great evil.
And its only Amarr.
From Here ------------------------------------- Quantum Industries
|

Hematic
|
Posted - 2003.12.31 21:55:00 -
[54]
Quote: whereas you still talkin' loud and sayin' nothing. Call me when you have something besides tired semantic drivel to contribute - or when you don't copy your "arguments" off of some website.
Not being able to express a single thought of one's own and resorting to petty insults, thinking one has scored some kind of debate points, is pretty strongly indicative of IQ too.
Well thank you for considering my arguments worthy of being published. I can assure you they are not.
However disregarding the argument and chalking it up to plagiarism and making other non-sequiter digs actually just proves what is common belief, you are a hypocrite.
What's next BH, rubbing your ears and humming loudly to strengthen your position?
|

ProphetGuru
|
Posted - 2003.12.31 22:19:00 -
[55]
Can we talk about abortion, politics, and the idiocy of the NCAA BCS rankings next???
 Evolution..... Just when you thought you were winning.
|
| |
|
| Pages: 1 2 :: [one page] |