
Donrell
University of Caille
|
Posted - 2008.02.07 13:37:00 -
[1]
Originally by: Janu Hull
Actually, they apply everywhere. In terms of EVE, its asking me to prove to you I do not intend to harm the corporation I'm joining, instead of someone demonstrating that I do.
It might not be asking you to prove you don't intend to do harm but more like proving you are worth it to join that corp? Don't forget you are ASKING to join that corp. YOU are looking for a corp. All the corp does it announce (in what ever way) that they might be accepting new members. And you decide if the benefits they provide are enough for you and what they ask in return, which might be daily 4 hour ice mining ops, 1B a month donation or your limited API key. And in return you get 'stuff'(Free ships, free access to pos/labs/bpos, regular pvp ops, etc). Not good enough for you? Well then you just aren't suited for each other and both of you will move on.
By claiming corps shouldn't ask for someones limited API key you'd be dictating what is right and wrong for an entire community. Now that's what I'd call erosion of freedom.
Originally by: Janu Hull
I cannot logically prove a negative, so there's no real way I can demonstrate that I have no intent to harm a corp I apply to.
Maybe it's goal is finding out if you are willing to trust the corp?
Originally by: Janu Hull
Besides, what business is it of anyone's what skills I have trained? If I fail to live up to the corp's performance standards through demonstrations of my own gameplay, you can fire me later.
Cause some corps would only be looking for certain kinds of players? And sadly we all live in a world where just someones word isn't enough prove anymore. They ask for carrier pilots and you claim to be one. Well excuse me but I'd want to have prove of that. Be that by giving me your API key(to check skills) or by showing up deep in hostile 0.0 in a carrier. You tell me which one you'd prefer? Or they might be looking for miners. And if they didn't check all they see of you is a freaking noob ship with 1 T1 miner on it. Not you in the Hulk you said you were capable of flying?
It's trust issue both ways imo. Player trusts the corp with his/her limited API key and corp trust the player with appropriate access to corp assets. With enough freedom for both parties to decide when that trust issue fulfilled.
|