| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| Author |
Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 2 post(s) |
|

CCP Whisper

|
Posted - 2008.03.07 10:28:00 -
[1]
Some people have been questioning what happened with regards to the timing of the Mac patch, and I would like to address that in this thread. When I announced that we were planning a Mac patch, it was because we had a small number of fixes at a point where we could deploy a Mac and Linux only patch and see a degree of improvement. In the course of further development work and testing it became clear that we would soon have a number of additional fixes ready for release that would build on those which we already had. In addition to this, some new bugs cropped up which we wanted to squash. Taking the time to do some extra work would mean a much better, more stable client.
One of the things my job as Producer entails is to make a judgement call about things like patch releases, and I made the decision to not deploy a standalone patch for Mac before the release of Trinity 1.1 for a number of reasons. First and foremost, I could not guarantee that this standalone patch would not create some new bugs that could be avoided by giving the developers the additional time to work on preventing this. Second, putting out a standalone patch for Mac creates a disparity in code versions between the different OS versions. This means that when we release a big patch that covers all operating systems, Mac users would have a slightly harder time patching as for instance one of the things that is rendered non-functional is the autopatcher. There is also the potential for additional functionality losses (read: Things break and you get annoyed). Faced with this situation, I felt that the best course was to incorporate all the Mac fixes into the Trinity 1.1 patch.
Now, while I can put my hand on my heart and claim with total honesty that there were good reasons to not deploy a Mac patch sooner, I cannot do the same for my omission to inform you, the users of the Mac client. One of the main things which makes EVE Online special is the degree of interaction the developers maintain with the playerbase, and not keeping you informed about something like this breaches that relationship. For that I apologise, and I will do my best not to have this happen again.
The work that has gone into the Mac and Linux versions of the game client has paid off. Mac users who have taken the time to log on to the test server have reported big improvements in stability, something which is echoed by the testing done both here at CCP and at Transgaming. Trinity 1.1 promises a lot, and I do believe it delivers on those promises both in terms of functionality and improvements to the game.
|
|

Deelron
Gallente
|
Posted - 2008.03.08 00:07:00 -
[2]
Thanks for letting us know now what happened, not to speak for everyone as a whole but we're pretty patient, we just like being in the loop ;) .
|

OwlManAtt
Gallente Yasashii Syndicate
|
Posted - 2008.03.08 00:28:00 -
[3]
Thank you. Thank you!
When the Mac client gets some love, CCP can do no wrong. Feel free to break TQ for the entire day, if that's what it takes.
w00t! --- SVP OwlManAtt, Yasashii Syndicate |

Pak Narhoo
|
Posted - 2008.03.08 07:34:00 -
[4]
Cool. Thank you for letting us know.
All the best for next tuesday! 
----------------------------- No, you cannot have my stuffÖ. |

Bogu D
|
Posted - 2008.03.08 11:50:00 -
[5]
Your openness on the issue is greatly appreciated. Good luck with the deployment.
|
|

CCP Whisper

|
Posted - 2008.03.09 08:10:00 -
[6]
Long patch-notes are long. A little more detail about Macintosh fixes is warranted, so what have we fixed?
- Portraits should now render correctly and not cause crashes.
- Ships can now warp safely without crashing the game.
- Improved D3DX compatibility, which will address several stability issues.
- Reviewed the way the game interfaces with Mac graphics drivers, which will also address stability issues.
Please note that the issues which require a driver fix to resolve will probably remain after this patch. This can include some graphics errors in the map, and occurrences of the "disco effect" in object textures.
These Mac-specific notes are not that long, but they cover a lot of work, especially stuff in the Cedega wrapper. Our main aim with this patch was to address the issues with stability and graphical glitches, plus lay a little groundwork for the Premium Graphics which I will talk about next week. If you encounter any issues following the patch, we would still appreciate the filing of bug reports. If you have any questions about this patch, post them in here and I will do my best to answer them, or go and poke some of the other people who work on this project to come and respond.
|
|

Eigenvalue
|
Posted - 2008.03.09 13:41:00 -
[7]
Fantastic thank you for the openness -- nothing helps more than feedback...
|

Wizzoh
Gallente Center for Advanced Studies
|
Posted - 2008.03.09 17:19:00 -
[8]
There exists no such happieness as the sort derived from a helpful patch and a helpful dev team, thank you.
|

Lebastor
Minmatar Hidden Agenda
|
Posted - 2008.03.10 10:38:00 -
[9]
If the problems mentioned above gets fixed, don't much to complain. Good luck with the patching.
|

James Hetfeild
|
Posted - 2008.03.11 06:39:00 -
[10]
A big thanks to you and your team! It's great to see that CCP is commited to the Mac client, your feedback and hard work means alot to Mac users, and Perspective Mac users like Myself.
|

Hal 1976
Caldari Galactic Wayfarers Union Accord Corporate Enterprise Syndicate
|
Posted - 2008.03.11 09:52:00 -
[11]
been playing since the game came out last november for mac... have a few accounts now and am eagerly awaiting 1.1
Thank you CCP for addressing our needs.
You have my thanks... apologies if i seemed angsty in previous posts.
Thank you again
Bestest wishes
|

William Darkk
Gallente Garoun Investment Bank
|
Posted - 2008.03.11 18:26:00 -
[12]
It'll be interesting to see if we get a performance boost. I've been getting single-digit fps in some missions on a mac pro with a 1900xt. -------------------------------------------------- <3 my Drones |

de Tormes
|
Posted - 2008.03.11 20:24:00 -
[13]
Brilliant! It pleases me and undoubtably a whole lot of people, that you are so open about your development! As Mac users, we're not very used to that from the Mothership :=)
I'm sure I can ditch the BootCamp partition on my Mac soon (I hope) since the only thing I use it for is playing EVE.
|

Xavieer Naidoo
|
Posted - 2008.03.12 02:14:00 -
[14]
Originally by: William Darkk It'll be interesting to see if we get a performance boost. I've been getting single-digit fps in some missions on a mac pro with a 1900xt.
Exactly. I have the same problem. Those are monster-machines and yet Mac client performance is a joke, when compared to Windows client. Not to mention that I'm running premium content on Windows, via Bootcamp. But I still use a Mac client for hauling / traveling. I hope this will get fixed.
|

William Darkk
Garoun Investment Bank
|
Posted - 2008.03.16 18:12:00 -
[15]
Originally by: CCP Whisper Premium Graphics which I will talk about next week.
Waiting with baited breath for this talk btw. ------------------------------------------------- Mac Graphics Performance Guide <3 my Drones |

Roccia19
|
Posted - 2008.03.31 04:29:00 -
[16]
hmm, sure is nice that the program runs stable - most of the time. but what happened to that big "Early 2008" new graphics for Mac and Linux promise that was so openly advertised? Ah, the continuous neglect of Mac users will never end.
Returning to my previous comments: don't make promises to customers that you don't have a shot at keeping....
Please visit your user settings to re-enable images. |
| |
|
| Pages: [1] :: one page |
| First page | Previous page | Next page | Last page |