
Tarm
|
Posted - 2004.04.08 14:42:00 -
[1]
I enjoy MMORPGS and have played several since UO. Due to "growing up" (getting married, starting my career, having kids), I don't have as many hours to spend playing games. I picked EVE as my next MMORPG for this very reason. Skill progression can be done while I work, fix the house, or change my kid's diaper. A few hours a week would not cut it for any other MMORPG, under most you have to spend MONTHS of playtime just to reach a point where you can actually enjoy the game. As I have time restraints, I choose for my character to be industry oriented.
After sitting in the trade channel for the past couple of weeks and reading the various posts on the forums, I have noticed a trend that is quite disturbing for someone who is trying to focus training industry. Anyone can train an alternate character for around 1 week and have an almost perfect producer. What compounds this issue is that there are far too many blue print copies available. The market for selling anything but battleships is virtually dead.
For example: I can train an "alt" for approx. one week to have Production Efficiency 4 (3.5 weeks total for lvl5). I can purchase a Thorax blue print copy off of the trade channel for approx. 250k ISK. I can produce the Thorax in hardly no time and with hardly any effort for cheaper than I could have purchased it. ANY PLAYER can do this. Small skill requirements such as this make it almost impossible to find a buyer for produced goods.
Can the game developers implement different skills for producing different items? Can we have a way to personalize our products? Can you introduce differing levels of quality based on skill levels?
The flood of blue print copies would most likely be lowered to a trickle if the requirement for producing items becomes a path of a career, instead of a week long sidetrack from your main skill progression.
I am enjoying the game right now, but come several months from now, when industry becomes a dead career for me (read: no challenge/reward based on skills), I will probably move on to another game.
-------------------
|