| Pages: 1 2 :: [one page] |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 0 post(s) |

Thremin
|
Posted - 2004.04.07 20:29:00 -
[1]
It looks like ATI has released Catalyst 4.4.
Has anyone tried it yet? Does it fix the dreaded VPU bug when launching EVE?
|

Joshua Calvert
|
Posted - 2004.04.07 22:47:00 -
[2]
Those ****@*&^!!!!!
I just literally downloaded version 4.1 because version 4.3 sucked!
Now I'll have to go through the process again! 
LEEEEERRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! |

Sheriff Justice
|
Posted - 2004.04.08 01:11:00 -
[3]
Edited by: Sheriff Justice on 08/04/2004 05:10:22 So far 4.4 seems alright. I checked a couple of highway gates with heavy traffic and it didnt seem to lag or freeze. I will say it is definetly running smoother than 4.3. Unless I see any problems or major benchmark declines Ill likely keep the 4.4.
Hope that helps.
Whats the VPU bug u mention? Ill check it out.
edit: After a full night of playing I didnt get any slowdowns as I did on occassion with the 4.3 So far so good.
|

Estios
|
Posted - 2004.04.08 14:44:00 -
[4]
I have an Ati and am running 4.3 , Im a PC nublar so didnt know it would be good to downgrade to 4.1
I guess I will go get 4.4 tonight , do I just install over the top of 4.3 ie just download and install or is their voodoo ritual I have to do beforehand ?
So HMV consider Andy Williams and Dean Martin to be "easy listening" do they? Tell that to my mate Dave, he's been deaf for 20 years.
|

Joshua Calvert
|
Posted - 2004.04.08 15:31:00 -
[5]
Estios,
4.4 Catalyst drivers are GOOD! I'm getting very nice performance out of them.
you have to uninstall your previous version first of all - Add/Remove Programs then click ATI Uninstall Software Utility.
That removes all ATI drivers etc from your HD.
Reboot, cancel the automatic driver installation process by windows, double-click the 4.4 driver file and you're all set.
LEEEEERRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! |

Sheriff Justice
|
Posted - 2004.04.08 15:31:00 -
[6]
Quote: I have an Ati and am running 4.3 , Im a PC nublar so didnt know it would be good to downgrade to 4.1
I guess I will go get 4.4 tonight , do I just install over the top of 4.3 ie just download and install or is their voodoo ritual I have to do beforehand ?
Do it in this order. 1.) Uninstall the 4.3 control panel and reboot 2.) Uninstall the 4.3 driver and reboot 3.) When prompted with "Add new hardware wizard" hit cancel 4.) Double click on the 4.4 driver Icon and install,, then reboot 5.) Double click on the 4.4 control panel Icon and install,,, then reboot
When your done, right click on ur desktop, properties, settings, advanced, options, and at the top of the dialogue box it should say "Catlyst Version 04.4"
All Done.
Sheriff
|

King PrimaX
|
Posted - 2004.04.08 16:31:00 -
[7]
4.4 didnt work for me in eve, solved my problems my radeon 9200 atlantis had with farcry and battlefield/desertcombat. But eve is more .. so back to 4.1 ;(
|

Sheriff Justice
|
Posted - 2004.04.08 17:48:00 -
[8]
Quote: 4.4 didnt work for me in eve, solved my problems my radeon 9200 atlantis had with farcry and battlefield/desertcombat. But eve is more .. so back to 4.1 ;(
What types of problems are u having with 4.4? Maybe we could help fix them.
It does seem that what works for 9800's doesnt always work with their other products and viceversa. That being said it is entirely possible the 4.4 will work fine for 9800 but cause problems for your 9200. Also, not to dumb it down but did u uninstall/install correct? How may times have u changed drivers? Perhaps theres alot of old junk left on ur system causing the problems.
|

Ichabod Crane
|
Posted - 2004.04.08 19:24:00 -
[9]
Yeah I got the same thing on my 9200 when running 4.4 drivers,
"The VPU has reset the graphics accelerator because it was no longer responding to the display driver"
Then the screen kept going blank and returning with that message and a sick looking EVE splash screen. Had to reboot each time, just ended up installing the 4.1 drivers and it works fine.
|

Thremin
|
Posted - 2004.04.08 19:28:00 -
[10]
Edited by: Thremin on 08/04/2004 19:30:14
Quote: Yeah I got the same thing on my 9200 when running 4.4 drivers,
"The VPU has reset the graphics accelerator because it was no longer responding to the display driver"
Then the screen kept going blank and returning with that message and a sick looking EVE splash screen. Had to reboot each time, just ended up installing the 4.1 drivers and it works fine.
Crap.
I guess I'll wait for 4.5 then. I really wish this bug would get fixed.
ATTN CCP: If this bug isn't your problem, but rather ATI's, please inform them so that we can at least see it in the release notes for the drivers.
|

iMic ger
|
Posted - 2004.04.08 20:56:00 -
[11]
Argh... the 4.4 drivers still dont work with my 8500 Radeon. It's a stupid game to wait for ccp or ati to fix it :(
|

Cormeus Vanks
|
Posted - 2004.04.09 04:54:00 -
[12]
Edited by: Cormeus Vanks on 09/04/2004 04:56:13 I just sent an e-mail to ATI about this. CCP better be reading this thread and talking to ATI about it. It seems all R200 (Radeon 8500, 9200) based cards have been suffering from this problem since Catalyst 4.2.

|

Amiga A4000
|
Posted - 2004.04.09 10:23:00 -
[13]
Yep works fine on my 9800 pro, as EVE's the only game I play I cannot vouch for any other, but everything on my machine, especially Directory Opus works great.

Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make it's own judgements.
 |

Monkieon
|
Posted - 2004.04.09 12:04:00 -
[14]
So what the verdict guys? upgrade to 4.4 or not?
Currently I'm running 4.3 on my 9600Pro.
|

GM sw00sh
|
Posted - 2004.04.09 12:45:00 -
[15]
If it aint broken, dont fix it  |

oei289
|
Posted - 2004.04.09 13:14:00 -
[16]
If you have the 9800, upgrade. 9200 and below, don't. 9600, I don't know. Just try it and see I guess.
|

Joshua Calvert
|
Posted - 2004.04.09 14:34:00 -
[17]
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro here and definitely worth the upgrade - everything just seems smoother.
I've even upped the Anistropic to 8x without a hitch.
LEEEEERRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! |

Monkieon
|
Posted - 2004.04.09 17:25:00 -
[18]
Quote: If it aint broken, dont fix it 
True very true.... but that said I could not resist it.
Happy to report it works fine with no probs 
|

Dorz
|
Posted - 2004.04.10 00:00:00 -
[19]
yep, Radeon 9000 here and it didn't solve the problem. Same VPU error. Stinks.
|

Ynaig
|
Posted - 2004.04.10 01:36:00 -
[20]
The game freezes at the character screen with catalyst 4.4, so it's back to catalyst 3.1 for me, since 3.1 renders correctly the characters with hair on at least on ATI IGP 340M.
Ynaig
|

Qwakrz
|
Posted - 2004.04.10 16:34:00 -
[21]
I had those "VPU Has recovered" error messages, traced it back to a poor AGP driver on my VIA mobo.
Installed the latest drivers for my mobo and have not had one yet.
I am using the newest ATi & VIA drivers without problems
|

Qwakrz
|
Posted - 2004.04.10 16:34:00 -
[22]
Edited by: Qwakrz on 05/05/2004 22:40:54 - Double Post - (Hmm at same time... must be a bug.... Petiton time lol)
|

Monkey Fish
|
Posted - 2004.04.11 01:38:00 -
[23]
ill be getting a 9600XT soon, can anyone let me know if it has problems with the 4.4 and eve or any other game
|

Crawlee Reget
|
Posted - 2004.04.11 18:52:00 -
[24]
Edited by: Crawlee Reget on 11/04/2004 20:35:35 We will know soon.
Ive a 9600xt myself, downloading 4.4 right now. If i dont forget it i'll tell you how it goes :p
Update:
It works quite well, no glitches, no nothing. Works as it should do.
Anyway, off i go.
"Namu namu namu" |

Monkey Fish
|
Posted - 2004.04.11 21:35:00 -
[25]
thanks :)
|

ZenChaos
|
Posted - 2004.04.12 11:06:00 -
[26]
I have a radeon 8500. I tried for about 3 hrs to get a driver to work. I read another post about the remove tool from ati. I was removing the driver through add/remove and it didnt work. I removed with that tool and reinstalled v4.1 catalyst driver, and it works great. So anyone with the 8500(and 9000 i believe is the same prob) download that tool and remove with it, then put 4.1 in. It fixed mine. Hope this helps.
|

Hook1971
|
Posted - 2004.04.13 01:16:00 -
[27]
Same problem here. I have the ATI Radeon 9200 and 4.4 just keeps erroring when trying to load game. Uninstalled 4.4 and installed 4.1 and works fine.
|

Barak Lizear
|
Posted - 2004.04.13 20:37:00 -
[28]
9200 here...seems to be that anything older than a 9600 gets these VPU resets, so perhaps CCP would be kind enough to stick a notice somewhere obvious that Catalyst 4.1 is the latest driver that works with their both their game, and these cards. Even better would be to get it fixed, as there are serious performance boosts using these newer drivers |

GOD050
|
Posted - 2004.04.14 02:33:00 -
[29]
People are whingeing about ATI problems but what chipset/board are you guys running specifically that are having problems? I'm running a 9800XT, a mate is running a 9800 Pro, and we are having NO TROUBLE WHATSOEVER WITH THE 4.3 drivers... and we're both running 6xAA and 16X Antistropic, on 1600x1200. I've heard the 9600s are having issues full stop, and dont really care about any of the other boards myself as I am running an XT why should I? Get a decent graphics card and stop complaining :
|

Alfonzo
|
Posted - 2004.04.14 14:03:00 -
[30]
I have installed 4.1 on my radeon 9200 atlantis, but when i go to start the game, the loading screen appears, and then eve appears in the system tray, but does not come up.
|

Mikaze
|
Posted - 2004.04.14 19:14:00 -
[31]
there is some bug in catalyst 4. use catlyst 3 drivers to load it properly.
|

Solant
|
Posted - 2004.04.14 19:41:00 -
[32]
Quote: People are whingeing about ATI problems but what chipset/board are you guys running specifically that are having problems? I'm running a 9800XT, a mate is running a 9800 Pro, and we are having NO TROUBLE WHATSOEVER WITH THE 4.3 drivers... and we're both running 6xAA and 16X Antistropic, on 1600x1200. I've heard the 9600s are having issues full stop, and dont really care about any of the other boards myself as I am running an XT why should I? Get a decent graphics card and stop complaining :
First off, were talking about 4.4 drivers, and how compatible they are. Second, why not post something even remotely pointful next time. Looks like you didn't even read the thread, and instead saw that the title had something to do with video cards and had to brag about your 'phat setup'. Not everyone can afford to buy the best card every time a new one comes out, and support for older versions is just as important. For the people trying to decide the compatibility of their cards, 9500 pro is fine with 4.4 on my end.
|

GOD050
|
Posted - 2004.04.15 02:37:00 -
[33]
Point in case... everyone is whingeing about the drivers yet I haven't had a problem yet. Worst case scenario is the older cards with the new drivers. It's like trying to do a 100AU warp in an Ibis fully loaded, you'll get there eventually, but you'll have to upgrade sooner or later. Actually I've had my system for about a year now, and the only upgrade had been the graphics card. Seriously though, u cant just expect older cards to keep up with newer games all the time... it's like expecting FarCry to run on a 286... it aint gonna happen.
|

Telos Sascheros
|
Posted - 2004.04.15 08:28:00 -
[34]
Installed 4.4 last night, so far so good. Running a Radeon 9800 Pro here. ----------------------------------------------- Stand tall and shake the Heavens. |

Mr PrimaX
|
Posted - 2004.04.15 18:45:00 -
[35]
i got a question to DEVs .. why is CCP and eve-online on ati¦s home page as Software Partners - Friends of ATI. I there drivers dosent work (or eve isnt coded right)? |

Hook1971
|
Posted - 2004.04.15 23:41:00 -
[36]
Amen Solant. 
|

VaderDSL
|
Posted - 2004.04.16 00:39:00 -
[37]
9800Pro (Nforce 2 chipset)
4.4 Omega's here and running very nice indeed. On afresh install however (new PC)
|

Dorz
|
Posted - 2004.04.16 07:01:00 -
[38]
I've come to a conclusion. Whether it's the right one or not remains to be seen...
With my Radeon 9000, in conjunction with other stuff such as L2 and WoW, there are no problems at all. In fact, the frame rate is through the roof. I am now highly skeptical that this is a problem with ATI. If it was, then it could be assumed that everything else would give the same results. The only variable that has changed is the game itself. Thus, I believe that this is CCP's problem, and that it should be addressed. But, most likely, it won't be addressed, and they will simply hope for ATI to come out with the "magic" driver. The customer base that are having the issues is too small for them to notice, or care, especially the extreme growth that CCP is experiencing with new players each and every day. It's a drop in the bucket.
But what I do know, and correct me if I'm wrong, but with a simple adaptation of a algebra equation, I have deduced that Eve simply cannot run with the 4.4, 4.3, 4.2, with 8500 base cards. Eve was probably designed to run on 4.1 and below. Now the debate should be whether CCP should update and have it work with 4.1+ with the 8500 series, or make the actual company ATI change whatever that 4.2+ DOESN'T have that 4.1 and below DOES have. Seems to me that there are two companies who don't want to go in and fix the problem.
So, to rehash, I believe that this problem can be fixed both Driver side and/or with CCP releasing a patch that makes their game run with 4.1+ drivers on 8500 Series cards. Only question is what side will give in first...
|

CRUSH BOSS
|
Posted - 2004.04.16 11:43:00 -
[39]
Simple realy. Roll back to an older driver that was written for the 9700 and Pro series. Direct X9 any1. This is the issue right here, i think, EVE must use some part of or all of Directx9s NEW features. Is so the OLDER ATI cards will crash every time. Maybe your card sez DIRECT X9 , but if it is one of the older types, or low budget card then yes, you will have problems. Maybe thats why rolling back the driver to Cat 3 tries to fix the problem.... i did say try. At the end of the day you get what you payed for. I also noticed in this post about uninstalling the control panel first then Driver, why would you do this when you can download a SINGLE package Driver.? I owned ATI since 9700pro and never had problems with games. EXCEPT Mechwarrior 4, but that wasnt graphic engine problems it was coded movie settings. At the Moment im running 4.4s but i did have eve runing very well on the 4.3s. "IMO" You get what you Payed for! You buy the Tail end that is where you will stay.! 9800pro-9800XT NO PROBLEMS.
=END OF RANT=
Tech III {Prototype, Interceptor Main Engine Test} Video
|

Imhotep Wade
|
Posted - 2004.04.16 15:05:00 -
[40]
Edited by: Imhotep Wade on 16/04/2004 15:09:41 Crush, I believe you are correct sir.
9600/9700/9800 all have pixel shader 2.0 and vertex shader 2.0 which are both dx9 features. So appearantly ATI's algorithm or methodology for emulating these features in card's that do not have them is faulty. Or Eve is not properly handling the situation where these features are not present. Likely it is a combination of both.
I have a 9700 pro and it works fine.
Nevertheless, I take issue with your negative attitude toward those with older cards. Your card too will be passe one day. And who says they just bought those cards?
|

Tazorth
|
Posted - 2004.05.02 21:09:00 -
[41]
I'm running a Radeon 9600 Pro. When I use the 4.4 drivers, I find it runs, for a while, then the system crashes and hangs while screen goes black, would suck if I was in combat.
Anyone else having issues with the 9600 and this set of drivers?
|

Adriana Silvosse
|
Posted - 2004.05.03 05:46:00 -
[42]
9700 Pro here with 4.4 and the game runs fantastic! _______________________
Hail to the king, baby! |

Joe Blob
|
Posted - 2004.05.03 09:29:00 -
[43]
If you running a 9200 and below (I run 9000) I would recommend the omega drivers, far better than the crap ati push out.
Available HERE
|

Feta Solamnia
|
Posted - 2004.05.03 11:43:00 -
[44]
Cmon ppl get better graph cards... I have a GeForce 2 GTS and it kicks ass... 
|

DeFood
|
Posted - 2004.05.04 06:33:00 -
[45]
9700 Pro + 4.4 works fine. as far as stability is concerned. I DO get a horrible amount of z-buffer issues with some space stations unable to decide which polygons are hidden inside, and which are not.
|

Neric Mileu
|
Posted - 2004.05.04 22:19:00 -
[46]
Originally by: DeFood 9700 Pro + 4.4 works fine. as far as stability is concerned. I DO get a horrible amount of z-buffer issues with some space stations unable to decide which polygons are hidden inside, and which are not.
DeFood, I had the same issue with 9800 Pro. Go into the "Cache" folder of your Eve directory, open the file "prefs.ini" and add the line "advancedDevice=1" (without quotes), then save prefs.ini . Once you're back in the game, you will have some Z-buffer options to mess around with in the graphics menu. I found that setting mine to 24-bit solved the problem for me.
|

Praetor Calisie
|
Posted - 2004.05.05 09:37:00 -
[47]
I have a Asus 9600XT/TVR running 4.4 drivers. Works perfectly except for the z-buffer station issues. I've set advancedDevice=1 and played with the options...
On 16-bit I get the swimming/rolling z-buffer. On 24-bit the whole station just get's flicker holes strobing around it even when you're not moving...
I prefer the swimming/rolling so I'm doing that for the mo...
|

Qwakrz
|
Posted - 2004.05.05 22:48:00 -
[48]
Mobile 9600 GPU K8T800 Chipset A64M 3000+ CPU
Running Cat 4.4 (using the hack to allow install on a mobile GPU)
No Errors, No reboots, No Z buffer problems (Highest setting with the advaced options)
I use radlinker to set my max Z-buffer to match the settings in eve. It can also control the GPU capabilities that get reported to DirectX by the drivers, it may be worth a try.
|

Mean Molly
|
Posted - 2004.05.06 20:27:00 -
[49]
I have Radeon 9600, and it completly locks up my PC! I tried 4.4 and downgraded to 4.3 and 4.2 but still have this problem, prolly cause i didnt bother to reinstall each version...
And i also have the z buffer problem when i can play. Basically i'm stuck in station because it's too dangerous to go outside and crash.... PLEASE FIX ATI GFX PROBLEM NOW
|

Coldfire
|
Posted - 2004.05.08 23:32:00 -
[50]
ive been having random ctd's and system crashes following an update of my drivers, so ive been trying to eliminate which 1 is causing the problem and found it to be the new nforce driver i installed, i reverted to the driver on the mobo disk and my performance and all other probs have disapeared. so to all ppl having probs check ur chipset drivers
|

Dray
|
Posted - 2004.05.09 16:19:00 -
[51]
9800 pro with 4.4, runs fine windowed or otherwise, i believe the z-buffering prob is eve's prob in some cases, in the gamespy devblog it was mentioned by the dev's and it would be fixed.
I picked up this ace book today everyone rates it as a must buy for the budding military genius, tho ive decided to rename it as "Sun Tzu's art of the bloody obvious" |

ErikV
|
Posted - 2004.05.10 10:02:00 -
[52]
I have a ATi Radeon 8500 ALL-IN-WONDER which works fine with Catalyst 3.9 and 4.1 in EVE.
When I update to 4.4, I get the dreaded VPU error. This kind of sucks, because ALL my other games work perfectly with 4.4!
Far Cry doesn't like 3.9 en 4.1 (random hangs), so I have to switch constantly to play EVE or Far Cry.
Either CCP or ATi should fix this problem. Why does 4.1 work and 4.4 doesn't? ---
|
| |
|
| Pages: 1 2 :: [one page] |